Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The DLC talk - Favorites, dislikes, comparisons to White March etc (spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3185 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just finished up a replay of the game with all the DLC. Did most of the content in the game though there were a few things I didn't finish, bounties and I forgot to finish up the Mapping the Deadfire quest for the dude in Queen's Berth. I also didn't do any of the SSS battles that weren't part of the main quest.

So, how did you guys like the DLCs overall? Which one did you like the most? Do you think it compared favorably to the White March?

-Beast of Winter.

Prooobably my favorite of the bunch. Though, like in all the DLC's, it can be frustrating to play because battles starts to take forever. Like someone elsewhere says, it just doesn't feel that much fun when your supercharged mega empowered Missle Salvo just barely takes off a tiny sliver of health from the enemy. I also feel like the "popping enemies up behind you" or big bosses having additional adds things kinda grow stale in the DLCs.

I also wasn't a fan of the "puzzle" gameplay of some of the areas in this one. Teleport puzzles and stuff like... ugh. They're not headscratchers, it just becomes busywork.

But enough whining, I really enjoyed the lore and story that BoW explored. I think Rymrgand turned out to be one of the most well-realized gods both in terms of writing and acting. And I really liked the Bridge ablaze for the background it provided for Waidwen (very well done) as well as the bits in the Sunken Kingdom where you get the memories of how the Engwithans dealt with the king.

It's unfortunately the most buggy DLC for me. I had to restart the final fight with the dragon when she tried to pull my characters across those chasms you can jump across, and the characters would just get "stuck" on one side and I got the blue screen crash when Rymrgand smashes the bridge if you fight him (reported in the bug forum).

-Seeker, Slayer, Survivor

My least favorite of the bunch. And I knew that coming in given that it was combat focused. Now, I still enjoy some challenging fights in this game but for me, everything just gets really hard to parse with realtime w pause when you get into the high level difficult battles. There's so much going on visually that I have a really hard time "taking it in" even if I play on the slowest speed (I always do) and pause a lot.

So yeah, not a DLC for me. That said, when you finally get to the juicy storybits at the end, I really enjoyed that and was kinda sad that more of the DLC wasn't like that. Just more classic mix of story and battle. But oh well.

-Forgotten Sanctum

Really enjoyed the setting, am so glad they went into the weird territory. Has fun explorations of the lore, dropping cool hings here and there. And I really liked how it can tie in to the main ending of the game. 

I thought FS was a bit too... humorous. I liked that Deadfire as a whole introduced more humor but in FS I felt it went overboard in some areas, especially given the rather dark setting and situation. Seems like companions had a snarky or sassy comment to absolutely everything and there were a few areas where I even thought that I didn't have any appropriate dialogue choices for my character. Thayn didn't work for me as a character at all either personally.

All in all, I do like the DLCs and feel they are worthwhile. I would say I personally prefer the expansion model of the White March. Just having that connected story in one package makes the whole thing feel a bit meatier rather than the 3 "separate" stories so to speak. I have no idea how they compare in playtime but yeah, WM just feels like something you can really sink your teeth into because of how it's set up. and also because it introduced new companions. I also like that WM is something you can start fairly early on. The DLCs for Deadfire feels like they're slotted in as endgame content which kinda screws up the flow of the main story a bit. WM did that also a bit with part 2 but I find it's more noticeable in Deadfire. After FS I was like... well, it's *finally* time to go to Ukaizo, which manages to feel rather underwhelming after all the crazy stuff you've done and accomplished.

Sorry for the lengthy post there but just felt like writing down some thoughts. Deadfire as a whole is a tremendous game and I had a ton of fun replaying it.

Edited by Starwars, 06 January 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• Yria likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1993 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I prefer the WM model too. But I really liked the Deadfire DLCs. I just finished the FS and it is really good.

Spoiler

I chose to

Spoiler

But now I'm considering replaying the battle to do as Tayn suggests. I didn't go back to the Scriptorum yet, but I hope the archmages leave the place so that I can finish "cleaning" it. Last time I tried they joined the locals. :facepalm:

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1057 posts

I definitely like SSS the least (the arena runs at sub-10fps on my computer on lowest settings so I couldn't actually play the fights, which make up 90% of the damn thing) but I liked the story content overall. The Seeker mentioning that Od Nua's madness was basically responsible for the creation of the gods was a nice touch, and I loved Galawain getting mad and yelling at me. SSS and BOW both have good getting-yelled-at-by-a-god feel.

I think Deadfire's structure lends itself better to DLCs like this than it would a big expansion like White March; I like being able to sail between smaller adventures. I wouldn't mind a DLC with no real overall story which added some quests and islands and maps to the world. And more unique warhammers.

I think Forgotten Sanctum is probably the best of them- the dungeoning is crazy good- but I have a soft spot for Beast Of Winter, so I'm happy to call that my favourite. The main thing is, I want to play more stuff by the DLC team, so I hope they're onto another project soon to do some cool stuff.

• InsaneCommander, the_dog_days, Wormerine and 1 other like this

uuuhhii

uuuhhii

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 360 posts

bos are probably best part of the game though not favorite

the trailer of sss are some what bland

not sure why like it so much

especially liked the last part with fire titan

forgotten sanctum are everything this series need

only piece missing are a dlc about magran woedica and skaen

not just the three pieces of crown in the dlcs

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2800 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don’t know - if you put side to side WM and Deadfire’s DLC I prefer White March - a longer story arc and essentially a smaller, self contained campaign makes for a more satisfying adventure. But DLCs integrate really well with Deadfire and I think it was a right choice. Of course, I would happily pay for a standalone adventure.

Beast of Winter has been my favourite with a dive into a new culture and exploration of some important lore. It’s has also a benefit of being a first one and it caught be off guard by how enjoyable it was.

I did enjoy SSS a lot - more than I anticipated. I don’t mind a nice arena in an RPG and it was really well designed one, with interesting encounters, good story and even some unique encounters per-playthrough. As mentioned above - this area runs significantly worse than anything else in the game, which makes it especially painful considering it’s a combat heavy content.

Forgotten Sanctum impressed me the least - maybe it’s because it didn’t surprise me in any major way - it provides a nice mix of storytelling and encounters, but doesnt excel in one or the other like previous DLCs did. Still, a highly enjoyable dungeon.

Really nothing to complain except that there is nothing more to look forward to.
  • InsaneCommander likes this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1057 posts

bos are probably best part of the game though not favorite
the trailer of sss are some what bland
not sure why like it so much
especially liked the last part with fire titan
forgotten sanctum are everything this series need
only piece missing are a dlc about magran woedica and skaen
not just the three pieces of crown in the dlcs

you never know what is and isn't cut content, but I've seen hints that the next big patch may expand on the crown a little

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users