The problem with the proposed multiclass system is the 17/1 build. If the 17/1 build is worth doing, it'll be leagues better than a pure 18 always. If the 17/1 build is not worth it, then it'll be just worse and no one will make 'em, and people will end up making more balanced multiclass builds, in which case why bother with 3rd edition style free levelups at all, just have a 2nd edition style dual-classing.

And seriously, no dropping to 5 party members. That road leads to casualization, which will lead to Obsidian becoming faceless men with suitcases, which in turn will lead to the very same problems they were trying to escape by crowdfunding a game instead of relying on a producer whose agenda is to make money instead of a great game.

Ye it does feel the those last abilities are going to be very important to make sure its a real choice to go straight 18 level class or multi

i've joined this party kind of late... just what has the dev team confirmed about the multi-class system? 

because on the face of it, it sounds interesting. 

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

The problem with the proposed multiclass system is the 17/1 build. If the 17/1 build is worth doing, it'll be leagues better than a pure 18 always. If the 17/1 build is not worth it, then it'll be just worse and no one will make 'em, and people will end up making more balanced multiclass builds, in which case why bother with 3rd edition style free levelups at all, just have a 2nd edition style dual-classing.

And seriously, no dropping to 5 party members. That road leads to casualization, which will lead to Obsidian becoming faceless men with suitcases, which in turn will lead to the very same problems they were trying to escape by crowdfunding a game instead of relying on a producer whose agenda is to make money instead of a great game.

Ye it does feel the those last abilities are going to be very important to make sure its a real choice to go straight 18 level class or multi

You can't really put that on the last abilities; let's say the options are pure fighter and a fighter /cipher that gets that +20% damage. Why would anyone choose not to take that +20% damage that will help you all the way through your game and instead wait until you get something cool when the game is essentially over?

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Well i have seen josh mention that the abilities like cipher will scale so you wont get a straight 20% like you do on a level 1 cipher now. So level 1 cipher which a 17/1 character will have 4 discipline cipher levels will only have a small whip focus bonus. and yes you have to make it hurt to miss out on that last level to make it mean anything otherwise the utility you get from a 17/1 character will out way it. Also scaling all your abilities will also take a hit when you dont take that last level in your class so there is that to.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Soul Whip, like Carnage and Sneak Attack, are all going to start small, be based off of base weapon damage, and increase with their associated Power Source. There are also a few things to keep in mind: Soul Whip only adds bonus damage if Focus isn't maxed. Once it maxes out, the damage bonus turns off. If you're using cipher powers, you're not taking advantage of Sneak Attack because it now (and in later patches of PoE) only applies to weapon damage. Rogues can inflict a lot of Afflictions on their own, including Blinded at 1st level, and they typically do it all while executing powerful weapon-based attacks with their own damage bonuses. Casting Eyestrike and then following it up with a weapon-based attack may actually be less efficient than simply using Blinding Strike. That said, Eyestrike attacks Fortitude, it does offer an alternate means of inflicting the condition.

Edited by jnb0364

I never multi-classed in the D&D games, but I always loved playing a Necro-Archer in Skyrim, I wonder if I can run something like that in PoE2?

Chanter can summon phantom, undead skeletons and will-o-wisp and make corpses explode in POE1. Some of the chant are related to death as well, one chant improve ranged skill too. Few people realize the creepiness level of the Chanter chants and invocations I think.

In POE2, the Ghost Heart sub-class (Ranger) pet is going to be long dead and you'll be able to summon it in combat as a spirit.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I never multi-classed in the D&D games, but I always loved playing a Necro-Archer in Skyrim, I wonder if I can run something like that in PoE2?

Chanter can summon phantom, undead skeletons and will-o-wisp and make corpses explode in POE1. Some of the chant are related to death as well, one chant improve ranged skill too. Few people realize the creepiness level of the Chanter chants and invocations I think.

In POE2, the Ghost Heart sub-class (Ranger) pet is going to be long dead and you'll be able to summon it in combat as a spirit.

Too bad there isn't a Necromancer class those are always fun. 

after finding & watching the video & reading the blurb... i actually can't wait to try out multiclassing. and once again i will hold my opinion till i've actually tried it out, but i'm more than hopeful. 

• Like 2

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Chanter can summon phantom, undead skeletons and will-o-wisp and make corpses explode in POE1. Some of the chant are related to death as well, one chant improve ranged skill too. Few people realize the creepiness level of the Chanter chants and invocations I think.In POE2, the Ghost Heart sub-class (Ranger) pet is going to be long dead and you'll be able to summon it in combat as a spirit.

Chanter is really the perfect necromancer type class.

Summons undead and spirits? Check.

Has Auras and spells that cause fear, reduces damage, reduces concentration, etc?

Corpse exploding? Check.

Ice spells? Check.

Has good starting lore so you can fill the gap somewhat with scrolls? Check.

Phrase that gives lifetap to all allies? Check.

And a few others. Also, add that Ranger subclass, and it would be pretty legit as a necrosis archer type. However, those debuffing phrases would require tough positioning if you want to hang back. You would be a midranged archer. I've done something similar in the first game, and it works ok. It could be better though. Subclassing would potentially make it better.

• Like 2

After watching the video update on multiclassing, I must say I like that each class combo has a unique name like they do in Grim Dawn.  Sorry, but little touches like that touches me in my special places.

• Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

So, no restrictions on class combos? I'm preaty sure that's how you make sure certain combos will be inferior to the others. I mean, Paladin is Fighter/Priest by default, what's the point in Paladin/Priest, Paladin/Fighter, Fighter/Priest, then? Or Monk/Anyfighterclass? Assuming you'll be again getting late level class specific abilities, and that they are roughly the same for all classes, then there would be no point multiclassing something like that. Some could work, Fighter/Priest could be viable Paladin alternative, but Paladin/Priest would only be getting same theme abilities for your Paladin that already gets healing stuff at the price of high level Paladin abilities. Same for Monk/Fighter, he'd get some lower level fighter things for Monk, but will then not get highest levels Monk stuff. Even always used Fighter/Mage in dnd had problems. Few mage levels on a fighter and they are useless come higher levels. Few fighter levels on mage, and you have halberd wielding killing machine.

Hope they put a lot of thought into it, and a big disclaimer before somebody multiclasses. Noobs were already overwhelmed by the system as it was, and they still managed to screw their builds, give them some more options and they'll be lost completely. But really, once you go multiclasing path, every system was flawed. Nobody ever had a perfect one, and it is a SP roleplaying game, so I am looking forward to rolling something wacky like Chanter/Priest. I can already imagine him chanting gregorian chant while the skeletons of the blessed crawl up from under his feat.

Edited by dododad

So, no restrictions on class combos? I'm preaty sure that's how you make sure certain combos will be inferior to the others. I mean, Paladin is Fighter/Priest by default, what's the point in Paladin/Priest, Paladin/Fighter, Fighter/Priest, then? Or Monk/Anyfighterclass? Assuming you'll be again getting late level class specific abilities, and that they are roughly the same for all classes, then there would be no point multiclassing something like that. Some could work, Fighter/Priest could be viable Paladin alternative, but Paladin/Priest would only be getting same theme abilities for your Paladin that already gets healing stuff at the price of high level Paladin abilities. Same for Monk/Fighter, he'd get some lower level fighter things for Monk, but will then not get highest levels Monk stuff. Even always used Fighter/Mage in dnd had problems. Few mage levels on a fighter and they are useless come higher levels. Few fighter levels on mage, and you have halberd wielding killing machine.

Hope they put a lot of thought into it, and a big disclaimer before somebody multiclasses. Noobs were already overwhelmed by the system as it was, and they still managed to screw their builds, give them some more options and they'll be lost completely. But really, once you go multiclasing path, every system was flawed. Nobody had any

Well newbies can always stick to single class, and it would be nice to have helper that advice newbies to be careful about multiclassing.

what's the point in Paladin/Priest, Paladin/Fighter, Fighter/Priest, then?

We don't know yet.

Judging by PoE1 it could be:

- pal/priest - paladin with painful interdiction... priest/pal would be more interesting, because of priest getting Lay on Hands, Zealous aura and maybe some order-specific stuff.

- pal/fighter - dual-wielding pal with 2 more per-encounter full attacks (knockdown) + disciplined barage

- fighter/priest - no idea; but priest/fighter could be a combination of scaen sneak attack + minor avatar + again knockdowns and disciplined barrage.

As for fighter/monk - there could be some synergy between wounds gain and take the hit.

Edited by MaxQuest

Paladin is Fighter/Priest by default

No a paladin is not a fight/priest in this POE

what's the point in Paladin/Priest, Paladin/Fighter, Fighter/Priest, then?

Ye conceptually it doesn't seem like these types are different but in POE1 these classes were vastly different with different abilities and different strengths so ye there is a point to all these multiclasses because they all bring different things to the tables. This isnt d&d where paladin has access to priest spells. paladins are not priest in this game at all. They are not based on gods they dont have any spells or ability overlap. Even the heal the paladin gets is different than priest heals. 

Edited by jnb0364
  • Like 2

So, no restrictions on class combos? I'm preaty sure that's how you make sure certain combos will be inferior to the others. I mean, Paladin is Fighter/Priest by default, what's the point in Paladin/Priest, Paladin/Fighter, Fighter/Priest, then? 

I'm not sure I'd agree with the statement that Paladins are Fighter/Priests by default, but accepting this premise for the sake of argument: a Paladin/Priest could be the single best support class there is given that both classes have great support abilities which don't wholly overlap; Paladin/Fighter could be an amazing tank, combing the Paladin's innate superior defences with the Fighters various tank specific talents and abilities; Fighter/Priest could simply be a more traditional D&D style priest i.e. a decent front liner fighter who is also a good spellcaster.

Or Monk/Anyfighterclass? 

Well, many Monk builds already take Apprentice Sneak Attack (which will presumably be removed in favour of actual dual classing) so a Monk/Rogue already seems an obvious choice. A Monk/Fighter would have access to lots of abilities that don't require wounds to activate, which would be a useful addition. Monk/Barbarians speak for themselves if Carnage remains in the game.

• Like 1

- fighter/priest - no idea; but priest/fighter could be a combination of scaen sneak attack + minor avatar + again knockdowns and disciplined barrage.

If minor avatar and aggrandising radiance stays I'm going priest/barbarian so I can have all the carnage AoE in the world.

• Like 1

After watching the video update on multiclassing, I must say I like that each class combo has a unique name like they do in Grim Dawn.  Sorry, but little touches like that touches me in my special places.

Looking at your avatar it seems they are touching you right now. ~laughs~

• Like 1