Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

No, they don't determine the birth control, just what they'll pay for. The employee is perfectly free to pay for it herself.

That still sounds incredibly controlling. They are making that decision based solely on a religious belief, I assume. How is that any better than what Google does?

Google tries to politically indoctrinate employees and fires the unindoctrinatable ones, Hobby Lobby refuses to pay for abortion inducing drugs. Where's the similarity here?

Google fired person who used Google's resource and time that was paid by Google (meaning that person write his manifesto during his work hours) to undermine PR effort in which Google has put billions of dollars in past decade. I mean which company would not fire such employee. Hobby Lobby promises healthcare it employees but with exception that said healthcare needs to fit in their brand image. With those two I would say that Google's actions are less nefarious and they pay better salaries for their workers.

• Like 1

The notion of cultural marxism does hold some weight though. Consider when people believe that a "pure free market" will really work. The might hold those beliefs under the notion they are operating as a neoliberal, classical capitalist, or libertarian. They've bought into certain ideas but they know nothing of the original mathematical and philosophical arguments that promoted it. The same happens with the ideas behind what gets called cultural marxism. It's not just people recently decrying post-modernism, which cultural marxism has become a synonym for. Go back and listen to Chomsky or David Foster Wallace. It's just now the ideas have been stripped away from their original groundings. You have people discarding objective pursuits because it suggests their ideals might not be true. You have people refusing to consider factors that play against equity, especially if those factors might seem out of their control; Who want most all that is not ideal to be a result of human socialization such that the factors will be solvable through government.

Certainly just name dropping it as if it will get across one's arguments though is entirely amiss and cringe inducing, and is an example of a different problem with how people engage. This guy unfortunately tries to smuggle in an end problem alongside his addressing a process problem, which does nothing to invite people of vary views to step into a realm of engagement that implores a higher degree or responsibility on the participants.

You're right, of course, Cultural Marxism as the Frankfurt School was once an academic term, before it got co-opted by fringe elements on the right to refer to an ongoing conspiracy to destroy the American Way of Life - or the Western culture as such. Insofar is name dropping Cultural Marxism in combination with "cis-gendered patriarchy" rather detrimental because it shows an affinity he distanced himself from in the disclaimer.

As I said that doesn't invalidate some of the points he made but it gives a clear point of origin for some of the opinions expressed in the document.

edit:

Changed the wording of the post a bit.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Google fired person who used Google's resource and time that was paid by Google (meaning that person write his manifesto during his work hours) to undermine PR effort in which Google has put billions of dollars in past decade.

Do you have proof of this? Because not even Google has claimed such -- all we know is the manifesto is in breach of their "code of conduct".

Besides, he wasn't "undermining" anything, except perhaps the uniform acceptance of the party line. He's just complaining that Two Minutes Hate cramps his style.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Time for Mattis to seize power.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sabre-rattling is sabre-rattling, but when you have two potentially unstable heads of state having a pissing contest--this takes it to a new level.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Google fired person who used Google's resource and time that was paid by Google (meaning that person write his manifesto during his work hours) to undermine PR effort in which Google has put billions of dollars in past decade.

Do you have proof of this? Because not even Google has claimed such -- all we know is the manifesto is in breach of their "code of conduct".

Besides, he wasn't "undermining" anything, except perhaps the uniform acceptance of the party line. He's just complaining that Two Minutes Hate cramps his style.

Only grapevine speak at the work, can't say how reliable gossip actually is.

When knowledge about his manifesto went viral, it caused lots of talk (gossip) about anti-women atmosphere on Google, which directly undermines Google's PR efforts where they have build image being accepting and diverse working place where any sort discrimination is frowned upon. Google puts great value in their imago as liberal, accepting and diverse company and employer.

Sabre-rattling is sabre-rattling, but when you have two potentially unstable heads of state having a pissing contest--this takes it to a new level.

can't help but be reminded of the following:

not funny

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How calmly the Russians are dragging America into another useless war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr8nFbd18KI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiN30r-_FD0

I wonder which one has more to lose in a war, the average Russian or the average American...or both? 

As an Iranian I have no rights to make any judgement here. :-

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

or is it just the usual along with a collective "There he goes again."?

What?!

Speak English please, I also know German and Farsi but still...English is preferred.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

or is it just the usual along with a collective "There he goes again."?

What?!

Speak English please, I also know German and Farsi but still...English is preferred.

I meant 'the usual' as in whatever is the usual response or way things are portrayed as far as the US goes and "collective 'there he goes again'" since he's done that kind of blustering rhetoric before.

I'm not a fan of Trump either and I didn't mean it as a jab against Iran, though I can see how it might be percieved that way, sorry.

Basically I'm just wondering how Iran is covering it.

Edited by smjjames

Does Trump even know who MacArthur was?

Of course, there was a movie about him. And he was touting MacArthur as the greatest general ever in the campaign (when he was going on about how you can take an entire city by surprise) if I recall correctly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans,

Yes, really terrible, this can not stand.

Edit: Also based on a fake NBC news report - http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2017/08/08/fake-news-nbc-news-phony-crop-rot-story-goes-viral/

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I think that farmers were previously paying below minimum wage with little time off and benefits speaks ill of them as opposed to the policy of having migrant workers labor for pennies.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/kanada-fluechtlinge-101.html

For the non-german ones: last month alone Canada accepted around 1150 refugees from the US, most apparently from Haiti. Montreal even opened up theory stadium to house them. I find this very amusing.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Wait a minute, just last year "cheap robots are coming for our farm jobs by taking the most brutal tasks first" and now we have vegetables rotting on the vine? I wish I could get my outrage straight. :(

outrage at robots would be curious as the article linked observes how "costs remain too high for robots to replace most farm work for low-value crops."  

perhaps outrage should be directed at stephen miller and donald trump who eschewed facts in favor o' a "common sense approach" to arrive at the conclusion lower-income and low-skill american workers would benefit from the void left by absent foreign labor.  is gifted shocked that american workers don't wanna fill those open farm labor jobs?  doubt it.

*shrug*

has been our opinion that immigration reform is needed, but our conclusion were diametric opposite o' the wh.  need more legal immigration as 'posed to less.  fearmongering has the wh advocating the exact opposite kinda reform we need. 

regardless, if you got concerns 'bout farm labour, your outrage likely should be directed at trump as 'posed to robots.  sure, we all know our evil robot overlords is simple biding their time until skynet is activated, but am doubtful the ai apocalypse will come at you in the form of automated lettuce weeders.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)