Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Battle Royale

Sort of a childrens version of "Survivor".

The humour is a bit bizarre in places, almost comic book like. Mostly good, way (way way) over the top fun though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hide & Seek has to be one of Robert DeNiro's worse films. The first 30 minutes was somewhat enticing but after that....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Red.

Entertaining in that light and fluffy manner. A few outrightly humerous bits, and seeing Helen Mirren use a large amount of guns is worth it.. The romance sub-plot is used for the humour effect to start with then mostly forgotten abouts in the last half of the film.

Brian Cox is quite standout as the aging russian spy who used to be the enemy.. and until he opened his mouth I didn't recognise Richard Dreyfuss in his evil businessman character..

Some nice action sequences, but nothing too overblown.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Toy Story 3

It was more to check out how what pixar are doing with Renderman, but it was actually the best film of the series. It's not aimed at a child audience like the two previous ones.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Green Zone. Good fictional thriller exploring a few of the viewpoints re:why/how the US invaded Iraq in 2003. Damon is his usual stoic all-American persona as the guy who's frustrated at finding no WMD's and wants to know why. Some action/tense set ups, well acted & directed.

I was actually the most interested in the small role of the character 'Freddy' & his possible motivations.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

I was mostly scratching my head throughout. It had some really funny bits, but the pacing was incredibly off and made it feel a lot more boring than what was happening on screen should have allowed. I think it went a little overboard - after twenty minutes you're sort of used to it throwing curveballs at you and for the rest of the movie you stop being surprised at anything.

The Canterville Ghost..

pre-Scream Neve Campbell and Patrick Stewart as the Ghost.. it's a semi-oldy.. but it's still a quite good adaption of the story.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just watched Avatar on the 50" tv, via HBO. It's the 2nd viewing for me.

On the big screen I think I gave it a B+, maybe a little higher. On the TV I'd give it a B- or slightly lower. All the bright, over-saturated/shiny CGI that I could tell was CGI +story weakness became that much more noticeable when not being awed by huge screen and really detracted for me. Older action movies like Aliens translate to the small screen a lot better.

Just watched Avatar on the 50" tv, via HBO. It's the 2nd viewing for me.

On the big screen I think I gave it a B+, maybe a little higher. On the TV I'd give it a B- or slightly lower. All the bright, over-saturated/shiny CGI that I could tell was CGI +story weakness became that much more noticeable when not being awed by huge screen and really detracted for me. Older action movies like Aliens translate to the small screen a lot better.

Did you watch it on Blu-Ray? I thought it was better on my Blu-Ray player than it was on the big screen.

edit: Just noticed the HBO comment. Yeah, I'd imagine it would lose a lot of awe factor that way, even if it was an HD feed.

Edited by Hurlshot

Yup, HBO...just cable's version of HD. Plus, it wasn't in 3D. The 3D in the theater wasn't that "awesome" or eye-pop stuff, but it did add a little dimension, and at home I could easily tell what bits were filmed w/the 3D in mind...also distracting. :thumbsup:

watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

i've never read past the 5th book, and had only seen the first 3 movies, and now i remember why

Harry is a dumbass, Hermione is ****ing annoying as hell, and Ron is a damn dunce

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Van Helsing.

'Twilight' for guys :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...

i've never read past the 5th book, and had only seen the first 3 movies, and now i remember why

Harry is a dumbass, Hermione is ****ing annoying as hell, and Ron is a damn dunce

:D

Stopped at the same place. Harry just got way to whiny at that point and I couldn't stand reading any more of that crap.

glad to see i'm not the only one

people usually seem to think i'm some kinda heretic for not liking the series :ermm:

You guys left too early. I haven't watched any of the movies but have read the books. I happened to enjoy the last 2-3 but everything before that kind of sucked imo. The last book is far superior than any of the previous ones and you're really kind of missing out if you spent the time to read 5 books in just to stop before the real intensity begins. Yeah you should expect some more angst and what not but there's a fair amount of action and people getting slaughtered off like wild animals.

I'm thinking about watching V for Vendetta tonight.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.