What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

So it's been confirmed.. and then not.

Game of Thrones will end after season 8

The night is dark and full of terrors, also sadness. HBO has confirmed that Game of Thrones’ eighth season will be its last.

The network’s programming executive Casey Bloys told Entertainment Weekly at the Television Critics Association’s press tour that HBO is going along with the plan from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss to end the show after season 8. This isn’t exactly a new announcement, as we’ve known for months that the show would likely last eight seasons, but this is the first time HBO has confirmed it.

“Yes. they have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do,” Bloys told EW. “If I could get them to do more, I would take 10 more seasons. But we take their lead on what they think they can do the best version of the show.”

That doesn’t mean it’s the end of the Game of Thrones-iverse. Bloys expressed interest in a Game of Thrones spinoff show, something A Song of Ice and Fire author George RR Martin himself has supported.

Game of Thrones returns sometime in summer 2017 for season 7, which will get seven episodes. Season 8 could get as few as six. Bloys also confirmed that Game of Thrones likely won’t be up for any Emmy Awards next year, because of season 7's production delays to film in winter. Because, you know, “Winter is Here” and all.

Update: In comments to BuzzFeed, an HBO spokesperson said “Casey did confirm season 8, but didn’t really say for sure that’s the end.” We’ve reached out to the network and will update when we hear back.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just finished Stranger Things... in one go. It's years since I've managed to watch a tv show season on only one day. Damn.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hulk's strength is rated 'potentially incalculable', the lifting power of Luke Cage and Loki is said to be 50 tons.

How does one go about rating the potentially incalculable?

No i'm only joshing, be interested to see whether they uphold the obvious quality of Daredevil or plumb the depths of Agents of Shield in these new shows. Though truth told i'm sick of all the superhero stuff.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So apparently Netflix has picked up Dracula (the Jonathan Rhys Myers vaguely steampunky one) to do the 2nd season after NBC cancelled it the other year.

It was.. interesting.  They took Dracula and wrapped it around an oddball mix of steampunk concepts, and Illuminate conspiracy. It was fairly glossy and lush with some quirky ideas.

Edit: I've just binge-watched the last of Blacklist season 3, and have moved on to watching Dark Matter season 1.

Edited by Raithe

MOAR Dark Matter

Looks like Devon and Nyx are going to be regulars. Nyx I'd bet at least as long until we know what her deal is. Also, doesn't look like One is coming back, what with both of them being dead now.

Also watched Stranger Things. Good. Really good. Bordering on awesome.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

MOAR Dark Matter

Looks like Devon and Nyx are going to be regulars. Nyx I'd bet at least as long until we know what her deal is. Also, doesn't look like One is coming back, what with both of them being dead now.

Also watched Stranger Things. Good. Really good. Bordering on awesome.

Re Dark Matter: there is clones...

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

MOAR Dark Matter

I'm liking the upgrade to

the ship android. The actress seems to have some skill and naturally, ahes way hotter as a "human".

It's when you start realising that certain chunks of the cast come from Lost Girl. Of course, part of that is that the whole sci-fi / urban fantasy tv shows can be a wee bit incestuous almost with all of the actors living in and around Vancouver so there can be a whole lot of cross-over and intermingling.

At least they're not yet recycling actors within the same show (though the police captain on Flash comes close, since he was on Arrow beforehand and they're shared universe). When they shot Hercules and Xena here they'd regularly use the same actors for different characters even within the same season, though they'd often make a nudge-nudge joke/ reference about doing so. And occasionally jokes about roles they'd had on NZ TV that no one else could possibly get like marrying Gina and Leonard to each other.

Vancouver is a bit more extreme though, there must be a dozen shows shooting there. If that happened here we'd have literal queues for filming locations.

It can be quite funny, when certain cast members from one show get married to cast members in another show, and then they start doing guest appearances and cameo slots in things...  (yes, SG-1 and Andromeda I'm looking at you for the history there).

But it can be interesting to see how someone who is a main character in one show can turn up as a re-occurring member in another show that are both being shot at the same time.

Not seen Dark Matter, but cast list says The Android is played by Zoie Palmer who was a regular supporting cast member on Lost Girl (which I've only seen a few episodes of).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

She played a regular cast member who was the Doctor to one of the fey courts, and the occasional lover of the main protagonist of the show.

Edit: I did try and find some of the good scenes of her character in the show, but youtube is full of the mashed up fan music video montages of her and the lead girl teasing love sequences and kissing rather than the other acting.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

BoJack Horseman

The fact that I had never given this show a fair shake before this week is a poor reflection on you people. Shame.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"When they shot Hercules and Xena here they'd regularly use the same actors for different characters even within the same season"

Even Xena herself  had a previous character on Hercules before she was Xena. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hulk's strength is rated 'potentially incalculable', the lifting power of Luke Cage and Loki is said to be 50 tons.  

Finished the first four seasons of GoT, for the first time. Never knew I committed a crime against quality programming by not watching the show until now.  

I'd say you were better off not watching.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

How does one go about rating the potentially incalculable?

I know you said you were joshing, but theoretically there's no upper limit to Hulk's strength.  The longer he fights and the madder he gets the stronger he gets.  So if you're going to beat him in a fight, its going to be done early, eventually his strength curve will take him past you.

Not seen Dark Matter...

:ermm:

I felt compelled to both like and stinkeye this post. Dooo eeet, its pretty fun.

Not that I don't want to, I just have too many shows to watch right now.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Stranger Things was fantastic, but the beginning was better than the end (which is always the case with the "mystery" genre, Twin Peaks being the best example). I hope they start with a completely new story in season 2, with different characters.

Another great new series is 'The Night Of' - HBO at its best.

• Like 1

Justified is very, very good isn't it? Even the smallest character is well crafted and written, the writing is of stellar quality and there's an essential humanity to the whole program, along with some quite subtle points easily missed if one doesn't watch carefully.

I've just watched one about the Marshalls seizing a fraudsters belongings, which includes some forged Hitler artwork, the plot was byzantine and surprising. The high point was probably the cameo of Robert Picardo, as a man obsessed with his fathers guilt and wrongdoings, to the point where he destroyed history (something I can't agree with no matter the source,) and centred his whole life on that task. This of course fed into Raylan's issues with his own father.

Nice to see that television of this quality is still being made.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!