What are you playing right now?

I thought I was stuck in Technomancer, but it turned out there's a location so far down on the global map I didn't see it and assumed it wasn't available yet.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Playing some Technomancer.  I don't like the combat for a variety of reasons.

1-It seems slow to react, causing me to over-react to situations.  For instance, I press dodge, but it seems to stutter before dodging, causing me to press the dodge button a second time.  Problem is when it finally does move, it dodges twice, so when I'm trying to actually go dodge->attack, it does a dodge->dodge->attack.

2-Interrupts don't seem to work well.  I try and time it right, but like with the above, the timing seems to be off.  So I'll go to interrupt the opponent's attack only to get smacked around because I'm doing it too late.

3-My character gets hit once by a nail gun and 3/4 of his health is gone.  Meanwhile, I'm pounding away on my opponent with a combination of melee and nail gun attacks, and it takes forever to kill him.

4-The three different "stances" don't seem to do much.  The shield staggers me as much as it does my opponent, so even if I block an attack I'm in no position to attack back.  The dagger does no damage, so I'm constantly dodging and running into #1 above.  And the warrior ... it's the worst of both worlds.  It takes forever to attack if I'm far away, but it can't dodge either.

5-Being a technomancer -- supposedly a bad ass, doesn't actually feel like I am one.  Even lowly scrubs seem to be able to handle my lightning attack, and then they just proceed to beat me up via #1-4 above.  It's like if you're supposed to be a Jedi, but you get beaten up by an Ewok.  That's how powerful my attacks seem to be.

I don't mind the story.  It's just the combat sucks.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

All right, I don't know what is it with me and simulation genres, but for some reason, I disliked or at least didn't enjoy majority of 3D ones and love all the 2D, grid-based ones. I loved Transport Tycoon Deluxe back when, still play it now and then, but then I tried Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and some 3D city management games (including Cities Skylines last year) and disliked all of them. So I thought I sort of grew out of the genre, but I found that I really enjoy rollercoaster tycoon 2 a LOT. And now, 'cause 5 bucks so hey, I bought SimCity 3000, upped it to 1080p and I'm loving it.

"I don't mind the story" doesn't exactly sound like high praise either :-P

Playing some Technomancer.  I don't like the combat for a variety of reasons.

1-It seems slow to react, causing me to over-react to situations.  For instance, I press dodge, but it seems to stutter before dodging, causing me to press the dodge button a second time.  Problem is when it finally does move, it dodges twice, so when I'm trying to actually go dodge->attack, it does a dodge->dodge->attack.

2-Interrupts don't seem to work well.  I try and time it right, but like with the above, the timing seems to be off.  So I'll go to interrupt the opponent's attack only to get smacked around because I'm doing it too late.

3-My character gets hit once by a nail gun and 3/4 of his health is gone.  Meanwhile, I'm pounding away on my opponent with a combination of melee and nail gun attacks, and it takes forever to kill him.

4-The three different "stances" don't seem to do much.  The shield staggers me as much as it does my opponent, so even if I block an attack I'm in no position to attack back.  The dagger does no damage, so I'm constantly dodging and running into #1 above.  And the warrior ... it's the worst of both worlds.  It takes forever to attack if I'm far away, but it can't dodge either.

5-Being a technomancer -- supposedly a bad ass, doesn't actually feel like I am one.  Even lowly scrubs seem to be able to handle my lightning attack, and then they just proceed to beat me up via #1-4 above.  It's like if you're supposed to be a Jedi, but you get beaten up by an Ewok.  That's how powerful my attacks seem to be.

I haven't noticed any of that, did you try to make you graphics settings lower? As far as being ineffective in combat, it helps to hide behind your companions sometimes. They can take plenty of punishment. It's probably best to invest in only two skill trees, technomancy and one of the stances. I did the warrior because of the area attack, although that particular ability turned out not that useful. But once you do significant upgrades, you'll be a lot more powerful. I like to upgrade one tree until I get a major ability, then switch to the other one.

Edit: Warrior does dodge, may be not like rogue. And if you're too far, you can dodge forward too. One gripe I have is only the rogue can shoot the gun. They should've used the right bumper for the gun, and switch stances from the pause menu.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

A lot depends on how you craft and build your character.

Usually my Force Lightning Storm oneshotted everything. Of course timing is important too.

The Lightning Fist debuff helps a lot as well.

At any rate game is easy anyhow since consumables are so plentiful. I got 70+ in the endgame without crafting or buying any at all.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I must just suck then, because combat is kicking my ass on easy difficulty for the reasons I mentioned above.

My companions don't seem to actually do any damage to the enemies.  The best I can say about them is they distract one or two enemies if I'm facing a mob, so I can deal with the 3 or 4 others while 1 or 2 of them are pounding away at my companions.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I must just suck then, because combat is kicking my ass on easy difficulty for the reasons I mentioned above.

My companions don't seem to actually do any damage to the enemies.  The best I can say about them is they distract one or two enemies if I'm facing a mob, so I can deal with the 3 or 4 others while 1 or 2 of them are pounding away at my companions.

Spider games combat is a bit iffy but after you understand it it becomes predictable. Just know that we all had those problems and that they happen on each of their games.

But once you get past a few levels and learn how their combat mechanics work you're going to do fine, by then your problem will be how tedious the combat has become and how there isn't any enemy variety. Just treat the dodge as if it was a block/parry mechanic, hit it at the last second for massive benefits. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You're probably overthinking it, just hit them as fast as possible, dodge away and heal if necessary. Don't forget you have a pause menu from which you can launch attacks also.

I keep forgetting there's a pause button.

Funny enough, I played again tonight and suddenly the combat is easy.  And no, I didn't suddenly get better.  I do the same thing -- dodge, strike, dodge, strike, run around like a chicken with my head cut off, dodge, strike, etc. -- but at some point between my character being level 7 and my current level 12, the enemies just ended up sucking.

I can't help but laugh at the character names though.  Hi, I'm Sean Mancer.  This is my buddy Ian Mancer, and my other buddy Connor Mancer.  Because, you know, we're technomancers.

Funny enough, I played again tonight and suddenly the combat is easy.  And no, I didn't suddenly get better.  I do the same thing -- dodge, strike, dodge, strike, run around like a chicken with my head cut off, dodge, strike, etc. -- but at some point between my character being level 7 and my current level 12, the enemies just ended up sucking.

I can't help but laugh at the character names though.  Hi, I'm Sean Mancer.  This is my buddy Ian Mancer, and my other buddy Connor Mancer.  Because, you know, we're technomancers.

Would you rather we start calling you Temperance or Innocence? I think we got us an Aurora sympathizer here.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Don't worry, it'll get harder again.

In that culture last names depend on occupation, not family. Because it's commie.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Mostly been playing Hearts of Iron IV, but paused to do a run of EUIV after I grabbed a bunch of DLC during the steam sale. Booted up the copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order I got around Christmas, and am loving it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just used Steam refund for the first time.

And ?Do tell....who was the unlucky recipient of the inauspicious Steam refund   policy

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just used Steam refund for the first time.

And ?Do tell....who was the unlucky recipient of the inauspicious Steam refund   policy

http://store.steampowered.com/app/501940/

Sounded cool on paper but I really didn't like what I played. I asked for a refund after 12 minutes. Kept playing for another 21 minutes and then uninstalled. The concept is great and everything about it appeals to me, but the execution isn't good. Fights are boring and platforming controls aren't good.

• Like 1

For the first time after a long while I played something other than Team Fortress 2.

Here's the short version:

1. Duskers. Great indie game simulating the 70's Alien movie experience and retro command prompt only gameplay. Its principal fault is that as a Roguelike, it doesn't have enough random unique content to give the game more variety. Thus, it becomes routine too quickly. 

2. Shovel Knight. Nice 2d retro platformer. Has a lot of pleasant touches with level design, enemies and abilities without being too complex (a lot of platformers today are unnecessarily complicated for the genre IMO). Worth playing.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest. Lovely animation, interesting graphics - but the gameplay is simplistic and boring. - Gave up on it

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm playing Salt & Sanctuary.  It's pretty good.  I've gotten my ass whooped quite a few times already, but it's all part of the learning process.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm playing Salt & Sanctuary. It's pretty good. I've gotten my ass whooped quite a few times already, but it's all part of the learning process.

Good game for sure. Played through it on the ps4 and had a good time. Thought of it as an easier Dark Souls game in that genre, but in a 2d sense. Good look to it, good lore to be found. Good length as well.

I'm torn on the look of Salt & Sanctuary.  The aesthetic is consistent and I like the lighting effects and there's a lot of layers in the background giving nice depth, but I hate the look of the human characters.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks