Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

Of course, the comparison would work better if the Digital Arts Center voted as a board to move the statue, and then a bunch of Ewoks marched in protest.   :p

edit: Yeah, I am saying Ewoks are racist. They live in the forest and were ready to kill everyone until Threepio showed up.

And they savagely beat white guys with rocks.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nice timing to boot, heh.  Plays well with his acolytes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, that was what I meant, re: the hurricane.  But can't expect much subtlety.  Ah well, maybe Arpaio will get in trouble for something else.

Gorka is out. While I can't say that he'll be missed, his reason for doing so (specifically mentioning our re-commitment to Afghanistan) is an interesting one.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I guess Brietbart just got another writer.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gorka is out. While I can't say that he'll be missed, his reason for doing so (specifically mentioning our re-commitment to Afghanistan) is an interesting one.

announced reasons are largely pointless.  kelly wanted him gone.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I swear Trump has ADHD sometimes, heh. Of course, his complete lack of political experience is showing, as usual. Gotta sympathise with his frustration on getting the debt ceiling dealt with though.

has been linked before by Gromnir and others, but the writer of trump's book, the art of the deal​, has shared his insights into the workings o' trump's mind.  is an intriguing read... not the art of the deal, but rather the interview with tony schwartz.

“It’s implicit in a lot of what people write, but it’s never explicit—or, at least, I haven’t seen it. And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focussed on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. 

keep in mind the interview is from the summer o' 2016, before the election. warnings.  warnings not heeded.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

HA! Good Fun!

Mark Bowden similarly noted in his own interview of Trump for Playboy that Trump's interview fatigue made it somewhat difficult for him to get much material for the piece. Along with Schwartz's observations it was why I found Trump's nickname "Low Energy Jeb" as much him calling the kettle black as his "Lying Ted". 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Arpaio is a ****. He should be in prison but  the presidential having carte blanche has always been  overpowered and both everyone who has ever been in power has abused and are to blame for overreaching with it.

Arpaio is such a piece of crap that he once presumably faked an assassination attempt on himself. He should have been sentenced to prison for more than the limited time that he was. L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I swear Trump has ADHD sometimes, heh. Of course, his complete lack of political experience is showing, as usual. Gotta sympathise with his frustration on getting the debt ceiling dealt with though.

has been linked before by Gromnir and others, but the writer of trump's book, the art of the deal​, has shared his insights into the workings o' trump's mind.  is an intriguing read... not the art of the deal, but rather the interview with tony schwartz.

“It’s implicit in a lot of what people write, but it’s never explicit—or, at least, I haven’t seen it. And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focussed on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. 

keep in mind the interview is from the summer o' 2016, before the election. warnings.  warnings not heeded.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

HA! Good Fun!

Mark Bowden similarly noted in his own interview of Trump for Playboy that Trump's interview fatigue made it somewhat difficult for him to get much material for the piece. Along with Schwartz's observations it was why I found Trump's nickname "Low Energy Jeb" as much him calling the kettle black as his "Lying Ted". 

another article worth reading. 

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a46616/dont-mess-with-roy-cohn/

note how the original published date is december 1978.  

were warning signs going back decades.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-25/yellen-gives-more-swan-song-than-job-audition-in-jackson-speech

other than the hurricane, this might actual be the most important news o' the last week.  no doubt some folks recollect Gromnir complaints 'bout clinton era bank deregulation.  bush attempted to reign in some o' the freewheeling bank excesses and lost a battle with gop congress from which he never fully recovered- he never again went 'gainst his party in Congress.

bank deregulation is, in our estimation, one o' the more terrifying ideas being advanced by trump.  we has noted how Presidents don't have near as much impact on the economy as many believe, and the ways in which Presidents do significant impact the economy is rare comprehended at the time pivotal choices is made. yellen is correct, but she is hammering nails in her own coffin.  am hopeful she can find a way to maintain the federal reserve chair, 'cause the alternative has us likely repeating 2008 economic meltdown... albeit long after trump is outta office.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-prepares-to-lift-limits-on-military-gear-for-police/ar-AAqOsCh?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

This was a bad f-----g idea in FDR's day. It was a bad f-----g idea in 1990. It was a really bad f-----g idea in 1995 when Clinton extended it to municipal police forces. It was a really, really bad f-----g idea when Obama expanded it, then limited it, then ignored. And it's a really, really, really bad f-----g idea under Trump.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-prepares-to-lift-limits-on-military-gear-for-police/ar-AAqOsCh?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

This was a bad f-----g idea in FDR's day. It was a bad f-----g idea in 1990. It was a really bad f-----g idea in 1995 when Clinton extended it to municipal police forces. It was a really, really bad f-----g idea when Obama expanded it, then limited it, then ignored. And it's a really, really, really bad f-----g idea under Trump.

Why are you soft on criminals ?

:p

Actually I can almost hear WoD and others saying if you're not a criminal or a terrorist you have nothing to fear. Until the day the guys with automatic weapons and armored troop carriers decide you are. Or that they would just be better off without you around. Think it can't cappen here? It already has. Ask Gromnir. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-25/yellen-gives-more-swan-song-than-job-audition-in-jackson-speech

other than the hurricane, this might actual be the most important news o' the last week.  no doubt some folks recollect Gromnir complaints 'bout clinton era bank deregulation.  bush attempted to reign in some o' the freewheeling bank excesses and lost a battle with gop congress from which he never fully recovered- he never again went 'gainst his party in Congress.

bank deregulation is, in our estimation, one o' the more terrifying ideas being advanced by trump.  we has noted how Presidents don't have near as much impact on the economy as many believe, and the ways in which Presidents do significant impact the economy is rare comprehended at the time pivotal choices is made. yellen is correct, but she is hammering nails in her own coffin.  am hopeful she can find a way to maintain the federal reserve chair, 'cause the alternative has us likely repeating 2008 economic meltdown... albeit long after trump is outta office.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, you already know I disagree with you on Dodd-Frank and bank de-regulation in general. Dodd-Frank is at it's heart a corporatist bill that suppresses competition from smaller institutions. It's two cups of regulation mixed with a gallon of anticompetitive measures. And in the end the higher cost of regulation compliance are always paid by the end user of the service. And no one complains when there are a lot of users to spread it around. If you are going to de-regulate banking, do it all the way. Take away the government safety net. The too big to fail bailout. It would certainly have me re-thinking what banks I do business with. And banks would be more circumspect with their own activities. I can't see either as a bad thing. But this half measure stuff just causes problems. Glass-Stengal made sense because it came on the heels of a crisis and incorporated lessons learned. Then they spent the next eighty ears chipping away at it. My problem with the current mess of regulatory acts isn't that they don't safeguard the consumer (they don't but caveat emptor) it's that they are not what the purport to be.  

Thomas Sowell

Actually I can almost hear WoD and others saying if you're not a criminal or a terrorist you have nothing to fear. Until the day the guys with automatic weapons and armored troop carriers decide you are. Or that they would just be better off without you around. Think it can't cappen here? It already has. Ask Gromnir.

Yep. Eventually we'll see them using Predators to tackle pot grow ops :lol:

I assume they have to publicly state reasoning for needing such equipment though?