What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

Yes actually a game instead of a pointless larping aid.

*sigh* As per usual, God forbid people like things you dislike.

Anyway, The Witcher 3 is an excellent example of fantastical visual design of an open world - not only placement of individual structures made sense, what really got me were walls of various huts and structures adorned by drawings or illustrations, it looked so ... Life-like.

And then the darn game went and ruined it by monster/enemy placement which made next to no sense and minimal interactions between factions or wildlife. For such a life-like world, seeing encounter placement so remote from anything close to life was just sad.

I've not said anything about whether people can like something or not, stop overreacting man, we're only criticising games.

I quite liked the Witchers monster placement, in ruined and wild places only rather than roaming around freely in lands that were supposedly settled, gave the Witcher a reason for existing and wasn't handwaved away by having guards fighting monsters in lands they should have been driven out of with mans arrival. Now the levelling mechanic, that's another thing.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There was no minor loot every other step in Gothic 1/2. If I remember right, Oblivion and Skyrim are the culprits here.

well there were some hidden stashes here and there, but I liked it very much

But that's hardly the same as "loot every other step" :>

Let's make it one in three then.

A skeleton, 5-20 gold and a random junk item became the lazy copy/paste reward for killing 5 monsters.

And you were expected to collect it all just to pay for absurdly priced skill trainers.

I quite liked the Witchers monster placement, in ruined and wild places only rather than roaming around freely in lands that were supposedly settled, gave the Witcher a reason for existing and wasn't handwaved away by having guards fighting monsters in lands they should have been driven out of with mans arrival.

That monster placement also resulted in level 18 drowners palling around with level 3 bandits.

I've not said anything about whether people can like something or not, stop overreacting man, we're only criticising games.

I apologize, I take internet arguments far too seriously.

I quite liked the Witchers monster placement, in ruined and wild places only rather than roaming around freely in lands that were supposedly settled, gave the Witcher a reason for existing and wasn't handwaved away by having guards fighting monsters in lands they should have been driven out of with mans arrival. Now the levelling mechanic, that's another thing.

Yeah, that's another thing - most monsters should have been driven away by mans arrival. To be fair, my view of the game is strongly influenced by the books, where monsters didn't just roam colonized areas en mass - in fact, one of the main themes in the books was that Geralt had kind of an identity crisis since, for the most part, people didn't need witchers any longer. Guards could handle more common monsters and witchers were so effective at eliminating the rare ones that there wasn't many of them left. Edited by Fenixp

Which is why monsters mainly only roam openly in the No Man's Land of Velen, they're re-inhabiting an area man has mainly abandoned. Go north of the Pontar and they become rare again.

"Soon monsters may cease to be but sons of female dogs will always persist." If I remember the quote.

It also may be that another Conjunction is imminent, if I remember correctly mankind arrived around five centuries past, the Aen Seidhe five centuries before that, so the Conjunctional (is this a word?) creatures may be coming out of hiding.

Edit: Necrophages in particular of course, perfect conditions for propogation.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Go north of the Pontar and they become rare again.

Not nearly rare enough, sadly. Granted, roads actually are safe. Generally speaking tho, monsters are still way more common than they should be - they don't resemble an ecosystem in any way, just... Random groups of evil.

"Soon monsters may cease to be but sons of female dogs will always persist." If I remember the quote.

I didn't read the English version so I wouldn't know, but yes, there was something along the lines said in the books.

It also may be that another Conjunction is imminent, if I remember correctly mankind arrived around five centuries past, the Aen Seidhe five centuries before that, so the Conjunctional (is this a word?) creatures may be coming out of hiding.

Now that's a good point, I think it should be.

I'm pretty sure Elves left during the next conjunction, as mentioned in Condwiramurs' story - and her story seems to be taking place in not too distant future future from events of the Witcher. Then again, the game seems to be fairly happy to ignore some events from The Lady of the Lake, so uh... I don't know.

I thought people argued that in TW3, due to the war, the monsters "flourished" again or something.

I'm pretty sure that was said in the game itself, somewhere. It's kind of weird that there's far, far more necrophages than there's corpses. Edited by Fenixp

Go north of the Pontar and they become rare again.

Not nearly rare enough, sadly. Granted, roads actually are safe. Generally speaking tho, monsters are still way more common than they should be - they don't resemble an ecosystem in any way, just... Random groups of evil.

I didn't read the English version so I wouldn't know, but yes, there was something along the lines said in the books.

Now that's a good point, I think it should be.

I'm pretty sure Elves left during the next conjunction, as mentioned in Condwiramurs' story - and her story seems to be taking place in not too distant future future from events of the Witcher. Then again, the game seems to be fairly happy to ignore some events from The Lady of the Lake, so uh... I don't know.

I thought people argued that in TW3, due to the war, the monsters "flourished" again or something.

I'm pretty sure that was said in the game itself, somewhere. It's kind of weird that there's far, far more necrophages than there's corpses.

I disagree, north of the Pontar the monster placement seems about right.

The sorceresses left with the Elves and Nilfgaard triumphed if I recall correctly.

I didn't make the last quote, but the numbers seem quite large, I found bodies all over the place. Certainly didn't seem like they were fighting a war with a few men on either side, or anything silly like that. Plus there's the dead bodies rising as Drowners and such.

A level 40 earth golem guarding a chest containing a silver fork 10 meters away from a chest with a rusty knife guarded by a level 10 night hag.

Totally agree, the pointless padding of loot recycling, i've been complaining about this for years but everyone wants to farm inconsequential tat.

Tea for the teapot!

Totally agree, the pointless padding of loot recycling, i've been complaining about this for years but everyone wants to farm inconsequential tat.

It's funny how CDP got that right in the original game and just made it increasingly worse from there. It even made sense - skills in W1 were what was causing damage and good weapon could only apply percentage bonus (or debuff) to it.

"Do whatever you want" has been TES' core tenet from the very beginning, so it's pointless to compare.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

A level 40 earth golem guarding a chest containing a silver fork 10 meters away from a chest with a rusty knife guarded by a level 10 night hag.

This is why I always despised Elder Scrolls games.

I was ready to **** a brick when they did that to Witcher 2 as well. And the original design was elegant enough to begin with.

You have a hero, He has a sword. And another sword. You use them to kill monsters. Now piss off and get to it. 

What you found an axe? What are you, a lumberjack? Drop it! Drop it I said!

And the meteor pieces were there like they were embarrassed about it. "See we can give you 15% to your unimportant number if you're really really into it"

It worked so well.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

My internet is being such a bitch.  I don't know if it's my router, or if it's my PS4 wifi.  Half the time now it doesn't seem to want to connect, and the half it does connect the upload/download speeds are ridiculously slow. :getlost:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Uh...don't you have a PC and/or another wireless device to troubleshoot with?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You're confusing me with someone who isn't computer retarded.  I wouldn't have the first clue how to troubleshoot my Wifi issues.  My entire method of trying to fix my router or modem issues?  "Unplug/plug router and hope it works".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Can't remember a game that has pissed me off so thoroughly as Mordheim. Rat bastards. Even though I have won all but one mission, it's irritating as hell. I've decided to do what that one bloke said about not taking missions where I can't keep my people together. Great fun anyway.

• Like 1

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Same advice for Incubation. keep your men to cover each other or they die like flies.

Maybe I should buy Mordheim.

/edit: when I had my Windows phone I never understood what troubles the people had with autocorrect. Now that I am using an Android mobile I am beginning to understand.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

yeah, you can take a brutal mission choosing where you start either spread or tight around your cart, but random and you're just asking for a bruising. Even if you win, you get people knocked out with possible permanent injuries or death.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

You're confusing me with someone who isn't computer retarded.  I wouldn't have the first clue how to troubleshoot my Wifi issues.  My entire method of trying to fix my router or modem issues?  "Unplug/plug router and hope it works".

I see. Well, if you need help figuring that out, it wouldn't hurt to ask in the tech section, :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.