Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

Of course, this assumes the article is 100% true. Then again,  knowing how authority figures tend to be - espicially the cop types - I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination has issued a warning to the US over events in Charlottesville. Previously this committee has gone after Burundi, Nigeria, Rwanda and Ivory Coast where the military has engaged in mass murdering specific ethnic groups. So, CNN estimated the total amount of protesters, Antifi, miscellaneous white supremacists, and spectators at Charlottesville to be around 2k people. None of whom are affiliated with the government of the US or the state of Virginia (except the cops who backed off at the first sign of trouble). 2k people in a country of 323M who protested no one that day. And one SOB in a car whose best case prospects is the rest of his natural life in state prison.

Sure I could see the UN issuing a warning because genocide and a handful of radical right racists marching and shouting and 1 murderer are totally the same thing right? https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-racism-committee-issues-warning-over-us-tensions-103644308.html

They have a point though. In US there's widespread and growing institutionalized anti-white and to some extent anti-asian racism.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

This is the peak of modern jurnalism. One sided story, author is the subject of article, no proof the story actually happened. I applaud.

Did you notice what section of the paper it was in ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They have a point though. In US there's widespread and growing institutionalized anti-white and to some extent anti-asian racism.

Institutionalized? I don't buy it. Have the police started targeting white and asian people more than other races? Did the vast majority of the people in the government suddenly changed skin color? Are all the hedge fund managers, bankers, and CEO's being pushed out by minorities?

White oppression is a ridiculous narrative pushed by people who want to play the victim card. Given the election results, I'd think that'd be a hard one to push, but people keep trying.  

What, you mean Twitter and Tumblr aren't the real world ? :p

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Institutionalized? I don't buy it. Have the police started targeting white and asian people more than other races? Did the vast majority of the people in the government suddenly changed skin color? Are all the hedge fund managers, bankers, and CEO's being pushed out by minorities?

White oppression is a ridiculous narrative pushed by people who want to play the victim card. Given the election results, I'd think that'd be a hard one to push, but people keep trying.

So by your logic if Jews are successful there must not be any antisemitism. Here's an example of institutionalized racism: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/18/rejected-asian-students-sue-harvard-over-admissions-that-favor-other-minorities.html Here's an example of anti-white racism just from today : http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/24/aclus-twitter-account-gets-lesson-in-political-correctness.html

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

This is the peak of modern jurnalism. One sided story, author is the subject of article, no proof the story actually happened. I applaud.

Did you notice what section of the paper it was in ?

Don't you know that letters to editor/public voice section pieces needs to be go through extreme vetting for facts these days just so that paper that publishes them could not be accused for bad journalism and even that probably would not save paper from accusations of fake news if reader don't like what they read. I mean we live in time when direct quotes with video link to person saying thing they are quoted to say are accused to be fake news attack pieces.

Meh, honestly I think that the ACLU should have tweaked the wording a bit given recent events.

This seems like a non-story on both sides (the ACLU, who I donate money to and like, ran an ad without thinking about all the implications and some people overreacted because it's the internet - nothing really noteworthy).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

well, considering it ain't actual journalism...

were original a contribution to the Washington Post's posteverything-perspective section. isn't news.  isn't journalism. the section is clear labeled as "discussion of news topics with a point of view, including narratives by individuals regarding their own experiences." you got nothing more than a first-person narrative from an individual who clear identifies herself as a political activist in opposition to trump.  no real danger o' being misrepresented as journalism. well, we woulda' thought there were no such danger. is no more journalism than vol or sharp or Gromnir posting stories and anecdotes on this board.

​and yeah, one suspects a one-sided narrative is gonna get embellishment by the author.  these first hand accounts rare match reality with any kinda accuracy. even so, we got the author admitting her political leanings, and we can clear see this is a first-person narrative.  no reasonable intelligent person is gonna mistake the linked story for journalism in any meaningful sense. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Have the police started targeting white"

When there is a confrontation between the police and a civilian/suspect, it is more likely to get violent when the citizen/suspect is white.

As for general anti white policies  ther eis plenty fo examples. Hell, Asians too are often targeted by racist policies b/c they are 'too successful' according to people so they need to brought low because you can't have that.

Meh, honestly I think that the ACLU should have tweaked the wording a bit given recent events.

This seems like a non-story on both sides (the ACLU, who I donate money to and like, ran an ad without thinking about all the implications and some people overreacted because it's the internet - nothing really noteworthy).

Yeah, seems to have just the internet being the internet, and then ACLU overreacted, which only made it worse I guess.

When there is a confrontation between the police and a civilian/suspect, it is more likely to get violent when the citizen/suspect is white.

As for general anti white policies  ther eis plenty fo examples. Hell, Asians too are often targeted by racist policies b/c they are 'too successful' according to people so they need to brought low because you can't have that.

Nice Poe there.

So by your logic if Jews are successful there must not be any antisemitism. Here's an example of institutionalized racism: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/18/rejected-asian-students-sue-harvard-over-admissions-that-favor-other-minorities.html Here's an example of anti-white racism just from today : http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/24/aclus-twitter-account-gets-lesson-in-political-correctness.html

So your examples are some people didn't get into Harvard and the ACLU took down tweet? That is institutionalized racism against white people and Asians?

I'm not arguing that racism doesn't exist, I'm arguing against your idea that it is institutionalized in anywhere near the same aspect as it is against other races. 

The Affirmative Action story is a legitimate policy issue. It's not a new complaint, and I'm pretty sure we've debated it before. It's a a matter of letter of the law versus spirit of the law. The spirit is to give more opportunity to groups typically subject to inequalities, but the reality is it can  shift the discrimination to another group. I'm not in total disagreement with you on that. 

You sure about that, with regards to cops, Volo ? 

Wy So amused?

HA! Good Fun!

fixed

"wy"? 'cause almost immediate following your recent overbroad and hasty generalization faux pas, you do the same thing.  however with your most recent generalization blunder, you couldn't even match the target o' your scorn with the group you were seeking to denigrate.  were clear not a journalist or any kinda' journalism.

so, yeah, am amused.  you are a gift which keeps on giving, whether you intend to or not.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  to stay on-topic

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2017-08-24/why-trump-is-calling-out-gop-leaders-on-debt-limit-video

was hoping for a bit more analysis.  suggesting trump can't control his own impulses is hardly news at this point.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I swear Trump has ADHD sometimes, heh. Of course, his complete lack of political experience is showing, as usual. Gotta sympathise with his frustration on getting the debt ceiling dealt with though.

has been linked before by Gromnir and others, but the writer of trump's book, the art of the deal​, has shared his insights into the workings o' trump's mind.  is an intriguing read... not the art of the deal, but rather the interview with tony schwartz.

“It’s implicit in a lot of what people write, but it’s never explicit—or, at least, I haven’t seen it. And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focussed on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. 

keep in mind the interview is from the summer o' 2016, before the election. warnings.  warnings not heeded.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"You sure about that, with regards to cops, Volo ? "

As sure as I can be with anything read/view on the internet. L0L

Edited by Volourn

I swear Trump has ADHD sometimes, heh. Of course, his complete lack of political experience is showing, as usual. Gotta sympathise with his frustration on getting the debt ceiling dealt with though.

has been linked before by Gromnir and others, but the writer of trump's book, the art of the deal​, has shared his insights into the workings o' trump's mind.  is an intriguing read... not the art of the deal, but rather the interview with tony schwartz.

“It’s implicit in a lot of what people write, but it’s never explicit—or, at least, I haven’t seen it. And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focussed on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. 

keep in mind the interview is from the summer o' 2016, before the election. warnings.  warnings not heeded.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

HA! Good Fun!

The ADHD really should be the least of his problems, the energy just has to be channeled in a direction that's beneficial and it can be managed. The problem is that he's a 71 year old guy set in his ways and is unwilling to change and really doesn't take constructive criticism well. Not to mention his whole personality and obsession with attacking every single greviance and slight.

Edited by smjjames

well, since sharp isn't even trying anymore...

HA! Good Fun!

The ADHD really should be the least of his problems, the energy just has to be channeled in a direction that's beneficial and it can be managed. The problem is that he's a 71 year old guy set in his ways and is unwilling to change and really doesn't take constructive criticism well. Not to mention his whole personality and obsession with attacking every single greviance and slight.

the notion o' trump having the attention span o' a pre-adolescent hopped up on amphetamines is hardly the least o' anybody's problems.  the nsc briefings, as just one example, is not gonna be bullet point/powerpoint presentations.  a limited attention span for a chief executive with access to launch codes should be of serious concern. the executive's "simple" day-to-day issues is complex and often there is no clear and simple solutions... and to keep the president's attention, advisors must somehow try and spin to make such stuff seem like an opportunity to show more trump greatness? is the other major problem: trump's self-absorption.  

the thing is, we has had self-absorbed presidents.  a president with a small ego is actual gonna be uncommon, and the step from big ego to self absorbed is small. andrew jackson had self-absorption issues.  how events affected jackson took precedent.  the thing is, jackson were also an experienced politician by the time he arrived in the white house.  he were also a brave and battle-tested field commander.  jackson were an egomaniac, and he might even have been crazy, but he were competent and focused.

reagan, on the other hand, were an actor. when he got to the wh, folks in his inner circle suggested he would need change his ways a bit, that he would need be a bit more involved in the actual day-to-day policy issues.  reagan however were either not interested or capable o' personal handling the minutiae o' the Presidency and so he deferred.  mr. reagan surrounded himself with highly intelligent, dedicated and capable men.  sure, you might not like the reagan wh politics, but he had a competent staff who handled all the stuff reagan couldn't be bothered to handle.  the President gave prepared speeches and shared personal anecdotes when confronted by hard questions, but for the most part he let his staff handle the executive branch.

being so overt combative would appear to Gromnir to be a simple a combination o' the lack o' attention/focus and his self-absorption.  trump's vanity will not allow a personal attack to go w/o a response, but his lack o' focus and attention means he simple reflexive responds to such slights rather than considering the ramifications and alternatives.

in any event, we have had presidents with self absorption issues.  we have had presidents who couldn't seem to muster the focus to be president.  am not thinking we have ever had such a comic combination o' both qualities in one president. 

HA! Good Fun!

So your examples are some people didn't get into Harvard and the ACLU took down tweet? That is institutionalized racism against white people and Asians?

I'm not arguing that racism doesn't exist, I'm arguing against your idea that it is institutionalized in anywhere near the same aspect as it is against other races.

So some races consistently given preference over others isn't institutionalized racism? Setting a quota on how many Asians can be admitted to a university isn't institutionalized racism? What's your evidence of institutionalized racism against other races?

Indeed it is hard being a white man in the USA.

"Ism's" and "phobia's" are perfectly acceptable when they are used for "punching up". :geek:

Shouldn't be. In some of those cases it's almost laughable - think of a gay man shouting anti-straight hate slogans :p