Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

With Vice, Black Panther, Green Book, A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody comprising five out of the eight BP nominees this year, the Oscars are looking their worst since 2009. Especially considering it's been a rather great year for film otherwise - there's been no shortage of fantastic Oscar hopefuls that could have fit the bill much better. On the upside I'm glad The Favourite, Roma and Cold War got as much attention as they did generally, and having always had a soft spot for Spike Lee I'm glad that he's also back in the spotlight.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Popular film shows up in Oscars nominations.  News at 11.

Seriously if you look at the Oscars history, it goes through periods of nominating popular films - arguably since 1929 when top grossers THE BROADWAY MELODY (winner) and HOLLYWOOD REVUE were nominations.

I suspect rather strongly that for Black Panther, the honor is in the nomination and it won't win (joining films like STAR WARS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, E. T., Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, BABE, AVATAR, DISTRICT 9, TOY STORY 3, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, DOCTOR DOOLITTLE, etc.).  That said, if it does win it won't be a bad thing (and whether you agree with it or not, Oscars history is littered with noms that "shouldn't" have won, "shouldn't" have been nominated, and examples of great films, directors and actors who never received a nom).

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Black Panther got nominated because it is the most diverse movie of all time. OF ALL TIME. It is also the first black super hero film. *cough*  Blade *cough* LMAO

• Like 5

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think the expression was intended to convey that the film was the first stand alone film with a "black super hero" from Marvel Studios in their cinematic universe.

Besides the three Blade films, off the top of my head, Steel (1998), Blankman (1994) and Meteor Man (1993) predates Black Panther as superhero films with a 'black super hero' lead.  I'd have to research if there were earlier films than that.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ugh, a superhero movie in Oscar race is a new low. More importantly, an omen that the flood of that garbage ain't over yet. Oh well. Fingers crossed, pentagrams drawn.

You must be fun at parties :lol:
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Catwoman (2004) and Han**** (2008) I didn't think of because I was thinking of earlier than Blade even though they fit the criteria, and spot on for me missing Spawn (1997) which should have been on my list.

Seriously if you look at the Oscars history, it goes through periods of nominating popular films - arguably since 1929 when top grossers THE BROADWAY MELODY (winner) and HOLLYWOOD REVUE were nominations.

I suspect rather strongly that for Black Panther, the honor is in the nomination and it won't win (joining films like STAR WARS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, E. T., Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, BABE, AVATAR, DISTRICT 9, TOY STORY 3, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, DOCTOR DOOLITTLE, etc.).  That said, if it does win it won't be a bad thing (and whether you agree with it or not, Oscars history is littered with noms that "shouldn't" have won, "shouldn't" have been nominated, and examples of great films, directors and actors who never received a nom).

Yeah, I agree that it's nothing new, and as far as I'm concerned I'd much rather have Black Panther than Avatar as a populist representative. That said, what disappoints me personally about this year's Oscars relative to the likes of 2009/2010 is that I feel like there were many legitimately great films in contention this year that were left by the wayside in favour of what seems like a largely patchy selection of films all things considered. Widows, Beale Street, Leave No Trace, First Reformed, Cold War, First Man and more could have made it in instead. Shame, because the Oscars have otherwise been looking pretty damn solid so far this decade.

Edited by algroth

Watched Glass. Good movie basically ruined by the main ending.   So bad any interest in this 'universe' or any future films in it is evaporated. As opposed to Split's 'twist ending' which got me excited for the next installment and what was gonna happen next this one made  me not interested. I'll be skipping the next one in theatres.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've never seen an M.Night film and I don't think I ever will.

The last I've seen of his was The Village, back when it first came out. Can't say I've liked any of his films with the exception of Unbreakable which I recall being quite good. It definitely requires a rewatch but I'd say it's worth giving a watch nonetheless.

agreed.  am not the film buff as is amentep, but westerns and musicals were, at times, the most popular o' genre films, and more than a couple o' such films won best picture oscars or garnered critical acclaim for actors, actresses and directors. in fact, is hard not to see superhero flicks as kinda the 21st century western.  so many familiar superhero characters and plots gots western origins.  heck, logan didn't even pretend to hide the western influences... though am gonna suggest we saw more thunderdome than shane in logan... with thunderdome also having much in the way o' western influence. 

am thinking the shocking thing 'bout superhero films is they has taken so long to become mainstream.  gilgamesh. beowulf. nibelungenlied. how many o' us grew up enjoying norse and greek mythology? superpowered heroes fighting gods and monsters? such stuff is the first and most enduring stories. am thinking dark knight returns and watchmen were the books which helped a generation shake off the comic-are-for-kids baggage. no doubt special effects tech also needed to catch up enough to make superhero movies anything other than laughable, but am not certain if such an explanation complete accounts for consistent lack o' superhero movies throughout movie history... and batman (1966) don't count as consistent in our estimation.

however, and not 'cause am a contrarian, am still kinda disappointed black panther is getting the best picture nod.  off the top o' our head, am able to name seven superhero films we thought were superior to black panther.  am admitting is not fair to compare films from different years.  competition ain't the same in 2019 as it were in 2008 or 2017.  am trying to think o' a terrible 2019 snub for best picture and am at a loss.  if beale street could talk? we did enjoy black panther; were a solid superhero movie.  just weren't what we think o' when we think o' best picture candidates. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oscars history is littered with noms that "shouldn't" have won, "shouldn't" have been nominated, and examples of great films, directors and actors who never received a nom).

Dude. I know. I just f†cking hate superheroes and everything that has to do with them.

Yeah, I find them supremely awful on the whole too, but I'm more or less at peace with it at this point. I do wish they were more avoidable in online/public discussion at times, but I'm sure large amounts of people wish some of the things I like were more avoidable, too.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

however, and not 'cause am a contrarian, am still kinda disappointed black panther is getting the best picture nod.  off the top o' our head, am able to name seven superhero films we thought were superior to black panther.  am admitting is not fair to compare films from different years.  competition ain't the same in 2019 as it were in 2008 or 2017.  am trying to think o' a terrible 2019 snub for best picture and am at a loss.  if beale street could talk? we did enjoy black panther; were a solid superhero movie.  just weren't what we think o' when we think o' best picture candidates.

I mentioned a few above which I think would have been far better nominations than Black Panther or, heck, Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book for that matter, in Widows, Beale Street, Leave No Trace, First Reformed, Cold War and First Man. I think 2018 was a really strong year all things considered, which is then a shame that the Oscars are doing such a bad job at showing it.

Edited by algroth

On a more positive note, I'm glad Yorgos Lanthimos, Pawel Pawlikowski and Richard E. Grant got recognized this year. If Alfonso Cuarón wins the Oscar for best director (which is looking quite possible), that'll also make five times so far this decade that the award goes to a Mexican filmmaker, and one of the tres amigos on top of that. Grant's reaction to the nomination is rather endearing too: https://twitter.com/richardegrant/status/1087727401960984576?s=21

Edited by algroth

Widows was that good ?  Had thought it'd just be a run of the mill action flick.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Widows was that good ?  Had thought it'd just be a run of the mill action flick.

I found it to be excellent, and not at all a run of the mill film. You can absolutely feel Steve McQueen's signature throughout. The only thing I feel that holds it back from his best films are a couple of far-fetched plot points and the likes later on, but what's interesting is the way in which the backdrop to the main conflict plays out, how it deals with race and class tensions and a very naturalist and warty depiction of American culture and so on. It's somewhat reminiscent to me of Children of Men in that way, as in how despite a seemingly pulpy story driving the whole thing, the film's eye is constantly veering off to the side to paint a rather detailed and poignant portrait of the current sociopolitical landscape and where you quickly realize that's really what the filmmakers are interested in capturing.

Edited by algroth