Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

So here's an only half-joking question about representation in media - why is it positive to be represented in media other than an emotional response of "fairness"?

I'm asking because as a white nerdy dude i.e. the target audience of almost every piece of media, consuming media shapes a huge chunk of life to the point that I have made it my life - I'm a game developer despite the fact that there is no job security in that. I also suffer from depression and anxiety issues that I've had enormous difficulty to resolve which was made all the harder by the fact I have so much things to escape into and I have spent an inordinate amount of time and money watching movies, tv shows, playing games and talking about the aforementioned on the internet despite the fact that they give me no real benefit.

So what I'm saying is essentially, I feel like having media targeted at me may have made my life worse, and life worse in general (many have pointed out that an obsession with entertainment historically correlates with the decline of society, like with roman gladiators) and I wonder if the best course of action really is to spread the misery?

:lol:

So here's an only half-joking question about representation in media - why is it positive to be represented in media other than an emotional response of "fairness"?

I'm asking because as a white nerdy dude i.e. the target audience of almost every piece of media, consuming media shapes a huge chunk of life to the point that I have made it my life - I'm a game developer despite the fact that there is no job security in that. I also suffer from depression and anxiety issues that I've had enormous difficulty to resolve which was made all the harder by the fact I have so much things to escape into and I have spent an inordinate amount of time and money watching movies, tv shows, playing games and talking about the aforementioned on the internet despite the fact that they give me no real benefit.

So what I'm saying is essentially, I feel like having media targeted at me may have made my life worse, and life worse in general (many have pointed out that an obsession with entertainment historically correlates with the decline of society, like with roman gladiators) and I wonder if the best course of action really is to spread the misery?

I want to understand your point as it seems really interesting

Are you saying why should the media try to portray people in a  positive way as from your experience white people are on receiving end of criticism....do you prefer realism ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is this a joke ? A parody...?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The man truly is a legend.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Now that's what you call a very fine bit of trolling.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dear lord. *golf-clap*

In other news, there's an exodus going on reddit to voat, and the objective media are portraying it truthfully without trying to push any narrative at all:

RX34Ik8.png

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Does it give you pause when you can't figure out if someone who goes by "Genderqueer Muslim atheist. Born white in the #wrongskin" is for real or not?

These are confusing times, I do understand.

Does it give you pause when you can't figure out if someone who goes by "Genderqueer Muslim atheist. Born white in the #wrongskin" is for real or not?

These are confusing times, I do understand.

I never know with you guys ...so I would rather just ask 

John Milton 

In some ways it's a shame that the reddit censorship thing has blown up now, I'd like to see more about Rockstar upping the base price of GTAV 25% then having a 25% off sale that saves cents. That's actually illegal, here, (albeit what could be termed little i illegal rather than big I Illegal) and it really ought to be everywhere since it's an intrinsically deceptive practice.

• Like 1

In some ways it's a shame that the reddit censorship thing has blown up now, I'd like to see more about Rockstar upping the base price of GTAV 25% then having a 25% off sale that saves cents. That's actually illegal, here, (albeit what could be termed little i illegal rather than big I Illegal) and it really ought to be everywhere since it's an intrinsically deceptive practice.

Well that sounds scummy as ****. Anyone else doing something similar?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wow your NZ fact sheet was intimidating....." local farmer sells two sheep and demands they are allowed to sleep in the house " 

" Prominent  diary farmer adds 20 % to fat content of cheese  and deeply offends the   NZ opposed to fat in cheese society" 

" NZ  government funds  scientists to  investigate possibility of granting the Kiwi bird full  NZ citizenship " ....this was after a local  Christchurch women, Miss Mckay announced to the local radio station " I prefer my Kiwi bird to human interaction...the birds always seem to understand me " 

How do you survive?  I would die of boredom...maybe one day I would long for such a simple life but not now  :)

John Milton 

Are you saying why should the media try to portray people in a  positive way as from your experience white people are on receiving end of criticism....do you prefer realism ?

Um, no. That isn't even close to what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to say that white dudes are represented a lot in media and I'm not seeing the benefit - they say white dudes who consume media and technology are whiny manchildren, right? Well, how did they get that way? Why would you want the stuff that turns people into whiny manchildren to target you as an audience?

Um, no. That isn't even close to what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to say that white dudes are represented a lot in media and I'm not seeing the benefit - they say white dudes who consume media and technology are whiny manchildren, right? Well, how did they get that way? Why would you want the stuff that turns people into whiny manchildren to target you as an audience?

And just to be clear who is saying " white people are whiny manchildren " and how relevant is  that view to the  reality of modern society?

John Milton 

Well that sounds scummy as ****. Anyone else doing something similar?

I don't know actually, I'm not really following steam pricings much myself. I don't think it is a genuinely widespread phenomenon though, some early access games seem to be labelling discounts against the release price (rather than the EA price) of the game is about all I've heard of it otherwise. Still, I'm pretty sure most people would not like that practice to become widespread.

(It should be noted that they changed the price back on GTAV standalone and applied the discounts to its 'bundles' instead. Still a deceptive practise though, since instead of saving 25% on GTAV you'd actually be getting a free GTASA copy- or some game cash that renders its bundle unrefundable. At best the 'free' game is an ~6% discount on GTAV, taking the <$4 sale cost of the bundled game off the $60 base price)

Fair enough, I just wonder how other overweight people feel? You may be more of the exception

I just wonder why everyone thinks their feelings ****ing matter so much that there should legislation to protect them.

No original.gif

I'm not saying there should laws to protect overweight people from verbal abuse ....I'm saying civil society should just reject that "I don't like fat people forum "

In a civil society people would feel ashamed to be a burden on others and recognize that addiction is bad for yourself and those around you.

You want deal with idyllic examples then I can too imagine a society where people are responsible for themselves and don't become a 400 pound parasite.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Fair enough, I just wonder how other overweight people feel? You may be more of the exception

I just wonder why everyone thinks their feelings ****ing matter so much that there should legislation to protect them.

No original.gif

I'm not saying there should laws to protect overweight people from verbal abuse ....I'm saying civil society should just reject that "I don't like fat people forum "

In a civil society people would feel ashamed to be a burden on others and recognize that addiction is bad for yourself and those around you.

You want deal with idyllic examples then I can too imagine a society where people are responsible for themselves and don't become a 400 pound parasite.

I hear you and sometimes due to frustration  I just want to take that same view and basically condemn for example  overweight people for " not taking proper responsibility for there lives. If other people can do it then why can't they "

But I see this as a myopic view of the problem and to  be honest lacking in human empathy because you don't know all the reasons for obesity ...sometimes its medical. And also if we target overweight people then where do we stop?  Lets move onto drug addicts and depressed people  next and " stop being a drag on society and fix your issues" 

These types of issues are much more nuanced and complex than just dismissing them 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

No original.gif

I hear you and sometimes due to frustration  I just want to take that same view and basically condemn for example  overweight people for " not taking proper responsibility for there lives. If other people can do it then why can't they "

But I see this as a myopic view of the problem and to  be honest lacking in human empathy because you don't know all the reasons for obesity ...sometimes its medical. And also if we target overweight people then where do we stop?  Lets move onto drug addicts and depressed people  next and " stop being a drag on society and fix your issues" 

These types of issues are much more nuanced and complex than just dismissing them

Frustration is the name of the game and why you shouldn't try to change other people, they will resist because they see their "self" as themselves and fear change. So don't try because you will get frustrated and come to the natural conclusion that its easier to use force.

If I ever see an asthma patient that flat out refuses to use their inhaler while having an attack and resist every attempt to help them I would regard them as insane if they ever complained about the asthma they refuse to treat. People that are predisposed to becoming overweight are not excused, that just means that they have a condition they're aren't managing or refusing to.

I don't want to police anyone but if drug addicts try to say that heroin is an alternative lifestyle choice and that it should be legal then **** them and everyone that supports them. Same for other addictions including food addiction.

Its one thing to tolerate failure but changing meaning so that losers feel like winners even when there are clear health risks affects people negatively.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

No original.gif

Frustration is the name of the game and why you shouldn't try to change other people, they will resist because they see their "self" as themselves and fear change. So don't try because you will get frustrated and come to the natural conclusion that its easier to use force.

If I ever see an asthma patient that flat out refuses to use their inhaler while having an attack and resist every attempt to help them I would regard them as insane if they ever complained about the asthma they refuse to treat. People that are predisposed to becoming overweight are not excused, that just means that they have a condition they're aren't managing or refusing to.

I don't want to police anyone but if drug addicts try to say that heroin is an alternative lifestyle choice and that it should be legal then **** them and everyone that supports them. Same for other addictions including food addiction.

Its one thing to tolerate failure but changing meaning so that losers feel like winners even when there are clear health risks affects people negatively.

Imagine living in a society where people who consistently fail to improve there lives are removed from society and incarcerated until they change....gone...no more strain on the system right?

But I'm sure you can imagine the obvious issues...my main objection  being its just inhuman and against basic human rights 

And you right about the asthma example 

But I think the main reason I have to disagree with you is because of where I live ...if I judged or dismissed people on them being flawed i would be constantly judging large parts of my country....and I'm not prepared to do that because I believe in my country despite our challengers 

John Milton 

Imagine living in a society where people who consistently fail to improve there lives are removed from society and incarcerated until they change....gone...no more strain on the system right?

But I'm sure you can imagine the obvious issues...my main objection  being its just inhuman and against basic human rights 

But I think the main reason I have to disagree with you is because of where I live ...if I judged or dismissed people on them being flawed i would be constantly judging large parts of my country....and I'm not prepared to do that because I believe in my country despite our challengers

You seem to have missed the part where I said that i'm not for policing anyone i'm just against them changing terms so their condition is less of a stigma. Which it should be since it is unhealthy and while i'm not against fat people in general I would like to reserve the right to have an opinion on both their person and their condition without being persecuted because of being politically incorrect. Same desire also extends to a lot of other PC topics.

village_idiot.gif

You seem to have missed the part where I said that i'm not for policing anyone i'm just against them changing terms so their condition is less of a stigma. Which it should be since it is unhealthy and while i'm not against fat people in general I would like to reserve the right to have an opinion on both their person and their condition without being persecuted because of being politically incorrect. Same desire also extends to a lot of other PC topics.

Ah now we have a disagreement ...when you say "reserve the right to have an opinion on both their person and their condition without being persecuted because of being politically incorrect " does that mean you want to host a  "I hate fat people website " ?

John Milton 

Isn't this whole hullabaloo over some board owner closing a forum purely about hating fat people? Is this what constitutes as "persecution" these days?

Yeah, Reddit is now enforcing moderation....its another example of Politically Correct (PC) interference

Oh there is another enemy outside SJW....PC influence  :biggrin:

John Milton 

CHVA-8HUwAAIb_v.png

This explains so much.

I think the twitter account is a very complex piece of performance art.