The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

42926001_2484422444916424_49975148019166

42898045_2484421464916522_46526163781534

This exquisite c. 4,500 year old rock crystal dagger blade was discovered in a megalithic tomb, with two chambers, at Valencina de la Concepción (near Seville) ...in Spain. The second chamber contained a burial which was covered with red pigment made from cinnabar.

Additionally a large number of crystal arrowheads were found together.
2575- 2197 BCE.
Recent research suggest that Valencina was a major node in the circulation of exotic materials such as ivory, amber, cinnabar or flint in Copper Age Iberia.

For those interested in the academic paper, and not just the pretty pictures and highlight...

"Ivory craftsmanship, trade and social significance in the southern Iberian Copper Age: the evidence from the PP4-Montelirio sector of Valencina de la Concepción (Seville, Spain).”

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/us/az-off-duty-border-patrol-agent-wildfire/index.html

An off-duty border patrol agent wanted an explosive gender reveal party for his family and friends, but he ended up igniting a wildfire that spread to Coronado National Forest in Arizona.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One of our van drivers is paid by weight and for every stop on his tour. Don't ask me why, everyone else has a different contract.

Probably beats shipping parcels. They're paid 50 cent or less per delivered package and people complain about poor service. I wonder if that's connected somehow. :geek:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

42926001_2484422444916424_49975148019166

42898045_2484421464916522_46526163781534

This exquisite c. 4,500 year old rock crystal dagger blade was discovered in a megalithic tomb, with two chambers, at Valencina de la Concepción (near Seville) ...in Spain. The second chamber contained a burial which was covered with red pigment made from cinnabar.

Additionally a large number of crystal arrowheads were found together.

2575- 2197 BCE.

Recent research suggest that Valencina was a major node in the circulation of exotic materials such as ivory, amber, cinnabar or flint in Copper Age Iberia.

For those interested in the academic paper, and not just the pretty pictures and highlight...

"Ivory craftsmanship, trade and social significance in the southern Iberian Copper Age: the evidence from the PP4-Montelirio sector of Valencina de la Concepción (Seville, Spain).”

I wonder what it's purpose was...

Was it used to kill in battle by a high-ranking officer?

Was it made as a celebritory piece?

Was it made just to accompany the dead in the tombs as an honor piece?

Was it some kind of key to a door?

So many possibilities and yet only really one real question: What was it's true purpose?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Was it some kind of key to a door?

So many possibilities and yet only really one real question: What was it's true purpose?

According to Lara Croft, it was meant to be plunged into a mystical box to stop the sun going out....

• Like 3

Apparently obesity is becoming a problem in the US armed forces. https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/10/03/a-staggering-number-of-troops-are-fat-and-tired-report-says/

I have to tell you I have a hard time believing this one. I can't speak for the other services but in the Marines you run a PFT twice a year and get uniform inspections frequently. Usually once or twice a month. Unit PT is three times a week and individual PT is highly encouraged. And in fact can even get you out of some unpleasant tasks. If you start failing PFTs or even looking overweight they are going to start f-----g with you until you are back in line.

Of course that was 20 years ago. Maybe it is different now. I can't see it though. I was never around the Army or AF much and the Navy had different standards than we did. I saw no fat Gunnery Sergeants but I did see some fat Chief's (Chief Petty Officer, Navy rank E-7 or better). But in the US Navy a Chief was untouchable for the most part. You had it made if you got that far. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In the Navy, the biannual PFT tests are scaled to your age. Our tests only consisted of; pushups, situps and a 1.5 mile run and the older you are the more time you got to reach the requirements. We also werent graded on "weight" but "body fat %". Even back in the late 80's and early 90's there were fat bastards that barely made it through the circular deck hatches. :lol:

• Like 1

Guess they need more funding :p

But I suppose they do, as then they can decrease the 'tempo' they have set now which, as they said, is affecting that sleep medication use.  And lack of sleep does encourage over-eating,, no ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Irish journalist spends a year traveling the US. He posted about 17 things that surprised him or he didn't like about life in the US. It's criticism with more than a touch of humor. I got a chuckle out of t. Can't say I disagree with him on most of them https://www.businessinsider.com/17-cultural-clashes-this-european-had-in-america-2017-6

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Knowledge is power....

The problem today is that way too many people are choosing to fight that power."

• Like 1

• Like 1

Irish journalist spends a year traveling the US. He posted about 17 things that surprised him or he didn't like about life in the US. It's criticism with more than a touch of humor. I got a chuckle out of t. Can't say I disagree with him on most of them https://www.businessinsider.com/17-cultural-clashes-this-european-had-in-america-2017-6

Pretty spot on from my experiences there as well.

Even so, I keep coming back.

Pretty spot on from my experiences there as well.

Even so, I keep coming back.

Everyone is always welcome.... mostly... by most folks anyway.

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

She's clearly a RPG protagonist. If I was a resident of any location near there I would be really woried about any chests or cabinets in my house and barrels outside my house getting looted.

• Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks