Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

Salma with grey hair, reminding us who are old that we are only getting older... Geez

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Now that Interstellar's Publications are real science, I guess it's open season on re-using it's artistic interpretation of gravitational lensing.

Trailer is cut like every other "art horror" film though, all I can gather is a weak justification for placing its unlikely claustrophobic setting. I'll need a better trailer to really consider this prior to reception.

I thought the trailer was quite intriguing and enjoyed the visuals in it, they do remind me of Interstellar but so do they remind me of Under the Skin. On top of that it's a Claire Denis film and has so far received rather positive reviews. I'm certainly intrigued.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Sam Ellot's new movie looks interesting

It looked more interesting when I posted it literally three posts above yours. :p

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sorry, I edit it out now :(

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I just got back from Glass. Near the end people were walking out. I get it, I don't agree.

I'm waffling between saying it was good or great. It's not as good as Unbreakable or Split, but that might be just because I was prepared for this one.

I was on the verge of crying near the end. And if it had added one tiny thing, it would have done it for me.

By having a new hero appear in public, cementing what Glass did.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's one of those movies that people will love or hate I guess :) I can't wait to see it, I want a bad ending, like a depressing one. I always tend to root for the villains lol

The last movie I remember seeing people actually walk out off was "Land Of The Lost" with Will Farrell. I remember thinking to myself at the end "How did I sit through for such crap?"

And the only three movies where I remember people emotionally ripped to the point where they publically cried were "The Passion Of The Christ" On the crucifiction scene, "The Last Samurai" at the (near) ending and "The Lion King" when Jeremy Irons died. Poor Simba!

Agree about Up.

Glass is being mostly downplayed by critics, although I've read some more positive ones as well. Which is not to say one should make critics one's decision maker. :p Most aren't completely trashing it tho, if you read the whole review and not just headlines.

I think it would be funny if 150 years from now M. Night is hailed as a film genius (even his later works) not recognized in this own time. It's been known to happen.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I feel like quite a few Pixar films have a neat conceit for a short film that is eventually padded out for a full-length feature with largely perfunctory stuff. Wall-E similarly loses a lot of its charm as soon as they leave Earth, The Incredibles is way more funny and endearing as a "retired family-man superhero trying to live a normal everyday life" scenario than the standard supehero adventure it becomes when Mr. Incredible heads to that island, Toy Story 3 is bookended by some very lovely sequences regarding growing up and being passed to the new generation and whatnot but the whole daycare escape plot is just filler, and so on. But I would agree that arguably this issue is felt at its worst with Up given how disconnected the tone from both the initial sequence and everything after feels.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I think a lot of Pixar's movies feel really tight and concise. Basically everything up to Ratatouille was, then with Wall-E and UP they sort of fell off tonally. Then all the sequels started hitting. Which I don't think were necessarily padded, just sort of rehashes on a theme, or more exploration to a worlds internal logic. Dory get's caught again, Monsters learn their trade, Toys get donated. You get the idea.

Since then I think Inside Out, Coco, and The Incredibles 2 have all been top notch works. Brave was weaker than I would've liked, and I straight skipped The Good Dino and Cars 3 (cars 2 was trash.)

People cry at movies?

Yep. I don't think it's that rare a thing but since I don't go to the movies alot so the examples I listed were few.

I could only imagine how many men and women cried seeing The Notebook or Bridge To Taribithia for example, and for good reason. The writing in those movies abd acting were the best in their respective generations as far as emotional delivery in content.

WALL-E's my favorite Pixar movie, but I mostly just adore the robots (particularly WALL-E and EVE) in it and most of the other stuff is kind of whatever (which lends itself directly to what algroth said about post-Earth stuff). That's more of a personal taste thing, though. And yeah, I really don't like Up, but the beginning is fantastic.

People cry at movies?

Some of us are man- or lady-babies who can still feel emotions, yes. The amount of times my eyes have started watering during even silly stuff like Steven Universe is, quite frankly, pretty embarrassing.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

People cry at movies?

I wept a little bit while watching Titanic.

She wouldn't let me leave early..

• Like 5

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

People cry at movies?

I wept a little bit while watching Titanic.

She wouldn't let me leave early..

My dad and I were laughing at the people pinging off the railings at the end, so it was worth enduring it.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I thought I was the only user here who didn't like UP or WALL-E...

Anyhow, saw Glass. I got parts of where it was veering off to from clues in the movie, but not every piece. I liked it a lot even though it wasn't what I initially thought it'd be. I also liked how it addresses one of the lingering questions from UNBREAKABLE

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Everything is awesome! 360 video, stop-motion dance

Edited by SonicMage117

They are using the same falling animation for multiple scenes. It's really damn obvious.

Will have to rewatch it.  Though, suppose there are fairly limited ways to fall when clinging to a railing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They are using the same falling animation for multiple scenes. It's really damn obvious.

Will have to rewatch it.  Though, suppose there are fairly limited ways to fall when clinging to a railing.

It's when they bang on an object and start flipping / rotating around. I don't really remember, but I think even the sound is exactly the same.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."