The Royal Wedding...tomorrow

BruceVC

I remember when Charles and Diana got hitched and it was SUCH a big deal in the US. I was an early teen then or something. I didn't care then, I care even less now. I'll never understand the fascination with such. It's a wedding, not Disney animation.

...marriage and then 15 years later, possible Royal Divorce. hardeharhar.

I didn't care when Brad and Angelina got together either (that's kinda like "royalty" in US terms - Hollywood couples, meh). Not like any of them are my friends. :disguise:

Nah, you cant really compare US  celebrity culture weddings with the UK monarchy weddings but I  know what you mean :)  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^ Well of course it's not the same. That's why I said "kinda." It's what the US has, is all.

Point is I don't get that level of fascination with other people's lives. If I'd been around during Kennedy, for example, I wouldn't have cared what the 1st lady wore and what she was doing. But whatever - we all have our irrational fascinations. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I honestly couldn't care less about it, but my mom is traveling and so she's making me record it for her (because she doesn't know how to work her DVR...)

Honestly, I don't get why people care, at all.  But then, I don't care about any sort of celebrity culture, and that's basically what the royals are at this point.

Royal marriage used to mean something. Either a shift of power internally for the house of the spouse or external coalition with the spouses country. Why is Queen Elizabeth allowing her grandkids to marry without any political gain is disturbing.

Maybe because there isn’t any more of that kind of political wrangling anymore? There are still some royals around, true, but none of them (the European ones anyway) are the same monarchies as they were in the 19th century and alliances aren’t made by marriage anymore.

Harry is like sixth in line for the throne anyway, and I didn’t take you for the monarchist type.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 2

Those horses must be so annoyed having to trot like that

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Match Thread Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I don't even understand why the German news are full with this :(
I do not care about it. I wish them all the best in the world but I think it's absolutely not necessary that every German news portal
has about 3 to 5 articles (some even more) about the upcoming marriage.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Who's Thanos marrying?

His glove.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

loved it, stayed up all night to watch, sunniest day in England I've ever seen

best bits were the dress, the cello player, and the armored horsemen following the carriage, amazing

Now this is a  man who appreciates the value of pageantry and ceremony

Good on you sir !!!   :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Who's Thanos marrying?

His glove.

But he really wants to marry Death.  She won't give him the time of day, so right hand it is...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I knew I was going to get that wrong if going from memory.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man