The Political Thread - Hobbes Edition

Amentep

In other news: http://www.breakingburgh.com/trump-orders-catapults-placed-along-border-expedite-deportations/?fbclid=IwAR3oYa88rBKshb6jUB60p0K-SgLqY7aNkZN9opa-DnJd04C68qporHtRCi8

Trump Orders Catapults Be Placed Along Border To Expedite Deportations

Trebuchet_Castelnaud.jpg?zoom=2&resize=7

:lol:

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

YT ban, then reinstated. Nothing-burger.

Youtubers need to make mountains out of anthills so that they can generate content. Still YouTube is pretty biased when it comes to enforcing policies.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Catapults? Those are trebuchets, a precision weapon using cantilevers and mechanical advantage not some useless catapult with their rubbish potential energy conversions.

Catapults couldn't propel a 90kg man over a distance of 300m, for that you need a properly engineered siege weapon.

• Like 2

Youtubers need to make mountains out of anthills so that they can generate content. Still YouTube is pretty biased when it comes to enforcing policies.

It's clear YTs mega-bias played a role, but it's also clear there is a process for justice. There is a reason Alex Jones was btfo'd and this guy got his account back.

It's clear YTs mega-bias played a role, but it's also clear there is a process for justice. There is a reason Alex Jones was btfo'd and this guy got his account back.

Why was Alex Jones banned really? I know he was a big conspiracy nutcase but what horrible thing he did that got him banned?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Why was Alex Jones banned really? I know he was a big conspiracy nutcase but what horrible thing he did that got him banned?

He started getting negative press for Youtube and other platforms he was on.
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think him calling the Sandy Hook shooting a hoax, calling the parents of the victims fake and liars, and generally inciting harassment against them for being "crisis actors" got the target on his back. YT just decided to enforce their TOS against him and found enough violations to burn through all his warnings.

YT & Twitter have huge biases in favor of progressive conspiracy theorists and harassers, but Alex Jones certainly earned his ban,

Serves him right then, the paranoia on YouTube generated by influences is quite sickening. Imo, many of them should be banned as they are over-doing it to the point where they become irrelevant but there will always be similar nutcases who believe them.

HA! Good Fun!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

People keep saying how Obama lost over 1,000 seats during his eight years in the White House - but that was counting both federal-level and state-level elections including governorship and state legislatures.

Well, Trump actually lost over 300 seats on Tuesday — if we include both federal and state elections. He lost as many as 1/3 of seats Obama had lost in his (Trump's) first major election in White House two years in. (It will be closer to 330 seats when all the races are called.) That is saying something.

Also, as it stands now: Democrats have won at least 33 House seats, but they look poised to win closer to 40 — there are 13 races that are either not called or too close to call, and Democrats have a solid chance of winning seven of those.

There was a Blue Wave on Tuesday. We just do not see it yet because of the slow vote-counting process and not all the races have been called yet. I think by Monday, when all the votes are counted and all the races are called, we will have realized that, "wow, there was a Blue Wave." Losing 40 House seats (if not more) and altogether over 300 federal and state seats (will be more) is actually, crushing.

Edited by ktchong

People keep saying how Obama lost over 1,000 seats during his eight years in the White House - but that was counting both federal-level and state-level elections including governorship and state legislatures.

Well, Trump actually lost over 300 seats on Tuesday — if we include both federal and state elections. He lost as many as 1/3 of seats Obama had lost in his (Trump's) first major election in White House two years in. (It will be closer to 330 seats when all the races are called.) That is saying something.

Also, as it stands now: Democrats have won at least 33 House seats, but they look poised to win closer to 40 — there are 13 races that are either not called or too close to call, and Democrats have a solid chance of winning seven of those.

There was a Blue Wave on Tuesday. We just do not see it yet because of the slow vote-counting process and not all the races have been called yet. I think by Monday, when all the votes are counted and all the races are called, we will have realized that, "wow, there was a Blue Wave." Losing 40 House seats (if not more) and altogether over 300 federal and state seats (will be more) is actually, crushing.

In terms of the first mid term of a new President it was about average. The out of power part usually gains. 2002 was an aberration where the in power part gained. IMO they (the Dems) won the races they were expected to win for the most part. Hey I'm always happier when we have a divided government. So not knocking it but I wouldn't get too happy about it either. It went down along the lines of historical trends. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

45659940_1080496462113223_43608916166096

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

That's a scary thought. As much of a dumpster fire that Trump is, Pence is a bible thumping wackadoo that we need to keep far, far, far from power.

Sold. I think some groups would benefit greatly from having some good old fashioned Catholic love poured on them for a while.

Such as.... white supremacists? Heh.

UPDATE: It's close to 400 seats now.  400 national and local seats that Republicans lost on Tuesday. 

Democrats flipped 400 seats from Republicans on Tuesday.   Flipping 400 seats in one day is NOT, "normal", as some right-wingers and Republicans in here try to trivialize their losses.

So, we already know that Democrats have already won 37 House seats and expect to pick up another 3, at least.

And Republicans' gain in the Senate is now down to one or maybe two seats as counting continues.

For local or state elections:

> Democrats picked up a net of seven governorships...
>
> ...
>
> Democrats flipped at least 350 state legislative seats...

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2018#State_elections - the article provides links to the original sources.

So that's 40 House + 7 Governors + 350 State Legislatures = 397 local or state seats flipped from Republicans, close to 400 seats.

At least.  For now.  As the counting of votes continues.  The results were revised from yesterday's 330 yesterday to today's 397 as the counting continued.  I expect them to be revised upward again over the next few days.

Many places are still counting votes and have not yet called for a winner, and those are places that still use paper ballots and manually count votes, (which is why they are slower to report results.)

BTW, the places that use paper ballots instead of computers and voting machines tend to favor Democrats for whatever reason... it's almost as if there were some shenanigans going on with the voting machines, (all of those machines were made and sold by THREE companies: Premiere, ES&S, and Hart - and all three are Republican backers.  Seriously Democrats need to strip them of their contracts or just eliminate their businesses when they get back in power.  There have been really dirty tricks going on with those Republican-made voting machines.)

So, recap: 400 losses, on the national and state level, in one day, only two years after Trump's presidency, his first election/test after he became the President. Republicans loved to harp on Obama for losing over 1,000 national and local seats in eight years, to show how unpopular Obama was.  

Well, Trump has just lost 400 seats in only two years, in one day.   That is just devastating for Republicans.

It was not a Blue Wave. It was actually a Blue TSUNAMI.

The funny thing is... we won't realize the full extent until we see the final results for everything, which will come in early next week, and until someone in the mainstream media finally mentions, "wait, has anyone else noticed that Republicans lost 400 seats last week?! How the hell did we miss that??"  It is like a huge blind spot right now because the media is obsessed with "OMG Beto lost," (in TEXAS,) "Democrats lost Florida," (actually not yet,) and "Republicans gained in the Senate," (yeah, down to the gain of only ONE seat, compared to losing House and 40 House seats.)

Edited by ktchong

I'm one of those who said it didn't look like a wave (probably because of expectations), yes, but I'm registered as independent, and I have Democrat leanings as you've probably observed before.

You do have a point though in that while it didn't look as impressive as people expected for the House (getting 35 or so in one fell swoop is still impressive on it's own) and the Senate was painful (this years map was ALWAYS going to be painful no matter what), but there are bright spots, the primary wave kind of went somewhat overlooked in the state level where it was big since all the focus was on Federal level and Governor races.

Arizona looks like it might go to Sinema, but the votes over there are still being counted.

Looks like Sinema will win Arizona (several political pundits and election experts seem to think so, anyhow), but I wouldn't expect Nelson to win Florida even with a recount, unless there was an actual machine error. People improperly filling out their ballots because of poor design, while possibly shady, won't save him - it's not like they can fill it out correctly after the fact. So you'd have to have an actual machine error that would be solved by hand-counting them. Both of these elections seem pretty critical for the Democrats if they want to a strong chance at re-taking the Senate in 2020, when the tables will be reversed and it will instead be Republicans up for election.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.