RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

I've never understood who even buys season passes.  

Sir Thomas More.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Of course the season pass for Deus Ex is rather expensive. And the main two "dlc's" that are coming out several months in the future..  get put into the middle of the Deus Ex game. So, you'll have to replay the game for them to make sense.

At least, that's what it seems to read like from the info they've given so far.

Oh yes, plus the season pass gives a bunch of in-game gubbins like extra money, praxis points, parts for weapon mods, and stuff for the alternate game version that you can do with Deus Ex.

Which does tend to make you shake your head over the whole thing. At least to me it does.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And the main two "dlc's" that are coming out several months in the future..  get put into the middle of the Deus Ex game. So, you'll have to replay the game for them to make sense.

To be fair, I rather enjoy that approach - I'm the kind of guy who always wants to see what different decisions/playstyles throughout the storyline change, but it's difficult for me to justify playing the same game again. When there's new content inserted into it tho I'm looking forward towards the replays - so it's ideal for me to play the base game some time after release and then, a few years down the line when I forget enough of the game and all new content is released/discounted, play it again.

Heck, it's why I played Pillars of Eternity 3 times. And also because it's a great game.

Edited by Fenixp

XCOM 2 has released all the DLC that is part of their "season pass", but that's not really saying much, it's not a lot of content. I mean I own it, but can't be bothered to start a new game just to play it because the fundamental gameplay experience would be unchanged. Across the 3 DLCs you get a grand total of two new scripted missions. *Two*. The rest of the content consists of the addition of mechs, the introduction of some special boss aliens, the obligatory new guns and stuff, and a bunch of purely cosmetic options for soldier customisation.

Besides that, there's been no announcement as of yet for any further content, whether DLC or fully-fledged expansion, though you'd imagine the latter is quite likely to happen at some point.

Given how Enemy Within worked on consoles (iirc, you had to buy the whole game over) I kind of figured they'd release an expansion alongside the console release of XCOM 2, but it looks like that won't be the case, seeing as they haven't said anything about an expansion yet, and the console version comes out next month.

The season pass stuff for XCOM2 is, admittedly, not terrific in terms of adding new content, but the 2 missions are pretty good, as far as I'm concerned (though Shen's Last Gift is ridiculously hard without at least mag weapons, and is still pretty hard at that point.)  If I'd paid for it separately, I might be kind of mad, but I bought the Digital Deluxe or whatever it was with enough of a discount that it was actually less than just buying the game, so I can't complain too much.

Oh yes, plus the season pass gives a bunch of in-game gubbins like extra money, praxis points, parts for weapon mods, and stuff for the alternate game version that you can do with Deus Ex.

I've read that these items are one-game only. So if you activate them in your current playthrough, you can't get them again in your next, etc. :D

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've never understood who even buys season passes.  

Impatient people who cannot wait for the GOTY edition.

Sir Thomas More.

That would be a Seasons Pass.

Really Nonek, bastardising the classics for a cheap laugh? You're a man of refinement and taste, not some horrible colonial oik like me. I expected better. Or at least to have thought of it myself.

• Like 3

Coming Jan 2017 to Win, Mac, Linux

The only appropriate response to this awesome news is Rake the Cat

Hopefully the rest of the series comes to peesee as well.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I wish NISA would publish on GOG as well... Well at least I have all Disgaeas on various Playstation platforms :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Why not have both? I much prefer playing New Vegas and Bloodlines in first person, for example, but it's nice to have the opportunity to toggle to third when needed.

Usually because games that allow for both do one of the perspectives poorly.  For instance, I too play FO in first person, but that's because the third person perspective seems clunky and tacked on as a last minute concession.

If a game could implement the option for both, and both were actually done well, I'd be okay with it.  As it is, I'd rather them keep RE as a third person view, rather than implement a half-assed third person view to go along with their decision to go first person.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have to say, by putting in micro-transactions like that in the single player game... They make me want to go and download cheat engine just to add in those things for free.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm pretty sure cheats are fair use.

The game is also a bit on the short side. 20 hrs or so if you try to do everything and not very coherently put together. This makes me wonder if they salamied the game into DLCs or independent chapters like Hitman with the intention of collecting as many times as possible.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Actually I hate this "collect crap and do mobile phone stuff" and then like in the first 5 minutes of playing the new DX, of course I will find collectibles and stuff for whatever mobile app...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So Deus Ex mankind divided has microtransactions where you can buy praxis kits. If you remember those they are the upgrades for your augmentations. IN THE SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN.

**** you Eidos. You are now officially in EA/Ubisoft territory. 

Is it true that these microtransactions are one use only, and after being bound to a savegame are no longer available to use in any other playthrough of the game?

I think i'll wait for the ultimate collection in a year or so personally, pick everything up in one micro priced transaction.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yup. Yup, that's true. And it includes pre-order bonuses - they only work on your first save. I'd be willing to gamble money on the game possibly not working as well as it could, but with this kind of bull**** surrounding it... Nah. I'll save my money for Dishonored 2.

I'm pretty sure cheats are fair use.

Are there in-game cheats that allow you to give Praxis kits to yourself? It'd be pretty stupid to have that and then sell them separately.

There's always trainers I guess, but can they ban you over that?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ban you from what ?. This is single player remember. No there's no cheats the game has only been out a day, buut, with the store system you would imagine they have sealed the game files well and good away, which probably means no mods, ever.

You could always have a go at the save files with a hex editor. Not sure how much they have done to prevent you from that. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Ban you from what ?. This is single player remember. No there's no cheats the game has only been out a day, buut, with the store system you would imagine they have sealed the game files well and good away, which probably means no mods, ever.

You could always have a go at the save files with a hex editor. Not sure how much they have done to prevent you from that. 

I don't know, lock you out of the game for disassembling the code or whatever.

If they are pulling this and their engineers aren't completely ineffectual, the savegames and even the way the game stores in memory how many of X you currently have, will be encrypted to prevent people from giving themselves billions of dollars worth of consumables with Cheat Engine.

Between this news and the previous comments about further consolization, you guys have effectively killed my interest in this game, saving me at least 10€. Thanks, Obsidian Forums!

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'd say it very much depends on whether it was a decision of design team or management team. If it's the latter I could easily see microtransactions being implemented to shut them up while not changing the balance of the game at all - it didn't raise nearly as much uproar at the time, but Rise of the Tomb Raider also has a microtransaction shop yet I'm pretty sure there are trainers for it. Hell, GTAV has an in-game money shop (even for SP) and a bunch of official cheats at the same time.

Bear in mind I'm not actually defending them, there's 50 euro sitting on my account that I've had set aside for Mankind Divided and the way I see it, it'll probably go towards buying a bunch of fun indie games or Dishonored II.

Edited by Fenixp

Management team, 100%. Designers won't sit down at a design meeting and think "we want to make a great game with the best graphics, best systems and for it to be one of the best of all time. Of all time! But most of all, we want to fulfil our lifelong ambition of having microtransactions in a SP game. Let's make it happen, people!". However, management definitely will sit down at a management meeting and try to finagle microtransactions in to make extra money. And microtransactions with an expiry date, even for season pass/ preorder bonuses? Give the man who thought of that a bonus instead!

Ban you from what ?

They can use either steam or 3rd party drm to ban you from a single player game without any real difficulty. It'd be terrible PR, but then this isn't exactly great PR itself. I personally doubt it would happen, but it could.

That would be extremely easy to do from something like the 'episodic' new Hitman, from the same company, or from any game that requires always online or has 'curated' saves.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1