What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

I'll vote Geralt the worst because I tried to read the books. When I see them on bookstore shelves I still get shivers. Not the good kind of shivers.

Ah they weren't that bad. I didn't read them (granted a bunch were fan translations) expecting much but they were a fun read.

I mean I read Brian Herbert's stuff so I do know bad when I see it :p

I would go with Jensen. Shades == dbag

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Brian Herbert I threw in the recycling bin.

The only reason he is not the target of a class action lawsuit by fans of the original book, is that during the trial all his lawyer would need to do is produce a copy of Chapterhouse Dune and ask: "Is what my client did truly that much worse?"

Granted, the answer would still be yes, and the verdict guilty.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Still trudging through X-Men Legends 2. I really should just abandon it, but that would put me on bad footing when I trying to play through Ultimate Alliance 1.

Of course, I'll wait to do UA1 and instead do Ace Attorney 6 that came out today or Muv-Luv. I hear great things about both.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Beat deus ex MD and the extra mission. Preorder mission's more like "cut for pacing" stuff than anything that actually needed to be in the game, unlike the last time. Fun game, but the story arc does indeed advance so little that it's almost comical. That said, the mechanics and level design are absolutely brilliant, possibly the best in the series (I kid you not).

Hopefully they won't take another six years for the next installment. Gonna be set in an altrnate past soon.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The only reason he is not the target of a class action lawsuit by fans of the original book, is that during the trial all his lawyer would need to do is produce a copy of Chapterhouse Dune and ask: "Is what my client did truly that much worse?"

Kevin J. Anderson wrote the books, Brian Herbert just provided the material and raked in the cash.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Kevin J. Anderson wrote the books, Brian Herbert just provided the material and raked in the cash.

And they're actually pretty good if you can take your fanboy glasses off.

• Like 1

What the hell is so good about them?

Did laugh when either Anderson or Herbert bemoaned the lack of action in the later books when a planet gets glassed.

Hm..reminds me I need to find that old co-worker that was bored by the first book....

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Beat deus ex MD and the extra mission. Preorder mission's more like "cut for pacing" stuff than anything that actually needed to be in the game, unlike the last time. Fun game, but the story arc does indeed advance so little that it's almost comical. That said, the mechanics and level design are absolutely brilliant, possibly the best in the series (I kid you not).

Hopefully they won't take another six years for the next installment. Gonna be set in an altrnate past soon.

In Deus Ex I remember that you could throw laser triggered bombs onto walls and jump on top of them giving you a tiny perch from which you could throw another and recover the lower one and so on bypassing the tiles that were blocked, then jumping straight onto the exit tiles bypassing the first city hub and possibly breaking the game. It's not really advisable and a difficult feat as well but you have to try it at least once. 

We were kinda missing the introduction of the bad guys that will graduate into boss fights this time around. The big bald guy with the three eyes didn't do it for me. In the first game they start out as your allies, then you have to either escape or kill them, and what's good about it is that there are options for both. In Deus Ex city hubs were not much larger than the mission maps, but there were a LOT of mission maps and they were well made. I find i prefered it this way. I got tired of Prauge eventually, and yes, it didn't really feel like you accompilised anything at the end other than reacting to what was put in front of you. Best gameplay experience ? I dunno, it's certainly good but for sheer gameplay the takedown is still a 'win button' mechanic and a cop out. Bring back melee attacks and melee weapons. 

Between that and the consolficiation of certain features I guess a lot of people would call it the second best Deus Ex game and I would tend to agree.  Those that are old enough to remember the first game anyway.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I made it through God Emperor of Dune and kind of had enough right there. First three captivated me. But God Emperor just got kind of... is wanky the right word? I don't even remember the book having a conflict, just an inevitable conclusion where everything is going as planned. Sounds like I didn't stop too terribly early then.

On my second play through of Mankind of Divided.

This time I decided to go for the Orchid info in the bank vault instead of saving the bomber.  Interesting info on Megan Reed this time that I didn't know about when I chose the other path in my first play through.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In Deus Ex I remember that you could throw laser triggered bombs onto walls and jump on top of them giving you a tiny perch from which you could throw another and recover the lower one and so on bypassing the tiles that were blocked, then jumping straight onto the exit tiles bypassing the first city hub and possibly breaking the game. It's not really advisable and a difficult feat as well but you have to try it at least once. 

We were kinda missing the introduction of the bad guys that will graduate into boss fights this time around. The big bald guy with the three eyes didn't do it for me. In the first game they start out as your allies, then you have to either escape or kill them, and what's good about it is that there are options for both. In Deus Ex city hubs were not much larger than the mission maps, but there were a LOT of mission maps and they were well made. I find i prefered it this way. I got tired of Prauge eventually, and yes, it didn't really feel like you accompilised anything at the end other than reacting to what was put in front of you. Best gameplay experience ? I dunno, it's certainly good but for sheer gameplay the takedown is still a 'win button' mechanic and a cop out. Bring back melee attacks and melee weapons. 

Between that and the consolficiation of certain features I guess a lot of people would call it the second best Deus Ex game and I would tend to agree.  Those that are old enough to remember the first game anyway.

Is the suggestion here that I am not old enough to remember the original? Trust me, I am. It also used to be the game I had the most completions in before Mass Effect 2.

Anyway, I'm not sure how your examples of breaking the game are examples of brilliance, tbh. Deus Ex had a lot of kludgy design elements

Deus Ex had the riot prod, which was basically the same thing as the takedowns.

So, while I agree with you in that the original was, at least when the evolution of the games industry is considered, the better game (in fact it's probably still my best of all time), I still believe that from the point of view of actual design vs. happy coincidences of emergent gameplay, dxmd is better.

Deus Ex: GMDX mod. I have just had a Spider Bot sneak up on me from above on the ceiling, I was shocked looked all around in a panic, finally spotted it and tried to run for my life while activating my energy shielding. I instead pressed my throw LAM key and blew myself up.

#NotAugmentedEnough.

Edit: A bomb!

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Oh, and actually on-topic. Now doing the second run of dxmd, as I have a better idea of what consumables to use or save etc. Enjoying it more, as my initial playthrough was bifurcated by the alps...

Oh, and actually on-topic. Now doing the second run of dxmd, as I have a better idea of what consumables to use or save etc. Enjoying it more, as my initial playthrough was bifurcated by the alps...

Same.  For instance, I constantly seemed to run out of biocells my fist time through.  This time, I've got 25 in my inventory and haven't had an issue replenishing them.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Been playing along in the mercs campaign into Mordheim.  comlete opposite of the sisters.  They have no ranged except spell casting.  Heavily armoured and slow, the sisters would get into redoubts where they could take enemies two or three on one and present small targets to enemy range.  Mercs try to get archers into elevated spots and shoot bodkin head arrows into approaching enemies.  Virtually everyone in the merc band has ranged secondary weapon and each of them has used it effectively.  Castingwise, the sisters were all about a strong ranged comet single target attack and area healing.  That healing was central to many many victories with the sisters.  One battle had matriarch and two purifiers with healing and Bertha had a healing spell too.  Mercs don't seem to have healing.  The single target spell is more expensive but can get fireball for area damage also, which will make things interesting.

I need to get some armour on my warriors.  Just fought a battle against chaos and those bastards hit my unarmoured lads hard!  Didn't lose anyone, but a wakeup call anyway.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Well, last night I finally got my Titan up to level 40 in Destiny, which a light level around 220.  So, quite a bit to go to raise that up, but I'm enjoying it here and there.  Am nearing finished with the Phantom Forest of Divinity: OS and am going to head into the Source Temple on the PS4 and still loving the game.  Started a new character on Grim Dawn and just tooling around trying to level up to see some of the new content and picked up Ember since it released today and looks pretty good overall.  Should look into purchasing some "time" to accommodate my playtime in the future lol.

Tempted by Grim Dawn.  Got it in my head that Grim Dawn was Warhammer 40K so I went to look.  Since the SSI games, Don't think any Warhammer 40k in a turn based strategy format.  Searched Grim Dawn and like the looks.  Site say action rpg.  Is it a diablo action rpg sort?  Alluring, but resisting the temptation for now.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Yes, it's click, click, click. Edit: Also, if you don't get to a portal, you'll have to come back from the nearest portal, it doesn't save in-between. And with missions, you have to come back to the mission (with all enemies respawned, it doesn't save mid-mission). Although it does save all your loot and XP, just not the location.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Is the suggestion here that I am not old enough to remember the original? Trust me, I am. It also used to be the game I had the most completions in before Mass Effect 2.

Anyway, I'm not sure how your examples of breaking the game are examples of brilliance, tbh. Deus Ex had a lot of kludgy design elements

Deus Ex had the riot prod, which was basically the same thing as the takedowns.

So, while I agree with you in that the original was, at least when the evolution of the games industry is considered, the better game (in fact it's probably still my best of all time), I still believe that from the point of view of actual design vs. happy coincidences of emergent gameplay, dxmd is better.

Deus Ex had an electric sword, and batons and whatnot and an actual melee attack system other than a cutscene. I kinda assume people on here are old enough to have played Deus Ex. It would probably be too ugly to look at for someone going from Mankind Divided though. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

And an actual melee attack system other than a cutscene.

*slash*

*ugh*

*slash*

*ugh*

*slash*

*ugh*

*slash*

*AMGGGRRRH*

I think calling it an actual melee attack system is rather generous. Then again, learning where to hit the bastards with a baton to take them down was rather challenging. I'm still not entirely sure what's up with the cutscenes by the way, if Dishonored could do it properly, I'm pretty sure Deus Ex can too.

• Like 1

Yeah well, it's nothing special but it is there. In the Deus Ex reboots you can run up to anything short of a mech or exo suit, press the button, and win just like that every time, no excitement about the outcome. Actually I don't know if you can win button mechs or exo suits, never tried. 

I'm pretty sure it didn't work like that in Dishonoured. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

You can takedown exo suits if you stun them first. EMP or stun gun.