Politics Thread: 13 Ghosts

Blarghagh

Gl hf USA with that new tax bill that the Senate wasn't allowed to read. Good to know the Republicans care enough about their constituents to know what they put through instead of just voting through whatever bullhonkey out of tribalism. :lol:

Well, at least we can finally put the whole "Republicans care about the deficit" nonsense to rest...and then the "Republicans care about states' rights" as well when the FCC royally screws up the internet and makes it so states can't do anything about it. Just crappy excuses for obstructionism when it suits them, nothing more.

Guys this is just another terrible and unnecessary decision....I cant believe anyone would choose Trump over Obama if you  could somehow swap them ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So Flynn is going to flip on Trump now?

No, but the lying in the media already began:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/12/02/abc-suspends-brian-ross-four-weeks-without-pay/

Yeah, NBC derped up hard... They even got slammed by liberal media. Actually, it's also not the first time that particular journalist screwed up.

Edited by smjjames

Well it can keep increasing relativistically as long as other economies write themselves money to keep up, which they will have to do if they are weaker currencies that hold their value off of another one.

They can also keep increasing non-relativistically as long as our population keeps growing.

I mean, Marco Rubio (a Republican senator) revealed a few days ago that the end-game of increasing the deficit was so that they can cut medicare and social security. 

Uhh... source? Because that sounds suspiciously like some Cobra Commander level bull****.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-gop-social-security-20171130-story.html

I do not believe those were the exact words, but that seems about right.

Yeah, definitely not his exact words, but I mean, that's basically what he's saying. He also had some comments about how taxes can't be used to reduce the deficit...at which point I started wondering what the heck are taxes supposed to be used for in the first place if not for running/paying for our government. Our overall debt is more than just the federal government's, but I'm pretty sure that's a pretty big part of it. But yeah, make the deficit bad enough and they'll have their excuse for cutting benefits, overlooking the fact that they helped put us into this situation.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

24273714_10155229887142894_8247593453282

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That analogy is muddled somewhat because with the Internet, it's possible to have pretty much every album produced as a download, whether as a torrent from you-know-where (obligatory disclaimer: Obsidian does not endorse torrenting from you-know-where and I'm not encouraging anybody to) or legitly purchased.

Not quite sure that analogy works

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's one of the worst analogies I've seen.

Meh, this is good chance to decentralize the internet from the US. As one would say, your lose is our gain.

The internet doesn't work via decentralization, and nor what comes after. Repealing the modern web, is not a great way to encourage the development of even greener pastures.

Not quite sure that analogy works
It really doesn't

Agreed, since that's not how net neutrality works.

How does it work then?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The analogy is stupid because the ISPs aren't a record store. I've already purchased the product, which is access to a hypothetical store that lets me listen to almost every record ever if we're going with the record analogy. The demise of net neutrality means I get steered into whatever the music store wants me to listen to, with other music either requiring me to pay more to listen to it as well as the store approved music or deal with delays and inconveniences for my unconventional choice. You'd have to be stupid or a bootlicker to think this is a good idea.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Well that and it assumes you'd think that was the 'stupidest' law ever.  Would also be better if it was comparing it to the store selling things by record label and that the store is also a record label as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The abolishment of net neutrality...

Hm

Wonder how much AT&T will charge the Dems or Repubs for having the other one blocked. Oh, maybe they’ll auction that!

The freer the market, the freer the people, right?

Then again, Hayek was never too fond of democracy either...

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Not on iPad, not easily anyways.......

Huh, it's the standard youtube hover cursor over and press the "captions" button on PC...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

A better analogy would be like a water company service throttling the water pressure so that only so much water comes through the pipes per second, leading to crappy showers and weak faucets, you ask for normal water speed, but the company says nope, you have to pay up for more.

Edited by smjjames

The only near direct analogy would be to a postal service which swaps from a mandate to deliver the mail/ parcels fairly to one where they don't have to offer a level playing field but can solicit better payment for better delivery times from both the sender and the receiver. And where the postal service is usually a monopoly, so there's no actual consumer choice except for which particular type and level of reaming they'd like to receive. You either have monopolies and regulation to stop them ripping people off, or you have no regulation and proper competition. No regulation and monopolies is always a recipe for both a rip off cost and a qualitatively bad service.

We don't have net neutrality here despite most people thinking we do, and it doesn't matter. Here, if skodafone or telescum decided that you had to pay extra to use unchoked netflix- or tried to get money off netflix to prevent being throttled- you can swap to a dozen or so other ISPs within a day; it literally took me 5 minutes to change, though you might need to have a modem mailed to you so a couple of days tops. So instead of having monopolist base plans and monopolist extra costs you get offered proper bonuses for loyalty. Like free netflix equivalents, ironically enough.

• Like 2