[POTD Difficulty] Launch NOT tuned discussion thread

I have no idea how it made it from PoE1 without getting nerfed. 

Maybe they finally decided they would rather let us have fun than "balance" everything? I'm having a lot more fun in Deadfire than I did in PoE 1 and part of the reason is how grossly overpowered you can become. 

If that's the only way you can have fun you should just play on easy instead of want the rest of the player base punished because your ego doesn't allow it.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 1

Sawyer finally addressed this officially

The level scaling is fixed in the beta patch

In regards to veteran and POTD difficulty’s he admired they are currently FKD.

Unfortunately he said it is going to take a while to fix this.

He did not specify a time fram so o could be weeks or even months.

I’m pretty annoyed because I had to quit my last POTD playthrough because it was way to easy. Looks like it’s not getting fixed for my guess is around 3 to 5 weeks

Aahhhhh so sad cause the game is not payable imo in its current state

Edited by master guardian

Stop with that "unplayable" bull**** already... I finished poe 1 on potd with party, solo and ultimate run... I see no true difference in "difficulty" versus poe 1, both games were very easy once you learned game mechanics, because poe 2 have easier mechanics you just learn it instantly, there is no learning curve but that's about it. Sure Sawyer wanna tune this and this is very good but I feel you will all end up disappointed if you expect any challenge. If you got any brain and gonna min/max meta builds you will faceroll everything no matter how he tunes it, just like we did in poe 1. 

PoE is just easy game, deal with it. PoE 1 was equally easy and if you think otherwise u were just bad at the game. 

Maybe try to solo poe 2 in its current state using niche non min/maxed rpg build instead of throwing ****? I'm srsly getting annoyed already as you got to be XXX person saying same **** "I'm sad panda cause game is easy". I bet you copy pasted some build from "Most OP char builds that survived from beta" and now you're disappointed huh? 

Edited by Phyriel

Good, i hope PotD will take awhile.

Hopefully not because they're going to shelve it for "more important stuff" (especially because it was revealed almost a third, 29%, of the playerbase is/has/will play PotD, so it's not for as little of a group of people as the ignorant casuals like to convince everyone) but because they're going to take it seriously, do it properly.

Where the awesome per encounter combat and multiclassing doesn't make it easy even with some balancing, still.

Where they don't/won't get lazy and end up only balancing the first half of the game, with the second half going back to an OP rolfstomp once you get some levels, abilities and gear under your belt, like PoE 1 and most other games.

Where it really is like the 5th difficulty?

I personally expected 1 - 3 months for it post release and am holding off buying the game until then.

I don't mind it taking 3 - 6 months if it has to - i'm not going anywhere and neither is it. As long as it means better balance/quality.

But if it's still poorly balanced when they do announce it's done - then i'd be pissed.

Will be watching the forums keenly until then and especially then.

Until then i guess i'll have to move on to other things - since Obsidian apparently didn't feel it important enough to balance the game before releasing it, obviously counting on the hype and people who need to play day 1.

Rimworld 1.0 actual release is apparently coming up in the next month or 2, should be a good distraction until then.  :)

Edited by whiskiz
  • Like 1

So if this is helpful for anyone

I just spoke to one of the Lead designers on PM

There most current high priority now that hey have addressed the first patch is fixing veteran and POTD

He said the whole development team is working on it as we speak and it is a big issue.

I asked for an estimated time frame for the fix but he said he is not allowed to give out timeframe estimates without approval from senior management. 

I personally think it will be fixed in around two weeks, hopefully it will be in patch beta earlier

After speaking to him I am definatley holding of playing the game until then. 

My advice to others would be to wait as well. There is no point in playing deadfire without any sense of fulfillment, accomplishment or reward. This is currently the situation unfortunately.

• Like 2

I don't mind a lower difficulty for my first playthrough.  I was going to play Deadfire on Veteran, first.  Now I'll just play on POTD, instead.

I'll tryhard on my second playthrough.  Entirely custom character, 100% optimized builds for everyone, etc.

First playthrough, my character will definitely be optimized, but that's it.

I'm still waiting for the first patch, though.  Too many bugs, at the moment.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

My advice to others would be to wait as well. There is no point in playing deadfire without any sense of fulfillment, accomplishment or reward. This is currently the situation unfortunately.

I want to wait for that, but if they fix the companions in the next patch I'll be tempted to start a playthrough.

You are not the only one dying to play. :sweat:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I want to wait for that, but if they fix the companions in the next patch I'll be tempted to start a playthrough.

trust me dont do it untill they fix the difficulty

Man I played on POTD for 30 hours and killed every bounty without even getting scratched.

Not fun at all

Edited by master guardian

Yes, I have an idea of what you are talking about. I played on Veteran for some time. I just rushed to get the companions and see what their dispositions and unique class abilities are. I barely thought of any strategies in combat and I won most battles easily.

Only when I didn't pay much attention or when I fought higher level enemies somebody died. And the only time the party was wiped out was when I tried to kill some Eothasians to drop Xoti's opinion and they were stronger than my team.

sign.jpg

Yeah have to concur, PotD was semi-challenging in the early levels. Then once you hit about level 10, get a couple of gold items and around power level 4-5, you just steamroll everything with basic AI turned on. Hell even AI turned off entirely and auto-attacks takes care of 50% of encounters...

Edited by Koth

Yeah, but dont don't focus too much on difficulty. It's not a big deal for the vast majority of players. People will never be satisfied as they will eventually get the hang of the new difficulty level.

It's cool to work on but please don't make it a focus of attention.

If you want a harder game you can turn on Trial of Iron POTD Expert Mode with no Berath's Blessing.

Although I hope they eventually add something like Berath's Curses that afflict your Char in a negative way. Like how the Skulls affect Halo games. For example the Famine skull did this "Effect: Weapons dropped by AI have half the ammo they normally would" for the whole campaign.

Berath's Curses could have: (already in-game effects)
Curse of Darkness: ??
Curse of Morality: ??
Curse of Atrophy: -10 Might
Curse of Nightmares: -2 Resolve When Damaged for 30 Seconds (Stacks)
Curse of Blackened Sight: Permanently Blinded (Blinded characters suffer -5 Perception, are considered Flanked, -10 Accuracy, and the distance of all ranged attacks is halved.)

Edited by syphonhail

POTD isn't hard enough for you? Even with level scaling? Yikes...

Erm, you do know they haven't actually balanced PotD yet right, that it's getting done post release.

So yeah.

I expect the level scaling (only up) to handle all my concerns about difficulty. PotD difficult for the first half or so of the game is perfect -- I wouldn't want it any more difficult than that. But overleveling removed the difficulty. Using the IE mod to change the XP needed for level ups in PoE 1 solved that issue there. I expect the level scaling to solve the issue here.

I dont think level scaling alone will do it.

level scaling only increases attributes as far as im aware - while you're lvl 10 and say fighting lvl 6 things scaled to lvl 10, you'll still have lvl 10 gear, abilities and passives, while the enemy only has improved base stats..... 
Edited by whiskiz

There most current high priority now that hey have addressed the first patch is fixing veteran and POTD

Interesting, this is the first time I've seen Veteran mentioned. People are mostly complaining about PotD :) Which basically means there's no point in playing above Classic atm, as both Veteran and PotD will be rebalanced in the future...

If you want a harder game you can turn on Trial of Iron POTD Expert Mode with no Berath's Blessing.

Although I hope they eventually add something like Berath's Curses that afflict your Char in a negative way. Like how the Skulls affect Halo games. For example the Famine skull did this "Effect: Weapons dropped by AI have half the ammo they normally would" for the whole campaign.

Berath's Curses could have: (already in-game effects)

Curse of Darkness: ??

Curse of Morality: ??

Curse of Atrophy: -10 Might

Curse of Nightmares: -2 Resolve When Damaged for 30 Seconds (Stacks)

Curse of Blackened Sight: Permanently Blinded (Blinded characters suffer -5 Perception, are considered Flanked, -10 Accuracy, and the distance of all ranged attacks is halved.)

I like the idea but not the execution. The last thing I want to do is nerf my party. I'd rather go with macro nerfs like -50% gold -30% xp or something. Or monster buffs like +10 enemy stats or +2 enemy armor rating. Or straight up copy stuff from SCS: +500% hp to dragons, random encounters include high level monsters like fampyrs (tough to implement tho), enemies use high level abilities (pirate wizard will cast meteor shower). Stuff like that.

I personally doubt that companions will be fully fixed with the next patch. While the overflow of reputation points should minimise the issue, there are also problems with conversations being tagged. Just yesterday I got two positive responses from Pallegina which made no sense whatsoever.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99004-collective-summary-of-all-the-glaring-bugs-in-the-relationship-system/?p=2022356

Those will need a thorough attention.

You show me one official response from anyone at obsidian on this forum stating they are fixing both POTD being broken and level scaling not working

You can’t

Cause there is none

Watch the twitch stream Q+A they did yesterday. 

They CONFIRMED they are BOTH fixing POTD (longer project) and LEVEL SCALING separately (patching this week).  

Watch it.

Cause they said it.

• Like 1

You show me one official response from anyone at obsidian on this forum stating they are fixing both POTD being broken and level scaling not working

You can’t

Cause there is none

Watch the twitch stream Q+A they did yesterday. 

They CONFIRMED they are BOTH fixing POTD (longer project) and LEVEL SCALING separately (patching this week).  

Watch it.

Cause they said it.

I posted that before the twitch feed

Edited by Amentep
Edited namecalling