Blarghagh

What will the US do with the Paris accords is a big question now.

We'll wipe our collective ass with it of course.

I was serious but ok. Climate change deniers will soon be at the wheel.

So was I. Pissed off coal people is a big reason Trump won.

WOD this morning I was also angry, confused and upset about the results, I started blaming anyone who voted for independent  candidates   because at that stage of the day I hadn't realized I had made several incorrect assumptions about this election...these included

• I had incorrect assumptions about why all  people supported Trump
  • I assumed Trump was the bigot he came across as 
  • I over estimated the reasons why people were supported him
  • I relied primarily on several  news channels for certain updates ( I feel sorry for some  the media as they got used to a certain degree)

I still support Hillary but she wasn't a strong enough candidate and I didnt realize how much frustration some people felt towards her 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It seems that 47% of eligible voters didn't bother to vote.  So at least there is lot of people that people can blame for next 4 years. No need for self-reflection  :sweat:

It also seems that only ethnicity group that matters in US is whites.
CwztOcgVIAMftXZ.jpg

Edited by Elerond

Hopefully she'll just be left in quiet, there's nothing to be gained from anything further and any legal attacks would just be vindictive.

No, it wouldn't be just vindictive. She only got off because Obola ordered his corrupt Justice Department to subvert the investigation. There was never a chance they would indict her. This miscarriage of justice must be corrected.

Chris Hagen

‏@chrishagentb

The Clinton Foundation has issued a brief statement: No Refunds. #election2016 #WheresHillary

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Hopefully she'll just be left in quiet, there's nothing to be gained from anything further and any legal attacks would just be vindictive.

No, it wouldn't be just vindictive. She only got off because Obola ordered his corrupt Justice Department to subvert the investigation. There was never a chance they would indict her. This miscarriage of justice must be corrected.

Chris Hagen

‏@chrishagentb

The Clinton Foundation has issued a brief statement: No Refunds. #election2016 #WheresHillary

Ah, justice like so many other principles is just a hammer to beat people with.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It seems that 47% of eligible voters didn't bother to vote.  So at least there is lot of people that people can blame for next 4 years. No need for self-reflection  :sweat:

CwztOcgVIAMftXZ.jpg

Source?

Anyhow, another interpretation:

wovgdo.png

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

CwztOcgVIAMftXZ.jpg

Source?

Anyhow, another interpretation:

http://brilliantmaps.com/if-only-x-voted/

Above maps are based on poll results before election not actual results.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Oh dear, hahaha. Why not blame the most obvious boogieman on the internet?

Edited by TrueNeutral
Removed photos for blatant and repeatedly circumventing the language filter; this election changed nothing in the board rules

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Chris Hagen

‏@chrishagentb

Yes, the criminals.

It's the damn Deplorables I tell you! http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016/the-unknown-country

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

To summarize:

I'm practically indifferent about Trump's victory.

But Hillary's defeat? Ding Dong! The witch is dead!

For a more broad commentary: liberal globalism is on its way out. Brexit was already a telling sign that the current system is rotten to the core and crumbling from within. It takes a particular brand of selective blindness not to notice how absurd that narrative has become.

Well, for those who were so silly  to think Brexit was a fluke, I raise you one Donald.

See you in the French presidential and Dutch parliamentary elections. Get acquainted with Le Pen and Wilders, you'll be seeing a lot of them for a while.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

You could hypothetically become president by winning something like 11 states by only 1 vote and not getting a single vote anywhere else

This is why I find the US system a bit odd, but hey, it's their playfield and they live with their choices and how they occur. Never really was interested in the mechanics, but it seems odd to me, that you can have such huge disparities between direct and indirect election method and for me it'd be logical that the indirect should move towards the direct one in terms of representation of results

To summarize:

I'm practically indifferent about Trump's victory.

But Hillary's defeat? Ding Dong! The witch is dead!

For a more broad commentary: liberal globalism is on its way out. Brexit was already a telling sign that the current system is rotten to the core and crumbling from within. It takes a particular brand of selective blindness not to notice how absurd that narrative has become.

Well, for those who were so silly  to think Brexit was a fluke, I raise you one Donald.

See you in the French presidential and Dutch parliamentary elections. 

you might add to that German elections and Italian ones ;)

Chris Hagen

‏@chrishagentb

Yes, the criminals.

It's the damn Deplorables I tell you! http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/opinion/election-night-2016/the-unknown-country

Right, cute and all. It's a very common trait, think those stereotypical Christians that just preach but don't practice. Even more so when you have people that always boast of integrity.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is this correct? It seems that Hillary would win by 0.12% point if the election was a direct election?

Yes, not sure of the exact numbers because it seems they are still counting votes

As of 9 AM it was less than 200k votes and trending towards 0. This was a really, really close election.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It will be interesting to see what happens when Trump voters get the same sense of abject disappointment democrats did after 4 years of Obama.

No great 'Change', no revolution, very little of what was promised. Just business as usual. They don't seem the forgiving sort. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It was nowhere near close if you take into account how pervasive the anti-trump propaganda was.

To win against those odds is akin to winning with a 30 point difference in a game of basketball, a smashing success across the board.

• Like 3

Thanks for the laughs, Nate Silver:

IfGGcRo.jpg

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You could hypothetically become president by winning something like 11 states by only 1 vote and not getting a single vote anywhere else

This is why I find the US system a bit odd, but hey, it's their playfield and they live with their choices and how they occur. Never really was interested in the mechanics, but it seems odd to me, that you can have such huge disparities between direct and indirect election method and for me it'd be logical that the indirect should move towards the direct one in terms of representation of results

I think that's the entire point of the electoral college system. To prevent population-rich states from dictating federal policy by virtue of having more voters. For better or worse it's working as intended.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It was nowhere near close if you take into account how pervasive the anti-trump propaganda was.

To win against those odds is akin to winning with a 30 point difference in a game of basketball, a smashing success across the board.

This is something I'd been pondering.  The sheer, mind boggling level of bias against Trump (he's a Hitler!) makes his victory even more surprising.

How is the electoral system correcting that? The electors are the sum of representatives and senators of which only senators are chosen on an equal basis. Representatives are chosen on the basis of population and they make up the  majority of a state's electors (apart from the 7 smallest states).

So barring that small adjustment, it is the population numbers that dictate the results of the election.

I think that's the entire point of the electoral college system. To prevent population-rich states from dictating federal policy by virtue of having more voters. For better or worse it's working as intended.

But wouldn't the proportional mechanics be better in general than simple winner takes it all? I mean there was a lot of near 50/50 splits and the winner just took all votes from that place... I guess I can understand it if you treat each state as a separate entity, so the state declares that their president is that person, but I am not familiar on how the political system works exactly in US of A.

This is something I'd been pondering.  The sheer, mind boggling level of bias against Trump (he's a Hitler!) makes his victory even more surprising.

It also helped make his voting base dedicated to the bitter end, so well done with that.

I also find it hard to take at face value the liberal media's claim that they're on the "right side of history" when this very morning, on the website of the Guardian (a supposedly quality newspaper) was a cartoon which featured two "Trump voters", one of which was wearing a KKK hood and the other had a t-shirt with the words: "journalist. rope. hang" and IIRC holding up a noose.

To be "better" means actually behaving according to higher standards, not just having a high opinion of oneself and labeling everyone else as trash.

Guess that's something to ponder for the next 4 years.

• Like 2

How is the electoral system correcting that? The electors are the sum of representatives and senators of which only senators are chosen on an equal basis. Representatives are chosen on the basis of population and they make up the  majority of a state's electors (apart from the 7 smallest states).

So barring that small adjustment, it is the population numbers that dictate the results of the election.

Wyoming, which has population bit less than 600k has three electoral votes, so about 1 vote per 200k people

California, which has population of about 39 145 000 has 55 electoral votes, which is about 1 vote per 700k people.

• Like 1