Ydwin to return in the expansion?

Yeah, that is way too much of reading. My own personal take on it was that Ydwin was a straight up psychopath, putting on a friendly demeanor, all the while doing Johann Conrad Dippel experiments.

It's almost like Ydwin is a mirror that reflects the fears of the person who sees her.

• Like 3

Yeah, the whole field of associated figures is absolutely intriguing. The study of thaumaturgy and hermetics were what I had hoped the conflict over animancy would have been. Given that so much of medieval alchemy is focused on the idea of workings of the soul, with the end result of being either ascension or knowledge through the magnum opus. Given that in Pillars souls are actually real, the debate over animancer is much more legitimate. For example, can animancers actually handle the results of the Sephirothic? Or what about the destruction and manipulation of souls, which John Dee viewed as the ultimate punishment.  Adding the fact that Gods are real, and are ........, then that would mean Geber's ideas of holy reunification are accurate. It could have been so cool, but what we got instead was a "Oooh, science bad" thing. Disappointing

Edited by HooAmEye
  • Like 4

Yeah, the whole field of associated figures is absolutely intriguing. The study of thaumaturgy and hermetics were what I had hoped the conflict over animancy would have been. Given that so much of medieval alchemy is focused on the idea of workings of the soul, with the end result of being either ascension or knowledge through the magnum opus. Given that in Pillars souls are actually real, the debate over animancer is much more legitimate. For example, can animancers actually handle the results of the Sephirothic? Or what about the destruction and manipulation of souls, which John Dee viewed as the ultimate punishment.  Adding the fact that SPOILERS then that would mean Geber's ideas of holy reunification are accurate. It could have been so cool, but what we got instead was a "Oooh, science bad" thing. Disappointing

One small thing, you should probably add a spoiler tag or just get rid of that spoiler.

Frankly a lot of this sounds like politically motivated nonsense perhaps relating to a certain two letter abbreviated movement.

Wow. You noticed that the nonsense I wrote is nonsense. Gratulations! But how is it politically motivated? I never knew that I was politically motivated. Or even motivated at all.

She's a people person who is "pleasant and charming" so a lot of your suppositions are contradicted directly.

I improvised. Just fill in some other bla bla that makes her a nicer person. Or shall I try again?

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

It could have been so cool, but what we got instead was a "Oooh, science bad" thing. Disappointing

That is exactly what I am talking about. There is so much room for exploring and almost everything we explored was the personal problems of some normal life people translated into fantasy language. I mean Aloth was fun, but his story didn't even really had to do with animancy. It just served as a trojan horse for troubled teenager stuff. And what was that Sagani-Thing? I guess next time the companion quests will be hunts for cooking recipes.

Durance on the other hand at least reflected the world he lived in even if his "quest" was kind of pointless. And guess what: Most people hated him. Why? Because they give a **** about history, philosophy, metaphors about human life, metaphysics or thinking in general. They just want media to be a mirror, reflecting the dull space full of pointless self-centered half-thoughts inside of their skulls.

---

We're all doomed

I don't know if that is wholly accurate. Personally, I found much of the story to be quite interesting, just very unevenly paced. Sure, there are way too many missed oppurtunities, but the sequel looks to be fixing that.  For example, both Hiravias/Devil/Eder had quite engaging stories. Also, I too disliked Durance. His story was absolutely fascinating, but didn't change the fact that he was a gigantic ass.

Frankly a lot of this sounds like politically motivated nonsense perhaps relating to a certain two letter abbreviated movement.

Wow. You noticed that the nonsense I wrote is nonsense. Gratulations! But how is it politically motivated? I never knew that I was politically motivated. Or even motivated at all.

She's a people person who is "pleasant and charming" so a lot of your suppositions are contradicted directly.

I improvised. Just fill in some other bla bla that makes her a nicer person. Or shall I try again?

Now I'm guilty of reading too much into a comment.

• Like 1

Now I'm guilty of reading too much into a comment.

That explains a lot.

I don't know if that is wholly accurate. Personally, I found much of the story to be quite interesting, just very unevenly paced. Sure, there are way too many missed oppurtunities, but the sequel looks to be fixing that.  For example, both Hiravias/Devil/Eder had quite engaging stories. Also, I too disliked Durance. His story was absolutely fascinating, but didn't change the fact that he was a gigantic ass.

Eder? Really? I couldn't care less on which side his brother fought. Devil was fun, but the conclusion came too quick. Wouldn't have minded to kill some more guys. But what I am talking about isn't wether the quests were fun or the NPCs were nice persons. The only NPC that really seemed to be affected by this rather sick little world was Durance. The only NPC that reflected about that world was Durance. And the only NPC that gives you a glimpse into the mind of the people that started that war, killed that god and had to deal with all they had done is Durance. Of course he's an ass. It's hard to live in such a world and not be an ass.

---

We're all doomed

Eder? Really? I couldn't care less on which side his brother fought. Devil was fun, but the conclusion came too quick. Wouldn't have minded to kill some more guys. But what I am talking about isn't wether the quests were fun or the NPCs were nice persons. The only NPC that really seemed to be affected by this rather sick little world was Durance. The only NPC that reflected about that world was Durance. And the only NPC that gives you a glimpse into the mind of the people that started that war, killed that god and had to deal with all they had done is Durance. Of course he's an ass. It's hard to live in such a world and not be an ass.

Ok, I have to strongly disagree with you. Most of the companions supported games themes and reflected the world around them. To me finale wouldn't be nearly as engaging if not for the companions.

Eder - He suffered a lot because of and for his faith (during & after the war both physically and mentally.) His personal tragedies become only more haunting when some truths at the end are revealed. Introduces you to Eothas as well as a rather important conflict. 

Hiravias - another guy with some serious questions and doubts regarding Gods. Once again, his conflict becomes even more interesting once you get to the finale. Introduces you to two of the gods.

Pallegina - a much less spiritual character, one of main representatives of Valian Republic for the player. Her Godlike condition puts her at odds with gods as she suffered a lot because of it, which once again poses some questions once we get to the end of the game.

Grieving Mother - you learn a lot about the tragedy that is hollowborn plus discussion on when a lie becomes reality - again very fitting theme considering the ending.

Sagani is very closely tied to a very core aspect of Eora - reincarnation. I really enjoyed learning about tribal life of Eora. 

Aloth - yhh, ties in with one of the factions. Provides a little bit of a different perspective. Fun character, but not that much important. 

Kana - never much cared for him. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 3

Ok, I have to strongly disagree with you. Most of the companions supported games themes and reflected the world around them. To me finale wouldn't be nearly as engaging if not for the companions.

Eder - He suffered a lot because of and for his faith (during & after the war both physically and mentally.) His personal tragedies become only more haunting when some truths at the end are revealed. Introduces you to Eothas as well as a rather important conflict. 

Hiravias - another guy with some serious questions and doubts regarding Gods. Once again, his conflict becomes even more interesting once you get to the finale. Introduces you to two of the gods.

Pallegina - a much less spiritual character, one of main representatives of Valian Republic for the player. Her Godlike condition puts her at odds with gods as she suffered a lot because of it, which once again poses some questions once we get to the end of the game.

Grieving Mother - you learn a lot about the tragedy that is hollowborn plus discussion on when a lie becomes reality - again very fitting theme considering the ending.

Sagani is very closely tied to a very core aspect of Eora - reincarnation. I really enjoyed learning about tribal life of Eora. 

Aloth - yhh, ties in with one of the factions. Provides a little bit of a different perspective. Fun character, but not that much important. 

Kana - never much cared for him. 

Not sure if "this"ing is appropriate on this forum. So... THAT!

• Like 2

Here's some thoughts I have on Edér... Personally I find his personality very involved and affected by the events that transpired in Dyrwood. I find that in his disagreements with the player's choices as well as his opinion of other parties and factions he comes across as pretty apathetic and soft-spoken (if you say you don't care what Raedric does in Gilded Vale, he'll reply with a comment along the lines of "not even a little?", while his opinions on the Dozens, while negative, express disagreement without calling for action or opposition - in his stance, things are just the way things are), and this all fits the history of a person who is full of personal doubt and who goes about his life keeping his head down. He has reason to do so: he's a follower of Eothas in a time when Eothasians are being hanged in public, *and* he's the brother of a rumoured traitor. He is a character who's refusing to take a centre stage because that could lead to his presence being noted and thus being questioned (making enemies who'd exploit his history as an Eothasian and so on). He's also very skeptical and harbours a particular distaste for zealots, all of which ties to the persecution of Eothasians and the questions surrounding Waidwen as an incarnation of the same - he has reasons of being as much. I don't think that he is in the end any less affected by the events than Durance, but whereas Durance seems to confront his own history with vengeful directness, Edér, being the small-town farmer and so on who's just trying to live, is someone that chooses to evade his history instead. This is my interpretation on his character anyhow.

I don't necessarily think all of the characters are 'affected' by the events of the game to the degree Durance or Edér are though (I would add Hiravias, the Grieving Mother and Aloth to the list of those that were), but I do think they all inform in some way or other about the themes, the history and setting that the game explores. For example, as Wormerine says, as a foreigner Sagani may not have been that deeply tied to the events concerning the Dyrwood but her story does help develop another facet of souls and reincarnation, both of which are very important elements to the themes of Pillars.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Well, never had any feeling about all that anime Ydwin stuff,  if they "de-anime'd" her on purpose because of a few, very insistent, detractors, i don't approve that action itself, but the portrait it's cool.

It was all wip, that was never a final rendition. It also wasn't in the style of portraits.