Political Thread XX

Amentep

Isn't the problem more that there are fewer major conservative news sites and that people on the right get their news from fewer places than those opposite them? 

from the last paragraph of malcador's first linked article:

"To be sure, Mr. Trump's tweet repeated the assertion from PJ Media's article, which didn't include an assessment of the amount of content created by different news organizations nor the size of their readership."

is not difficult to imagine how searches for trump would typical provide negative stories if one assumes most media outlets do not care for trump.  large media outlets such as washington post and ny times and cnn is indeed writing negative stuff 'bout trump and as such it ain't shocking such stories is being searched for and read. as stated many times 'fore, there is nothing unethical 'bout a journalist or media source having a demonstrably negative opinion 'bout a President. 

regardless, would be dubious 'bout results from a pajamas media (am not kidding) "study" or report... especially any such as relates to google, yahoo or microsoft.  back in 2006, roger simon referred to the aforementioned as the "new axis of evil," and has advocated a number o' wingnut conspiracy theories dressed up as news which has been demonstrable proven false. heck, in an article lambasting wiki bias, pj media cited sources, sources which were actual from conservapedia. pj media is a trainwreck... but such doesn't make 'em necessarily wrong.  even so, is cause to be dubious 'bout pj media claims.

oh, and malcador suggestion 'bout 50/50 liberal conservative might not work for trump neither.

kinda miss 2015 lindsey graham. 

am thinking if the chief executive doesn't wanna read mean stories 'bout himself, he should quit doing and saying stuff which predictable is gonna result in bad press.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-trump-mit-idUSKBN18S6L0

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/30/12332922/donald-trump-khan-muslim

etc.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The only war McStain had a problem with, was the one he faced combat in. The man was an unashamed warmonger. Everywhere he has participated has involved war, ruin, destruction, and death. He worshiped state power, and is a vile human being for the things he has done to millions.

The only real question is, do all of his ISIS buddies in Syria get an invitation to the funeral?

Good riddance.

That wiki link says he volunteered for combat duty and during that short period before capture he was decorated for the missions he flew. Also says he started out as a pretty bad pilot but didn't stay that way. Mostly I think he's considered a hero is because of the way he conducted himself as a POW. I dunno if you had to go through torture training but the first thing they told us was that everyone breaks. That he held up as he did is quite impressive.. to me at least, and I disagreed with him on almost everything politically.

Just saw the new link pop up and it seems like it confirms what the first link said, he started off as a terrible pilot but that was all before he went to Vietnam.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2015/0723/John-McCain-s-air-war-over-Vietnam.-And-mine

https://www.c-span.org/video/?450491-9/senator-whitehouse-pays-tribute-senator-john-mccain

and

we knew whitehouse by name only, but of yesterday's tributes, am thinking whitehouse efforts stood out as particular noteworthy.  alternative, sherrod brown o' ohio had his mic silenced-- wrong time.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Anyone who can fly a plane is magical to me.

The smear campaign for McCain is ridiculous though. Over 5 years as a POW? People complain on the internet when a game gets delayed for a couple months. Have some perspective.

• Like 1

I can understand why someone like Gfted1 who worked on a carrier wouldn't like a reckless pilot. I can even understand Mr M's criticism of McCain's interventionalism though maybe definitely not his tone. But Trump's criticisms are a bridge too far for me.

• Like 1

Would be funny to picture Trump in Vietnam.  Maybe he'd be Lt Wolfe in Platoon :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The smear campaign for McCain is ridiculous though. Over 5 years as a POW? People complain on the internet when a game gets delayed for a couple months. Have some perspective.

one suspects the recent criticism o' heroism would be significant muted if not for the thumbs down defeat o' obamacare repeal and mccain's animosity towards trump.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24518450/ns/politics-decision_08/t/navy-releases-mccains-military-record/

have seen references to 23 bombing runs for mccain, but am having no idea where such numbers is coming from.  take 23 with a grain o' salt as am having no way to check sources. regardless, particular after the forrestal fire, mccain were part o' an undermanned carrier air group facing conditions as described in the cs monitor article linked by us earlier in this thread, and did so for months.  mccain were, 'ccording to the linked nbcnews article, awarded a bronze star and other commendations for his pilot efforts before the day he was shot down.  am not certain why one would dismiss mccain courage while a pow, refusing release 'til others who had been in captivity longer were set free, but even before being shot down and captured, mccain had done enough to merit the label o' hero in Gromnir's book. nevertheless, to marginalize what mccain and others endured in combat and as pows is difficult for us to comprehend.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am having difficulty imagining what it would be like to refuse the keys to our own release. after years o' torture, to choose to extend the time o' our confinement 'cause o' a matter o' conscience and principle? am glad we need never have had to face such a choice, 'cause am suspecting we would have failed to show the same mettle as mccain.

• Like 3

Smoke checking

Slightly OT, but I would like to ask what this means?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Im not trying to smear McCain. I don't live in his district, don't know his policies or beliefs and have absolutely no dog in his living or dying. Pinky swear. Im specifically focused on what constitutes a "war hero" and he is the person of topic.

Smoke checking

Checking urban dictionary, the usage has definitely changed from my intended usage! In its loosest terms (to me) it means the damage or destruction of something. Like, "He redlined the car and smoke checked the engine!" In my comment above I meant McCain "smoke checked" four aircraft (accident, accident, hit power lines, shot down). Thank goodness his father was an Admiral. ;)

Interesting, I had presumed it was a reference to McCain's alleged tendency to put a little extra fuel in on engine startup to freak out rookies.

I'm with Gfted on this.

I think a lot of the criticism of McCain is a response to him being lionised in death. He certainly had his good points and some moral issues he would not shift on no matter how politically expedient it would be and no matter how many other supposedly moral people did, like torture; and his conduct after being shot down in Vietnam was nothing short of exemplary. That's a lot more positive than you could say about most politicians no matter what else.

But, he'd probably have been drummed out of the navy well previous if he was John Bloggs instead of John McCain as his record for hot dogging and crashing planes was extremely poor. His foreign policy was also rabidly interventionist- and worse, maintained even when patently stupid*- despite his first hand experience of what such interventionism lead to. Let's be honest, as much as the GWB's, Trumps, Cheney's etc were a bunch of chickenhawk hypocrites for their militarism while hiding from action McCain probably volunteered precisely because he wanted 'action' rather than sitting around, to get out there and actually bomb some godless commie goo^H^H^H^H Vietnamese- and not out of any 'nobility' or 'heroism'.

*while he didn't actually get himself photographed with Baghdadi he did contrive to get himself photographed with three other 'moderate rebels' who became prominent ISIS commanders a year later, but that never shook his confidence.

Edited by Zoraptor

Im not trying to smear McCain. I don't live in his district, don't know his policies or beliefs and have absolutely no dog in his living or dying. Pinky swear. Im specifically focused on what constitutes a "war hero" and he is the person of topic.

Smoke checking

Checking urban dictionary, the usage has definitely changed from my intended usage! In its loosest terms (to me) it means the damage or destruction of something. Like, "He redlined the car and smoke checked the engine!" In my comment above I meant McCain "smoke checked" four aircraft (accident, accident, hit power lines, shot down). Thank goodness his father was an Admiral. ;)

Thanks!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Could also be him coming from a military family rather than him being a war junkie type.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I didn't think you were if it matters any. I thought you were mostly concerned about his flying and the likelihood of pretty much any other pilot being kicked out for the things he got away with. I did grow up in his state and met the man once or twice

Could also be him coming from a military family rather than him being a war junkie type.

It's possible he felt the need to live up to the family name because with his connections I'm sure he could have stayed in a champagne unit if he wanted. You've probably never heard of Chesty Puller but he's basically the head god in the Marine Corps pantheon. Anyway, his son followed or tried to follow in his father's footsteps but with much more unfortunate results. Quite tragic really.
  • Like 1

It's possible he felt the need to live up to the family name because with his connections I'm sure he could have stayed in a champagne unit if he wanted. You've probably never heard of Chesty Puller but he's basically the head god in the Marine Corps pantheon. Anyway, his son followed or tried to follow in his father's footsteps but with much more unfortunate results. Quite tragic really.

I know about Puller, didn't know about his son though - yikes, amazed he pulled through that.

But, he'd probably have been drummed out of the navy well previous if he was John Bloggs instead of John McCain as his record for hot dogging and crashing planes was extremely poor. 

To be fair, he probably wouldn't have been a pilot in the first place, so we are dealing with some big what-ifs.