Dear Fat People

ktchong

In case you haven't heard, this video has been burning up the Internet.

"Fat shaming is not a thing. Fat people made that up. That's the race card, with no race."

She's funny.  And, guess what?  She's absolutely correct.

P.S. Yes, I hate fat people, especially the fat asses on scooters.  They offend me.  Fatties on scooters are not disabled.  They are just lazy.

I'm genuinely interested why you would dislike people who have done nothing to you ?

It doesn't seem rationale....and yes I don't mind my medical aid being spent helping obese people  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It also turned her into a bit of celebrity and resulted in her making the rounds of the talk show circuit, so I'm not sure how successful you can really call the 'fat-shaming' accusations.  

You could say the same about certain video game critic harassment victims...

Anyway. Good that most people at least have their head in the right place.

Sure.  I've always been impressed by how Sarkeesian cashed in on her controversy.  

I draw the line at this sort of thing that this lady got.

I'm not one to get my panties all in a knot over stuff people post on the internet, much less condone harassment, but well-meaning though it may be, that pic is indelicate and displays an amount of ignorance by the author, if it's to be taken at face value. Sorry, but that's how it is. The "excuse"? How about medication. Psychological problems? Hormonal disorders? Educational disadvantages? Poverty? Etc.

Sure, the pic isn't necessarily judgmental by itself, but it does push people to judge themselves through an arbitrary, unscientific, external criterion, while hand-waving circumstances away as "excuses".

I posted this on another thread, but it bears repeating: Is Obesity a Choice?

Mind, that guy, unlike the "fit mom" from the pic, is an actual medical doctor dealing with overweight people regularly, and a natural bodybuilder and amateur triathlon competitor on top of it. Maybe he's on to something.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

All I'm reading in that pic is "This is what's possible" and "Think about your choices."

And I think you're blowing it out of proportion as did those people when you read it as taunting. There is no reason to automatically read that as saying that no one who is fat has any excuse for failing at getting fit.

I actually think we are in the midst of a cultural revolution when it comes to nutrition.  There are crazies on both sides of the issue.  You've got the folks freaking out about GMO's, and then you've got these weird people yelling about fat shaming.  But in the middle you've got more education spreading about what fast food does to you, you've got the rise of healthier alternative groceries and restaurants.  It is probably going to take a couple generations to show real progress, but much like with smoking, I think we may be near the peak and hopefully will see a downward shift in terrible nutrition.

On the other hand, physical activity and exercise is still in a big rut.  Too much boob tube.  We need a revolution there.

I just find it hard to take most nutrition advice. Every 5-10 years, it changes. Oh, too much salt is bad for you. Wait 10 years and they'll turn around and admit they got it wrong and its okay. Specific ingredients, specific types of food, specific types of fat.... One decade all the food nutrition experts have identified it as awful and life threatening and the cause of all these illnesses.. and the next decade its "well, it's not as serious as we thought"  "Actually it was something else..".

It comes down to eating everything in moderation and having some form of exercise in your life. Beyond that, the science seems to make it a crapshoot because it's ever changing.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

there was picture i saw but i dont remember where. it showed a fat woman in the gym, drenched in sweat and panting, and she was thinking "there has to be an easier way". in the next panel she was holding a sign that said "everyone should be fat"

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

All I'm reading in that pic is "This is what's possible" and "Think about your choices."

And I think you're blowing it out of proportion as did those people when you read it as taunting. There is no reason to automatically read that as saying that no one who is fat has any excuse for failing at getting fit.

there is a saying in my country that i cant really translate, but it means that if you are ashamed of something, you feel like everyone is making fun of you for it. so those who complain about fat shaming, are themselves ashamed of their own fat and lash out on everyone that they think makes fun of them

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

there is a saying in my country that i cant really translate, but it means that if you are ashamed of something, you feel like everyone is making fun of you for it. so those who complain about fat shaming, are themselves ashamed of their own fat and lash out on everyone that they think makes fun of them

I must be misunderstanding you, I am not overweight at all and train at gym 3-5 times a week

I think this whole " fat shaming " is reprehensible. Its not only childish but why would a person of normal and rationale thinking feel the need to tease and mock fat people ?

Please explain this to me ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Everyone has held opinions throughout all of history. The only difference now is the ability to record and transmit them around the world any where, any time, all of the time. Deal with it.

lol, very true. The internet has allowed douchebags to be more open than ever before! I blame the internet, not fat people;)

• Like 1

Everyone has held opinions throughout all of history. The only difference now is the ability to record and transmit them around the world any where, any time, all of the time. Deal with it.

lol, very true. The internet has allowed douchebags to be more open than ever before! I blame the internet, not fat people;)

Meh. While I don't go out of my way to insult others, I feel no pity for people who suffer at their own hand. I do begin to take exceptions when someone wants to disturb my peace by being lout and proud about their deficiency though. There is alot of that going on around the world today. Nobel Prizes for warmongers, sainthood for gender confusion, victimization for bad lifestyle choices...the list goes on. It's very easy to become irritated by all of that. This video is just a reaction to it and no more original than most of the other opinions you'll find online.

I must be misunderstanding you, I am not overweight at all and train at gym 3-5 times a week

I think this whole " fat shaming " is reprehensible. Its not only childish but why would a person of normal and rationale thinking feel the need to tease and mock fat people ?

Please explain this to me ?

bad syntax because i posted very late at night and wasnt paying attention so you missunderstood.

i dont say that non fat people feel the need to shame fat people. im saying that fat people feel ashamed of their own body and think that everyone is making fun of them even if nobody cares, so they preemptivelly attack non fat people to feel safe from the possibility of mocking.

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 1

-Teknoman2-

It comes down to eating everything in moderation and having some form of exercise in your life. Beyond that, the science seems to make it a crapshoot because it's ever changing.

Exactly. Do this and everything else takes are of itself. I consider myself to be in good shape, not just for my age but period. I don't exercise but I am very active, I do a lot of manual labor around my home like wood cutting, garden work, etc. I think I'm what you would call "farmer strong". But it's not my job nor my place to see to anyone's fitness but my own (and my dogs). So if I see an overweight person eating the king size Whopper meal at Burger King with the extra large chocolate shake I'll I'd say is enjoy your lunch.  

It's funny. The liberals here in the US get all hackled up about a woman's right to do as she pleases with her body when it comes to abortion and then are ready to crucify that same woman for eating something they disapprove of if the is a little past what THEY call overweight. I guess a woman's right to choose isn't absolute in their twisted little minds.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Exactly. Do this and everything else takes are of itself. I consider myself to be in good shape, not just for my age but period. I don't exercise but I am very active, I do a lot of manual labor around my home like wood cutting, garden work, etc. I think I'm what you would call "farmer strong". But it's not my job nor my place to see to anyone's fitness but my own (and my dogs). So if I see an overweight person eating the king size Whopper meal at Burger King with the extra large chocolate shake I'll I'd say is enjoy your lunch.  

It's funny. The liberals here in the US get all hackled up about a woman's right to do as she pleases with her body when it comes to abortion and then are ready to crucify that same woman for eating something they disapprove of if the is a little past what THEY call overweight. I guess a woman's right to choose isn't absolute in their twisted little minds.

Come now GD...that sounds like hyperbole  :ermm:

You can't say that it is a commonly held view of liberals to criticize overweight women ....in fact that sounds very un-liberal  :biggrin:

John Milton 

everything is hypocritical in this world.

a religion says "all humans are brothers" but they forget to mention the next part of the phrase "except those that we dont like"

-Teknoman2-

a religion says "all humans are brothers" but they forget to mention the next part of the phrase "except those that we dont like"

My friend I can help you, I follow SJ causes. There is no hypocrisy in that once you understand the context..come join me

You will feel a much more liberated and fulfilled person once you get into the habit of judging people with no feeling of remorse   :biggrin: ...oh to be honest some people will not like you but you need to accept that and remember you need to make posts and decisions on the principle and not what you think people may say 

John Milton 

U KNO WHAT THE INTERNET REALLY NEEDS?

A video calling out how ****ing retarded that stupid jump-cut **** all the youtubers do is. Dude why are you doing a jump cut every two seconds? Are you that incapable of speaking clearly and flawlessly for longer than half a sentence, thus you have to edit the flawless portions together in a desperate attempt to save it? Do you not see how outrageously obnoxious that level of frequency with jump cuts is? Is this some sort of counter-ADHD tactic that's supposed to keep my attention drawn in even if I happened to be ADHD? Cause all it does is piss me off and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that regard.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Exactly. Do this and everything else takes are of itself. I consider myself to be in good shape, not just for my age but period. I don't exercise but I am very active, I do a lot of manual labor around my home like wood cutting, garden work, etc. I think I'm what you would call "farmer strong".

I sympathize, but please understand, this is simply luck on your part. Your own experience is not sufficient to establish a general principle that can be extended to other people, which is compounded by the fact that it's based on something as unspecific as "moderation". Not trying to be an ass here, but that's not really helpful. As a counterpoint, I could use my own example: if I eat everything in moderation, I shed weight FAST. This is bad news because generally, less lbm = less strength. And I'm not even hardcore about training. Perhaps because what you view as "moderation" is different to my own idea. I have also met people who had weight problems and were honestly convinced that they didn't eat that much. They simply weren't aware of the mistakes they were making. Others thought they could offset their excesses at the table with more exercise. Ask anyone who's serious: the hard part isn't what you do in the weight room, it's what you have to do once you step outside.

I'm thinking that you also probably have a good idea of what's healthy and what isn't, and especially what not to go overboard with. Odds are you also have access to high quality, satiating foods. Start changing parameters, and moderation just doesn't cut it anymore: you are going to need help to get your eating habits sorted out.

(not a sales pitch in any way, just sharing a different perspective...)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

My friend I can help you, I follow SJ causes. There is no hypocrisy in that once you understand the context..come join me

You will feel a much more liberated and fulfilled person once you get into the habit of judging people with no feeling of remorse   :biggrin: ...oh to be honest some people will not like you but you need to accept that and remember you need to make posts and decisions on the principle and not what you think people may say 

Remember Bruce, the urge to save the world is only a false front for the desire to rule it. So the question us are you a part of the plot or a dupe?

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Remember Bruce, the urge to save the world is only a false front for the desire to rule it. So the question us are you a part of the plot or a dupe?

Good question, yes sometimes it gets frustrating because I don't agree in certain cases where there are leaders who run countries and there citizens suffer ...like North Korea 

But I have learnt to focus on things I have some understanding and influence on ...like SJ issues in Western countries and always Africa 

So its no dupe and there are real success stories, like the gay marriage bill in the USA 

John Milton 

Exactly. Do this and everything else takes are of itself. I consider myself to be in good shape, not just for my age but period. I don't exercise but I am very active, I do a lot of manual labor around my home like wood cutting, garden work, etc. I think I'm what you would call "farmer strong".

I sympathize, but please understand, this is simply luck on your part. Your own experience is not sufficient to establish a general principle that can be extended to other people, which is compounded by the fact that it's based on something as unspecific as "moderation". Not trying to be an ass here, but that's not really helpful. As a counterpoint, I could use my own example: if I eat everything in moderation, I shed weight FAST. This is bad news because generally, less lbm = less strength. And I'm not even hardcore about training. Perhaps because what you view as "moderation" is different to my own idea. I have also met people who had weight problems and were honestly convinced that they didn't eat that much. They simply weren't aware of the mistakes they were making. Others thought they could offset their excesses at the table with more exercise. Ask anyone who's serious: the hard part isn't what you do in the weight room, it's what you have to do once you step outside.

I'm thinking that you also probably have a good idea of what's healthy and what isn't, and especially what not to go overboard with. Odds are you also have access to high quality, satiating foods. Start changing parameters, and moderation just doesn't cut it anymore: you are going to need help to get your eating habits sorted out.

(not a sales pitch in any way, just sharing a different perspective...)

I'm going to have to agree.

As a former fatty(was 5'10'' and 260 pounds at my worst) it was incredibly difficult to get healthy and I would have failed if I didn't have help. Planning a healthy diet requires information sorely lacking from the public education system here, ditto with the exercise routine, and maintaining the willpower to go through with it when you are bombarded by desires to fall off the wagon and feel uncomfortable(to out it lightly) almost all the time is an incredibly difficult thing to pull off. Not to mention work, school, and various life maintenance **** eating up those precious hours you need to pull off getting into or keeping in shape.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

The pendulum can also swing in the opposite direction, too - although being underweight is not considered to be as "bad" as being overweight (even though being underweight usually has more serious health effects, particularly when it comes to so-called "extreme" cases, which can more or less incapacitate you pretty quickly if you're there yourself) because you stay moderately "normal"-looking, I guess, unless it's to the point where you're actually bed-ridden or going to die/become comatose. It's a struggle for a lot of people, regardless of where you fall. original.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.