Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

I think the twitter account is a very complex piece of performance art.

Now you guys are just clutching your pearls at whatever comes out of their mouths.

I think it's funny myself, but whatever helps you get your rocks off mate.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Isn't this whole hullabaloo over some board owner closing a forum purely about hating fat people? Is this what constitutes as "persecution" these days?

In case you haven't noticed, reddit and the media are triumphly declaring that it is not censorship. It is about creating sound environments for constructive discussion. We do not need a history book to know what kind of spiral they have started now.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think it's funny myself.

Fantasy does not spring out of nothing but is in fact produced within the confines of reality, in turn this fantasy can then influence how others perceive or respond to reality.

I don't know, I guess he worded fairly melodramatically.

In case you haven't noticed, reddit and the media are triumphly declaring that it is not censorship.

I'd have thought this is an example of someone maintaining acceptable standards on their own private board.

Are you saying internet boards should be held communally, comrade?

Edited by Barothmuk

Isn't this whole hullabaloo over some board owner closing a forum purely about hating fat people? Is this what constitutes as "persecution" these days?

In case you haven't noticed, reddit and the media are triumphly declaring that it is not censorship. It is about creating sound environments for constructive discussion. We do not need a history book to know what kind of spiral they have started now.

But I would really recommend reading some history books, because then maybe you'd spend less time worrying about this stuff.  

I think it's funny myself.

Fantasy does not spring out of nothing but is in fact produced within the confines of reality, in turn this fantasy can then influence how others perceive or respond to reality.

I don't know, I guess he worded fairly melodramatically.

Ah, but that only focuses on "unrelated". I'd argue that to most sane folk fantasy and reality being "separate" and "distinct" is true, at least in the sense that they are easily able to tell them apart as separate.

Of course, this is probably reading too much into what is an edgy liberal navel gazing over a latte.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes, yes. We all know when someone tries to control forms of communication and saying that it is not censorship, only good times are ahead. Historically and eternally.

if reddit have said that they will now implement a censorship beauro and declaring censorship is good for the site, i wouldn't have cared one bit.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes it is about creating  a sound environment for discussion, those are exactly the words I would have used ...you know whats weird?  I have been saying this for months that you should ban certain discussions as they do nothing but promote hate and a negative vibe for those targeted. You guys thought I was being like some kind of extremist..guess my suggestion wasn't that bad

And the saddest thing about this situation is I know most of you will see this as confirmation that these websites are deeply flawed instead of seeing the positive 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes it is about creating  a sound environment for discussion, those are exactly the words I would have used ...you know whats weird?  I have been saying this for months that you should ban certain discussions as they do nothing but promote hate and a negative vibe for those targeted. You guys thought I was being like some kind of extremist..guess my suggestion wasn't that bad

And the saddest thing about this situation is I know most of you will see this as confirmation that these websites are deeply flawed instead of seeing the positive 

Like clockwork. It's never censorship when the good guys do it.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Making an environment more inclusive and less antagonistic should not be seen as censorship

I wish you realized this 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Making an environment more inclusive and less antagonistic should not be seen as censorship

I wish you realized this 

:lol: :lol:

EngSoc is looking for a propagandist, you should send your resume :)

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

This guy gets it:

a8ed4fa74d.png

• Like 4

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

From what I've heard now, the hullabaloo is over the fact that after getting a new CEO who happened to be a feminist, reddit announced to crack down on "harassment", but then:

• Began by banning 5 subreddits which didn't harass anyone, just hosted very childish / politically incorrect content (e.g. posted memes ridiculing fat people in general, but without actually contacting or even harassing any particular real-life fat person).

• All the while, the radical-feminist and SJW subreddits which exist purely for organizing targeted harassment campaigns against real-life individuals (e.g. sending threats to their homes; calling their neighbors/landlords/employers to badmouth them; etc.) continue to enjoy the full protection of reddit.

• When called out on that, reddit admins responded with silence, except for one brief statement explaining that those feminist subreddits won't be banned because "We ban behaviors, not ideas" - which is pretty much the opposite of what they've been doing (see previous 2 points), and thus came across as a slap in the face to many redditors who were seeking clarity about the new rules. And thus, outrage ensued.

In other words, its not about the loss of some fringe anti-fat-people subreddit which probably hardly anyone knew about or visited anyway, but rather the hypocrisy and slanted politicization of reddit's new "anti-harassment" rules (and the way they're implemented) by the company's new leadership.

Although I'm just looking at this whole thing from the outside, and don't hold any stakes in the reddit community.

Even if reddit becomes a SJW-only safespace, nothing of value will have been lost imo.

PS: Though the "It's all about the Ad money" theory posted by Meshugger above is probably more credible than the "It's a feminist purge" one.

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Advertisers that rely on good public image react more strongly to politically incorrect and jailbait material. Since SJWs is still an internet thing and are fighting a "good" cause they will not have the same heavy baggage as others, thus this "oversight" of hypocrisy. But as Gamergate showed, the pendelum is starting to swing and they are now starting to have the same negative image as the ones i mentioned before.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Saw this amusing post on the front of /r/all just now. :) I am sure you guys will like it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/39ovi1/ellen_pao_is_now_retweeting_brianna_wu_its_ogre/

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

KotakuInAction is over 40k strong.

CvfHQYW.png?1

I'm not sure if a Warhammer 40K Space Marine is the wisest image to associate with Vivian James.  I mean, I get it 40K members Warhammer 40K, also, on the surface, Space Marines are a cool thing that a lot of people like (I'm pro-Ork, so I'm not a big fan myself).  However, unless I'm seriously misunderstanding Warhammer 40K lore, and I'm by no means an expert on the matter, there are more than a few parallels between the Imperium of Man and Nazi Germany.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That and there are no female Astartes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The ride never ends. Voat has experience its second DDoS-attack within 24 hours since the exodus started from Reddit.

1434314271660.jpg

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

CHgi2MJWgAALnbj.png

Complaining that the Doom is violent is pretty much the same as complaining that the water is wet when you go swimming. They also complained about Fallout 4 being violent, but what would you expect from these two? Perhaps something like this:

NSfnFNT.jpg

"You can play as a woman or as a man in Dishonored 2 and that's bad."

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

They're like Marge Simpson is to Itchy & Scratchy.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

CHgi2MJWgAALnbj.png

Complaining that the Doom is violent is pretty much the same as complaining that the water is wet when you go swimming. They also complained about Fallout 4 being violent, but what would you expect from these two? Perhaps something like this:

NSfnFNT.jpg

"You can play as a woman or as a man in Dishonored 2 and that's bad."

What do you expect from dumb people? :>

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."