Dragon Age: Inquisition vs. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

ktchong

If you could choose only one, would you choose Dragon Age: Inquisition or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. If you could choose only one, which would you choose to buy and play?

• Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

If I were a betting man, it'd be The Witcher 3, but I'm not.Dragon Age: Origins is a modern classic for me, but Dragon Age 2 is something of the lazy underachiever of the RPG world. Could have been good, but didn't put forth the effort required, taking its own success as too assured.Both Witcher games are very good. So there is a consistent quality that makes it more reliable than Dragon Age.

I don't think "lazy" is quite right. Greedy, desperate or arrogant I can take, since it's obvious those three were motivators at different kevels of the organization (I love how they showed Laidlaw to face that project and then promoted him for taking one for the team after the furore died down...). Now, they've pretty much told us where it all went wrong, so I'm confident that they won't make the same mistakes again. However, due to the repeated changes in the release date, I am worried about other issues...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No, that is beside the point...

What's beside the point?

you can't generalize all games are the same, cannot say this game is created for all audiences

Who did? I was talking about RPGs [Tombraider was a tangent example, and even I mentioned that it wasn't an RPG... but it was a prime reverse example of a game with a protagonist female, and one that was made for anyone interested in it.]

... FPS players don't like RTS for example, even though FPS players can buy and play them but RTS games are not created for FPS players

Says who? I am an FPS player that buys RTSs. Games are built to deliver experiences ~to whomever is capable of appreciating them. The unfortunate problems comes when a developer decides to design a product that delivers a thinly spread experience carefully crafted within the tollerances of just about everyone... that way they can make many times the sales, but invariabley produce crap that only just passable... by design. For instance making a game that plays like a shooter but is hamstrung as a shooter by vestigial RPG mechanics that inhibit shooting; while being a shallow RPG because of the need to ensure that the players get to shoot everything... It's trasnsparent.

You cannot say "the lack of ability to pretend to like apple pie in you making you are unable to eat it", you just don't like apple pie, and apple pie is not created for you, even though you may eat apple pie, it just you are able to buy and eat it, doesn't meant that apple pie is created for you, it is created for apple pie lovers

So you can't defend your premise because somethings are created for the one who like or want those things

Of course I can, but I wasn't; because I was only talking about RPGs. This is called Genre ~and it extends to mechanics, pacing, and format. There are great games that are crap RPGs because they try to mix genre... but I was only speaking of RPGs ~specifically Witcher, and you said it was made only for men, which is nuts IMO; undefendable. But you could make the claim that it's not made with 'women who cannot identify with anything but other women' in mind; that's plausible... and a bit sad, because they miss out on a hell of a lot in the world.

If you played RTS, do you only try the Amazon army? (That includes the Sisterhood in Warhammer40k).

Even movies are created for certain audiences, surely Mickey Mouse is not for 40 years old, but 40 years old can enjoy it, isn't it?

Star Wars is actually for kids, but funnily old peoples love it

You have it wrong... Those cartoons used to be played only in theaters... meaning the adults took their kids to see them; so if you look carefully, many cartoons are of split level humor, with one aspect entertaining the kids, and another aspect wholly over their heads (usually), entertaining the parents... and that's just the ones for the kids. You may not realize this, but we only have the cartoons that the corporate and government nannies haven't realized are risque or offensive... Many of those cartoons even employed derogitory humor, and that's not for everyone's kids.

Even cartoons as recent as the 90's did this; and even now, as those in position notice or get told the joke, cartoons like Animaniacs are getting censored for having just that split level humor I mentioned; or not even veiled...

I figured Animaniacs would be better accepted than links to Disney Propagana films, but they are on Youtube along with many, many others that include Disney characters and WarnerBrothers, and clearly aimed at adults.

Star Wars is a Space Opera... The kids like the aliens and spaceships, but that's not all there is to the movie.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 2

Yet DA2 is still better than either Twitcher.

LOL

EPIC POST

LOL

Cassandra is only ~beautiful~ one.

She and the scribe lady are the top ladies in the game so far, for me. 

Manjaw Schwarzenegger and Scribe "Benign Melanoma" Lady isn't what I would call "hot". They won't get my money.

All the women that have been announced as romances in Dragon Age: Inquisition look ugly so I won't play the game.

Funny thing is, good chance he's serious.

Why wouldn't I be?

Because that's a ridiculously ridiculous reason, only slightly better than "can I kill all the women/gay party members?".

• Like 2

All the women that have been announced as romances in Dragon Age: Inquisition look ugly so I won't play the game.

Funny thing is, good chance he's serious.

Why wouldn't I be?

Because that's a ridiculously ridiculous reason, only slightly better than "can I kill all the women/gay party members?".

I think it's a pretty valid reason not to buy a game. No attractive characters? Then I won't buy your game.

I dunno if the 'not enough time' argument holds true. How many years did those games take to complete and how many more before something comperable comes along. There is enough time. Initially there would be competition i suppose, but DA looks like the underdog at least as far as graphics and quality of production goes.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will be released on November 18, 2014, in North America, and November 21, 2014 in EU.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be released on March 24, 2015, four months after Dragon Age: Inquisition.

We will see a lot of denials, but the two games are direct competitions.  Both are the third installments in the series.  Both belong to the same genre, i.e., medieval fantasy open-world sword-and-sorcery RPG with a strong focus on storytelling and characters.  Both have very similar gameplay and execution, (i.e., third-person camera view, real-time tactical action combat with pause, dialogue choices that impact stories and characters, cinematic dialogues and dynamic cuts, etc.) Both will be released in the same time frame within a few months.  Both are in the same generation so they are comparable in terms of  technology and graphics.

Most importantly, both games will require intensive time investment.  Supposedly either one will consume over a hundred hours to complete.  Most adults will have the time to dedicate to only one of the two - unless someone has no job, no school, no family, and no life; then he can certainly sit in his parents' basement and play video games all days.  Otherwise, adults will have to prioritize and choose, and one has to come before the other  That is why the two games are competitions. 

Let say you can choose one and only one.  Which would you choose? Explain your choice.

Even if you say you will buy both, you must prefer one over the other.  So choose.

I'll buy The Witcher 3 because i have the feeling that DA:I is trying too hard to keep the hype up and will fail

they're trying to cather to too much people,pandering is too high,come on adding the qunari companion as 'romance'.putting many bisexual options,when we all know what the romances are going to be:overly glorified cheesy dialogue exchanges culminating to a pathetic dry hump because bioware is too prude to write a tasteful romance like in TW and TW;2

and the story will be a plot device 'you're the chosen one' clichè

dialogue options to ME3 autodialogue style with choices with little or no impact

even the 'action' and 'RPG' mode choice in ME3 was available but had little impact,since 40-50 % of your lines were told without a dialogue choice

the RPG mode and Action mode in DA:I will be like ME3's 'choice'

with gameplay Hack and Slash and badly ripped skyrim gameplay elements

Day one DLC 

cut content that will be sold as extra content after the game will be complete

i fear the worst in their forums,the situation will be,well,disgusting to put it lightly

CD Project has always treated his customers fairly,while EAware has pissed all over their fans and now they're trying to look nice.i will never forget what they have done.

Edited by DarthDeven

My problem with bissexual characters is the same I had with Mass Effect.

I really like to talk with my companions and really flesh them out as much as possible...

Try and do that in Mass Effect 3.

Like, I'm only being nice!
Hahaha...

It was actually comic, but made me reload a few times when this happened.

"Ops, can't be too nice here."

My problem with bissexual characters is the same I had with Mass Effect.

I really like to talk with my companions and really flesh them out as much as possible...

Try and do that in Mass Effect 3.

Like, I'm only being nice!

Hahaha...

It was actually comic, but made me reload a few times when this happened.

"Ops, can't be too nice here."

I think this isn't a problem with bisexual characters so much as a limitation in the conceptualization of romances in general (ie, that the romance becomes the default way (sometimes only way) to interact with the character - its not really a problem isolated to Mass Effect either, its been a problem with most of Bioware's romances)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

But it's strange 'cause bissexual characters rarelly show they're this way until something snaps.
When the character is gay or straight this is actually pretty straight foward, so you know that if you say "I'll always be with you" you mean something different than saying that to a friend.

Like, saying that to Garrus is ok, but saying that to Kaidan, isn't.

The weird part is that if you're not nice, they actually behave like bros. But be nice, something snaps and they turn in to another person just to be with you.

I agree that this is actually a bigger problem with writing than the sexuality itself, but is weird, because Kaidan (For example) is not a romance in ME1 and 2, and actually behave itself like a totally straight guy, until ME3 when he shows that he is interested in your character. That feels really weird. 

If he was gay all along, ok. But the problem is that bissexual characters are written like straight until they snap.

The weird part about this is if you roleplay as a friend, being nice and all, all of the sudden your character start to flirting, and it feels so out of character.

Edited by RodWarrior

It's definitely not an issue of bisexuality, because the heterosexual Ashley in Mass Effect did that to me.

I have to echo that it seems Bioware romances are treated as the default interactions, because when I finally managed to turn Ashley down, this somehow turned on the Liara romance, and when I turned that one down, it turned Ashley back on. The nuclear option was required.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's definitely not an issue of bisexuality, because the heterosexual Ashley in Mass Effect did that to me.I have to echo that it seems Bioware romances are treated as the default interactions, because when I finally managed to turn Ashley down, this somehow turned on the Liara romance, and when I turned that one down, it turned Ashley back on. The nuclear option was required.

I think they fixed that a bit with me3, but the issue was pretty overwhelming in me1-2.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

But it's strange 'cause bissexual characters rarelly show they're this way until something snaps.

When the character is gay or straight this is actually pretty straight foward, so you know that if you say "I'll always be with you" you mean something different than saying that to a friend.

Like, saying that to Garrus is ok, but saying that to Kaidan, isn't.

The weird part is that if you're not nice, they actually behave like bros. But be nice, something snaps and they turn in to another person just to be with you.

I agree that this is actually a bigger problem with writing than the sexuality itself, but is weird, because Kaidan (For example) is not a romance in ME1 and 2, and actually behave itself like a totally straight guy, until ME3 when he shows that he is interested in your character. That feels really weird. 

If he was gay all along, ok. But the problem is that bissexual characters are written like straight until they snap.

The weird part about this is if you roleplay as a friend, being nice and all, all of the sudden your character start to flirting, and it feels so out of character.

that's why i didn't like much some of the characters in ME3,it's like they wanted you to flirt with a man or a woman even if you pick the 'nice' option because you wanted to be friends but not being a jerk,i have no problem with bisexuals or gay but that was ridicolous,there's not even a neutral option, it's stupid

Kaidan suddenly being bisexual when he was heterosexual in ME1\ME2,at least in ME1 there was the options to express what you wanted like these options confronting Liara

1. 'i really like you'
  2. 'i like you but i just want to be friends'
  3. 'what were you thinking? i don't even like you'

While instead Ashley you had to pick a total opposite dialogue choice to flirt with her and start up the romance

but in ME3

for example Steve Cortez,i met him in the bar after calming him and after a few dialogue lines pops up the dialogue wheel 2 options only

1. 'i think i'll do the girls'  
  2. 'why not watch me?'

even if was already locked in with Tali he flirted with him,so i reloaded and i chose the opposite option but was quite rude,so you can't turn down someone in ME3 without being a jerk

• Like 1

It's definitely not an issue of bisexuality, because the heterosexual Ashley in Mass Effect did that to me.

I have to echo that it seems Bioware romances are treated as the default interactions, because when I finally managed to turn Ashley down, this somehow turned on the Liara romance, and when I turned that one down, it turned Ashley back on. The nuclear option was required.

Yeah, I understand that.

But Ashley actually seens interested in Shepard from the start.

I mean, Kaidan, WTF?

The problem I have with bissexual characters is that they are not written this way. They are written as gay or straight, but when it comes to romance your character can be of either sex, and that is totally weird.

I mean, if the character shows interest in both from the start, ok. But it's actually "Hey, i'm totally straight/gay. Unless you, the protagonist of the same/opposite sex as me wish to romance me. In that case, I'm bissexual."

Edited by RodWarrior

Yeah, I understand that.

But Ashley actually seens interested in Shepard from the start.

I mean, Kaidan, WTF?

The problem I have with bissexual characters is that they are not written this way. They are written as gay or straight, but when it comes to romance your character can be of either sex, and that is totally weird.

I mean, if the character shows interest in both from the start, ok. But it's actually "Hey, i'm totally straight/gay. Unless you, the protagonist of the same/opposite sex as me wish to romance me. In that case, I'm bissexual.

The one thing I hate with the Mass Effect romances is that most of them are impossible to get if you play renegade, the only way to romance people(except Jack and Miranda if I remember correctly) is to act nice to them and kiss their asses. They should have done the opposite, only **** Shepard get to romance people. Would have been more realistic. Also I hate paragon since it's basicly Luke Skywalker super hero that manages to save everyone all the time while at the same time helping everyone you see with menial tasks.

Edited by Rance

Also, the romances in The Witcher aren't tasteful -- They are awful. CDProjekt should just steer focus towards what they do best like Obsidian. I don't get the notion of why a love story has to be implemented into almost any game. I'm a sucker for a good one if any but in regards to BioWare, as an example, it feels more or less like they've become token and as a result cheesy in the execution.

I think it's a pretty valid reason not to buy a game. No attractive characters? Then I won't buy your game.

We both know it's because of the "romance" angle -- What if there hypothetically weren't any romances?

If there weren't any romances I wouldn't care. The game would probably be better since they could focus their writing on stuff that actually matter and not pointless harem romances that are even worse than some of the worst romance anime out there.

We both know it's because of the "romance" angle -- What if there hypothetically weren't any romances?

If there weren't any romances I wouldn't care. The game would probably be better since they could focus their writing on stuff that actually matter and not pointless harem romances that are even worse than some of the worst romance anime out there.

You wouldn't care that there were characters you might not find a frictional attractions towards? Specify.

All games won't adhere to every individual's personal appeal -- My comment is merely question as to why attractive characters are a big factor for you.

Edited by TheChris92