RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Gears of War: Reckoning coming.

Given it's Epic Baltimore it's as likely to be

Bulletstorm: Life on the Killing Streets or

Gears of The Wire

And given 38s apparent business acumen I'd suggest 'Unreal Reckoning' would be more appropriate.

Wonder if we could make a joke about "reckoning" part, considering the current situation of the world economy. If the investors and the VPs managed to get away from the mess without a scratch, leaving Schilling and RI taxpayers, it will be yet another "prize" for the financial private sectors. 38 Studios' Downfall: The Gamasutra Report

At least, good to know the ex-employees got their jobs.

Too many Zombie games man. This one will not have any chance.

It is about a Zombie SURVIVAL. This is not pew pew shootan Zombies. It is how you manage your group and survive effectively (or not) in a zombie setting. Seriously, watch the vid.

Not to ruin the mood, but flash games like that have existed for years. Granted, none of them were RPGs.

For the ten people that played the first game.

Those are some bad looking character models, and I mean bad.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://www.kickstart...ie-survival-rpg

Dead State Kickstarter now LIVE. Already backing this. <3

Nice to find someone has already posted about this. ;)

Too many Zombie games man. This one will not have any chance.

It is about a Zombie SURVIVAL. This is not pew pew shootan Zombies. It is how you manage your group and survive effectively (or not) in a zombie setting. Seriously, watch the vid.

Not to ruin the mood, but flash games like that have existed for years. Granted, none of them were RPGs.

? Have you watched the video or explanations about the game on the official sites/forum?
-A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character

Just pointed out that there are games like Dead State out there, and the list of features doesn't mean much, since flash games don't tend to have a lot in the way of budget, but hey, jump in and defend the poor little bullied game. Because if I disagree with a fan, then obviously I must not look forward to i and want it to fail. Naturally.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2?acomplete=rebuild+2

Just pointed out that there are games like Dead State out there, and the list of features doesn't mean much, since flash games don't tend to have a lot in the way of budget, but hey, jump in and defend the poor little bullied game. Because if I disagree with a fan, then obviously I must not look forward to i and want it to fail. Naturally.

http://www.kongregat...plete=rebuild+2

The main attraction for me is Mitsoda's writing. The design sounds good on paper, but there's plenty of time to screw it up in execution.

The main attraction for me is Mitsoda's writing.

Same here...as far as my understanding goes, the role-playing focus on managing/interacting with people in a constantly stressful situation reminds me of the canned Aliens RPG. I think the solid concept about role-playing in the given setting and the turn-based combat are enough to attract some RPG fans but, if some people regard it as a yet another zombie game even after watching/reading some info, then, I don't think it is a game for them in the first place. After all, it's an investment, which depends on individual sense of value.

For some people interested, here is a new interview with Brian and Annie at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Just Survive: Dead State Interview

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Latest Humble Bundle just added Braid, Lone Survivor, and Super Meat Boy. Lone Survivor is probably the only one of those that's new to Humble Bundle. Braid practically ends up on every other one.

That's what I was waiting for, anyway. Lone Survivor and Superbrothers are the only games I don't have, but this it seems like a good deal for me now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/07/hitman-absolution-game-director-apologises-for-controversial-trailer/

Well, not apologizing for it just being rather uninspiring and/or just plain bad, just apologizing for offending people by showing women getting offed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not seeing Dragon Age similarities besides, maybe?, the color palette. Looks like standard-ish MMO combat, and has a bit of an unpolished feel with the floating badly positioned loot. I like that it has a minimalistic UI though, I don't really like the look of most MMOs UI, cluttered and ugly. Of course, I don't play them, so there's probably a reason they are that way :p

Larian made it on Machinima

It seems after they went self-publishing route, they're getting more (and positive) attention from mainstream gaming press than ever.

OMFGturnbasedwants!

Oh, and the level editor details he mentioned sounded cool too.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Seems we are about to witness the fall of another console; sad though, I've been with Nintendo since Iv'e started gaming. But with the economic situation and as it is 2013 may be the worst year of gaming in recent history.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Seems we are about to witness the fall of another console; sad though, I've been with Nintendo since Iv'e started gaming. But with the economic situation and as it is 2013 may be the worst year of gaming in recent history.

I really doubt that the WiiU will fail. Nintendo has had a terrible track record with third party developers for a long time, and yet they always find an audience for their consoles. They rely heavily on Nintendo developed software for the most part. They also target a completely different demographic compared to Sony and Microsoft.

The Wii has a fairly weak stable of games considering its time in existence, yet it still sold like hotcakes.

I really doubt that the WiiU will fail. Nintendo has had a terrible track record with third party developers for a long time, and yet they always find an audience for their consoles. They rely heavily on Nintendo developed software for the most part. They also target a completely different demographic compared to Sony and Microsoft.

The Wii has a fairly weak stable of games considering its time in existence, yet it still sold like hotcakes.

I don't doubt that what you say its true; in fact, Nintendo's plan relies on the fact that they still retain a niche segment of the market that own's a Wii. Problem is that they had a very long hiatus with the Wii and third party developers putting them behind their competition. In fact, a lot of their games are just making up for the fact that people who only own a Wii have completely missed the last 3 years of gaming. So Nintendo may be overstating their fanbase; most people own Wii as a secondary console, so they probably won't jump at the chance of playing a game that they already own for their PS3/Xbox just because now they can play it with a miniscreen.

Nintendo has backed itself into a corner by continuing their philosophy, now it seems that they want to branch out but it may be a little too late. They are launching a console without any exclusive AAA game to back it up, aside from the fact that their product only appeals to a niche clientele. I'm afraid that this will be Nintendo's Dreamcast.

village_idiot.gif