Political Ocean's 11

Amentep

Found this checking to see what monuments to Alexander exist http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/macedonia/8576960/Greece-angered-by-Macedonian-statue-of-Alexander-the-Great.html . Funny fuss over a statue

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The vast majority of those confederate statues aren't even artifacts of the Civil War though and were put up for a completely different reason than simply memoralizing the Civil War. So, calling them artifacts is dubious unless you put them in the proper context, which isn't the Civil War.

And to boot most were put up sixty to seventy years after the war ended. And some of them ended up in odd placed. Statues of Jeff Davis & Lee in New Orleans made no sense to me. Neither had any connection to New Orleans. Leave the battlefields and historical site markers and headstones alone IMO. Do what you will with the rest.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

'in context' is 'let the winners decide who is bad or good'. L0L

Can you imagine the convos if the South actually won (they had no real chance)? :p

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

All this GoFundMe stuff sounds so crazy to me. It is so fkd up that you have to rely on other people donating money to you after some nutjob threw bullets at you. That this is even necessary... that's so Murica.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Why did you write "context" like that?

Looks like filter-bypassing to me. Assuming "coon" is actually filtered. Let's see...

Nope, it isn't. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a typo but Volo making a pun. Co(o)ntext, civil war, slavery, and all that.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It was a typo. Volourn is famous for his typing skills.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Volo is just being 1337.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*looks at keyboard* Yep, O is right next to 0. ;)

The high cost of medical care in the US exists regardless of what caused the injury. Roll your car into a ditch and youre still going to get hit in the pocket. :shrugz: The entire system needs to be torn down and rebuilt but that's not going to happen. 

• Like 2

Volo is also the master of sarcasm. So it's ok to wonder if there was a joke and you missed it.

If you see typo's in my posts it's not my fault. Speech to test does not always understand my southern drawl. :lol:  

Edit: See??? it happened again!  :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

OK I suspect a story like this is more of interest to someone like me. But public land access, eminent domain, and "forced easements" is a subject I have a lot of interest in since my property borders a State Wildlife Management Area. Until I built a fence on that border (and once after) I've had to order armed hunters off my property. One was standing in my back yard. So I'm somewhat sypathetic to land owners closing access to public lands. Plus in a litigous society such as ours if one of the hikers is injured the landowner finds themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit. 

It's also worth noting that access to public land via private is more a matter of convenience than necessity. All public land has public access. And it's always (that I'm aware of) geographically continuous. So you can get to any part from any part. Although not always easily and not always by vehicle. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/this-land-is-no-longer-your-land/ar-AAu3Cko?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Some interesting numbers and new labels

-- Bigger picture: The center is not holding. There is much less overlap in the political values of Republicans and Democrats than in the past. In 2004, 49 percent of Americans took a roughly equal number of conservative and liberal positions on a scale based on 10 questions. That was the same percentage as in 1994. Then, three years ago, 38 percent had a mix of liberal and conservative views. Now it’s dropped to 32 percent.

And here's a quiz because those are fun

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

-- Bigger picture: The center is not holding. There is much less overlap in the political values of Republicans and Democrats than in the past. In 2004, 49 percent of Americans took a roughly equal number of conservative and liberal positions on a scale based on 10 questions. That was the same percentage as in 1994. Then, three years ago, 38 percent had a mix of liberal and conservative views. Now it’s dropped to 32 percent.

Exactly zero nuance in that quiz. Some questions both answers are true, others neither is. 

Thomas Sowell

22780204_10155134256127894_8696476074490

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Where is that Spectre1 guy? We've got a cheerleader story in the news.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/campus-anthem-battle-cheerleaders-vs-sheriff-powerful-lawmaker-232611605.html

I think the best line is "Why is a sheriff policing cheerleaders?"  :p

An Atlanta Journal-Constitution article has some further background to KSU that might be worth reading for some further context to this incident (I don't think its paywalled) -

http://politics.blog.myajc.com/2017/10/24/anthem-kneeling-at-ksu-is-only-part-of-the-tale/

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Why did you write "context" like that?"

Looks bad considering the topic, but that was definitely a typo. Not cool.

"Coontext would be right up his alley."

I may be anti SJW but I'm also anti racist. No way would I write that for giggles unless I was trying to rile up some whiny SJW Nazi not when just trying to post 'normally'.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Jesus, you're either Ron Swanson or Leslie Knope.

I dropped out of the quiz when the first question had only two options.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man