The US Election 2016, Part IV

Rosbjerg

The media is evil are Nazis. They claim to be pro speech but  only support it if it is convientent to them. This goes for either side. Doesn't matter if it is CNN, BBC, or Fox. Same **** different pile.

They accuse Trumpo of being sexist because he said mean things to a woman ignoring a few facts: a) he is also mean towards men and b) he has no issue hiring women, promoting women , and defending women.

They support Hillary yet ignore the fact she has never done anything to help women in a genuine way and actually laughs at female rape victims and is pro rape.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well the crazy thing is I see Johnson as more liberal than Clinton.  Legalize pot, pro-immigration, anti-war?  Sounds like every liberal arts student ever. 

Until you get to the tax and regulation part. And gun control. And free speech, Federalism, and education. But that is the nice thing about the LP. It's got half a sandwich for everyone!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Interesting take: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/05/how-paul-krugman-made-donald-trump-possible.html

His convention was called “one of the worst ever.” Chris Matthews deemed him “dangerous” and “scary,” Ellen DeGeneres said “If you’re a woman, you should be very, very scared.” His opponent ran an ad against him portraying him as uniquely dangerous for women. “I’ve never felt this way before, but it’s a scary time to be a woman,” said a woman in the ad. He was frequently called a “bully,” “anti-immigrant,” “racist,” “stupid,” and “unfit” to be president. I’m referring, obviously, to the terrifying Mitt Romney.

That is a interesting article, it raises some relevant points but I dispute the core message or several core points for example

" The media bear a lot of responsibility for the creation of Trump, and treating all Republican presidential candidates as if they’re a danger to American society is just one way they’ve done it. It’s unlikely that the media are going to en-masse recognize their bias, but perhaps if the Trump campaign has taught the media anything, it’s to ratchet down the rhetoric so that words mean something again "

What amazes me is that even in the USA the media gets unfairly blamed or there contribution towards a certain social dynamic is exaggerated

The media did not create Trump or encourage his rise to the Republican candidacy, this is a spurious assessment. Trump was strategic and had his 5-6 political objectives right from the beginning, the media would naturally discuss any view any candidate may have but because Trump was so contriversial of course he had media focus

You cannot blame the media for reporting on a story, if anything Trump used the media to gain significance

Also Romney was no where seen globally in the same negative light as Trump, the worst and most memorable thing he must have said was the 47 % comment about people wanting handouts from government. So yes he was seen as a wealthy, callous elitist but he never created the offense Trump has

Romney was not the problem for the GOP, he never was .....Trump has created the real issues

The problem is as the column pointed out, Romney was portrayed as this terrible, anti-American villain. As was McCain, Bush before him, Dole before him, Reagan before them. The media is so closely aligned with the left that every Republican candidate is described as the biggest threat to the future of the country since Hitler and so on. The problem is now we have a candidate who might actually deserve that description and no one is listening because the media has ruined it's own credibility. People read how terrible Trump is and think they've heard it all before. It's like the boy who cried wolf. When the wolf actually shows up no one believes him.

I understand the criticism but I think its unfair or inaccurate, for example ask any other forum member living outside the USA what they thought about Romney and how the media in their country portrayed him

I'll be surprised if most people will say he was seen as a villain or as controversial as Trump?

Bruce, if u actually lived here, GD is right on the money. It's gotten to the point that I don't take the media version at all and go straight to the source if I can.

Our media is very bias, VERY.

If it's an opponent against democrats, u will see and hear every mistake the opponent makes and watch ant hills become mountains. U will not see the same for their nominee. Ditto for the ones that are republican.

The problem is that if u wanna know about a opponent, u gotta watch both median and then STILL look at it urself because one side is either not saying anything at all or severely downplaying it or else embellishing and blowing it wayyyyy outta perportion.

• Like 1

Well the crazy thing is I see Johnson as more liberal than Clinton.  Legalize pot, pro-immigration, anti-war?  Sounds like every liberal arts student ever.

Until you get to the tax and regulation part. And gun control. And free speech, Federalism, and education. But that is the nice thing about the LP. It's got half a sandwich for everyone!

Yeah, open borders and open zippers.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Donald Trump and a C.I.A. Officer Walk Into a Room

The government is arranging classified intelligence briefings for Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump to prepare them for the White House. This longstanding practice of briefing nominees is controversial this year: Senator Harry Reid has urged the C.I.A. to give Trump a “fake” briefing, while House Speaker Paul Ryan has said Clinton can’t handle classified material. But what would a Trump briefing look like, anyway?

“Mr. Trump, I’m Gene Smith from the C.I.A.”

“Smith, huh? Is that your code name? You know, I know a huge amount about the C.I.A., more than most C.I.A. directors. A terrific, beautiful, very good organization.”

“Actually, Smith is my real name. Anyway, let’s get started with China and our assessment that Xi is much more aggressive than Hu.”

“She is more aggressive than who?”

“Exactly.”

“Well, I’d like to meet her. I like aggressive women. She sounds like a 10.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know. That aggressive woman.”

“I’m not sure I understand. Anyway, in China we assess with high confidence that Xi will continue this aggressive nationalistic ——”

“She sounds hot. No, I’m just joking. But, seriously, women love me.”

“Mr. Trump, Xi is a man, president of China.”

“She is a man? China’s president is trans? Boy, they’re more modern than I realized — I mean, I knew that. I know so much about China. You should see me use chopsticks! Did I ever tell you about this hot Chinese girl I once dated? She was so modern, and built like ——”

“Mr. Trump! We expect China will maintain its nationalistic claims in the South China Sea ——”

“Oh, don’t worry. I have lots of Chinese friends. I love Chinese food. Best pad Thai in the world at Trump Tower. So what’s your take, what do the Chinese think of me?”

“We assess with high confidence that the Chinese leadership wants you to win the election.”

“I’m not surprised. There are very, very bad reporters at completely and totally failing newspapers that nobody reads who say I might start a trade war. But China wants me to win the election! Amazing! So why does she want me to win, that transsexual president of theirs?”

“Xi is not trans! Xi would like you to win because alliance management is not your priority, and your presidency could lead to an unprecedented decline in U.S. influence.”

“Unprecedented! Amazing! So the Chinese think that I’d be unprecedented? Who else likes me?”

“Well, North Korea has already officially endorsed you, Mr. Trump. It called you ‘prescient’ and ‘wise.’”

“‘Present and wise!’ They love me! And Russia loves me, too. Putin and I go way back. We’re like this” — Trump knits his fingers together — “and after I’m elected I hope to finally meet him.”

“Yes, we believe that President Putin is backing you.”

“Putin the Pro. Not like Little Ukraine. Sad!”

“Well, Putin believes that NATO might collapse in your presidency and that he would have a freer hand in Ukraine and the Baltics.”

“The Baltics, I know them better than anybody! Melania is from Slovenia. Some people say I leaked those amazing pictures of her to The New York Post. Why would I do that? Did you see them? Here ——”

“Mr. Trump! And you mean the Balkans, even though Slovenia isn’t ——”

“Balkans, Baltics — I don’t get bogged down in details. I’m a strategy guy. Now what about ISIS? I know more about ISIS than the generals do. But I’d like to hear your take. Are they supporters?”

“We assess that they are supporting you in the belief that you help recruitment. Indeed, we fear that they may conduct a terror strike in hopes of helping you get elected.”

“Everybody’s supporting me! What about the Middle East? I’ll probably do a peace deal — I’m a terrific deal maker, you know that? I’ll probably get a Nobel Peace Prize to go with my new Purple Heart.”

“Well, sir, the Middle East is complicated ——”

“The Middle East is a complete and total disaster. They don’t respect us. What about nuclear weapons? If we have nukes, why not use em?”

“Sir, we only offer intel, not policy advice. But ——”

“Shouldn’t we just drop a few nukes on those Kurds?”

“The Kurds? In Syria, they’re our only effective ally.”

“They’re doing bad things. Very bad things. I saw it on a Sunday show.”

“Oh, you mean … the Quds Force?”

“Kurds, Quds, what’s the difference? If I give the order to bomb ’em, you guys can sweat the details. Call Mike Pence.”

“But you’re running to be ——”

“Anyway, tell me about internet security. I’m a little bored. How about we hack into the phone of Miss Sweden and check out her selfies? When I’m elected I’m going to have a whole team on that. …”

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Well they lost me on the open borders part but it would be a stretch to agree with any candidate 100%. If you ever see a "perfect" candidate let me know.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well they lost me on the open borders part but it would be a stretch to agree with any candidate 100%. If you ever see a "perfect" candidate let me know.

Destruction of America is a pretty important issue to disagree on.
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The destruction of the US will not come from outside it's borders. If it comes It will come from a plot of drained marsh land between Virginia and Maryland on the Potomac River. And of the political candidates that are able to win the Presidency in 2016 only one is talking about doing something that will decrease that threat. The other two are talking about empowering it further. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The destruction of the US will not come from outside it's borders. If it comes It will come from a plot of drained marsh land between Virginia and Maryland on the Potomac River. And of the political candidates that are able to win the Presidency in 2016 only one is talking about doing something that will decrease that threat. The other two are talking about empowering it further. 

I'll be honest, the chance of the USA being destroyed internally is as  likely as suggesting Mexico could invade the USA, defeat the USA militarily and make the USA part of Mexico

Its theoretically possible but highly unlikely 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll be honest, the chance of the USA being destroyed internally is as  likely as suggesting Mexico could invade the USA, defeat the USA militarily and make the USA part of Mexico

Its theoretically possible but highly unlikely 

I disagree. It is by far the most likely end of the US as a unified institution if that end does happen. All it would take is one heavy handed act by the government. Barack Obama has driven up more debt than all the 43 Presidents before him. Think about that for a minute. The US has been in a budgetary deficit since 2003. That is 13 years it has spent more than it has taken in. That will not change under either Clinton or Trump. The third rail of government, Social Security will be insolvent in a few years. The continued security and functionality of the US is a lot less stable than you might think. Now that does not mean the end of the road is close. This can still be fixed. But neither Clinton nor Trump is talking about spending less. Johnson is.  

The Federal Government nearly triggered an armed insurrection a few years ago in Nevada because it heavy-handedly escalated a grazing rights dispute that should have been handled in court. Instead that charged in, confiscated land and cattle and beat the hell out of and pointed weapons at anyone who objected. Next thing you know citizens were pointing weapons at them. I joke around here a bit but I want you to know I am being completely serious. If they ever decide to prohibit and confiscate firearms I will die they day them come for mine. And I will kill as many as I can before I do. 

It can happen very easily Bruce. That does not mean it will but the price of Liberty is eternal vigilance. And the biggest threat to our liberty has always been right here in our own borders.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Nearly every major empire in history has fallen from within and from the top down. The US will be no different if we don't stop overspending, decrease debt, strengthen the dollar, and get back to incentivizing hard work over welfare. Even Marxists of the past century knew America is too vigilant to outside threats.

Stefan Molyneux had a video on the fall of Rome this week. I've read similar books on the topic, but I still heard some new things. If you have a couple hours to listen... It's an interesting topic. It's a long video, but it is a pretty big topic.

https://youtu.be/qh7rdCYCQ_U

• Like 1

Concept itself isn't new in any way. Lets dig up our favourite demagogue on the subject: Cicero

Cicero-620x271.jpg

He said some other interesting things as well:

15049-cicero-quote.jpg

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

A nation without borders isn't a nation at all. A nation which treats everyone in the world the same as its own citizens makes citizenship meaningless. The politicians are busy replacing the voters, and no one seems to care.
  • Like 1

First they came  for the confederate flags, now they are coming for the Gadsen Flags (which by the way comes from the Revolutionary War and has nothing what-so-ever to do with racism). The United States Government had decided the Gadsen Flag is racist. https://beinglibertarian.com/federal-government-says-dont-tread-merchandise-harassment/

Next on the list your State Flag and any military service flags you might own.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

First they came for the confederate flags, now they are coming for the Gadsen Flags (which by the way comes from the Revolutionary War and has nothing what-so-ever to do with racism). The United States Government had decided the Gadsen Flag is racist. https://beinglibertarian.com/federal-government-says-dont-tread-merchandise-harassment/

They are considering it as your source says. Flag itself might be harmless but who knows the context of it.

From my limited observations, some people who fly that and act like some sort of uber patriot revolutionary badass always seem to be the type to say sand **** or hate the darkies.

Posting on mobile is hard :p

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

First they came for the confederate flags, now they are coming for the Gadsen Flags (which by the way comes from the Revolutionary War and has nothing what-so-ever to do with racism). The United States Government had decided the Gadsen Flag is racist. https://beinglibertarian.com/federal-government-says-dont-tread-merchandise-harassment/

They are considering it as your source says. Flag itself might be harmless but who knows the context of it.

From my limited observations, some people who fly that and act like some sort of uber patriot revolutionary badass always seem to be the type to say sand **** or hate the darkies.

Posting on mobile is hard :p

I have one. I don't check off any of those boxes. As for the context, it seems to me they are so sure of the almighty infallibility of the state that they can decide the context for themselves. Despite the fact the flag is not connected to racism in any way, we the almighty government have decided it's racist and if you have one or disagree then YOU are racist. Dissent will not be tolerated!

You know I can almost see the row over the Confederate Flag (although the St. Andrew's Cross flag was NOT the CSA flag but what the f--k ever) because it was turning up on State Government property. Fine, that probably is inappropriate. They went to far when they not just demanded it be removed from war memorials but the memorials themselves be removed. And by and large they (the left) is getting it's way. Now that they've taken that inch this is the next part of the ruler they want. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

http://www.businessinsider.com/hillary-clinton-biggest-lead-donald-trump-2016-8

Guys, good news

Clinton now has  a massive 15 point lead on Trump  :dancing:  :dancing:

I told you not to get too excited. November is a long way way in election time: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN10G2BQ

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

http://www.businessinsider.com/hillary-clinton-biggest-lead-donald-trump-2016-8

Guys, good news

Clinton now has  a massive 15 point lead on Trump  :dancing:  :dancing:

I told you not to get too excited. November is a long way way in election time: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN10G2BQ

:lol:

Okay, you right I musnt make assumptions  ....unless I am absolutely sure she will win and of course I cannot say that with 100 % certainty 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There are three debates coming up. One bad performance, just one might end one of their candidacies. Just ask Mike Dukakais. He ended his own bid with a bad debate. 

Thomas Sowell

In other news the Chicago Tribune has called for the CPD to include Gary Johnson: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-gary-johnson-libertarian-debate-edit-20160805-story.html

And Johnson/Weld has picked up their firs endorsement from a member of Congress: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/06/republican-rep-scott-rigell-says-he-supports-libertarian-gary-johnson-for-president/

Johnson/Weld is polling 2nd with voters under 30 of the 4 candidates and 1st in Active duty Military. Their "big 5" aggregate is 11.5% A little over a month to go to get that close to 15%.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell