What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

Played batman: Arkham Origins for most of the day. I do like it but combat feels somehow worse than City and Asylum. I'm probably not doing any of the challenge rooms and I will go nowhere near the flying AR missions but I will try do do everything else.

Yeah well, it's nothing special but it is there. In the Deus Ex reboots you can run up to anything short of a mech or exo suit, press the button, and win just like that every time, no excitement about the outcome. Actually I don't know if you can win button mechs or exo suits, never tried. 

I'm pretty sure it didn't work like that in Dishonoured. 

:brows:

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Dishonored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZgnXjXk2N0

Based on state of alertness of an opponent and relative position of opponent and player, it tried to choose the most relevant animation. Failing that, the game just let the strike connect and do damage. It looked a bit awkward at times, nonetheless it's a significantly better approach than what the new Deus Ex games do.

Dishonored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZgnXjXk2N0

Based on state of alertness of an opponent and relative position of opponent and player, it tried to choose the most relevant animation. Failing that, the game just let the strike connect and do damage. It looked a bit awkward at times, nonetheless it's a significantly better approach than what the new Deus Ex games do.

It doesn't look like you can fail for more than a second, just hit the button again and you will succeed. I mean if they are facing you weapons drawn, there should be no insta kills. There is a lot of potential for expanded gameplay here if you could parry or dodge. I guess an extended duel Tekken style doesn't lend itself very well to the first person perspective, but there are certainly options for doing more with it.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Anybody knows anything about Halcyon 6? Steam recommendation thingy just recommended it to me and it looks pretty great, I've never even heard it existed before tho. Apparently it came out of Early Access today.

There is a lot of potential for expanded gameplay here if you could parry or dodge. I guess an extended duel Tekken style doesn't lend itself very well to the first person perspective, but there are certainly options for doing more with it.

Usually, you must do all of these things, the person playing in that video is just insanely good at the game (and at exploiting the AI) - most of the time, if you just try to attack an opponent, he'll block your attack and the only reliable way of hitting them in face to face combat is either with a ranged weapon (altho the bastards start wiggling around when they see you draw a gun) or by blocking and counter attacking properly. A well-timed parry and riposte is the only way to get the insta-kill, or by hitting enemies in the neck while they're drawing their weapons (or if you manage to stun them in some other way - like shooting them in their legs). The combat system in Dishonored is rather excellent and quite deep actually. It's just a shame that timing blocks is not particularly difficult and if you fail, you don't get punished too harshly, so it's not too difficult anyway (that's not taking magic into account, while actively using that, you're basically unstoppable, which is a real shame.) I suppose there's a reason why I prefer to play that game without killing anyone and without getting noticed

Edited by Fenixp

I remain unconvinced of the issues you bring up with tye takedowns due to the simple fact that the energy cost is IMO generally too much vs. Using a stun gun on tranq rifle. Worth it when you do it from cover and pull them in there.

Oh, and actually on-topic. Now doing the second run of dxmd, as I have a better idea of what consumables to use or save etc. Enjoying it more, as my initial playthrough was bifurcated by the alps...

Same.  For instance, I constantly seemed to run out of biocells my fist time through.  This time, I've got 25 in my inventory and haven't had an issue replenishing them.

Yeah, Biocells were what I was mostly thinking of, too. I didn't use a single grenade in my first playthrogh, either...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I remain unconvinced of the issues you bring up with tye takedowns due to the simple fact that the energy cost is IMO generally too much vs. Using a stun gun on tranq rifle. Worth it when you do it from cover and pull them in there.

Oh, and actually on-topic. Now doing the second run of dxmd, as I have a better idea of what consumables to use or save etc. Enjoying it more, as my initial playthrough was bifurcated by the alps...

Same.  For instance, I constantly seemed to run out of biocells my fist time through.  This time, I've got 25 in my inventory and haven't had an issue replenishing them.

Yeah, Biocells were what I was mostly thinking of, too. I didn't use a single grenade in my first playthrogh, either...

I used most of my mines on the only boss fight in the entire game...talk about a comical lackluster ending.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The weird thing is the 'ending' could be different depending on the order you did stuff.  It felt lit should end with Marchenko, but I ended up fighting him first before I rescued the board.

Yes but it was really more of a writing thing, or maybe a management thing. It is very clear that the game simply got cut off at that point, from the writing and the rhythm you can infer that it was meant to continue.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

World quests in WoW was a good idea, sure is a lot to do now which is good for the game overall. Shame the people I have to heal are such asses most of the time

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I had 200 rounds of shotgun ammo I had been hoarding for the entire game. Turns out shotguns have a chance to stun, he went down eventually. I don't think he died from all that. Jensen said something like 'that will keep him down for a while'. Maybe just a bad action movie pun, or they intend to have him in the DLCs. Maybe the shotgun stun counted as non lethal since he had on the polygonal armor the whole time. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I own Halcyon 6, but I haven't played it yet.  Seems like a cool concept so I backed it.

Well what are you waiting for, there's money that needs spendin'. ... Alternatively, I could just read user reviews which place it at mere 94% positive. I suppose there's a slim chance it's not terrible.

• Like 1

I threw a half-dozen during the opening mission alone. None of them intentionally, of course...

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Played batman: Arkham Origins for most of the day. I do like it but combat feels somehow worse than City and Asylum. I'm probably not doing any of the challenge rooms and I will go nowhere near the flying AR missions but I will try do do everything else.

Beat the game, now I am mopping up side stuff.

I have survived the Death Road and thus been granted Canadian citizenship.

The game is in a reasonable state. I'd watched a number of Let's Plays of it before buying it, and though they all failed to a man, I picked up enough useful tips to be able to beat the endgame without losses. I'd still say the final siege is a bit unfair but through stockpiling basically my entire run's worth of ammo and managing to field a full squad near the end, I managed to blast my way through. The FTL comparison is apt because the final battle is really on a different curve to the rest of the game, but if anything I'd say this is a bit fairer than FTL ever was.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G