What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

I'm kinda with Volo on Arya in this episode, but likewise I agree that her first scene was pretty sweet. Just a good slice of entertainment. The second sequence was woeful though, and it is by and large because of Ed ****ing Sheeran. He was completely out of place in it and placed so on the forefront so as to stick like a sore thumb, singing his 'folk' tune like he were before the X Factor jury. Groan-inducing tosh. Other than that, a decent-enough season opener.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

"Are you applying 21st century morals to a War of the Roses era medieval fantasy TV show? What are you, a libtard? :biggrin:"

Funny. But, I'm actually using the fictional world's morals to it. Afterall, the show purposefully moralizes things. It is why the Starks are 'good' and the Lannisters are 'bad' according to the  the entire narrative.

If you think Pappa Stark would, in any way, approve of Arya's actions, think again. Of course, knowing him he would try to fix it for Aarya. What Aarya is doing isn't right and I bet even the immoral Hound would tell her so.

P.S. I thought Sheeran did fine for his small part. People being butthurt over a famous guy having a small role are being crybabies. He fit perfectly.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow, pop culture has turned on it's head. We've had gay characters in westerns,

Arguably Dutch Engstrom in The Wild Bunch, assuming there's no more definitive earlier example.

Superman renounced his US Citizenship,

Didn't stick as it was a stunt.

Spider-Man is black... no Puerto Rican... no both (it's a bitch when you can't decide)

Spider-Man is still Peter Parker. Ultimate Spider-Man (a different continuity) was Miles Morales who took over after that universe's Peter Parker died (and who is now in the regular Marvel U post the destruction of the Ultimate Universe).  Note that Doc Ock was Peter Parker as Spider-Man for about two years, so these kind of soap-opera drama changes are par for the course for modern comics.

Doctor Who, Thor, and Captain Marvel are all women now

IIRC there's a myth story where Loki turns Thor into a woman temporarily; also the alternate history of the Earth X stories had Thor being turned to a woman by Odin, both pre-dating Jane Foster-Thor. Captain Marvel was made a woman when Monica Rambeau took the name over in 1982.  Its passed between men and women (including the original Captain Marvel's genetic son and daughter and a Skrull impersonator) until Carol "formerly Ms. Marvel" Danvers took the title.

And as mentioned John Nathan-Turner teased casting a woman since he took over the show, and series producer/former head of the BBC Sydney Newman suggested that casting during the "cancellation crisis" during Colin Baker's tenure.  It was more an inevitability than a possibility, I think.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Are you applying 21st century morals to a War of the Roses era medieval fantasy TV show? What are you, a libtard? :biggrin:"

Funny. But, I'm actually using the fictional world's morals to it. Afterall, the show purposefully moralizes things. It is why the Starks are 'good' and the Lannisters are 'bad' according to the  the entire narrative.

If you think Pappa Stark would, in any way, approve of Arya's actions, think again. Of course, knowing him he would try to fix it for Aarya. What Aarya is doing isn't right and I bet even the immoral Hound would tell her so.

P.S. I thought Sheeran did fine for his small part. People being butthurt over a famous guy having a small role are being crybabies. He fit perfectly.

I'd say the moral of the GoT is that women are bad and men struggle with their consciences. :p

I had no idea who Sheeran was and liked the scene. 

He didn't do anything that ruined the scene, but it was a bit jarring seeing him. I will probably feel the same about McGregor too. It's not a huge deal, but it was a bit silly.

The episode had decent moments, but I don't think it was that good. I just want the plump sir to finish the books, so I can read them.

until Carol "formerly Ms. Marvel" Danvers took the title.

She's probably been the most popular "___ Marvel" at Marvel for some time. About time she got the promotion. It really seemed like the only reason Marvel had the previous Captain Marvels was to keep DC from using it for Shazam

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't liked that Sheeran thing, because it felt out of place to me. The scene was so focused on him, it was weird. Like... obvious product placements. You know he won't have a big role in all of it, but yet the whole setup rotates around him for that very moment. Weird.

I am mixed about this episode. I'm not disappointed or something, but it had me feel pretty much how I expected it. A long intro to the new season, same as always.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have nothing against him, I don't think I ever heard his music and he's no more or less famous than over half of Game of Thrones' cast. The issue is not who was the cameo but how the cameo was handled. Essentially I agree with this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/07/17/yes-ed-sheerans-game-of-thrones-cameo-was-a-mistake/#68235da5544f

He was out of place, the GoT equivalent of a Pillars backer character, only that he can't be ignored. The attempts to frame him into every shot made the whole thing *look* extremely awkward, and this has nothing to do with Sheeran himself but with the overall handling of the scene. Had this been done differently, like, for example, not introducing Sheeran by having him sing and then be congratulated on his singing (a move that reeks of complacency), it could have been perfectly passable as the other musician cameos in the series have. Heck, for all their deficiencies as musicians there've been plenty of pop stars who later delivered some pretty decent parts (see Marky Mark, Justin Timberlake in The Social Network and Zendaya in Spider-Man: Homecoming for a few examples), and even now I'm looking forward to Dunkirk starring Harry Styles. There's really no excuse to defend what was just a very poor scene.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

She's probably been the most popular "___ Marvel" at Marvel for some time. About time she got the promotion. It really seemed like the only reason Marvel had the previous Captain Marvels was to keep DC from using it for Shazam

It isn't petty if it's payback

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Every so often the comic companies will trot charters out to renew trademarks. That said none of the replacements have sold greatly, but Carol has a strong core following

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For a recent release on Amazon Prime that might provide a few chuckles...

Nobility.

Currently being dubbed a "dramedy, The Office in Space", it has a whole bunch of actors from various sci-fi shows playing the not so brilliant crew of the "best" warship in Humanities navy in the far future.

When you have the likes of Cas Anvar (the Expanse), Walter Koenig (Star Trek & Babylon 5), Torri Higginson (SG:Atlantis & Dark Matter), Christopher Judge (SG1), Ellen Dubin (Lexx), along with a bunch of other faces and voices you'd recognise just simply having fun doing slightly twisted takes on some of the classic sci-fi show archetypes... All shot in a way to remind you of those low-budget early sci-fi series, that are kind of bad, but still enjoyable.

When the dysfunctional government, the Confederate Alliance, decides to create a documentary of the flagship, Nobility, political turmoil results as it becomes apparent that the crew of the Nobility aren't the heroes they were looking for - but they may be the ones humanity needs.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hmm.  And for the latest teasers from ComicCon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaEUhfMUKQ

It is the 20th anniversary of Stargate: SG-1, and MGM had a surprise for fans of the show at SDCC–they are working on a brand new series starring the daughter of the archaeologist who unearthed the first of Earth’s Stargates, young Catherine Langford.

Fans of the show recall that little Catherine was on the site of the archaeological dig where her father found the gate, and she remained its guardian over the years as various groups decided what to do with it. But it turns out that Catherine had a few secret adventures of her own….

Of course, there will have to be an explanation as to how the gate became viable back then without the help of Daniel Jackson’s translation and a DHD, but that’s a problem for the show to unravel in earnest. And the idea of Catherine Langford having her own Stargate adventure is pretty neat. According to the information released at SDCC, Catherine must “go on an adventure in order to save the Earth from terrifying darkness.”

Stargate Origins will be be offered via a dedicated MGM streaming service called Stargate Command, a brand new platform set to showcase all Stargate-related content, including behind-the-scenes material. Official word from Kevin Conroy, president of digital platforms at MGM, brings more information:

“We’ve been eager to revisit the ‘Stargate’ franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure. We view ‘Stargate Origins’ as a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with ‘
Stargate Origins.’”

Stargate Command will be available as a streaming service starting this fall. Stargate Origins is set to be a ten-episode series, written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry and directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan. No word yet on who will be playing Catherine Langford, or what over-arching plot of the show will entail.

SG-1 does have a lot of very good moments to it. It builds up the universe in a way that works quite well, it has some epic quotes and hugely entertaining banter. Plus some villains that run that fine line of camp to evil mastermind to magnificent bastard.

I've only ever seen the Stargate movie that started it all. Are the other series any good?

There are ups and downs as it is with every long running sci-fi franchise. SG-1 and the first three seasons of Atlantis I would recommend without hesitation. SG-1's initial season or two might seem a bit dated, what with it being a mid 90ies sci-fi TV show in a (then) contemporary setting.

While I liked Stargate Universe (as the only person in the galaxy I guess :p) I generally can't recommend watching it. It only ran for two seasons and ended on one of the worst, never resolved cliffhangers in the history of TV shows so spending the time and effort to start caring about the characters is sadly wasted.

All that said, hey MGM buttholes, how about finishing SG:U's arc in some fashion and resolve that cliffhanger instead of making a show that directly contradicts current Stargate lore. :banghead:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've only ever seen the Stargate movie that started it all. Are the other series any good?

There are ups and downs as it is with every long running sci-fi franchise. SG-1 and the first three seasons of Atlantis I would recommend without hesitation. SG-1's initial season or two might seem a bit dated, what with it being a mid 90ies sci-fi TV show in a (then) contemporary setting.

I'd agree but I'd also add not to expect science fiction from SG1, SG1 is a fantasy series with a contemporary setting- and is riddled with fantasy tropes. Atlantis is better in that regard, as is Universe; but perhaps as a consequence they're both less consistently 'fun' than SG1.

While I liked Stargate Universe (as the only person in the galaxy I guess :p) I generally can't recommend watching it. It only ran for two seasons and ended on one of the worst, never resolved cliffhangers in the history of TV shows so spending the time and effort to start caring about the characters is sadly wasted.

All that said, hey MGM buttholes, how about finishing SG:U's arc in some fashion and resolve that cliffhanger instead of making a show that directly contradicts current Stargate lore. :banghead:

I too liked Universe, but if SG1 was fluffy fantasy with Real American Heroes bringing Truth Justice and The American Way to the cosmos then Universe was too far the other way. The BSG inspiration was clear, but Universe went a bit too far into the pointless CWesque (or was it still WB/ UPN then?) drama that dragged BSG down (though at least they mostly avoided the pointless religio-philosophical guff that really killed BSG).

There will be a SGU comic to resolve the cliffhanger, apparently. Official so far as I am aware, but not written by the showrunners.

What was good about the movie was that it was basically cosmic fantasy that just had a salient way to tie that to our modern world. Offering literally a portal to this other world.

I'll probably have to check SG-1 out then.

Apropos of nothing, I actually loved the BSG remake.