General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

On 11/17/2020 at 6:20 PM, rjshae said:

It's probably old news here, but I just saw the new Dune trailer last night:

It looks... awesome. Great flashback to the book as well.

One important thing to remember about the upcoming Dune film.... It's only half the story.  And apparently, the contracts haven't actually been signed yet by the production company for financing the second half.

They haven't explicitly said where the cut-off point is, but from things that have been mentioned I'm guessing the film cover's the general backstory, the Atriedes arrival on Arrakis, and ends with Paul reaching the Fremen for sanctuary.

That would mean Villeneuve's planned second half would be able to run with the whole Fremen training montage, the Harkonen's brutalisation of the populace, and the eventual Muad'dib rising and crusade and claiming of the throne.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I Saw the Devil  (2010, S. Korea)

Based on some reviews, rented this one via Amazon.  It's basically a revenge movie.  Serial killer randomly offs a dude's fiance, fiance goes after him. There is hardly any characterization outside of a few moments here and there of the trope-y setup kind. Extremely brutal/violent, some great but brief h2h fight sequences, good acting/camerawork.

But the protagonist goes way beyond anti-hero into someone I was completely unsympathetic with by the halfway point (this was probably the point, but it's hard to watch). This is no Hollywood style Taken or similar with one-liners to break mood occasionally. I don't know ... can't say I truly liked the movie, but it was well made and compelling at times to say the least.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not sure where to put this. It's more musical than anything.  Likely posted before at some point but I only saw it a couple weeks ago.  😛
Anyway, it's by the same guy who did a popular Data & Picard video w/the same concept.  Takes sound effects and dialogue from movies/shows and turns them into a song.  I like the way this one slowly builds and by the time you get to the axe thru the door and "play with us Danny" bits I feel like I've seen something majestic.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hah, I remember listening to some of Pogo's early songs (mostly Disney-related) back in like...the mid- to late-2000s. Of course, back then, he was known as "Fagottron" (for real, not a joke), and I guess since then he's openly come out as being a homophobe and an anti-feminist, and also made a video celebrating the Orlando nightclub massacre from a years back (among other things), which I guess makes a little sense in retrospect. Still makes neat little tunes, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dune-matrix-all-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-1234602168/

Well that could have a few interesting effects on the movie industry...

Warner Bros. Pictures Group has announced its entire 2021 film slate will open via a “distribution model in which Warner Bros. will continue to exhibit the films theatrically worldwide, while adding an exclusive one month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release.” The strategy is identical to studio’s upcoming release of “Wonder Woman 1984,” which launches in theaters and on HBO Max for a month on December 25. Following the one-month HBO Max streaming run, all films will continue to play exclusively in theaters “with all customary distribution windows applying to the title.”

Warner Bros. has the following films included on its 2021 slate for now (release dates could change, of course): “The Little Things,” “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Tom & Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “In The Heights,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” “The Suicide Squad,” “Reminiscence,” “Malignant,” “Dune,” “The Many Saints of Newark,” “King Richard,” “Cry Macho,” and “Matrix 4.”

^  I am a little confused re: HBO Max.  I sub to HBO thru Amazon Prime.  When I go to HBO listings, at the top/there's a banner that says I can access HBO Max w/my Amazon login.  I click on that and it just shows me ... the same list but in a slightly different formatting.   >.>

Are they the same or what?  Is HBO just called HBO-Max now?  Edit:  HBO Go, HBO Now, etc.  I officially have/chose none of those either and thus have no clue what's mixed in with what.  Why do they make it so confusing.

Wikipedia: for US

The majority of active subscribers to either HBO Now or the HBO pay TV service (which includes HBO Go) at time of launch can access HBO Max for no extra charge, with all three services generally sharing the same price point of $14.99 per month. However, this transition is contingent on the customer's current provider or biller having signed a new distribution agreement for HBO Max with WarnerMedia.[17][51] For certain distributors that are members of the National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), access to HBO Max will be rolled out later in 2020.[52]

Edited by LadyCrimson

On 12/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, Raithe said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dune-matrix-all-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-1234602168/

Well that could have a few interesting effects on the movie industry...

...I found some of his comments interesting re: a possible change in our ability to retain and form memorable memories of film/tv because of streaming, instant access, binging at home.  I think I largely agree with him/streaming affects me the same way, long-term.  I don't really miss the movie-theater itself, and I certainly hate having to wait week to week for new episodes, but I think that all did result in less long-term memory of something (heck half the time I can't even remember if I already saw a film/show from a couple years ago) and "binging" tends to make me a lot more blase (and a lot faster, because way more consumption over a shorter period of time) about tropes, trends, whether something seems cool, amazing, interesting, everything.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/legendary-entertainment-warner-bros-hbo-max-deal-dune-godzilla-1234847605/

Legendary Entertainment, the production company that co-financed “Dune” and “Godzilla vs. Kong,” may take legal action against Warner Bros. over the studio’s decision to send its movies to HBO Max at the same time they debut in cinemas.

Legendary financed a significant portion of “Dune,” which cost roughly $175 million, and “Godzilla vs. Kong,” which carries a price tag around $160 million. Yet the company was largely kept out of the loop that their films would be included in Warner Bros.’ plan to send 17 films — its entire 2021 slate — to the subscription streaming service and any open movie theaters.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Amentep said:

what a mess

so, take one part the mission from amazing stories (1985), and one part nightmare at 20,000 feet, then add in a bit o' sucker punch.

am hopeful the loc-nar is in the box 'cause alternatives is all worse.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/jason-momoa-josh-brolin-defend-villeneuve-warner-bros-fight-dune-1234604046/

Villenueve's saying that WB's decision to split film releases over stream and cinema could kill any decision to let him film the 2nd part of Dune.

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Sucks for him but he can take his ball and go home for all I care. I'm watching all these movies at home.

Yes, but potentially it means we won't get a full Dune made.  If they don't feel the first half makes enough money, he won't get the 2nd half produced.

So it's not just him venting on the artistic need to see things in full cinematic screen experience.

Dusting off my old DVD collection, I rewatched Finding Nemo for the umpteenth time. One of my favourite movies ❤️

As a counterpoint, wash away the sweet taste, Event Horizon was next. Somehow that movie always make me think of the WH40k universe 👀

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein