What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

Prefer turn based combat, but it can get tedious. Plus, lack of patient in my dotage. In Mordheim, I just go hang out on the interwebs and listen to stuff. Can't entirely blame the game. I set up redoubts and wait a lot. If you play the patience game, you can't complain about the need to wait.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

I got murdered right outside Cyseal and put the game away for a while before trying again and discovering there is an order which direction you should take out of the city. Basically from left to right otherwise you get murdered by higher level people.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Even Blackguards had less torturous turn based combat.

Bull, Blackguards had you suffer for nothing. At least with D:OS you could end up being an overpowered mage. They both suck because some dev decide to have an enemy to companion ratio that was unreasonable. But what can you expect from  nostalgia geeks that don't realize how many flaws their favorite games had.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A single level in the game makes a huge difference to player power. In the early game particularly, missing out on XP, for example, by having one character dead during a fight while the rest of the party kills an enemy, is a big deal. This combined with no level scaling at all means you have to be very meticulous in the order in which you tackle the quests, which unfortunately often means just scouting each area and finding the one place where the enemy levels match yours.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

A single level in the game makes a huge difference to player power. In the early game particularly, missing out on XP, for example, by having one character dead during a fight while the rest of the party kills an enemy, is a big deal. This combined with no level scaling at all means you have to be very meticulous in the order in which you tackle the quests, which unfortunately often means just scouting each area and finding the one place where the enemy levels match yours.

I'm sorry but are you talking about Blackguards or D:OS?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Well, while we're on the topic, just beat D:OS on the PS4 last night, and after 67 hours, I have to say that I'm quite happy and pleased overall with the experience.  The combat has been good fun, story has been pretty decent and the overall look and sound of the game has been great.  I do not share the same feelings as those here that dislike it, however everyone has their own opinion for sure and I'm cool with that.  I will say that it does have me quite excited for the release of the early access of D:OS 2 coming up.  

Playing a little Darkest Dungeon, because I haven't touched it since it actually "released."  Not too much else. Just happy to have completed another game which with my time schedule, family, real-life, I'm always happy about. :no:

• Like 1

all this talk makes me want to replay Fallout 2

This came out fairly recently, English version of it anyway. Can't vouch for English writing as I'm playing it in Czech (and even that's not too great) but it's finally a big chunk of Fallout after Fallout 2 released.

Playing a little Darkest Dungeon

Masochistic tendencies are the best kinds of tendencies. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

all this talk makes me want to replay Fallout 2

This came out fairly recently, English version of it anyway. Can't vouch for English writing as I'm playing it in Czech (and even that's not too great) but it's finally a big chunk of Fallout after Fallout 2 released.

The English translation is good. I didn't find any glaring errors, but I'm not a native speaker.

As for the writing itself, I thought it was surprisingly good, especially for a fan project. It's a bit wordy at times, which seems to be a common feature of fan productions, but the tone, characters and plot are clearly set up to be reminiscent of FO1. None of the over-the-top silliness of FO2 or grandiose self-infatuation of FNV, that I can remember.

I liked it very much.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

... grandiose self-infatuation of FNV ...

blasphemy!

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Trying to 100% New Super Mario Bros 2, mop up Pushmo and start on Ocarina of Time before GTA Chinatown Wars and Ghost Trick arrive from ebay.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

All right, I got a good deal on Mankind Divided so I thought "The heck not?" and I'm getting into the bloody thing. Writing is... I would like to see a making of video because I'd swear dialogues were written by monkeys running up and down across keyboard with occasional intersection of an actual writer who really didn't care about his job and just wanted to go home - you know, whoever wrote dialogue lines for Adam.

The best moments are from the train station bombing where my thoughts essentially went along the lines of "Adam, don't help the yelling kid, he's probably fine. Adam, don't... Ah, whatever, there's actually a woman buried there. Oh look, she lost consciousness, you should probably use your superhuman strength to get her out of... No? Oh okay, you won't. You'll just ... Put on your sunglasses. Right, moving swiftly on."

On the flipside, various e-books, emails and generally stuff that's not dialogue is really cool and adds a lot to the world, if you're willing to buy into the whole "Augumented people are the suppressed minority" theme, which is rather weird in and of itself (the whole racism analogy is so in your face it's crazy, it's quite apparent that it's there to try and raise controversy as opposed to advancing narrative in any meaningful manner.)

Speaking of worldbuilding - Prague is gorgeous. One of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, quest hub I've ever seen in a game, and the amount of stuff you can explore in there is unreal. Some of it are reused rooms or even entire flats with different furnishings, but that's actually how many of these flats were built so that's fine I suppose.

One thing I found tho is that people in Prague are obsessed with two things: booze and trash bins. We already covered the sheer variety of booze in the game, but the trash bins... Adam's apartment alone contains 3 of them, and it's like 4 rooms large. Every single apartment has at least 2-3 trash bins in it for some bizarre reason, and some office desks come as an asset bundle with a desk that has a regular trash bin and a recycling trash bin beneath itself. I mean... Look at it, they don't even have space for legs down there, but at least offices are clean, right?

aySygSg.jpg

More like trash... Bin... Ity Divided, am I right? Am I ... Nevermind.

Oh right, UI - what made me really happy is that I can either disable entire UI or make it contextual. Bye-bye irritating cheat-o-map, I'm not gonna miss you. Well aside from the crouch indicator. It's essential for the crouch indicator to always be there when I stand up or crouch.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

If the offices actually *would* be clean. But they aren't. These people, they got all of them trash bins (probably government funded) and they aren't even using them!

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I suppose Prague's administration is trying to solve the issues with cleanliness the same way I did in Cities: Skylines - throw money at it and hope it'll get better. Anyway, at least the trash bins go well with the game's theme, there's a clear divide between the smaller, blue trash bin and the African European trash bin.

Edit: Wait a minute, isn't calling it "Blue" racist? Should that be "Asphyxiated European" instead?

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I really wish I'd found the killswitch. I'm not looking forward to the Marchenko confrontation.

Where are you? There's a second chance in the last area, before the Choice...

Edit: next time, I'll look at the date.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Been playing quite a bit of multiplayer Armello recently. Partly because of the anniversary event that ends tomorrow. Partly because after some really bad game experiences, not only have the games and people become more pleasant, I am also winning - a lot. I think in the past ten days I have lost two games, laying 2-3 games a day.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I really wish I'd found the killswitch.  I'm not looking forward to the Marchenko confrontation.

I thought the fight was easy. Getting into the vents, one level up to the terminal. Befriend the turrets for a little distraction. Shoot down the flying robots with AP ammo. Then on top where the terminal is, is another vent- you can use it to quickly move "inside" and "outside" of the big hall, therefore making it so he can't reach you. Whenever he is confused and can't find you, shoot him with grenade launcher or AP ammo.

Got him down in 5 minutes or something.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I really wish I'd found the killswitch.  I'm not looking forward to the Marchenko confrontation.

I thought the fight was easy. Getting into the vents, one level up to the terminal. Befriend the turrets for a little distraction. Shoot down the flying robots with AP ammo. Then on top where the terminal is, is another vent- you can use it to quickly move "inside" and "outside" of the big hall, therefore making it so he can't reach you. Whenever he is confused and can't find you, shoot him with grenade launcher or AP ammo.

Got him down in 5 minutes or something.

Try fifteen seconds. Cloak, stun-gun, takedown. All the robits and turrets promptly blow up once he goes down.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

New Super Mario Bros 2 never seems to end, I'm 17 hours in and still unlocking new worlds. Its strange to see almost 50% of game content hidden away from the main "story" path in 2016. 

I finished off a 2euro platformer called Gunman Clive. Very pretty graphical design, rudimentary platforming gameplay. One and a half hour playtime. I felt it was worth it just for the graphical style alone - I wish I could take screenshots but the game doesn't have a miiverse community so the screenshot function doesn't work.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Satellite Reign

Ok, once you get past the idiosyncrasies of the game it gets really fun. Just had to learn to hide super well, not to try to manage everyone across different points of the map (missed opportunity but might try it once I buff up my characters) and the gentle art of not losing my **** in a firefight and organizing a retreat. It helps that I got some skill that actually make that viable.

village_idiot.gif