Divinity: Original Sin 2, coming to Kickstarter on August 26th

Infinitron

D:OS was both a financial and a critical success (it got several "RPG of the year" awards). 2, like the first, is already well on it's way through development now that they started the kickstarter and they will even have a hands on demo at PAX. but, just like the first, to add certain features they need work time and that costs money. through kickstarter they can get the extra money needed for the features they want to add, and can gauge how financially sound it is to spend the time to add these features

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

"(it got several "RPG of the year" awards)"

Consdiring that 'rpg of the year awards' are handed out as candy I'm not surprised. Good game but overrated. PE, SR, WL2, and a mystery game were all better KS games than D;OS.

\

\Bottom line, is if this game was a Diablo AAA Killer they wouldn't need to be begging on KS again.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Are they releasing the enhanced edition of DOS first?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I will fund this without question. The first game was fun, had great humor, quest resolution, and problem solving. Sure the plot was thin and certain aspects of the character creation and combat systems could have been improved, but whatever. Larian has actually taken up those concerns with their free enhanced edition. I imagine much of it will be trial balloons for the sequel's systems--even more so given the release/announcement proximity.

Or they are just smart, and want to monetize their success with free of risk funds... it will also allow to keep their community feel involved in the development process. Free money is always good you know.

For thousands of years, the only way artists and musicians could get by was by first pleasing their wealthy patron. This is just a reversion to the mean, albeit in a vastly superior fashion. Far better for gaming studious to live and die by their reputation and quality than 20th century publishing models.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent

I just hope this time round you can make a male character that doesn't look like he's overdosed on steroids...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

"(it got several "RPG of the year" awards)"

Consdiring that 'rpg of the year awards' are handed out as candy I'm not surprised. Good game but overrated. PE, SR, WL2, and a mystery game were all better KS games than D;OS.

\

\Bottom line, is if this game was a Diablo AAA Killer they wouldn't need to be begging on KS again.

but it was never meant to compete with Diablo 3... it's a completelly different game under every point of view. even their first game "Divine Divinity" that had diablo like H&S combat, was totally different than diablo in every other aspect

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

So D:OS is like Diablo. In before Volour claims PoE failed as "the Diablo killer Obsidian wanted".

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It's not about it being like Diablo. But Larian and their fanboys claimed that its 'success' proved that AAA games weren't that big of deal and KS success showed that AAA games were laughably unneeded.

DOS the Diablo killer with its billions of sales are now begging for more money. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They don't need the money because DivOS did badly though, they need the money because of other factors- Dragon Commander plus one cancelled game iirc. If DivOS made them $20 million dollars and they had debts of 20 million dollars then they'd only be back to parity despite DivOS's success, it would just have cancelled out the failures. It's like saying that Thief(s) and System Shock 2 failed because LGS went out of business or Saints Row 3 failed because THQ did; actually the companies failed because of self publishing Terra Nova/ a multi title deal with EA that saw no SS2 profits go to LGS and deciding a Wii peripheral would be awsum and a must have on other consoles.

You're also misrepresenting things in, ironically, a positively Brucesque fashion. The kickstarted games are not Diablo killers in the way you mean, they just have the consequence that you don't 'have' to lease some festering AAA dreck because there are literally no other RPGs available, a situation which was pretty close to accurate a few years ago.

I will definitely NOT back this as I still haven't been able to play the copy of D:OS promised to me during the Kickstarter and likely won't until about a year and a ****ing half after the game released on Windows and Mac, or who knows, maybe the Linux version will get pushed back yet again even further and won't even release until after the console versions which weren't even part of the Kickstarter because **** us.  

Yes, I am bitter, why do you ask?

That said, I hope the game is successful and it's comes out good.  I may buy it after it releases, assuming it's good and assuming they do a Linux version, but only after the game is physically available on Linux.  They'll never get my money in advance ever again, not for any project.

Why don't you just choose  a proper OS that is interoperable...like Windows   :biggrin:

I hope this was a joke, because if it's not... it seriously undermines my belief that people really do know what is going on and just don't know how to fix it. The alternative is that they're not smart enough to understand... at all.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I also didn't enjoy D:OS (backed it) so won't back this one. Really hard to understand why they need Kickstarter again if they claim D:OS was so successful. I listened to their CEO GDC talk and from what I saw it was clear they were doing well (or at least that's the impression I got). I get it, Kickstarter is marketing and stuff, but meh, don't want to back another lackluster game of Larian. 

I will definitely NOT back this as I still haven't been able to play the copy of D:OS promised to me during the Kickstarter and likely won't until about a year and a ****ing half after the game released on Windows and Mac, or who knows, maybe the Linux version will get pushed back yet again even further and won't even release until after the console versions which weren't even part of the Kickstarter because **** us.  

That said, I hope the game is successful and it's comes out good.  I may buy it after it releases, assuming it's good and assuming they do a Linux version, but only after the game is physically available on Linux.  They'll never get my money in advance ever again, not for any project.

I don't understand why this would take them so long. Steam OS even gives them a platform target. Not only that, if it's been compiled for OSX, then the OpenGL interface should already be handled.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I was pretty lukewarm about D:OS first up, played the first act and thought I'd seen enough. Then a year later I started up a co-op playthrough with my sister and ended up loving it, so I'm definitely in again. I guess there's something to be said about playing something the way it was intended, though I suppose it can be seen as a fault with the developer that they tried to have a bob each way and couldn't really pull it off.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I don't understand why this would take them so long. Steam OS even gives them a platform target. Not only that, if it's been compiled for OSX, then the OpenGL interface should already be handled.

According to Larian, it had to do with middleware of some sort.  I don't know anything more specific than that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

saintignucius.jpg

At any rate I agree. It's shameful that they haven't provided Linux support for this, and you shouldn't have to use Wine over a year later.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm somewhat on the fence, though I enjoyed D:OS there were a lot of promised features that were not implemented in the end. I was fully expecting these to be added in a patch or the enhanced edition, but they weren't. I may simply pledge at the lowest amount and treat it as a pre-order.

Yeah, I found the feature list of the EE a bit lacklustre: full voice over (I'd rather not, thanks), controller support I kinda liked (my gf won't play with kb+mouse) but then not being able to use a kb+mouse AND a controller in split screen killed that for me too :(

According to Larian, it had to do with middleware of some sort.  I don't know anything more specific than that.

As I see it they made a newbie mistake when it comes to cross-platform-development by trying to cut corners by developing purely for Windows and "porting later" (this pretty much never works out well) and the Linux backers pay the price. Quite simply they created (or, more likely, since there appears to be a Mac version, bought) some library without bothering to check whether it supports Linux, it quite obviously did not (or maybe there simply was no alternative for Linux, but they decided to roll with it anyway because: deadlines. I hope this is not the case because it'd show quite a bit of disregard for the Linux users). If they'd have done cross-platform development the proper way (= simultaneously) they would have learned about this early in their development cycle (before using said library all over the place) and would have been able to adjust accordingly. Now this all sounds deceptively simple from the sidelines, doing parallel development right is *hard*.

So while I can understand their situation there are two things that majorly annoy me about this:

- they're not owning up to it (they messed up, admit it already), instead hiding it behind meaningless terms (middleware is so generic a term it's not even funny. If you don't at least define what the front- and back-end are then it's effectively meaningless. Disclaimer: I'm a middleware developer, though nothing that has to do with Larian's middleware or anything related to videogames, really)

- they are not releasing the EE (or a Linux beta thereof) before their next KS launches

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

@KaineParker - That is an impressive Richard Stallman picture.

5fEuORU.jpg

Aren't they all?

• Like 2

Of course the Steam machines have not been released either, so there's seriously nothing different about making it Linux OS now or then from that perspective.

Also Larian isn't the only with flawed inplentations around this. GOG initially didn't want to host D:OS till they got Galaxy ready... much much later. They eventually backed down on that though, fortunately, since Galaxy got further delayed too.

If only everything ran perfect all the time.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

this thread reminds me that my old card has expired almost 2 months ago and i have yet to activate the new

-Teknoman2-