What You Did Today

Gorth

Not hateful, that was practical advice for a potential plan. They do it via subways here a lot, which is awful as they give the drivers PTSD from it. Rather selfish, when you think about it.

Listen, I don't know if you're playing dumb or legitimately so, but do not joke about such a thing with someone who mentions they're depressed.

I'm not someone that would act on that (at least I don't think), but plenty would. If someone were to kill themselves because you or someone else made a comment like that? That's negligence at it's absolute worst, so I don't care how seriously you take someone when they talk about depression or suicide, do not make remarks like that. If you can't say anything else, don't say anything period.

Why shouldn't he joke about it ? Does Malc have such impact on your life that if he says " you must kill yourself " then you may do it? Is he that influential in your decisions ?

Really ? People have been telling me to kill myself since 2001, its just words and it should be irrelevant.  Toughen up son, its the Internet

" and the whole Internet  is a stage and all people mere actors "  :dancing:  :dancing:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I expected more than 15 years. Actually, a funny response to that in person is to say you will but you'll take them with you. :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why shouldn't he joke about it ? Does Malc have such impact on your life that if he says " you must kill yourself " then you may do it? Is he that influential in your decisions ?

Well he did say he was easily bothered by stupid things.

Longknife, take what you said about your psychologist here to him. Tell him that despite his apparent faith in you, you DON'T feel (like you're getting) better and that you need them to find a different approach. Psychiatrist's usually don't kick you out unless you let them. I've had similar experiences, generally they will try to find another way to get to it. I was told the same thing once, that I have the knowledge and skills required to beat this thing. But I was also so deep into it that even with that, I couldn't.

Now, I'm no psychiatrist but I have significant experience in being in therapy. Have you and your psychologist tried cognitive therapy? Because it sounds to me like you keep running into the same thought patterns to hold you back. Negative thought-patterns can stick with you for a long time even if you discredit them logically, because they pop up automatically and make you feel like **** first before you can use your counter-arguments and then arguing with your own brain is also a hugely energy and willpower consuming task. Cognitive therapy is based on slowly making the counter-arguments faster and more powerful, more automatic, take less effort.

Time to burn a Papist and set the night sky afire with fireworks, remember, remember the 5th of November and whatnot, tally ho!

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I hope teknoman doesn't turn into a strange cat hero/villain.

He has the name of a hero/villain already, so he's halfway there.
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

With regards to the matter of depression, I too suffer from depression (comes and goes in my case) and one thing that is worth pointing out is that people shouldn't underestimate how sensitive the state makes one to comments that may be interpreted in the least bit as mean-spirited, suicide-encouraging, and so on. It comes to a point where even the smallest remarks that may seem ambivalent or direct fills one with insecurities, self-doubting, fear of rejection and being despised, paranoia and so on. Sure, one won't kill themselves for being told by another to do so, but it can add up to a growing sense of suffering where that seems like the only reasonable thing to do. It's a horrible state to be in.

I'll also mention that in such situations it's best to avoid the internet altogether, because there'll always be that one person who'll post a cruel/cynical reply and tell you to "grow some skin". But we all know how hard it is to do just that (avoiding the internet, I mean), and sometimes you're also just looking for excuses to carry on feeling miserable. Best advice I can give about it is to not take things too seriously. Many comments are just spoken in passing, some even trying to cheer you up by injecting some humour and levity even through the darkest of means... It's crucial to understand not everyone thinks everything they say and write to that degree, they just say things without giving them much of a second thought. Best to try and let it slip by you, it takes an effort but you'll feel better in the end.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

True. I've done the whole how ****ing dare you you're messing with someone's life thing before, in my experience it's really just best to seethe internally and let it lie. Going into it usually just drags it out.

But you must let the hate flow through you, it gives you power (and it has 100% dental)

True. I've done the whole how ****ing dare you you're messing with someone's life thing before, in my experience it's really just best to seethe internally and let it lie. Going into it usually just drags it out.

But you must let the hate flow through you, it gives you power (and it has 100% dental)

They give you cookies *and* they care for your teeth? Sounds too good to be true.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Had another excellent dinner evening with Bronwynn, she is very fit and is doing a 5 km fun run tomorrow. Its good she is into fitness because that will help motivate me around my own cardio training  :geek:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I soloed Cail the silent on hard with an lvl8 chanter. Those who play Pillars will understand. Other than that I needed to finish some work. In retrospektive, seems like an eventless day.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Bumped into another girl I quite like.  She seemed genuinely happy to see me, suggested some anime for me to watch.  I'd kinda given up on her because she practically ignores me online but she always perks up around me in real life, calls to me from across the street if she sees me.  

Like Shady says, I should bite the bullet and ask one of these girls out, if only to stop myself constantly wondering how they feel  :wacko:

• Like 5

I hope teknoman doesn't turn into a strange cat hero/villain.  

nah, it wasn't a radioactive cat

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Apparently my office is going to be doing Tesla's insurance replacement business.

Which requires we own and rent Tesla's

:dancing:

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Drove my uncle and aunt to the airport, big mistake. My back is really killing me now to the point that I want to break my own neck just to not feel it.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, I don't know where they come from but they sure do come

I hope they comin' for me

And I don't know how they do it but they sure do it good

I hope they're doin' it for free

They give me cat scratch fever

Cat scratch fever

Pfft, you guys don't need to worry unless you see puss or a red line running up your arm. :lol:

Today is Sunday so that means I'll be furiously busting out my chores for the week; groceries, laundry. Then settle in for some football and garage drinking.

I have  just been to gym, first time in 2 months so I'm clearly not that fit  :-

But it went well, I did my 60 minutes of cardio. I'm not  pushing it on the cardio disciplines and for the next 7 sessions I'll just be getting back into the training regime 

• Like 2

John Milton 

Ok, I made my blog and we recorded the first podcast today.  I've posted it on the site, now I just need to figure out how to post it on iTunes and other stuff.  I've had fun with it.   :)

https://historyofhops.com/

Very nice! I dig the podcast, its always fun to me to hear the voice(s) behind the avatar. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Woke up today thinking it was Saturday, sadly it isn't so back to work tomorrow. Ruined my whole day!

I try to remember that there is only Monday and days that lead to Monday

• Like 2

Ok, I made my blog and we recorded the first podcast today.  I've posted it on the site, now I just need to figure out how to post it on iTunes and other stuff.  I've had fun with it.   :)

... Can we also do an Obsidian "argue about games" podcast? :p

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

While I don't really have the passion for Hops that you do, I really liked listening to it. It was very cozy to listen to it. There was a couple of times when you two spoke in each others mouths that I could'nt hear a single word that was said, but I'm in the extreme spectrum since I have a hearing impairment.

Hope to hear more! :)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken