Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen" Now on Kickstarter

D&D kickstarter turn-based crpg

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen just launched today.

It's a party based CRPG with turn-based tactical combat on a hex grid and using the OGL ruleset (i.e., 3.5e D&D).   They're also releasing the game with the editor / toolset so it will hopefully have many user created mods.

It looks absolutely fantastic to me. I much prefer TB to RTwP.  I only hope the story will be better than ToEE.  The KS is raising funds in part to help hire a lead writer so that's a good sign :)

RB_Ancient_Woods_01.jpg

Edited by daveyd, 17 October 2018 - 09:46 AM.

• ShadySands, rjshae, IndiraLightfoot and 3 others like this

Armanz

Armanz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Steam:armanz92
  • Deadfire Backer

Looks amazing graphically and solid for the rest from the things I've read and seen so far and I might actually back this despite not going to play it due to turn based combat.

Edited by Armanz, 16 October 2018 - 09:12 AM.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I much prefer RTwP than TB but I'm going to back it.

• IndiraLightfoot and injurai like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can it beat PF:KM? That game is the modern BG2... just way more annoying bugs. LMAO

P.S. they don't even have a 'lead writer' yet/? That's not a good sign.

Edited by Volourn, 16 October 2018 - 02:23 PM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It looks like an interesting mix of different RPG system elements. The KS relies quite a bit on nostalgic elements, but it seems good enough to stand on its own. Definitely on my backer list. Hopefully they can write an enjoyable plot with interesting NPC interactions.

• IndiraLightfoot and daveyd like this

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Can it beat PF:KM? That game is the modern BG2... just way more annoying bugs. LMAO

P.S. they don't even have a 'lead writer' yet/? That's not a good sign.

I don't think they mentioned it in the Kickstarter but it was revealed awhile back that Guido Henkel (producer of Planescape: Torment and a lead designer of the Realms of Arkania triology) was working on this game as creative director.  He contributed to the world design, lore, etc. Unfortunately it seems they couldn't really afford to pay him a salary so he left the project earlier this year in search of a paying gig. I was / am hoping that maybe after a successful KS they could bring Mr. Henkel back onto the project.

Anyway, aside from basic world-building, it seems Ceres main focus up to this point has been working on the game engine; so they already have a working combat and dialogue system.  And they have acquired the art assets from the canceled CRPG "Chaos Chronicles".  What they need now is more actual content and writers to flesh out their dialogue and story.  

Edited by daveyd, 16 October 2018 - 03:32 PM.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2111 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I much prefer RTwP than TB but I'm going to back it.

Yeah, I much prefer RTwP, but we don't need every game to be in the same vein. I do like their choice of art/graphics direction.

• IndiraLightfoot, kanisatha and InsaneCommander like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Since theya re going with a whole world map I really hope they look into spells like Teleport and the priestly one that is si8milar.  It would be really nice if they had it in KM.

• ShadySands, IndiraLightfoot and daveyd like this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I only ever backed 4 titles.

This is the 5th.

Just sayin'

• IndiraLightfoot, kanisatha and InsaneCommander like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've become almost eager for a turnbased take on a D&D CRPG or any other CRPG with a similar system, and this may very well be the answer to my little prayers.

A surefire backing on my behalf.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 17 October 2018 - 02:43 AM.

• Mamoulian War, Azdeus, Messier-31 and 2 others like this

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

Wish to back this but low on cash and will stay that way. :( Also no bard class which sucks big way, but not deal-breaker.

Armanz

Armanz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Steam:armanz92
  • Deadfire Backer

Wish to back this but low on cash and will stay that way. :( Also no bard class which sucks big way, but not deal-breaker.

Bard class will very likely be a stretch goal.

• daveyd likes this

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

That's great, but it may fail.

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Early bird discount on base game is gone. I decided to back this up, since you pay it on kickstarter ending, anyway.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10482 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've been watching this one for a long time - they had to overcome various business hurdles to get this far, but they've really taken their time to create a solid old school RPG piece by piece, and who knows how good it'll be, but at least they've put a ton of thought into how they design it from their discussions over the years that I've seen.

Between POE, Pathfinder (which is apparently amazing if they can fix literally enough bugs to fill 10 RPGs with) and this, it's a fantastic turnaround for isometric old-school RPGs. We even have room for shovelware clones like Sword Coast Legends!

• rjshae, Messier-31 and kanisatha like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 636 posts

I very rarely finish TB games more than once. I feel like their replayability suffers due to the fact that TB combat often takes too long. It bores me, even if the game is good.

This is why I did not touch DOS2 Definitive Edition. It's a great game. But ugh the combat zzzzzzzz....

EDIT: From what I've read it seems that the game won't have story companions. That's a dealbreaker for me in a game with a group, I do NOT want create a full party or recruit random sidekicks without dialogue or personalities. **** you Icewind Dale.

Edited by Manveru123, 18 October 2018 - 01:38 AM.

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I very rarely finish TB games more than once. I feel like their replayability suffers due to the fact that TB combat often takes too long. It bores me, even if the game is good.

This is why I did not touch DOS2 Definitive Edition. It's a great game. But ugh the combat zzzzzzzz....

EDIT: From what I've read it seems that the game won't have story companions. That's a dealbreaker for me in a game with a group, I do NOT want create a full party or recruit random sidekicks without dialogue or personalities. **** you Icewind Dale.

I love IWD2. I'm glad I backed.

• Torm51 likes this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 636 posts

The gameplay was ok but the story sucked because I was leading a team of random nobodies without personalities. Managed to somehow finish it once and then bye bye.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2211 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The KS is raising funds in part to help hire a lead writer so that's a good sign :)

Oh so they're hiring Chris "Personified Stretch Goal" Avellone?
  • Tale and Azdeus like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's great, but it may fail.

Seems unlikely. They're already more than a third the way there, and having a neo-nazi in the development team doesn't seem to have hurt them too much. :woot:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D&D, kickstarter, turn-based, crpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users