The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

Just because I haven't seen anyone else mention it

Standing Rock Protests: Dogs, Mace Used On Peaceful Protestors

It's all over my social media but I also have a lot of friends and family that live on reservations or have tribal citizenship so I dunno how much play this is getting outside those circles

the level o' violence has been serious increasing in the past few months.  construction sites and cops is now using dogs.  is difficult to explain to a person who has never seen police dog bite wounds just how ugly the injuries is.  on the other hand, protesters is ramping up their efforts as their concerns is repeated ignored.  protest camp numbers range anywhere from hundreds to thousands and we got such stuff  as laser pointers aimed at patrol aircraft, pipe bombs and mounted protesters rushing police/security lines (that coulda' been very bad) becoming increasing common.  

this situation has been out-of-hand for months, but nobody is doing anything meaningful to prevent escalation.  

ps is a great deal o' misinformation at play, so am not genuine certain what is going on.  listen to the protesters and they got all kinda crazy conspiracy theories.  at the same time, you got state, fed and private hierarchies that clear ain't working together and is bumbling and stumbling their way towards catastrophe.

pps  we keep seeing the water removal claim from protester side and it does exemplify misinformation.  numbers o' protesters has swelled considerable.  there is a fed protected campsite where water and other resources is being provided.  unfortunately, protests ain't orderly.  a second campsite sorta spontaneous sprung up on army corps o' engineer land.  unfortunate, the response to protesters were not orderly. water tanks that were s'posed to be at the established site were accidental at the trespass site.  water trucks (but not all such water resources at the site) gets transferred away from the trespass site during a particular heated time (literal and figurative) and next thing you know we is hearing that the Fed is trying to shut down the protesters by shutting off water.

is a mess

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Update to my last post

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the hundreds of Native protestors who have joined them in rural North Dakota won a huge but provisional victory in their quest to stop the Dakota Access pipeline, as the U.S. government announced late on Friday afternoon that it was voluntarily halting work on the project.

The triumph tasted all the sweeter because it had followed so closely after a seemingly immense defeat. Mere minutes after a federal judge declined the Tribe’s request for an injunction to stop construction on the pipeline, the Obama administration made a surprise announcement that it would not permit the project to continue for now.

“Construction of the pipeline on Army Corps land bordering or under Lake Oahe will not go forward at this time,” said a joint statement from the Department of Justice, the Department of the Interior, and the U.S. Army. “We request that the pipeline company voluntarily pause all construction activity within 20 miles east or west of Lake Oahe.”

Free games updated 3/4/21

“We request that the pipeline company voluntarily pause all construction activity within 20 miles east or west of Lake Oahe.”

L0L And, iof they don't 'voluntarily' pause do you 'voluntarily' murder them all? LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

In my jaded mind they will stop for now and then when all the media attention is gone they will continue

Too much bad press right now

EDIT- Just saw this opinion piece

Erased By False Victory: Obama Hasn’t Stopped DAPL

I don't know anything about this person or this site so they could very well be wackadoos but I agree with some of it

And this too

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Apparently dolphins can communicate information to each other in "conversational" form: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/11/dolphins-recorded-having-a-conversation-for-first-time/

I bet I know what they were saying:

"Yasha, can you believe the defense couldn't stop Russel Wilson in the 4th Quarter yesterday?"

"I told you Yana, they suck"

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

British sniper kills four ISIS executioners with one shot from 1.5 kM: http://nypost.com/2016/09/11/sniper-takes-out-isis-executioner-from-a-mile-away/?ref=yfp

Good show old boy!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You know, I've had this HP 20s calculator since college, more than 30 years ago. It still works and I've never had to replace the battery. Not once. I was thinking today how remarkable that is. Guess they don't make them like they used to.  8)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

ClassicFM - Oldest Song Melody in Existence

The Hurrian Hymn was discovered in the 1950s on a clay tablet inscribed with Cuneiform text. It’s the oldest surviving melody and is over 3400 years old.

The hymn was discovered on a clay tablet in Ugarit, now part of modern-day Syria, and is dedicated the Hurrians’ goddess of the orchards Nikkal.

The clay tablet text, which was discovered alongside around 30 other tablet fragments, specifies 9 lyre strings and the intervals between those strings – kind of like an ancient guitar tab.

But this is the only hymn that could be reconstructed – although the name of the composer is now lost.

The system of music notation we use now wasn’t invented until 1000 AD. This is something altogether different.

The notation here is essentially a set of instructions for intervals and tuning based around a heptatonic diatonic scale. There’s much more detail about the precise language and instructions here .

The lyrics are very difficult to translate, but one academic has come up with this rendering of them:

‘Once I have endeared the deity, she will love me in her heart,
the offer I bring may wholly cover my sin,
bringing sesame oil may work on my behalf in awe may I'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6v0t5I5SM&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Apparently dolphins can communicate information to each other in "conversational" form: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/11/dolphins-recorded-having-a-conversation-for-first-time/

I bet I know what they were saying:

"Yasha, can you believe the defense couldn't stop Russel Wilson in the 4th Quarter yesterday?"

"I told you Yana, they suck"

:lol:

Their sentences are apparently no more than five words. I'll bet they are exchanging haiku.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

14344840_1409510832396644_29951815027316

14364794_1409512669063127_59260723217633

Chynara Madinkulova (long hair) and Aida Akmatova (bun) compete in the "Traditional Archery" category at the World Nomad games in Kyrgyzstan, which concluded last week.

Said games also include eagle hunting, horseback wrestling, and setting people on fire. Clearly the Olympics needs to step it up.

What a coincidence, I just saw a ~14 yo girl doing that on America's Got Talent. She didn't win but she made the finals. "Setting people on fire"? Color me interested. :lol:

Kinda curious where that came from as well.

As near as I can tell there were some stunt people on fire for the opening of the games, but no actual sports that set people on fire.

EDIT: Found it, it wasn't a competition sport this time but an exhibition sport called Oert Jalymdagan Chabandes which involves riding a horse while on fire (can't find more details atm).

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There was a sport on exhibition (but not competition) called Oert Jalymdagan Chabandes, or “Burning Rider,” which is riding a horse except you’re on fire. They made a stamp out of it.

M42.jpg

tumblr_inline_odm3skWjD81rr1oyg_500.gif

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"It’s the oldest surviving melody and is over 3400 years old."

That is probably not going to stop RIAA from trying?

British sniper kills four ISIS executioners with one shot from 1.5 kM: http://nypost.com/2016/09/11/sniper-takes-out-isis-executioner-from-a-mile-away/?ref=yfp

Good show old boy!

From the same article: "The rescue comes just months after another SAS sniper killed two ISIS car bombers as they drove toward Libya. The sniper’s bullet went through the driver’s skull and into the passenger’s neck, taking both out.". The generals here in the UK has been moaning about defense cuts... looks they have to save on ammo too in the field :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan