RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

9 minutes of Elex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR4XDNqCZDE

Get out of here, Stalker!

Combat looks clunky, but that's par for the course for PB.  I'm definitely interested, as I am in all PB games.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd like that, if the gameplay supported it fully

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'd like that, if the gameplay supported it fully

I dislike 1st-person view unless it's for an actual FP shooter.

For RPGs or action/adventure games, I prefer to actually see my character as they make their way through the environment.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

More shady dealings from the company that everyone loves to hate:

http://3wirel.lostsig.com/2016/08/06/the-long-story-of-prey-2s-development-the-darkside-of-bethesda/

Yikes.  It's pretty clear that the publisher arm of Bethesda (Zenimax) sucks.  

There had been bad stories about Zenimax already back in the days when Fallout 3 was in development (not Fo3 related, though). Though everyone said Fallout fans are but haters. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

There had been bad stories about Zenimax already back in the days when Fallout 3 was in development (not Fo3 related, though). Though everyone said Fallout fans are but haters. :>

I'm pretty sure Zenimax being crap and Fallout fans being haters are not mutually exclusive :-P
  • Like 2

So the link is down for me. A recap? :)

It pretty much says that Prey 2 developers were pushed down because Bethesda continuously tried to find reasons not to pay for development milestones. After a while, Zenimax would step in and offer to lend money to the developers, until "the situation has been worked out" and in the end they would try to buy the studio to get their hands on the full game and all following profits.

I'm pretty sure Zenimax being crap and Fallout fans being haters are not mutually exclusive :-P

Look at all these lies. :>

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

What's Bethesda working on now?

As a developer or publisher? They're definitely working on another Elder Scrolls game somewhere behind the curtains, new and 'improved' Prey, new MP-focused Quake game which'll surely be catastrophic (I am only saying this because when I said it about Wolfenstein and Doom, they turned out excellent), Dishonored 2 and I'm pretty sure Machine games mentioned somewhere they're working on follow-up to Wolfenstein: The New Order. And Fallout 4 DLC I suppose?

I think fo4 dlcs are all done. Also funny how all their games now are shooter and not at all related to RPGs. Lel. I mean, not that they necessarily only have to work on rpgs, but looking back the past, it seems fo5 won't even get branching dialogues. :>

It seems to be a trend in the AAA games industry, not just Bethesda themselves, where almost all games are going toward the same convergence point of being action adventures with RPG-lite elements.  So you have traditional RPG studios dumbing down their RPG systems to make games more based on action (glares at Bethesda and BioWare) and other developers pushing RPG-style progression into genres like shooters and such that didn't traditionally have (or need) such elements.  On the one hand, I don't mind ideas from different genres crossing over as sometimes it makes for cool gameplay, but I don't like the trend of all games essentially becoming the same, only the setting differing.  This is why I play less and less AAA games and more and more indies, who still make focused games, which are now niche.

• Like 7

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It seems to be a trend in the AAA games industry, not just Bethesda themselves, where almost all games are going toward the same convergence point of being action adventures with RPG-lite elements.  So you have traditional RPG studios dumbing down their RPG systems to make games more based on action (glares at Bethesda and BioWare) and other developers pushing RPG-style progression into genres like shooters and such that didn't traditionally have (or need) such elements.  On the one hand, I don't mind ideas from different genres crossing over as sometimes it makes for cool gameplay, but I don't like the trend of all games essentially becoming the same, only the setting differing.  This is why I play less and less AAA games and more and more indies, who still make focused games, which are now niche.

I've been in the same boat as of late. I intentionally limit my AAA purchases to a couple/few games a year (if it's a good year). I bought DOOM, and will likely get Titanfall 2. However, I am interested in Deus Ex, but will likely wait till years end or the beginning of next year when I build my new rig. May as well wait for a sale at that point.

It seems to be a trend in the AAA games industry, not just Bethesda themselves, where almost all games are going toward the same convergence point of being action adventures with RPG-lite elements. So you have traditional RPG studios dumbing down their RPG systems to make games more based on action (glares at Bethesda and BioWare) and other developers pushing RPG-style progression into genres like shooters and such that didn't traditionally have (or need) such elements. On the one hand, I don't mind ideas from different genres crossing over as sometimes it makes for cool gameplay, but I don't like the trend of all games essentially becoming the same, only the setting differing. This is why I play less and less AAA games and more and more indies, who still make focused games, which are now niche.

Same here. The only titles, which can be considered AAA, which I am buying nowadays are traditional JRPGs. But these games are becoming more and more niche titles with the passing of time as well.

I am not complaining, because I am still having fun with all the indies and japanese games, but more variability in AAA industry would hurt no one.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I have currently two AAA games on my radar - XCOM and Deus Ex, but I will wait for complete version including all that cut content. Did XCOM already get some DLCs/Expansion?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

XCOM 2 has released all the DLC that is part of their "season pass", but that's not really saying much, it's not a lot of content. I mean I own it, but can't be bothered to start a new game just to play it because the fundamental gameplay experience would be unchanged. Across the 3 DLCs you get a grand total of two new scripted missions. *Two*. The rest of the content consists of the addition of mechs, the introduction of some special boss aliens, the obligatory new guns and stuff, and a bunch of purely cosmetic options for soldier customisation.

Besides that, there's been no announcement as of yet for any further content, whether DLC or fully-fledged expansion, though you'd imagine the latter is quite likely to happen at some point.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's a pretty embarrassing excuse for a "season pass". They're rarely worth it, but between that and the joke of the new Deus Ex's recently announced "season pass", it seems like they're getting even worse.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

So the link is down for me. A recap? :)

A mod asking for TL:DR? For shame.

Here you go: https://web.archive.org/web/20160810015843/http://3wirel.lostsig.com/2016/08/06/the-long-story-of-prey-2s-development-the-darkside-of-bethesda/

That version is lacking a later edit where the author added these tweets acknowledging the story:

https://twitter.com/NathanCheever/status/762691399896616960

https://twitter.com/NormNazaroff/status/762779556759605248

Take it as you will.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Going to be a long wait for DX to get cheaper

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra