Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's on the idiot box?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
605 replies to this topic

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3242 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

On tv related matters somewhat, at least it's not a death but still, showing time creeping onwards..

Sir David Attenborough reveals he is struggling to recall names as he tours the globe for new tv series

Sir David Attenborough is taking longer to write the script for his upcoming series because he struggles to recall 'proper names', he has disclosed.

As he continues to travel the globe at 90 years old for Blue Planet II, the naturalist admitted he is "coming to terms" with the fact that when it takes longer to find the right words, you can "run into problems".

Speaking to the Telegraph 24 hours after a trip to the Jura Mountains in Switzerland, he added: "There were these searing yellow fields and I can’t think of the damn name. I wanted to say something about it but I couldn’t and it wasn’t until we got quite close to Geneva that I thought, of course, oil seed rape."

Sir David also admits that at nearly 91, he does not use the internet or emails, despite working with some of the most pioneering technology in the world to make his documentaries.

In an admission that will no doubt be reassuring for pensioners across Britain, he said: "I’m not a big fan of electronic communication. When it comes to making television programmes, I like to think that I know what the latest gear is and what tomorrow’s latest gear is, but maybe I'm deceiving myself.

In last year’s celebrated Planet Earth II series, he appeared on screen only twice, once on a hot air balloon over the Alps at the beginning, and once from the top of London’s Shard. Showing no signs of slowing down, in Blue Planet II, he will make the same number of appearances, from Florida and Dominica.

Speaking of one spectacle to be shared with viewers, he added: "I’ve just come back from Florida where we have been filming spinner sharks. There are 20,000 of them and people don’t even know they’re there. From a helicopter you can see this great column of fish and sharks, and just over there, there are people exercising their dogs on the beach."

Despite his age, he remains as dedicated to conserving the planet as ever, adding: "Everyone must do what they can because it’s the most valuable thing we have got, whether your 60 years old or 106."

After more than 60 years of unveiling the world’s wonders to the British public, Sir David has witnessed a vast change in the state of the world.

While wildlife programming was once about showing off the simple beauty of nature, now he is criticised for not showing the full extent of the crisis facing many species and habitats today.

"Fifty years ago we thought the natural world was invulnerable so never mentioned any problems. The criticism today is you are showing a false impression of the world, you never show any disaster, illnesses, you don’t show poaching; you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

"If we only showed the Garden of Eden aspect of the natural world and never any of humanity’s effect on it then we would be culpable, but we do."

Sir David, a former director of programming at the BBC, added that the corporation has a duty to make brave documentaries that challenge public perceptions.

"The moment you say that you’re only going to do the things that people like then you’re in trouble."

However, speaking at the Sir David Attenborough Building at an event dedicated to conservation's successes yesterday, he highlighted how important positive stories can be.

Likening conservation to voting, Sir David said: "If you think that there is nothing you can do about an impending disaster then you won’t do anything. If you talk to a psychologist, I think you will find that if you continually bombard people with news of disaster then they will actually freeze and say ‘there’s nothing I can do’."

Professor Steven Pinker, a cognitive scientist and psychologist who spoke before Sir David at the Earth Optimism event yesterday agreed.

"A number of species have been brought back from the brink of extinction. More land has been set aside for conservation. It’s important to highlight the improvements that have been made because if you sincerely believe that we are doomed, that the world is heading for a horrific apocalypse unless we immediately take steps that we have no probability of taking, then the rational response is 'let’s not even bother'."

Speaking to an audience including Princess Michael of Kent yesterday, Sir David told the story of a bridge in Borneo that was abandoned after conservationists warned it would be the final death knell for an already decimated area of rainforest.

His closing address followed stories of the black robin and Mauritius kestrel, bought back from the brink of extinction when there was just one known breeding female left.

In his final words at Earth Optimism, he added: "I'm optimistic because of children. I see a lot of children, children write to me, and it is my impression that over the last 60 years, they have become aware, and it is their belief that the natural world is their inheritance."

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Flash S3E19

Spoiler

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2323 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Spoiler

it was the last bit that made me lol. At this point it's just taking the mickey.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm sure the answer is: because it would screw up the season story line but a couple things:

Spoiler

MeteorBear

MeteorBear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I watched the new War and Peace mini series and thoroughly enjoyed it. I havent enjoyed a new series since Stranger Things so this was nice.

• BruceVC likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2507 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HN Aliens

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3242 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

American Gods.

Perfectly Gaiman.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7134 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

American Gods.

Perfectly Gaiman.

hmmm.

we would say instead, "american gods is perfectly fuller."   

Spoiler

fuller more than gaiman.  am not complaining, but tone were set early.

the book were never our favorite gaiman as it lacked necessary focus, but am s'posing such would actual be a non-problem for a tv show lasting multiple episodes and seasons.  rather than try and capture some kinda non-existent singular american identity, gaiman explored the diversity o' america/americans, which meant he were kinda all over the map both literal and figurative. messy.  

however, for episodic tv, having access to a plethora o' unique and colorful characters is gonna be welcome and increase longevity as repetition will be easy to avoid.  gaiman has even added characters for the tv show, yes? 

am curious to see how much the show diverges from gaiman and his book, and truth is we is hopeful for more fuller than gaiman as we want a few surprises.

oh, and the show were pretty to look at, but am hopeful the show don't eventual become self indulgent with the lavish images and loaded symbolism. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 01 May 2017 - 08:52 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

FYI, Lucifer is back from hiatus.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4517 posts

The Expanse E13

The season finale was awesome. Season 3 was confirmed for 2018 so I have a long wait. :(

mmm the dilemma felt forced. Why didn't they just go back and shoot the thing 

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am not sure the hundreds of other ships in the area would really get what was going on?

Still sux that Miller is gone. He partly defined the show for me.

Also learned yesterday that season 2 of Hap and Leonard is out. Cool.

American Gods ep1 was... interesting? I've heard / read nothing about it before, so I was left a tad in the dark. The over the top intro was a bit of a "meh", but all right, will see how this is going to end.

Edited by Lexx, 02 May 2017 - 07:05 PM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Flash S3E20

Spoiler

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2323 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That episode summed up the whole season of Flash. Could have been good, but too drawn out and too much stultifying and senseless relationship d-r-a-m-a in between the good bits.

Spoiler

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Don't normally like superhero teamups, but sometimes it works.

INT_JLI_punch2.jpg

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2386 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
American Gods. Weren't they going to change stuff? First episode is practically the book verbatim, makes me wonder why I bothered watching. Certainly not for the Zack Snyder slo-fast-mo blood spatter nonsense. Skip if you've already read it, it adds nothing of value.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2911 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That episode summed up the whole season of Flash. Could have been good, but too drawn out and too much stultifying and senseless relationship d-r-a-m-a in between the good bits.

Spoiler

Spoiler

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Binged BoJack Horseman. Loved the storyline(s), dialogue and voice acting, didn't really like the animation, but that's a problem I have with a lot of western animation.

Edited by majestic, 06 May 2017 - 12:42 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4517 posts

I am not sure the hundreds of other ships in the area would really get what was going on?

Still sux that Miller is gone. He partly defined the show for me.

Also learned yesterday that season 2 of Hap and Leonard is out. Cool.

American Gods ep1 was... interesting? I've heard / read nothing about it before, so I was left a tad in the dark. The over the top intro was a bit of a "meh", but all right, will see how this is going to end.

I meant when he was stuck behind whatever and the thing was digging into the reactor core. 

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1714 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm watching the first two seasons trying to figure out Savitar, but, nothing doing--although it's obvious the writers love to flip the table after setting up certain scenarios, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about a double reveal ...

Favorite shot from the entire series ... season two, on Earth 2, in Barry and Iris' house, the rotary phone push-button speed dial contact list: "Bruce ... Hal ... Diana"

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4929 posts

American Gods. Weren't they going to change stuff? First episode is practically the book verbatim, makes me wonder why I bothered watching. Certainly not for the Zack Snyder slo-fast-mo blood spatter nonsense. Skip if you've already read it, it adds nothing of value.

Did you turn 30 recently? I swear, you're getting more cynical by the hour :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users