What you did today

Blarghagh

Finally open for business and I hit right the beginning of capital control in Greece. All bookings I had got cancelled.

So invited a couple of friends over today for pizza and board gaming. We were playing Sentinels Tactics and my raptor bot was chewing up Baron Blade when the phone started ringing in the basement (at 01:10AM). I ran into the house, into the basement and reached the phone just as it forwarded the call to my mobile - which obviously was still lying in the garden next to my raptor bot. So I ran back up, stared at the number and called them back. A lady explained to me that her booking wasn't going through and she'd like to confirm that her party of 9 would have a place to stay the next day. Five nights. Hope they show up. Guess I'll know in eight hours or so.

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Why do Brits say sport instead of sports and maths instead of math? Is it just us being unique? I never really paid that much attention to it before but I've been hanging around more expats and it sounds odd to my ear and really stands out

I'd like to know, too. Also why are single companies referred to in the plural. 'Bethesda face an uphill battle convincing nincompoops Fallout 4 will be orders above what Obsidian have done'. And, in hospital. 'Have you seen Jane? No, she's in hospital with an eye infection. Oh, I thought she was on holiday. No, turns out she got her maths wrong while walking to the ministry of boffins.' 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I would say because both are terms that describe a broad field. Sport is well, sport. It isn't a plural of disciplines. You have football and track. Both are a discipline or kind of sport, but you don't have two sports, you have two disciplines.

Maths is just short for mathematics. Mathematics includes many different fields such as algebra and trigonometry, but you don't have one mathematic and another mathematic equals two mathematics.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's been bugging me for a while so I kept looking and found this about math vs maths

Not sure how credible it is but it's on the internet so you know. They also had an interesting video on the difference between how people say numbers in the US vs UK

Haven't found anything as in depth about sport and sports though

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I just finished upgrading my work PC to Win 10 Pro. Now to figure out where everything went. laughing.gif

We still haven't moved off XP here. :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just finished upgrading my work PC to Win 10 Pro. Now to figure out where everything went. laughing.gif

We still haven't moved off XP here. :lol:

What !!!

You know Microsoft now requires you to pay for support for XP? Its not free anymore ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/end-support-help

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Silly Secret Wars man you get attached to a book and some spurious summer send off couched as a massive comic book reboot takes the love out of going to the shop every week no more Phil Noto Black Widow I'm not angry just disappointed I mean what's going to happen to Natasha I already lost Jennifer what's the point starting over with all new all different number ones if they're going kaput in twenty issues anyway dammit my eye is twitching again

tumblr_ns9847I3Mi1qhyhwto1_500_zpsqbiul7

Well, Black Widow #20 is on the stands today. It’s been an amazing ride.  A big thanks to Axel Alonso who originally pitched me the idea of drawing this book, Ellie Pyle, who was the best editor anyone could ask for, Jake Thomas, who kept us going flawlessly for the second half, Clayton Cowles, who lettered the book beautifully, month in and month out and of course Nathan Edmondson, who created such a perfect version of Natasha and her world. It was a thrill to draw all those scripts. Last but not least  , THANKS to all of YOU who supported the book and kept it going for almost 2 years! Nathan and I have been so happy with the reception to our run on this book. It made it a pleasure creating these stories for you.

All Stop. On Screen.

Family crises and alcoholism: avoid both of them at all costs, folks, and absolutely never mix 'em together...particularly when there are children involved. Praying that everything turns out for the best (and that I'm not dead) over the next few days.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Fingers crossed.

So they showed up and they like the place. :)

But of course nothing can be simple. They were at a different Hotel when they called me.

Their luggage hadn't arrived on their flight from Crete. The hotel had a name that promised a certain view. The name suggested they'd be lounging at the beach. The Hotel wasn't in view of the promised view. The area around the hotel had nothing to do. So they were sitting in a hotel that didn't provide them what had been promised, without their luggage or anything to do, only to find out that the wifi was spotty as well.

Which explains why they called me after 1AM :p

But yesterday their luggage had still not arrived. So they felt bad about leaving the Hotel when their luggage would be delivered there. They ended up comming to me today, for 4 nights instead of the 5.

Their luggage is still missing :p

• Like 2

Family crises and alcoholism: avoid both of them at all costs, folks, and absolutely never mix 'em together...particularly when there are children involved. Praying that everything turns out for the best (and that I'm not dead) over the next few days.

Best of luck. Alcoholism in the family is tough for everyone.

• Like 1

Today I celebrated my right to own guns in buying a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun with external hammers. I love classic wood n' steel guns.

She is a beauty, I love the light colored wood and fit and finish is superb. 

doublewold1_zpsmqo97hfn.jpg

doublewold2_zpssutkkhnd.jpg

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Do you do any bird hunting or clay shooting, Woldan?

I'll go shoot clays with it someday but first I'll try some slugs and see how they do at 25 and 50 meters. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I have to love my country, I have just heard a serious interview with a guy who is representing the South African Communist party.....this is despite the fact  currently all our parastatals require billions of rands of bailouts to keep them afloat and only the private sector is profitable ...yet this guy thinks the government will somehow be able to manage the large private sector :lol: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Beginning to realize that just staring and blinking at people does better to convey anger than cursing. Ah some day, the hipsters and yuppies in my area will learn to put their dogs on a leash (and not get angry if I block them off from my dogs with my knees).

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Beginning to realize that just staring and blinking at people does better to convey anger than cursing. Ah some day, the hipsters and yuppies in my area will learn to put their dogs on a leash (and not get angry if I block them off from my dogs with my knees).

Have you slapped anymore women for wanting to hit your dog....you know its a quiet day if that hasn't occurred  ;)

John Milton 

that was an eventful night... had a customer flip out on me in my face because a clerical error had her being charged twice (mildly understandable), but then she takes the car I gave her, calls her bank on my phone, and disputes the charges to pull them off her account.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

that was an eventful night... had a customer flip out on me in my face because a clerical error had her being charged twice (mildly understandable), but then she takes the car I gave her, calls her bank on my phone, and disputes the charges to pull them off her account.

She flipped out before or after you fixed the problem? I've found that if you can get a word in edgewise early in the torrent of verbal abuse and explain the solution, people usually calm down. Then again, some people become even more inflamed at "interruptions". Heh.

Back when I worked as a travel agent, I wrongly charged this charming Brazilian lady several thousand €... and failed to issue any tickets while at it. Stupid Amadeus won't let you issue tickets unless the correct amount is charged, down to the cent. I had  to make a second (correct) charge to get a useable payment order to issue her tickets. I was both scared ****less and baffled that she seemed much less preoccupied about the money than she was about making sure her seats were guaranteed. The original payment order wasn't confirmed so she was automatically refunded, eventually.

That said, I much prefer dealing with the odd double charge than having to constantly demand that customers pay up after the service is booked and confirmed.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Got an email from a french lady inquiring about a room. Does it have air conditioning. What are the windows like (I wonder what dungeons people have ended up staying in for them to worry about windows). But most importantly she had heard the neighbourhood was loud.

I replied to her that especially on Fridays the area is really loud. That Saturdays and Sundays can be very lively as well. But that as the architect I did everything I could to mitigate the noise, and that from what I have been told so far, people have been sleeping very well.

Got a reply back that she'd like to confirm the booking because she likes the photos and because she appreciates the honest reply.

Score one for honesty :)

• Like 2