Gonna make a bit of a rundown here as to my thoughts about how likely it is to see each companion from the past games to return for the next one, based on my expectations of what a third Pillars would be tackling in terms of conflict and themes. So basically with Deadfire we're left with a major conflict at hand which is the Wheel having literally been destroyed, and kith and gods alike needing to figure out a way to rebuild it so that souls can once again pass to their next lives and so on so forth. Naturally I'd expect the third game to deal with this conflict... But from a thematic standpoint also deal with the relationship between gods and men, of the move towards a more secular and humanist society as the past connection between the aforementioned two is reexamined and reevaluated, or maybe even restated depending on the Watcher's choices leading into the creation of this new "Wheel" and so on. So, if so I expect more involvement with gods, more debates about religion, animancy and general existentialist stuff, more Watcher shenanigans and so on (though it may well be me expecting what I'd *want* to see instead, as it is what I love most about this saga... But I digress).

So, with this in mind, here's the list of companions ranked from most to least likely as far as I see it, with an explanation for each...

(As a small caveat I'll mention that I haven't played any of the DLCs for Deadfire yet, so I don't know Vatnir at all nor have I seen any of the new stuff for the other sidekicks and so on)

• Eder: He's the franchise's mascot, for better or worse, and I cannot imagine him *not* being in another game involving the Watcher. Initially I reckoned he'd have a little more at stake with the conflict of Deadfire given it's *Eothas* of all beings that we're chasing, but that was rather underused or underdeveloped... So I don't exactly see a thematic link with this third part beyond general Eothasian beliefs/faith keeping him doing what was Eothas' will, and maybe the fact that he is one of those few who knows straight from the horse's mouth what the gods truly are. Same could be said about any of the other companions, but he seemed especially affected by the revelation.
  • Aloth: Semi-mascot status, I suppose. As a character that holds a deep relationship with the Leaden Key either way, he seems rather primed to have an investment in the events that would potentially change the relationship between gods and kith forever. The Leaden Key for one would definitely have an interest in influencing that process in some form or other. Besides, whether or not he continues his work dismantling/reforming the cult at the end of Deadfire, it still leaves him in a perfect position to pop up elsewhere in the world *or* follow the Watcher in a new adventure that may also further whatever goals he now has.
  • Ydwin: Ever since she was announced as a potential eighth companion she's grown to be something of a fan favourite, and given that she never quite received a full companion treatment the devs could maybe fulfill that part by her inclusion in the next game. Regardless, her conflict, her interests and her profession seem especially poignant for what is going on currently in Eora. Already before Eothas did His part bringing down the Wheel, she'd found a way to remove herself of it, and this places her as both a character far more aware of the inner workings of the Wheel and reincarnation system than any of the other companions thus far, and with a pretty singular stance on the matter too. Much like Pallegina, Maia, Serafen and Tekehu were the voices of their respective factions in Deadfire she could be something of a voice for animancy or the more secular side of the argument going into the third game... Or maybe just another view within several relating to this matter.
  • Kana: There's a pretty massive gulf between the top three, who I think are all likely or at least possible, and the rest of these who I feel are more likely *not* to appear instead. Of these I'm not sure why Kana's the most likely, but I reckon it's because he's the one with the greatest combination of autonomy and motivation to join the Watcher in a new adventure if it should so happen. As a student of lore he's likely to want to observe and record this particular historical event from as close as he possibly can, and how better than with the figure seemingly at the centre of this conflict? Add to this that he's something of a fan favorite too.
  • Xoti: Xoti's motivations to follow the Watcher are somewhat similar to Edér's - potentially strong relationship with the Watcher (especially if they are lovers and so on), a follower of Eothas doing the last of Eothas' will, decent autonomy and so on. She could possibly take a stance rather opposite to Ydwin's own, or maybe a more positive take on the influence of religion and the freedom of belief following Eothas' own desires for kith, whilst opposing another more dogmatic or gods-fearing character and so on. My concerns about her are whether we *need* two representatives of Eothas in the first place, and whether she is liked enough by the community or is interesting enough as a character to justify a return (granted, this last bit can be applicable to Kana too).
  • Rekke: Again, people have seemed to taken pretty closely to Rekke, and the fact that he's basically learning of the rest of Eora from the Watcher's hand places him a little closer to his adventures than the likes of other sidekicks, who as fun as they are don't really have much of a motivation to follow the Watcher around. But this would also assume Rekke was taken in as a sidekick and the Watcher actually took time to talk and explore Rekke's past and whatnot - which could well not be the case, and then he'd have little reason to be attached to the Watcher in the first place. Rekke's own relevance to the conflict I outlined before is negligible too, I feel, which doesn't help matters. I can actually see a scenario where he comes back as an NPC of sorts in whatever stronghold we set up this time around than an actual companion, kind of how the OP was suggesting.
  • Hiravias: Plenty of autonomy and a connection with the overarching themes of the Pillars franchise given his faith for Wael and the way in which in the first game he was something of a voice for the debate about the *logic* of men opposed to the logic of gods and so on. Maybe his part of the dicussion is done at this point, but regardless I always found his character to have some of the most interesting and perspicacious takes in all matters religious in the first game and, indeed, the saga as a whole. On the other hand he doesn't seem someone who is awfully concerned with the "current affairs of Eora" and seems to only join you the first time around on something of a whim which happens to be convenient to him in the long run. He could appear but I don't feel like he'd have a specific motivation to be wherever the game takes place in or to actively seek out the Watcher for that matter.
  • Pallegina: Dunno what to make of her really. She was something of a fan favorite in the first game and people looked forward to seeing (and romancing, RIP) her in Deadfire, but I for one was quite lukewarm about her treatment in the sequel and haven't seen much love elsewhere either. Regardless, by the end of Deadfire she's either pardoned by the Ducs and reinstated into the Brotherhood, or banished forever, and all that leads after seems very final and I just don't see why she'd have any reason to return, or any motivations that wouldn't simply feel tacked on. As a godlike and a hard atheist she could have some investment in the conflict in that regard, but nothing unique enough to justify her specific presence the way it would Ydwin, for example.
  • Tekehu: He's great, but again, I don't see much reason or personal motivation for him to be in a sequel or to really leave the Deadfire Archipelago anyways. It feels like his story, and his part within the Watcher's story, is done.
  • Maia: Maia was a mistake. Far as I'm concerned, nothing gelled about her character whatsoever, her "arc", such as there was one, went nowhere, her views seemed contradictory, she seemed to exist in Deadfire to be a voice for Rauatai and little else. Unless the followup happens in Rauatai itself I don't see her making an appearance, and even if it does I don't see why we wouldn't be better off having Kana instead.
  • Serafen: Great, hugely likable character, but already in Deadfire his relationship to the story and conflict felt tangential at best, and was likely the loosest faction representative we had too. His character arc was satisfying within its own little microcosm but it's not something that seemed terribly interesting or relevant in the greater scheme of things, the way some others were. Much like Hiravias I also feel like he didn't have much of a personal motivation for following the Watcher in the first place (opposite to Hiravias, he was kind of forced into it), and by the end of the game he doesn't seem to have any real motivations to leave the Deadfire or the pirate's life. All in all I'm glad we had him in Deadfire but I don't see him returning nor would I miss him in a sequel either.
  • Mirke/Fassina/Konstanten: I have very little to say about all these because I didn't invest much time with them. Based on my limited experience with them, they're all colourful enough characters with enough autonomy to follow the Watcher in a new adventure if they so wished, but with no real hook to do so off the top of my head beyond a mere "they tagged along". So, in theory there's nothing preventing them from returning, I just don't see why the devs would bother.
  • Sagani: Like Pallegina, her arc is done. Unless the third game involved Naasitaq in some fashion I see absolutely no reason for Sagani to return.
  • Maneha/Zahua: Grouping these two because the reasoning is pretty similar as the above - basically their arcs are done. And they don't even have a setting to justify their return either.
  • Durance: Ignoring the obvious reason that the character was created and written by Avellone, if I'm not mistaken Eld Engrim also suggests early on that Durance died by the time of Deadfire's events. It's a shame as no doubt he was one of the richest characters in the first game in terms of both lore and relationship to the story/themes that still drive the saga to this point, but for what it's worth his arc was also pretty concluded by that point.
  • The Grieving Mother: Everything I wrote about Durance applies to the Grieving Mother too, only that I feel her existence was way more self-contained and her arc was also given a much clearer conclusion than Durance's. If Avellone was still around I could have seen a potential return of Durance in a sequel, but never of the Grieving Mother.
  • The Devil of Caroc: She's dead, Jim. At least she made for a good breastplate.

I've kind of read through most of this and skimmed the rest.  I don't know that I entirely agree with your conclusions, but it's great that you put this much thought into it.

One side note before I get going.  I always assume that Eder and Aloth come as a package, since they use the same voice actor.  Hey, it's not an absolute lock that both would be in a PoE3 if one was, but it does seem at least somewhat likely that if you had one, you'd have both.  Anyways, moving on...

Eder: He seems to be the Watcher's best buddy who will always have his/her back.  Not a guarantee that he'd be in a PoE3, but that seems to make it more likely than the other NPCs (using NPC rather than trying to constantly type out Companion and Sidekicks).

Aloth: Personally, I wish that Aloth would go away.  I've never warmed up to him.  About the best part of Aloth is the interactions with his secondary personality.  And that's not a lot to hang one's hat on, so to speak.

Rekke: I think that it would depend on what the story of a PoE3 was.  If the PoE3 story was to take Rekke back to Rekke-land, then it seems rather likely that Rekke might be a full on  Companion.  OTOH, if the PoE3 story remained in the known part of Eora, Rekke might be history.

Ydwin:  I don't know if there's anything tying her to the Watcher.  That said, I think that she's an interesting character and it'd be nice if she stayed with the Watcher. Heck, it might even be interesting if the devs let Eder and Aloth go their own way, and pick a couple of different NPCs to be the Watcher's best buds.  And I'd suggest Ydwin fill Aloth's slot as a spellcasting buddy.  And then pick someone else to be the physical combatant pal.

Kana: I agree that there really should be a strong tie between him and the Watcher, largely based on Kana's love of lore and wanting to see what the Watcher does next, since "you" seem to be at the heart of so many major events that affect Eora.

Konstantin: Nothing about him interests me.  Maybe it's because I like characters who fit the stereotype of their fantasy race, but I'd rather have a Mountain Dwarf who was a fighter, priest, or the combo of the 2.

Mirke:  I don't mind her as the perpetually drunk pirate girl, but I do not like her as a monk.  It just seems so damned wrong.  From my perspective, she should have been a pure rogue, a swashbuckler, or possibly a rogue/chanter (or fighter/chanter).  To me, monks should be characters with a lot of discipline, and Mirke is exactly the opposite of that.  And honestly, I don't really see her as the sort of character I'd want around for PoE3.  

Maia:  The devs obviously needed a companion to be the RDC's voice with the Watcher.  And maybe they didn't feel that a Chanter (i.e. Kana) was a good fit for this role.  Maybe they saw the character who would fill the role as being some sort of soldier, and it just progressed from there.  Or maybe it was as simple as the voice actor who played Kana in PoE1 wasn't available for PoE2.

Xoti:  Nothing really against her, but I'd rather see a different priest companion.  (Perhaps, it could be the Mountain Dwarf idea I mention above...)

Fassina/Vatnir: Neither of these two strike me as adventurers at all.  Fassina's "paper doll" figure on her inventory page show me a character who looks like I should have left her back in Arkymr's magic shop.  And Vatnir strikes me as too much of a coward to be the sort of adventurer a veteran Watcher would want to have at his/her side full time.

Pallegina: I like Pallegina and love her accent, but I think that it's time to move on.

As for the others I haven't mentioned, I pretty much agree with you.  Besides, there really should be some turnover in the playable NPCs just to keep things fresh.

One idea for a character that could be interesting comes from Beast of Winter.  Remember that pale elven warrior whose soul you met in Rynrgand's realm?  The one with the somewhat flat, emotionless voice with a hint of an exotic accent.  Now that character's dead, but I'm think that a character based on sort of the same idea.  A ale elven female fighter or paladin who had a similar accent (perhaps even the same voice actress) might be really interesting, particularly if she had a bit of a snarky "straight man" attitude.  Sort of the way that Spock in the original series could be really snarky (particularly to McCoy) in spite of his Vulcan emotionless.  The one downside of this character being a pale elf would be if Ydwin was still around.  It might be better if this character was either a wood elf, or could be a pale elf if Ydwin wasn't one of the playable NPCs.  Come to think of it, this character wouldn't even need to be a fighter or paladin.  I could see her as a wizard or a ranger too.  Probably not a chanter or a barbarian.  Maybe a monk.  Probably not a cipher, if only because why bother creating another pale elf cipher when you have Ydwin. I guess what it comes down to is that I really loved that Beast of Winter NPC's voice, and would love to have it used in a Companion if there was a PoE3.

Anyways, those are my thoughts...

I may make a more thorough post regarding this once I replay through both games anew, but for now...

I would be very sad if Eder and Aloth weren't in PoE3, personally. They're not only series staples at this point, but both have very interesting ties to the major plotline(s) so far - and I, at least, enjoy both their personalities. Plus, I had a soft spot for Aloth since PoE1 first came out... and I will fully admit I enjoyed his romance. I think it was subtle enough to not be distracting, but also not egregious to go through. Granted, I also use quite a lot of romance addition mods for him in Deadfire.. so I am a little biased.

As to people I want to see besides them? Tekehu and Xoti both were interesting to me, and I grew fond of them both over the course of the travels through the Deadfire. I'd also really love to see Sagani and Hiravius back, but at least with Sagani, her journey is kind of "finished"... 

I'd really like to see Ydwin and Fassina fleshed out as full companions, too.

• Like 1

Just recently played FS, I think Fassina might be an interesting choice, maybe on her way to scribe new magic so she can be Archmage. 

And based on the end game story, maybe Bearn as substitute for Eder (assuming Eder would train him), or heck maybe both Eder and Bearn. 

And Rekke definitely, and maybe one location at his homeworld or homeland. 

A new Godlike such as Abydon, Ondra, or Rymrgard would be nice too. 

I hope there is no romance-able companion in poe 3 or maybe try not to make most single character is playersexual because its lazy writing. And also they should make female companion more beauty.

The romances in Deadfire are horrible...Obs should avoid writing them at all costs haha.

Now, when disposition and reputation gain systems are fixed, I think they are alright, actually. They are not great - I don't think the game would loose anything if they weren't there, but they don't annoy me or hurt the game the way they did when everyone would try to date the Watcher the minute they joined the party. 

Please don't replace Eder with Bearn.

If Bearn is an interesting character himself, it will be cool to see him as companion in the sequel. But I don't think he showed enough personality in the story.

Maybe make him an important npc and give him more character development.

If we are going to have a "next generation" companion I hope it will be Vela.

Edited by napsstern
  • Like 1

Eder absolutely must be in PoE3. Must!

Besides him I think Ydwin makes sense and forever-needy Aloth, but PoE 3 could really wipe the slate clean since so many of the companions have their reasons to leave. I don't think I can deal with blindly loyal Pallegina anymore : X (unless there is a story arch to convince her otherwise).

What I'd love to see is Obs pushing the envelope with cameos. The formula usually is - based on the decisions in the previous game, you get a brief cameo, usually having little to no influence besides nostalgia.

However in PoE3 I'd like to see see your PoE2 companion decisions actually influence the story or help out in some way. If you nudged Xoti to the light side she will show up and help during an Eothos or Eder quest. Otherwise you only hear rumors of her bloodlust but may be able to track her last known whereabouts and find a powerful item. Tekehu - if he stays an artist you can encounter him on your travels and he may have a quest, but the Huana haven't progressed as much as you'd think. On the other hand, if he did unite the tribes, he is in a position of power and allows easier persuasion checks with the Watcher but does not join you for any quests.

Mass Effect did stuff like this to a degree and I would love to see it.

Edited by Verde

@Verde, I really hope they end the Watcher saga and just start over somewhere in the future where the effects of Eothas' actions can be seen. Just continuing the saga where it left off feels really stale and forced. I don't think it will be any good. We're better off going to the future where the Watcher and his palls are stuff of legend or maybe older or whatever. Probably shouldn't be part of the party. But it may be cool to have Eder join a new fresh party, but himself being a veteran and 10-15 years older. I rather not have any of the other party members have a revisit. Most of them are just too annoying. Maybe they can be an NPC somewhere that doesn't join the party. But going through more forced story with the same stale team. Nah. It had a good run, but it's time for new things.

I hope there is no romance-able companion in poe 3 or maybe try not to make most single character is playersexual because its lazy writing. And also they should make female companion more beauty.

I would prefer that they put romance with Pallegina. XD

She deserve love.

She doesn't and will never even love herself. Plus she's super self righteous, short sighted and works for money grabbers. Seriously not a woman I would ever want to be near to. She's got 0 redeeming features.

Edited by AeonsLegend

I'm fine with that as well Aeons. I would miss Eder tho haha. Whatever they do I want more companion reactivity, one of my biggest gripes about Deadfire. I'm sure it's crazy time consuming to code all the variables for each convo so the solutions is simple - create reactivity for important convos or decisions, not every single one.

Edited by Verde

i hope pillars of eternity 3 is not impossible.  from what i have seen after november the sales improved a little. perhaps because of the console sales ?  if pillars 3 be ever released. i think a idea could be ( besides doing an epic game above level 20, which would be more difficult )   to create 2 characters. the watcher from poe1 and poe2 , which would be a non-playable npc  who could even become an antagonist depending of your choices and whose story (and that of featured old characters)  would depend on it. and your new level 1 character,  i think the poe 1 and poe 2 characters should probably only appear as npcs in the new games if it would not be an epic game. your new character would start in level 1.

i hope pillars of eternity 3 is not impossible.  from what i have seen after november the sales improved a little. perhaps because of the console sales ?  if pillars 3 be ever released. i think a idea could be ( besides doing an epic game above level 20, which would be more difficult )   to create 2 characters. the watcher from poe1 and poe2 , which would be a non-playable npc  who could even become an antagonist depending of your choices and whose story (and that of featured old characters)  would depend on it. and your new level 1 character,  i think the poe 1 and poe 2 characters should probably only appear as npcs in the new games if it would not be an epic game. your new character would start in level 1.

Nouser, honestly, *if* there's a PoE3, it seems to me like the devs were lining things up for it to happen in Yezuha, where Rekke is from.  There seem to be plenty of hints in PoE2 pointing in that direction.  And were that the case, I think that the point would be for the Watcher to take Rekke home.  However, I doubt that that's set in stone.  Heck, there are no guarantees that there'll be a PoE3 at all, though it'd be VERY sad if there wasn't a 3rd installment in this series.

romances are ok as long as they are very well made (some dragon age romances are bad btw , most of baldurs gate ones  better) . the game should nbot overly focus in romances.  i think xoti romance was good in my opinion. maia, not so much. 

The Grieving Mother: Everything I wrote about Durance applies to the Grieving Mother too, only that I feel her existence was way more self-contained and her arc was also given a much clearer conclusion than Durance's. If Avellone was still around I could have seen a potential return of Durance in a sequel, but never of the Grieving Mother.

And I killed her in the first game. (Crazy cat ladies. Ew.)

• Like 1

The Grieving Mother: Everything I wrote about Durance applies to the Grieving Mother too, only that I feel her existence was way more self-contained and her arc was also given a much clearer conclusion than Durance's. If Avellone was still around I could have seen a potential return of Durance in a sequel, but never of the Grieving Mother.

And I killed her in the first game. (Crazy cat ladies. Ew.)

You seem obsessed with hating this fictional character.  

Edited by bonarbill

• 2 weeks later...

Nouser, honestly, *if* there's a PoE3, it seems to me like the devs were lining things up for it to happen in Yezuha, where Rekke is from.  There seem to be plenty of hints in PoE2 pointing in that direction.  And were that the case, I think that the point would be for the Watcher to take Rekke home.  However, I doubt that that's set in stone.  Heck, there are no guarantees that there'll be a PoE3 at all, though it'd be VERY sad if there wasn't a 3rd installment in this series.

That Rekke story sounds like a really dumb idea. Especially since Rekke isn't a full fledged party member with no investment into the story whatsoever.

No I stand by the fact that PoE should not continue with the Watcher and have a new type of protagonist emerge in the future. Some time needs to have passed since PoE2. A protagonist that can deal with the fallout of Eothas' actions. Have previous party members or characters just pop up as cameo's or maybe as part of a side quest or something. Or not at all.

One of the main gripes I had with PoEII was how little impact your actions in PoE seemed to have on your party. Only Eder was agreeable. Everyone else was like: ah yea we travelled together for months, shared life, misery, dreams, happiness, hardship. Oh and we stopped one of the Gods from destroying us, killed dragons and ended the hollowborn crisis. But yea now you said you don't like cookies so now I hate your guts. 

The introduction of your old team came of really wrong. Especially Aloth and Pallegina. If it was reallity I would have told them to piss off. Ah yes this reminds me of the time I played BG2 and killed Anomen when he started his self righteous attitude towards Jan. I dispise people like him and Durance. With a vengeance. Somehow, Aloth also went that route. It wasn't enough for me to want to kill him and kick his body into a ditch, but he wasn't far off. Not far at all.

Edited by AeonsLegend

That Rekke story sounds like a really dumb idea. Especially since Rekke isn't a full fledged party member with no investment into the story whatsoever.

No I stand by the fact that PoE should not continue with the Watcher and have a new type of protagonist emerge in the future. Some time needs to have passed since PoE2. A protagonist that can deal with the fallout of Eothas' actions. Have previous party members or characters just pop up as cameo's or maybe as part of a side quest or something. Or not at all.

One of the main gripes I had with PoEII was how little impact your actions in PoE seemed to have on your party. Only Eder was agreeable. Everyone else was like: ah yea we travelled together for months, shared life, misery, dreams, happiness, hardship. Oh and we stopped one of the Gods from destroying us, killed dragons and ended the hollowborn crisis. But yea now you said you don't like cookies so now I hate your guts. 

The introduction of your old team came off really wrong. Especially Aloth and Pallegina. If it was reallity I would have told them to piss off. Ah yes this reminds me of the time I played BG2 and killed Anomen when he started his self righteous attitude towards Jan. I dispise people like him and Durance. With a vengeance. Somehow, Aloth also went that route. It wasn't enough for me to want to kill him and kick his body into a ditch, but he wasn't far off. Not far at all.

1. I don't think that a Rekke story for PoE3 is a dumb idea at all.  I also don't give a flying (you know what) about "investment in the story".  If anything, that's what makes it an even better idea, not a lesser idea.  I *want* to see the story get away from most of the existing companions!!!

2. I'm also very much in favor of continuing with the Watcher, but just have that story move over to Yezuha.  I'd like the story to be one where perhaps the Watcher is sent to Yezuha by the Gods to investigate some new rising power there.  And of course, bringing Rekke along to help out.

3. Frankly, your gripes in the 3rd paragraph don't even show up on my "radar screen". 

4. I didn't like Durance either.  However, I suspect that he was included because the character devs didn't want to only have nicey-nice companions.  They wanted at least one who was surly and not very likable.   Honestly, I wouldn't have even included him in my part, except for the fact that he was the only priest and you encountered him early (usually the 3rd companion you meet), which at least for me, made it very difficult to not use him.  Also consider that not everyone who plays PoE1/2 are going to always want to play perfectly nice Watchers.  Heck, given the number of people who talk about playing Bleak Walkers, it sounds like there are plenty who play Watchers who are serious jerks, since to me, a "nice" Bleak Walker seems like a total oxymoron.

I can't speak for Aloth in PoE2, as I've tended to leave him in my reserves and only using him for that late game Leaden Key related personal quest, and occasionally for battles that seem to require the services of a high level wizard.  Thus, I haven't had many long discussions with Aloth, but those I have had didn't seem as bad as you're making them out to be.  Maybe I'm missing a lot of his personal banter.

Frankly, it seems to me like you're expecting every Companion to be paragons of virtue and to like every other companion.  That hardly seems realistic to me.  Heck, there can be people who seem normally very pleasant.  But then they encounter someone who rubs them the wrong way and it brings out the worst in them.  Hey, Pallegina doesn't like overly pious people, and Eder doesn't like people who are cruel to animals.   Heck, some people don't like Xoti because her constant, over the top niceness annoys them.

Anyways, I think that you have unrealistic expectations if you expect every companion (and perhaps sidekick) to be likeable and get along with every other companion, 24/7 (or whatever it is on Eora).  That's just not the way that people are.

Why you guys want to see 50 percent of the old cast return. Like holy sh. Just have poe3 take place in deadfire again. We can chase eothas in a giant statue.

We had almost half of the old cast from PoE1 show up in PoE2.  Some as Companions (Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina).  Others making cameos (Kana, Mahena, Devil of Caroc (as enchanted armor), and Durance... sort of).  And I think that Eder might have mentioned Hiravias at some point.  I just don't remember for certain. 7 (or 8) out of 11 is a pretty good representation.

Heck, one might even make the case that Maia is a semi carry over from PoE1.  Not that she was in PoE1. of course.  Her brother Kana was.  But she represents a familial carryover, since Kana really couldn't fill the role that Maia does in PoE2.  In fact, I'm tempted to think that the writers might have wanted to have Kana carry over as a full companion, but couldn't find a way to do it, and settled for his sister as a Companion and Kana in a camo role.

The introduction of your old team came off really wrong. Especially Aloth and Pallegina. If it was reallity I would have told them to piss off. Ah yes this reminds me of the time I played BG2 and killed Anomen when he started his self righteous attitude towards Jan. I dispise people like him and Durance. With a vengeance. Somehow, Aloth also went that route. It wasn't enough for me to want to kill him and kick his body into a ditch, but he wasn't far off. Not far at all.

1. I don't think that a Rekke story for PoE3 is a dumb idea at all.  I also don't give a flying (you know what) about "investment in the story".  If anything, that's what makes it an even better idea, not a lesser idea.  I *want* to see the story get away from most of the existing companions!!!

2. I'm also very much in favor of continuing with the Watcher, but just have that story move over to Yezuha.  I'd like the story to be one where perhaps the Watcher is sent to Yezuha by the Gods to investigate some new rising power there.  And of course, bringing Rekke along to help out.

3. Frankly, your gripes in the 3rd paragraph don't even show up on my "radar screen". 

4. I didn't like Durance either.  However, I suspect that he was included because the character devs didn't want to only have nicey-nice companions.  They wanted at least one who was surly and not very likable.   Honestly, I wouldn't have even included him in my part, except for the fact that he was the only priest and you encountered him early (usually the 3rd companion you meet), which at least for me, made it very difficult to not use him.  Also consider that not everyone who plays PoE1/2 are going to always want to play perfectly nice Watchers.  Heck, given the number of people who talk about playing Bleak Walkers, it sounds like there are plenty who play Watchers who are serious jerks, since to me, a "nice" Bleak Walker seems like a total oxymoron.

I can't speak for Aloth in PoE2, as I've tended to leave him in my reserves and only using him for that late game Leaden Key related personal quest, and occasionally for battles that seem to require the services of a high level wizard.  Thus, I haven't had many long discussions with Aloth, but those I have had didn't seem as bad as you're making them out to be.  Maybe I'm missing a lot of his personal banter.

Frankly, it seems to me like you're expecting every Companion to be paragons of virtue and to like every other companion.  That hardly seems realistic to me.  Heck, there can be people who seem normally very pleasant.  But then they encounter someone who rubs them the wrong way and it brings out the worst in them.  Hey, Pallegina doesn't like overly pious people, and Eder doesn't like people who are cruel to animals.   Heck, some people don't like Xoti because her constant, over the top niceness annoys them.

Anyways, I think that you have unrealistic expectations if you expect every companion (and perhaps sidekick) to be likeable and get along with every other companion, 24/7 (or whatever it is on Eora).  That's just not the way that people are.

Ok, so the devs will have to make up yet another reason for losing all your experience, money and equipment. It was one of the least appealing parts of PoEII. Your endeavours in PoE counted for absolutely nothing. It might have as well been a different character alltogether. It's cheap and unimaginative. And it prevents the game from growing into more. A lot of people do not like change. Because it's scary. Continuing the watcher story is a bad idea. It doesn't amount to anything. There's nothing left for the watcher to do other than going to a different land and do something else. Then why have the same character(s) participate and have it follow up on deadfire? No it's a truly unimaginitive idea. There's absolutely no point in doing so.

I'd love to see a new protagonist with different powers that take the story to a deeper level. Sure have Rekke participate and go to his lands. But add 10-15 years and build a new story based on past events. It allows for so much more creativity.

You confuse nice with likable. Viconia and Sarevok are not nice. But they are likable. What I like is something I enjoy. This has nothing to do with a persons herritage or "allignment". Anomen is a goody two shoe full of himself self righteous a-hole. He is not likable. Keldorn is a Paladin, but he's not a self righteous a-hole. So he IS likable. Durance is a self righteous smug know it all idiot with 0 intelligence. I don't find such a person appealing to have around just so he can spout his drivel at me on how well he knows everything and also about me. I found it hilarious that he found out he was wrong about everything. Made killing him so much sweeter. He was not a sad broken person. He was a dumbass and I knew that when I met him. Although now I just kill him as he utters the words "Saw you in the flame". Like a drive by killing, sell his loot and move on. Much better that way, because early game you really need the money. Better than having someone around that lowers the average IQ of the party. With Eder around that's saying something.

It helps if people stop making references to dried up 20 year old games all the time.

Losing all our experience etc is reasonable. It allows the game to change. I hear people fear change but they need to get over it. How stupid would it be to start at lvl 14 with brand new skills, spells and power level scheme in a new game. Game has different mechanics so it makes sense to start from lvl one.

Not everyone will want to play poe2 with the same character. Some people want to try new classes and builds. Poe2 is different game pls let it sink in. There is multiclass etc to try out. People dont want to play exactly the same char from poe1.

• Like 1

Losing all our experience etc is reasonable. It allows the game to change. 

It's not reasonable if it is the same character twice in a row. Like I said if you want to reset again, then enter a new character.

The major issue with not resetting is that Obsidian never created a levelling system that was able to scale beyond the game they made in PoE1. And now with PoE2 they did exactly the same thing. Even the expansions give no extra levels or growth for your character. If we go to PoE3 we'd need to reset the character again. It's boring. Just go with a new character and have us experience something completely new. Having to follow the watcher again is not new, it's not surprising. The Watcher had impact on the story in PoE. In PoE2 The Watcher has like 0 impact on the story. Being a Watcher has no impact on the story either. It's only there so people can recognize you. It turned into a gimmick. So like I said, give us a new protagonist that I can actually feel invested in.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

Ok, so the devs will have to make up yet another reason for losing all your experience, money and equipment. It was one of the least appealing parts of PoEII. Your endeavours in PoE counted for absolutely nothing. It might have as well been a different character alltogether. It's cheap and unimaginative. And it prevents the game from growing into more. A lot of people do not like change. Because it's scary. Continuing the watcher story is a bad idea. It doesn't amount to anything. There's nothing left for the watcher to do other than going to a different land and do something else. Then why have the same character(s) participate and have it follow up on deadfire? No it's a truly unimaginitive idea. There's absolutely no point in doing so.

I'd love to see a new protagonist with different powers that take the story to a deeper level. Sure have Rekke participate and go to his lands. But add 10-15 years and build a new story based on past events. It allows for so much more creativity.

You confuse nice with likable. Viconia and Sarevok are not nice. But they are likable. What I like is something I enjoy. This has nothing to do with a persons herritage or "allignment". Anomen is a goody two shoe full of himself self righteous a-hole. He is not likable. Keldorn is a Paladin, but he's not a self righteous a-hole. So he IS likable. Durance is a self righteous smug know it all idiot with 0 intelligence. I don't find such a person appealing to have around just so he can spout his drivel at me on how well he knows everything and also about me. I found it hilarious that he found out he was wrong about everything. Made killing him so much sweeter. He was not a sad broken person. He was a dumbass and I knew that when I met him. Although now I just kill him as he utters the words "Saw you in the flame". Like a drive by killing, sell his loot and move on. Much better that way, because early game you really need the money. Better than having someone around that lowers the average IQ of the party. With Eder around that's saying something.

1. I'm not bothered by starting over again, XP-wise, in PoE2.  And wouldn't be in a PoE3.  Oh, I would probably wish that I could start at level 4-5, just because things are a little more fun when you have more than the barest minimum of abilities, but that's a very minor thing for me.

2. Regardless, we disagree on this profoundly.  I'm perfectly happy to continue on with The Watcher, and head off to Yezuha with Rekke.  Maybe on a mission from the gods to investigate some new and mysterious rising power, as well as explore a hitherto unknown part of Eora.  And heck, unless you bring some companions with you, every potential companion or sidekick you'd meet in Yezuha would be completely new.  (I'd be happy to just head off to Yezuha with only Rekke and Ydwin at my side.)

3. No, I didn't confuse nice with likable.  "Nice" can be taken to mean different things, and often different to different people.   But, yes, in the sense if "nice" that YOU mean, there is a difference.  But I meant "nice" as likable.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion it would be kinda disapointing if the watcher vanished.  if pillars 3 will not have you play as the watcher, the game should still have the watcher and older characters as npcs.  im all for having most of the characters from pillars 1 and 2 back,  but some of them should be npcs.  for example, it makes sense to have pallegina or kana and maia as npcs, since they are linked to their factions. durance also makes sense as a npc. either as a ghost in the service of magran or as an anti-theist aninmancer, depending of your choice in poe1.    sefyra (adra dragon) should also re-appear. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like Aloth, Eder and Pallegina (she left the party so she won't be welcome  if PoE3 exists).

The 3 were in my party in PoE1 (with Durance) and PoE2.

After too much Watcher histories, I'd prefer a new character and new companions, with some cameos.

• 8 months later...

If they are going to give us new companions in POE3 I expect Obsidian to give us reliable allies that don't miss every time in path of the damned difficulty. Some companions I would like would be an aumaua blood wizard that could multiclass into paladin or fighter for massive sustainability, a dwarf druid that specializes in fire spells at the cost of corrosion spells who could multiclass into priest or fighter for either team support or more tanking, and a pale elf paladin who could multiclass into wizard or rogue to better serve his dark god Rymrgand. The coastal aumaua  would be from rauatai seeking a way to extend her life and would have the stats of 15 might, 12 constitution, 11 dexterity, 15 perception, 14 intelligence, and 11 resolve. The boreal dwarf druid would be from the white that wends, and would seek to make a peaceful country for all of Hylea's creatures including dragons since that is the god he worships. His stats would be 13 might,17 constitution, 10 dexterity,15 perception, 12 intelligence, and 11 resolve. The pale elf will be from the white that wends as well and seeks to serve as his god's personal assassin for those who have wronged him. His stats would be 16 might, 14 constitution, 12 dexterity, 14 perception, 10 intelligence, and 12 resolve.