Politics - Episode 9: The Lurking Fear

Rosbjerg

@Gromnir: My point is that it doesn't even have to be a problem. I have ADHD and I know it can be managed, whether through medicine or behavioral changes (I had an impulsivity problem as a kid). As to your point on Reagan, he was also a Governor of California, so, he wasn't totally new to politics and likely knew some of his limits. Trump isn't really doing that with his WH either, well, he has some.

An experienced politician or actor* (like say, Reagan) who hypothetically had ADHD would have found ways to manage it

*No, not a b-list actor like Trump was.

So some races consistently given preference over others isn't institutionalized racism? Setting a quota on how many Asians can be admitted to a university isn't institutionalized racism? What's your evidence of institutionalized racism against other races?

You can go here and look at the actual statistics for Harvard: https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/admissions-statistics

I'd say you are simplifying a rather complex issue, but as I said, I'd agree Affirmative Action is problematic. Hence my statement:

I'm arguing against your idea that it is institutionalized in anywhere near the same aspect as it is against other races.

You can find a metric ton of information on the Racial Achievement gap in this country. The numbers aren't pretty and there is no simple way to narrow that gap. As much as I sympathize with the Harvard situation (my students are in that demo) it is nowhere near as tragic as the educational disparities we have across this country. 

So your examples are some people didn't get into Harvard and the ACLU took down tweet? That is institutionalized racism against white people and Asians?

as an aside, is rare mentioned by the folks who lament ivy league schools giving underrepresented minority applications in an effort to promote diversity, but white students is still overrepresented at such schools based on academic achievement.  legacy admissions and sports scholarships is disproportionate being granted to white students compared to underrepresented minorities.  the legacy admissions is, in particular, a self perpetuating problem.  as a group, is no reason to feel bad for white applicants to ivies.

on the other hand, we do sympathize with the individual white kid or asian kid with near perfect sat scores and perfect grades who can't get into University of Pennsylvania 'cause some jock (like Gromnir) or a legacy took his/her place.  sucks.  is not institutional racism by any stretch o' the imagination, particular as is private institutions each with their own standards which vary from school to school, but we nevertheless sympathize with the perfect student who didn't have the foresight or time to invent an ai capable o' making the perfect waffle to puff up their application, or some such nonsense.

in any event, don't let 'em try and fool you with numbers. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You can find a metric ton of information on the Racial Achievement gap in this country. The numbers aren't pretty and there is no simple way to narrow that gap. As much as I sympathize with the Harvard situation (my students are in that demo) it is nowhere near as tragic as the educational disparities we have across this country.

You claimed institutionalized racism, not "racial achievement gap". I'm not arguing there's isn't one.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So some races consistently given preference over others isn't institutionalized racism? Setting a quota on how many Asians can be admitted to a university isn't institutionalized racism? What's your evidence of institutionalized racism against other races?

You can go here and look at the actual statistics for Harvard: https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/admissions-statistics

Those numbers tell that asian americans are over represented in Harvard (22.2% of admitted students compared to 6% of population). African americans representation is about same as their percentage of population (14.6% of admitted students compared to 14% of population). Native American or Pacific Islander have are bit over represented (2.5% of admitted students compared to 0.9% of population). Hispanics or Latinos are under represented (11.6% of admitted students compared to 16.3% of population). Non-hispanic white americans are under represented (49.1% of admitted students compared to 63% of population)

By this numbers show clear institutional favoritism for asian americans and it is white americans that mostly suffer from this favoritism.   :aiee:

Don't take this post too seriously

Edited by Elerond

Nah. Good chances Asians could reach as much as 40% if they weren't discriminated against. It may be stereotyping but let's face it for whatever reason Asians are smart hardworking 'nerds' who tend to take their schooling way more seriously than other  groups.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A Kasich and Hickenlooper unity ticket?

The only unity ticket that ever worked, and I checked wiki, was Abe Lincolin and Andrew Johnson. So, the question is "Would an unity ticket even work?"

Although, they're going to try and run as Independent or something.

Edited by smjjames

Yoda wasn't a rebel though. Never really was with the Alliance and was just Republic loyalist defeated by the insurgent Imperials :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Starwars wiki has him listed as a General during the Clone Wars. :p

check mate

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

*sigh*

It was a joke I saw on the Chive. But yes, it's a parody of this week's moronic masses.

fixed

just helping the less educated masses.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Starwars wiki has him listed as a General during the Clone Wars. :p

He still wasn't on the rebel side there :p

Always found that stupid, Jedi automatically became Generals. Doesn't necessarily make them good leaders due to them being warrior monks :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is why Antifa  - even if you take their violent actions out of it - can't be takens eriously or considered intelligent or 'good':

https://www.facebook.com/newlypress/videos/1866642886933417/

HAHAHAHAHAH!

P.S. Some are claiming this is 'FAKE' but it is perfectly believeable knowing how Antifa'/BLM act. R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That was from a well known troll a month ago.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well the Separatists were the rebel side there. Heh, Lucas even gave them the label of Confederacy of Independent Systems, just noticed that.

Of course, the comparison would work better if the Digital Arts Center voted as a board to move the statue, and then a bunch of Ewoks marched in protest.   :p

edit: Yeah, I am saying Ewoks are racist. They live in the forest and were ready to kill everyone until Threepio showed up.

Edited by Hurlshot

not the star wars historian some others may be, but am recollecting ewoks preparing to roast han solo, alive, over an open flame.  ewok intent to burn alive, and presumably eat other sentient beings were overlooked rather quickly by the band o' heroes.... racism aside.  'course most offensive were the culinary preparation o' han solo which had him being cooked, fully clothed, w/o any pre-seasoning, and absent any kinda wine as far as we could tell.  what sort of animal cooks w/o, at the very least, salt and wine? 

still, the initial joke, when we saw it a week or so ago, were worth a small chuckle.  was onboard with gifted 'til the "moronic masses" bit.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1