Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

Why you don't write such things at work, rather surprised he didn't know that.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The premise is that people are more concerned with diversity than work, so the guy writes a 10-page manifesto on that subject? Okey dokey.

Talk about 1st world problems. Employees at Google get free meals. I don't mean like a lunch here and there. They have gourmet restaurants all over the campuses that serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner to any employees that want it. I'll sit through as many diversity trainings as they want for that perk. :p 

• Like 2

nice maps.  if dirt and rocks could vote, then perhaps trump woulda' managed to win the popular vote.  unfortunately, more o' the people in the US live in urban areas than in the desert south o' salt lake city, or in the appalachians or the rockies... or michigan . go figure.

Hillbillies vote Republican, news at 11

watched ozark and learned hillbilly is a pejorative for redneck.  who knew? 

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:  And all this time I thought it was the other way around.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I read that sentence as "hillbilly is a pejorative for a pejorative."

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The premise is that people are more concerned with diversity than work, so the guy writes a 10-page manifesto on that subject? Okey dokey.

Talk about 1st world problems. Employees at Google get free meals. I don't mean like a lunch here and there. They have gourmet restaurants all over the campuses that serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner to any employees that want it. I'll sit through as many diversity trainings as they want for that perk. :p

We're not even asking you to like it. Does it offend your sensibilities? Just bring a notepad and a pen and doodle. occasionally raising your head to nod and smile. I find meetings the perfect time for me to knock out some thumbnail drawings at work.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

His essay isn't all that bad. Though if he's not high up it is a bit amusing to think he matters (but that is down to their culture). Advocating pair programming, though? Scumbag.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*Oozing sarcasm* Sure, go ahead and privatize and outsource the US military.

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/548004001/

Maybe Hamid Karzai can play the Enrico Chivaldori stand in role in the Hollywood adaptation.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

You're the perfect candidate for the coming Soviet system. Well, except you won't get any gourmet lunches. I'm switching to DuckDuckGo btw, been sick of google politicking for quite some time now.

Edit:

Maybe Hamid Karzai can play the Enrico Chivaldori stand in role in the Hollywood adaptation.

Sounds like an excellent idea to me, let people who want to take the risks, keep the military for the defense of the US. Kind of like the French Foreign Legion. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Nah, the premise is more that the company isn't big on dissenting opinions and honest discussion regarding its overt political agenda, which is kinda evidenced by the fact that he's been fired faster than you can say "politically incorrect".

I guess some people care more about their politics than they do about a free sandwich, who'd a thunk it.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

There are companies that are big on such things?

Luckily Trump says a lot of things. Problem with mercs is what kind of leash do you have them on. Well that and some sweet, sweet corruption - though might be as bad as it is now

There are companies that are big on such things?

Heh, point taken. Still, it's deliciously ironic that they are all for diversity, except where it concerns political sensibilities.

The fallout from this is going to hurt them way more than any manifesto, I think. Wonder if the guy has a legal leg to stand on.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well political sensibilities are ok until they cause an issue amongst the group. Like anything I guess. Probably wouldn't have fired him had it not gone public, if they don't then they catch heat and they figured it would be worse than if they did not.

One man is expendable, after all. Wonder how much it will hurt them, the usual sort are preparing for Free speech jihad but we all know how long those tend to run for.

Should also fire the dude that leaked it, he pushed this into a scope it didn't need to have

His manifesto would be a lot more timely if Google was actually struggling. Companies can tout all the political ideology they want is it doesn't affect their bottom line. Just look at Hobby Lobby. They get to determine what type of birth control their employees have access to. That sounds crazy to me, what kind of person would work under that? But people clearly do, and they continue to attract shoppers.

I have a sneaking suspicion Sharp_One would side with Hobby Lobby on the health care case and against Google on the diversity case. :p

You're the perfect candidate for the coming Soviet system. Well, except you won't get any gourmet lunches. 

Give me gourmet lunches or give me death!

Well political sensibilities are ok until they cause an issue amongst the group. Like anything I guess. Probably wouldn't have fired him had it not gone public, if they don't then they catch heat and they figured it would be worse than if they did not.

One man is expendable, after all. Wonder how much it will hurt them, the usual sort are preparing for Free speech jihad but we all know how long those tend to run for.

Should also fire the dude that leaked it, he pushed this into a scope it didn't need to have

I agree with this. This was a matter that should have been handled internally. He wasn't representing Google by it, he was advocating work environment policies that would be less stiffing to the flow of free thought.

He probably shouldn't have included his personal opinion on things like the wage gap, merely advocated for higher standards off inquiry in hopes that correcting the process helps both the work culture and the grappling with whatever emergent dynamics might be resulting in the world. But demonstrating that a particular position might indeed hold water put him in a position of having a message he wishes a chance to win out, and thus Google felt like they couldn't endorse a particular view. But his situation was forced by all those taking it public. This is the type of whistle blowing you learn is unbeneficial and counter-productive in ethics courses

His manifesto would be a lot more timely if Google was actually struggling. Companies can tout all the political ideology they want is it doesn't affect their bottom line. Just look at Hobby Lobby. They get to determine what type of birth control their employees have access to. That sounds crazy to me, what kind of person would work under that? But people clearly do, and they continue to attract shoppers.

I have a sneaking suspicion Sharp_One would side with Hobby Lobby on the health care case and against Google on the diversity case. :p

No, they don't determine the birth control, just what they'll pay for. The employee is perfectly free to pay for it herself.

Edit:

GOOLAG-500x600.png

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I agree with this. This was a matter that should have been handled internally. He wasn't representing Google by it, he was advocating work environment policies that would be less stiffing to the flow of free thought.

He probably shouldn't have included his personal opinion on things like the wage gap, merely advocated for higher standards off inquiry in hopes that correcting the process helps both the work culture and the grappling with whatever emergent dynamics might be resulting in the world. But demonstrating that a particular position might indeed hold water put him in a position of having a message he wishes a chance to win out, and thus Google felt like they couldn't endorse a particular view. But his situation was forced by all those taking it public. This is the type of whistle blowing you learn is unbeneficial and counter-productive in ethics courses

Then again maybe the manifesto author is a large type **** and this was too good to pass up :lol:

Then again maybe the manifesto author is a large type **** and this was too good to pass up :lol:

I found it rather interesting that the guy almost managed to write the entire document with nice charts, citations and links to make his point in a reasonable fashion. He even makes points everyone who is still somewhat rational would agree on - like the points about quotas and lowered requierments for diversity hires not being a good practice in the long term or that being progressive and open should also mean to allow dissenting viewpoints without supressing them.

Slipped up at the end with the footnotes. Talking about the cultural marxist agenda against the white cis-hetero patriarchy. Got that close to pass as sensible. A pity, maybe next time*.

*Minor disclaimer: Of course that doesn't mean the guy isn't right or that he doesn't have a point, but people who use the term cultural marxism in a serious fashion are on the same level as people who unironically use beta male. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

aaand aparentaly North Korea have nukes....

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

No, they don't determine the birth control, just what they'll pay for. The employee is perfectly free to pay for it herself.

That still sounds incredibly controlling. They are making that decision based solely on a religious belief, I assume. How is that any better than what Google does?

aaand aparantely North Korea have nukes....

And Trump threatens fire and fury. Ah politicians, so much balls but someone else's ass.

https://twitter.com/TreyYingst/status/895004446438170626

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

I found it rather interesting that the guy almost managed to write the entire document with nice charts, citations and links to make his point in a reasonable fashion. He even makes points everyone who is still somewhat rational would agree on - like the points about quotas and lowered requierments for diversity hires not being a good practice in the long term or that being progressive and open should also mean to allow dissenting viewpoints without supressing them.

Slipped up at the end with the footnotes. Talking about the cultural marxist agenda against the white cis-hetero patriarchy. Got that close to pass as sensible. A pity, maybe next time*.

*Minor disclaimer: Of course that doesn't mean the guy isn't right or that he doesn't have a point, but people who use the term cultural marxism in a serious fashion are on the same level as people who unironically use beta male. :p

The notion of cultural marxism does hold some weight though. Consider when people believe that a "pure free market" will really work. The might hold those beliefs under the notion they are operating as a neoliberal, classical capitalist, or libertarian. They've bought into certain ideas but they know nothing of the original mathematical and philosophical arguments that promoted it. The same happens with the ideas behind what gets called cultural marxism. It's not just people recently decrying post-modernism, which cultural marxism has become a synonym for. Go back and listen to Chomsky or David Foster Wallace. It's just now the ideas have been stripped away from their original groundings. You have people discarding objective pursuits because it suggests their ideals might not be true. You have people refusing to consider factors that play against equity, especially if those factors might seem out of their control; Who want most all that is not ideal to be a result of human socialization such that the factors will be solvable through government.

Certainly just name dropping it as if it will get across one's arguments though is entirely amiss and cringe inducing, and is an example of a different problem with how people engage. This guy unfortunately tries to smuggle in an end problem alongside his addressing a process problem, which does nothing to invite people of vary views to step into a realm of engagement that implores a higher degree or responsibility on the participants.

That still sounds incredibly controlling. They are making that decision based solely on a religious belief, I assume. How is that any better than what Google does?

Google tries to politically indoctrinate employees and fires the unindoctrinatable ones, Hobby Lobby refuses to pay for abortion inducing drugs. Where's the similarity here?

That's what I'd expect a cultural marxist betacuck to say, go shill for (((diversity))) with your sorosbux.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands