Supreme Court: Same-sex couples can marry in all 50 states

Gfted1

To be fair, they were hipsters trying to be funny. I wasn't offended or off put, myself. I mean, c'mon...it IS San Francisco.

Okay fair enough, I see the context :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Westboro Baptist Church must be going effing crazy

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think having the state(the US in this case, not individual states) being the arbitrator if what constitutes a "legitimate" relationship between individuals was a mistake in the first place. People should be free to marry who they wish without interference from the state.

They already are, if by "marry" you mean "make wedding vows before witnesses (and god if that's your thing), and live together accordingly".

The question is, which of those marriages should receive state recognition along with tax benefits and bureaucratic/legal conveniences.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I think having the state(the US in this case, not individual states) being the arbitrator if what constitutes a "legitimate" relationship between individuals was a mistake in the first place. People should be free to marry who they wish without interference from the state.

They already are, if by "marry" you mean "make wedding vows before witnesses (and god if that's your thing), and live together accordingly".

The question is, which of those marriages should receive state recognition along with tax benefits and bureaucratic/legal conveniences.

That is problem when you make something legal institution, then it becomes civil right issue for every group of people that you don't permit to take part that institution. If state had never given marriage legal status, then there would not had been any fights to wider or limit groups of people that are permitted by law to participate in that institution.

• Like 2

Westboro Baptist Church must be going effing crazyer

Fixed it for you. :)

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Barti let me give you better input, get into the habit of only saying on a forum what you are prepared to say to people to there faces. That way you will find you will very seldom say anything really offensive original.gif

If that is the policy I took here, you'd never see me in these forums again. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The trick is to not give a **** what others say. Respecting an opinion goes both ways. You are not a bigot by sticking to your opinion, no matter if i, or anyone else disagree/agree´s with you. Your opinion is as worthy as anyone else.

Yeah...that's good in theory...but not so much in practice when getting along with others is pretty much required for your time to be constructive. :p

Yeah, I'd go one step further and say that it's not even that good in theory, let me explain (pedantic **** mode ON).

If you don't give a **** what others say, there is no point in posting or saying anything, ever — just thinking or writing in a journal would accomplish the same result and is more convenient. And if you only care about what others say if  they agree with you, that is also pointless, as they already agree with you and reinforcing the same point accomplishes nothing, much like yelling inside an empty cave. It makes no sense to care only about what others say if they agree with you after you convince them, because you can *not* know before listening to their reaction if they agree. So this leaves only two possibilities: either you don't care what people think and only speak because you love the sound of your own voice, or you speak in order to elicit a reaction, whatever that may be, so you do in fact care about what others say. If only because, barring physical demonstrations, you need to listen to their reaction to know that your message has been received at all, and is intelligible.

Speaking up and not giving a **** about what other people say is about as sensible as a deaf person that cannot read lips and doesn't know sign language trying to have a conversation.

(no, I don't really have anything useful to add to the legal debate)

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The trick is to not give a **** what others say. Respecting an opinion goes both ways. You are not a bigot by sticking to your opinion, no matter if i, or anyone else disagree/agree´s with you. Your opinion is as worthy as anyone else.

Yeah...that's good in theory...but not so much in practice when getting along with others is pretty much required for your time to be constructive. :p

Yeah, I'd go one step further and say that it's not even that good in theory, let me explain (pedantic **** mode ON).

If you don't give a **** what others say, there is no point in posting or saying anything, ever — just thinking or writing in a journal would accomplish the same result and is more convenient. And if you only care about what others say if  they agree with you, that is also pointless, as they already agree with you and reinforcing the same point accomplishes nothing, much like yelling inside an empty cave. It makes no sense to care only about what others say if they agree with you after you convince them, because you can *not* know before listening to their reaction if they agree. So this leaves only two possibilities: either you don't care what people think and only speak because you love the sound of your own voice, or you speak in order to elicit a reaction, whatever that may be, so you do in fact care about what others say. If only because, barring physical demonstrations, you need to listen to their reaction to know that your message has been received at all, and is intelligible.

Speaking up and not giving a **** about what other people say is about as sensible as a deaf person that cannot read lips and doesn't know sign language trying to have a conversation.

This is an interesting post and raises the question " why do we engage in debates on the Internet "  ?

I participate in debates to give people a different perspective and to sometimes correct a spurious view someone may have. I also like to learn new things about topics and that also happens sometimes when people give there views 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is an interesting post and raises the question " why do we engage in debates on the Internet "  ?

I participate in debates to give people a different perspective and to sometimes correct a spurious view someone may have. I also like to learn new things about topics and that also happens sometimes when people give there views 

For me it always has been about self improvement, it's hard to find the people and the time to debate and test one's ideals but the internet has the benefits of connecting the whole world and keeping records for posterity. Doesn't mean that every argument is worth it but that's one of the reason I like these forums, the people here are worth it.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

For me it always has been about self improvement, it's hard to find the people and the time to debate and test one's ideals but the internet has the benefits of connecting the whole world and keeping records for posterity. Doesn't mean that every argument is worth it but that's one of the reason I like these forums, the people here are worth it.

Good points, you are an example of someone who has taught me new things on these forums like your input around the reality of Indie developers and how they get treated 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Passes the time at work, mainly.

Oh and

duty_calls.png

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Passes the time at work, mainly.

Oh and

duty_calls.png

:lol:

John Milton 

online_communities.png

god, that crap is old

First time I have seen this, it made me laugh  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Old indeed. It was  before facebook (when myspace was the place) and even usenet got mentioned.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Youtube needs to be more wasteland-esque.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And our first challenger, in the red corner, Texas!

So basically they are saying that they can refuse to do their job as public servants, on religious grounds. ...can they actually do that? And if they can, could I exercise my discretion to pay taxes on moral grounds? Heh.

I foresee lawsuits... lots of lawsuits.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

And our first challenger, in the red corner, Texas!

The Federal government needs to find an efficient and resounding way to put this to rest....we really need consistency and reasonableness on this issue 

John Milton