Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

^Not 100% sure what scenario you're talking about, but there are two forces at work when introducing new characters in US comic books:

1) Most readers will read the adventures of All-Ready-Published Man whereas they won't read the adventures of Brand-New-Never-Heard-Of-Him-Before Boy

2) Companies have to continue using trademarks to have them continue to be considered trademarks for governmental protection. 

If Established-Character Lass didn't sell well the last time around, you can rebadge Established-Character Lass' trademark name to a new character and strike both birds with one stone - a name the reader recognizes and use of an established trademark.  If the comic fails you can always bring back original Established-Character Lass (because the fans demanded it!) or create a third Established-Character Lass the next time the trademark needs to be trotted out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, it's pretty obvious why they do it. It's just that it comes with its own set of problems, including that as a minority the only way to be represented is to start white. :lol:

Seriously though, these disingenuous stunt race/genderbenders seem counterproductive more than anything else to me simply because of the amount of controversy they create. They're not doing it for inclusivity, they're doing it for news coverage, and it seems to be creating more opponents than proponents.

• Like 1

Developing is harder than patching, and people are terribly lazy.

Actually I would say that developing is more time consuming and patching is harder.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

^Not 100% sure what scenario you're talking about, but there are two forces at work when introducing new characters in US comic books:

1) Most readers will read the adventures of All-Ready-Published Man whereas they won't read the adventures of Brand-New-Never-Heard-Of-Him-Before Boy

2) Companies have to continue using trademarks to have them continue to be considered trademarks for governmental protection. 

If Established-Character Lass didn't sell well the last time around, you can rebadge Established-Character Lass' trademark name to a new character and strike both birds with one stone - a name the reader recognizes and use of an established trademark.  If the comic fails you can always bring back original Established-Character Lass (because the fans demanded it!) or create a third Established-Character Lass the next time the trademark needs to be trotted out.

I get what you're saying and understand the logic behind it, I just think it's a bad idea that doesn't really address representation of (insert whatever here) in media. Granted I've been disillusioned with capes for a while as is, and find myself gravitating towards comics that aren't capes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Established characters weren't always established.  Every thing of fiction was  a 'rookie' at some point and had to prove its 'worth' to any potential audience. Claiming that you need to use x repeatedly because the new y won't sell is bullocks, lazy, and cowardly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I get what you're saying and understand the logic behind it, I just think it's a bad idea that doesn't really address representation of (insert whatever here) in media. Granted I've been disillusioned with capes for a while as is, and find myself gravitating towards comics that aren't capes.

I read whatever piques my interest.  Don't care about the genre.  Favorite comic out right now is Manifest Destiny, but there's a lot to like from the major publishers.

Established characters weren't always established.  Every thing of fiction was  a 'rookie' at some point and had to prove its 'worth' to any potential audience. Claiming that you need to use x repeatedly because the new y won't sell is bullocks, lazy, and cowardly.

Comic book sales in the US actually prove you wrong.  Most comic book readers will not buy brand new characters.  The new characters who sell are generally using older names or relaunches of older properties.  Two of Marvel better selling new books are Ms. Marvel (new character using an existing name) and Gwen Stacy Spiderwoman (aka Spider-Gwen) an alternate universe take on existing character Gwen Stacy being the one who got Spider-powers.

Understand that the market for comic books is primarily a fan market and it makes sense how the market is going to favor retreading old ideas (because they're not in the same position of yesteryear where they have a growing and changing market).

Yeah, it's pretty obvious why they do it. It's just that it comes with its own set of problems, including that as a minority the only way to be represented is to start white. :lol:

Seriously though, these disingenuous stunt race/genderbenders seem counterproductive more than anything else to me simply because of the amount of controversy they create. They're not doing it for inclusivity, they're doing it for news coverage, and it seems to be creating more opponents than proponents.

In comics, the characters don't suddenly change race or gender - although it does happens too, usually in reboots.  Usually a new character of a new race adopts an old moniker.  For example the aforementioned Ms. Marvel is a fan of Carol Danvers - the previous Ms. Marvel.  Danvers now uses the name Captain Marvel, previously used by three generally deceased members of the Vel family of Kree warriors.

Adaptions usually just cast a minority (like James Olsen in Supergirl, Pete Ross in Smallville, Perry White in Man of Steel) so they were always a minority in that universe.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

lol

http://i.imgur.com/nlpUQQM.png

No wonder they had problem with censorship a year back.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually I would say that developing is more time consuming and patching is harder.

Developing is far harder, well, if you want to do it right anyway :lol: Patching can be pretty easy and low effort, particularly with this shallow context.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Developing is far harder, well, if you want to do it right anyway :lol: Patching can be pretty easy and low effort, particularly with this shallow context.

Patching is easy if you're lazy and don't care if take a tangled mess and add another one on top of it. But it becomes near impossible to untangle the whole thing and fix it. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So this just happened:

1433800049504.png

Ubisoft has banned Kotaku from attending their events.

• Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Waiting for answers from the end of the last thread.

Waiting for answers from whom ?

If its me do you mind repeating the questions?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Call me crazy, but I find retconning established history, both real world and fictitious, for the purposes of being able to include a token characters so that you can trumpet how 'diverse' your work is and show off your ethnicity checklist a heck of a lot more offensive than creating a work that does not include a diverse cast but sticks to a cohesive theme.

In my opinion, it seems a bit insulting that instead of creating an interesting character of whatever ethnicity/race(black most of the time) they insist on changing a white character into a black character. Like putting on blackface and saying that's good enough.

I notice you guys have conveniently  ignored my solution to this whole Magneto issue. Why can't he be a black Jewish character? You do get black Jewish people...yes I don't think any black Jews were kept in concentration camps but its a comic...we do allow artistic licence ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You accused me of lying and pursuing a false agenda, please provide factual evidence to corroborate this.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Was Kotaku the spearhead for the Farcry 4 "Whitewash" campaign? Just trying to figure out the reason for their not being invited to the Ubisoft booth. I am sure there are other reasons, but that incident is the one sticking out in my mind.

Call me crazy, but I find retconning established history, both real world and fictitious, for the purposes of being able to include a token characters so that you can trumpet how 'diverse' your work is and show off your ethnicity checklist a heck of a lot more offensive than creating a work that does not include a diverse cast but sticks to a cohesive theme.

In my opinion, it seems a bit insulting that instead of creating an interesting character of whatever ethnicity/race(black most of the time) they insist on changing a white character into a black character. Like putting on blackface and saying that's good enough.

I notice you guys have conveniently  ignored my solution to this whole Magneto issue. Why can't he be a black Jewish character? You do get black Jewish people...yes I don't think any black Jews were kept in concentration camps but its a comic...we do allow artistic licence ?

Let's make him transgender too. If we put all our ethnic and sexual minorities in one character that leaves more room for other white characters.

There is no Magneto issue, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When he was played by Sir Ian I always presumed Gandalf Magneto was gay and had had a fling with Captain Picard when younger. Bit of a shock finding out he'd actually been boffing Katniss during that earlier timeframe a few movies later. Then again, I never read the comics.

Not invited isn't really banned though.

When he was played by Sir Ian I always presumed Gandalf Magneto was gay and had had a fling with Captain Picard when younger. Bit of a shock finding out he'd actually been boffing Katniss during that earlier timeframe a few movies later. Then again, I never read the comics.

Not invited isn't really banned though.

Fine, fine. Shunned is a better word then.

qWRR3RX.jpg

How can a being so joyless exist?

How is it possible?

He hasn't learned to overcome himself for his shortcomings and now he is projecting.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You accused me of lying and pursuing a false agenda, please provide factual evidence to corroborate this.

I take back the lying accusation, you are at times guilty of spewing rhetoric and grandstanding and your opinion is sometimes woefully misinformed but that's not the same thing as intentionally lying. I believe you believe what you say is true

Sorry for the  misplaced lying accusation

John Milton 

I take back the lying accusation, you are at times guilty of spewing rhetoric and grandstanding and your opinion is sometimes woefully misinformed but that's not the same thing as intentionally lying. I believe you believe what you say is true

Sorry for the  misplaced lying accusation

Your apology is accepted. You may choose to believe that I spew rhetoric and grandstand, though voicing ones opinions in a clear, concise fashion is neither, however that is subjective so i'll let it pass.

However you accused me of pursuing a false agenda and now being woefully misinformed, please provide factual evidence to corroborate this.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Because your solution doesn't fix the perceived problem (which is that Magneto, tied to WWII concentration camps is at least in his 80s) that led to the suggestion to move the character to the 50s/60s and anchored by the US Civil Rights movement. However, as I indicated, this only swaps an 80 year old Magneto for a 70 Year old Magneto, so the issue of age and being tied to a specific point in time is still at play.

There are only a handful of WWII era characters around in the Marvel U, and all of them have backstory explanations for why they aren't 80 to 90 in their physicality (Captain America - frozen in ice, Spitfire - vampire, Human Torch - Android, Winter Soldier - Kept in stasis, Namor & Namora - Atlantean Physiology, GA Vision - alien from another dimension, the remainder of The Twelve - kept in stasis, Wolverine - can't age due to regeneration, Mystique - aging irrelevant due to powers, etc).

There are ways to deal with this issue that doesn't require changing Magneto into a different character, though.

Edit: wrote "Magento" at least once.  Totally different character.

Edited by Amentep

qWRR3RX.jpg

How can a being so joyless exist?

How is it possible?

Never thought there was a message to "Be the Batman". Parents beware, I guess. As for deciding to engage in combat with someone, well, the famous Sun Tzu adage applies

Edited by Malcador