Baldur's Gate 3?

kanisatha

there were a popular lesbian band in berkeley during late 80s when we were going to school... flaming fist.  

needless to say, flaming fist brings back somewhat incongruous memories for us which may not help our full appreciation o' the trailer.

18 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I have a lot of dislike in DivOS2's combat- though I did like 1's a fair bit. And yeah, the encounter design itself was generally good and occasionally excellent, when it didn't also rely on cheap gotcha triggers like starting enemies with excess AP.

while we weren't a particular big fan o' divos1, we did have similar feelings 'bout 2. larian combat were not a positive for us, but we saw decent encounter design in divos2... which gives us a moderate level o' optimism regarding a larian bg3.

'course when we weren't recollecting angry, pixie-haired marxists playing a kinda ska punk-reggae rock fusion (*groan*) we couldn't help but recollect me. mass effect. got to see sovereign in the background at the end o' the teaser, meanwhile, the bg outpost were wiped out, apparent overrun by husks, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 6/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, Hawke64 said:

I just hope it will be a single-player focused game with RTwP combat and without randomized color-coded loot or Larian's writing style.
I didn't finish either D:OS, but completed and liked both BG games and their expansions (including SoD). They are focused on completely different aspects of RP and I don't see how a game developed by Larian can be anyhow close to what BG is.

Even though I didn't enjoy D:OS 2 as much as the first one, I trust Larian enough with this. This is a different game (even if it turns out different from BG too) and I expect different writing.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

After reading some more about the game I'm also curious as to why they are calling it BG3 instead of just Baldur's Gate hyphen/colon subtitle. I know others have brought up the same point before but after reading more articles I'm now inclined to agree.

Also, multiplayer is in but no word on how combat will play out yet.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

After reading some more about the game I'm also curious as to why they are calling it BG3 instead of just Baldur's Gate hyphen/colon subtitle.

At the same time we don't know nearly enough to make any judgement - all we can go by is comparing Divinity to Baldur's Gate, which might or might not be relevant, depending of Larian want to stick to what they know, or if they have a more creative mindset and want to do so something different. 

Game has just been announced, so all we know is that Larian works on BG3.

Cool. Thumbs up.

How it looks/plays etc. that is something we can wait for a bit. We don't even know at what stage of development they are. 

7 hours ago, Wormerine said:

At the same time we don't know nearly enough to make any judgement - all we can go by is comparing Divinity to Baldur's Gate, which might or might not be relevant, depending of Larian want to stick to what they know, or if they have a more creative mindset and want to do so something different. 

Game has just been announced, so all we know is that Larian works on BG3.

Cool. Thumbs up.

How it looks/plays etc. that is something we can wait for a bit. We don't even know at what stage of development they are.

Well, we also know what Swen has said in interviews, how that will translate to the final game is anyone's guess, of course, but it seems that he is trying to avoid BG3 being considered a direct successor, which is odd as they could have called it "BG: The White Dog" (I'm so witty it hurts), and gotten a free pass on that front, but for some as of yet unknown reason they chose not to do so and name it BG3 instead.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

I don't expect it to be as great or legendary as the originals.  My epxecttaioin at best is that it will be fun pastime. Consideirng that larian has already bashed the Bgs and bashed D&D I don't have high hopes. I am looking forward to a 7 or 8/10 game that is finishable.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Interesting interview with Lairan yesterday by Fextralife:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju12JNh8gJs

I hope they stay really true to the 5E rules, but it looks like they will adapt for video game.

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
dead link

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

5 hours ago, marelooke said:

Well, we also know what Swen has said in interviews, how that will translate to the final game is anyone's guess, of course, but it seems that he is trying to avoid BG3 being considered a direct successor, which is odd as they could have called it "BG: The White Dog" (I'm so witty it hurts), and gotten a free pass on that front, but for some as of yet unknown reason they chose not to do so and name it BG3 instead.

Sales and hype? Can you even blame them? I mean, we live in a capitalist society, so of course these decisions are going to matter. And it's not like studios like Larian or say pre-Microsoft Obsidian are swimming in money the way the makers of FIFA and Call of Duty are.

Important to note that this is all happening with WotC's blessing, so I think that's relevant too. They can only award "BG3" to somebody once after all.

Secondly, and more speculatively, I have to suspect there's going to be a lot of tie-in with the original series. The teaser trailer already hints at that, slapping you immediately with "Oh yeah the Flaming Fist." And in subsequent interviews they've said a number of things are returning -- characters, locations etc. So perhaps the main plot/antagonist of the game will be completely new, I suspect alot of strong tie-ins that you didnt see with Dark Alliance.

22 hours ago, ShadySands said:

After reading some more about the game I'm also curious as to why they are calling it BG3 instead of just Baldur's Gate hyphen/colon subtitle. I know others have brought up the same point before but after reading more articles I'm now inclined to agree.

Also, multiplayer is in but no word on how combat will play out yet.

can still do both. baldur's gate 2: shadows of amn. baldur's gate 3... with colon as yet revealed?

*shrug*

am suspecting larian's naming methodology were simple. any consideration beyond what name would help move the most units would likely be dismissed... and lord only knows what kinda calculus goes into such a choice.

HA! Good Fun!

• Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

can still do both. baldur's gate 2: shadows of amn. baldur's gate 3... with colon as yet revealed?

*shrug*

am suspecting larian's naming methodology were simple. any consideration beyond what name would help move the most units would likely be dismissed... and lord only knows what kinda calculus goes into such a choice.

HA! Good Fun!

Baldur's Gate 3: The Colon

• Haha 1

Hey, we're talking about a company who actually named a game 'Divine Divinity'. Anything goes :grin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe the three IS the subtitle.

Baldur's Gate: 3

Oooo, enigmatic! 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Nono, the space goes before the colon.

hadn't considered, but that could actually be intriguing.

Baldur's Gate Space: _____________

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Baldur's Gate: Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Mindflayers Part 3

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Nono, the space goes before the colon.

Let's hope we do not get Baldur's Gate :3 Colonoscopy then...

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I was thinking more like Baldur's Gate: Gate's Baldur

we were kidding 'bout space, but the teaser did include what coulda' been a bit o' spelljammer.

4fed44fc67674e24266531de5e989917--giant-

and there were already a spelljammer nod in bg2.

Baldur's Gate 3: The Tannhauser Gate

any excuse for larian to repeat words unnecessarily sounds like a win.

HA! Good Fun!