US Elections 2016

Gorth

Kascich will never will the general election.

Over Clinton?  I am not ready to commit to that.  She is very beatable.  

By almost anyone that's been in the field except Kasich, yes.

As far as electability, only Santorum, Bush, or Graham were worse offerings. The vast majority of votes that Kasich will get will be anti-Hillary votes, not votes for him. His platform as a Republican is not good, in many ways he comes off as an establishment Democrat. Such a person is not electable (governor or some other position in some places sure, but not U.S. President in 2016; unless there's a wildcard 3rd party, but if that happens, the Democrat candidate is much more like to win than the Republican).

All that said, Kasich won't even be the nominee unless some evil stuff is done at the Republican convention. If that happens, the GOP very well might have dealt itself a fatal blow, and the poop will be a giant step closer to hitting the fan in this country.

Whatever one's political leanings, it should be abundantly clear that a very large chunk of the electorate in the U.S. are beyond sick of what both parties have been doing, and almost as many are beyond sick of the mainstream media's coverage of the political process. The only two candidates that actually have a very large enthusiastic base are Trump and Sanders, both at least perceived to be outsiders (whether they are or aren't is possibly/arguably another story). While some of their supporters will eventually 'tow the party line' for whoever is the nominee, a lot of them, if not the majority of them, will not. Sanders and Trump supporters generally already feel very disenfranchised and unrepresented, hence their support of what they see as outsiders. If a perceived outsider doesn't get elected this election, that will also be a giant step towards poop hitting the fan in this nation.

Edited by Valsuelm

Kasich does have some democratic leanings, and that's why I see him as a decent threat to Clinton in a general election.  Now him getting through the brokered convention is a total crapshoot, so I agree it is probably not in the dice.  And if he does, Trump will probably run independent (I assume he can still do that and get on the ballot?)  That will pull votes away from any Republican candidate, as you've said.  

But if there was a scenario where it was just Kasich versus Clinton, I'd put my money on Kasich.  The Republicans are going to vote for him, regardless of their feelings, just like they did for Romney.  And I think there is enough flaws with Clinton to pull votes away from her.  She lacks the charisma of her husband and Obama.

All I really know is the Republican Convention is going to be a barnburner.  :)

Fill in an eurotrash in this, but how is it in any way acceptable for anyone, republican or independent, to vote for Kasich if he is the result of the republican establishment and not from those caucuses and primaries? He is basically broadcasting himself with a sticker "i.do.not.represent.you." on his forehead.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Fill in an eurotrash in this, but how is it in any way acceptable for anyone, republican or independent, to vote for Kasich if he is the result of the republican establishment and not from those caucuses and primaries? He is basically broadcasting himself with a sticker "i.do.not.represent.you." on his forehead.

For a very lot of people, it wouldn't be. Hence me saying it would be a giant step towards the **** hitting the fan.

There's a large amount of voters who will vote for the Republican party no matter who the nominee is. Ditto for Democrats. Kasich would be ideal for the establishment because he wouldn't rock the boat and doesn't have Cruz's image problems.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So Clinton'sd team proves yet again how much of  a nazi she is. They are refusing to debate The Colonel until he is 'nicer'. LMAO

Damn SJW Nazis. Feels matter more than facts but only their feelz.. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Does anyone besides non-Twitter users? :|

(e): ...besides Twitter users*. Sentences like the above are the reason why nearly every single one of my posts have an "Edited by Bartimaeus" at the bottom.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

General election match-up polls are normally meaningless at this point. However Trump's (and Cruz's) high negatives are significant. Kasich would be a very weak candidate but almost anyone can beat Hilzilla assuming her problems pan out and she's still able to run. I think if Repubes do steal the convention, they won't give it to Kasich anyway, it'll be someone else.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Fill in an eurotrash in this, but how is it in any way acceptable for anyone, republican or independent, to vote for Kasich if he is the result of the republican establishment and not from those caucuses and primaries?

If no one reaches a majority then, er, no one can be said to be acceptable to the majority* and any resultant candidate is the result of the 'establishment', one way or another. In any case, Kasich can not really be said to be the establishment favourite- he's basically their least disliked remaining choice/ last man standing, even just in the active phase of the campaign he's been 3rd and last choice behind Jeb and Marco.

One way or another their remaining candidates are all deeply flawed. Cruz is borderline unelectable and only seems a reasonable choice compared to Trump, Trump has a large 'anyone but Donald' anti following to balance his popularity plus no actual policy as opposed to sound bites and Kasich is... moderate, unremarkable, uninspiring, just a bit boring. Of the three though- and it's true in comparison to Hillary as well- merely being a bit boring could be a significant advantage since while he's unlikely to bring in droves of enthusiastic supporters he's unlikely to alienate significant numbers either whereas the other candidates may be more inspiring but they're also far more divisive. Plus, he's from an electorally crucial state and while Donald may think he can carry New York he's about the only person who thinks that.

*Barring a VP Kasich type compromise

Kasich does have some democratic leanings, and that's why I see him as a decent threat to Clinton in a general election.  Now him getting through the brokered convention is a total crapshoot, so I agree it is probably not in the dice.  And if he does, Trump will probably run independent (I assume he can still do that and get on the ballot?)  That will pull votes away from any Republican candidate, as you've said.  

But if there was a scenario where it was just Kasich versus Clinton, I'd put my money on Kasich.  The Republicans are going to vote for him, regardless of their feelings, just like they did for Romney.  And I think there is enough flaws with Clinton to pull votes away from her.  She lacks the charisma of her husband and Obama.

All I really know is the Republican Convention is going to be a barnburner.   :)

I think it's this more than anything. Assuming he doesn't have a Palin style screw up (my grandpa reportedly said "They just lost the election" when she was announced) he'd be moderate enough to woo the swing voters across party lines while still keeping the base around. Yes he may have a few "despicable" (according to viewpoints) pieces of the agenda under his belt, but then, everyone does. 

If Clinton were to find a magical Charisma switch in her brain and flick it on, she'd probably sweep the election at this point. I still maintain that she would be the overall best executive of the current lot due to her past, and Bernie has forced her to be significantly more liberal than before during the course of this election. Unless Bernie can perform an amazing turn around she's pretty much got the primary locked up.

And before Vas or WoD say anything about "Dems criminal charges doe!" I ask you this... where are they, and why are we hearing that the reason for any potential security breach wasn't because she was being high and mighty, but rather because the branch of government she was a part of (at the time) refused to accommodate their boss and allow secure mobile access (as they had with Condi Rice)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

a71IXZa.jpg

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I'm actually thinking someone like Paul Ryan is more likely to come out of a brokered election than John Kasich.

He has said repeatedly he has no interest but he also said he wanted no part of being Speaker of the House... and look where is is.

This is starting to sound a little like Julius Ceaser. Mark Anthony (the RNC) has twice offered Cesaer (Ryan) the crown and he refused. Brutus & Cassiss (Cruz & Trump) begin plotting to murder him on the Senate floor (the Republican Convention) to stop his ambitions.

:lol:  It just writes itself!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I can believe this. Most Americans are far too critical of the election  system...it seems to work fine most of the time?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh I have faith in the elction system. I just have no faith in the elected.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 in 10 Americans will be respond to an e-mail from an African prince with the offer of a lifetime.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

But if the election system is resulting in elected you have no faith in, isn't that an issue with the election system?

I'd also like to point out that the election system isn't simply the primaries and caucuses and Tuesday in November, but all the media stuff as well.

3 in 10 Americans will be respond to an e-mail from an African prince with the offer of a lifetime.

Go on...I am interested in your proposal.

If you send me your social security number and credit card information I will share my fortune from the diamond mines with you.

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/trump-campaign-manager-charged-with-simple-battery/index.html

Guys on a more serious note....is there no low the Trump campaign will stoop to, now they assaulting women  :blink:

John Milton