Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

Clarification, Orogun...radicals like those you'd find in the recently banned reddit subs (with one in particular in mind), for example?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Apart from Shady would anyone else have a problem with Dishonored 2 only having a female character?

No, I would not really have a problem with it.

While I do prefer playing as a male character I greatly enjoyed Dishonored and would snap up the sequel regardless of what gender the protagonist is.

I do, however have problem with people going "It's a pity they still have a male protagonist." I mean like, what the hell.

The only reason someone would say than when the designers have purposefully designed a game with two distinct feeling characters in it is so that they can feel superior to those who would feel disappointed about the lack of a male option for them to experience the game from.

Similarly I dislike those who would disdain the developers for adding a female option when they obviously believe it adds to the experience simply because feminists would approve of the inclusion. Luckily I have only seen one rather grumpy post on /v/ that expressed those sentiments.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Whoops. Meant to edit my previous post. Somehow ended up quoting myself.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Clarification, Orogun...radicals like those you'd find in the recently banned reddit subs (with one in particular in mind), for example?

Whatever you believe to be the lesser of two evils is still evil and when they start escalating their actions soon it won't be worth it. Please don't try to frame my words in support of your beliefs whatever they may be, when I make broad sweeping statements they are meant for all.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The journos' strategy has backfired. There must have been some collective delusion that they thought their influence could actually pull some weight with the AAAs, even with Gamergate as a potential lever. As I've said before, I don't know what they were thinking. They ragequit their audience.

Ouuuuch.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Every single Fallout game and every single game developed by Bethesda Softworks since the 90s has let you choose what gender to play as.

The supposed 'leak' said the protagonist would be voiced and exclusively male, they were probably expressing relief or even more simply happy to have a feature they liked still included.

I get the feeling that we're bound for a new wave of radicals that will push back against this whole PC, we can see them forming right now but I wonder what will become when they reach full strength.

We could use them against ISIS and solve two problems at once.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I get the feeling that we're bound for a new wave of radicals that will push back against this whole PC, we can see them forming right now but I wonder what will become when they reach full strength.

You may  be right but without real purpose and meaningful strategy they will just be a vociferous and annoying movement that wont implement real change 

You can't stop PC guys, its best just to work within the system :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Whatever you believe to be the lesser of two evils is still evil and when they start escalating their actions soon it won't be worth it. Please don't try to frame my words in support of your beliefs whatever they may be, when I make broad sweeping statements they are meant for all.

Whoa, whoa, I was just trying to ask a question, because I wasn't sure what kind of radicals you were talking about...I assumed that the kind of people frequenting /r/fatpeoplehate (because they're about as anti-PC as you can get, I would think...) would be included in your theory. Personally, I would prefer if the subs had never been banned at all...but they (and some others like them, including other NSFW subs) were permanently disbarred from ever showing up on the front page. The reddit situation went way too far, in my opinion.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You may  be right but without real purpose and meaningful strategy they will just be a vociferous and annoying movement that wont implement real change 

Yes you can, just like Communism eventually bent and traded ideology for the more practical aspects of capitalism and how Capitalism has become more socialized so too will the PC eventually be sanitized. The political correctness crowd want to have a monopoly on what correct means, eventually they will meet with the same thing that caused other systems to change: the public.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Yes you can, just like Communism eventually bent and traded ideology for the more practical aspects of capitalism and how Capitalism has become more socialized so too will the PC eventually be sanitized. The political correctness crowd want to have a monopoly on what correct means, eventually they will meet with the same thing that caused other systems to change: the public.

:lol:

You guys and your hyperbole....PC is not an ideology, no need to compare it to proper global beliefs like Communism  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

:lol:

You guys and your hyperbole....PC is not an ideology, no need to compare it to proper global beliefs like Communism  :biggrin:

It behaves like one and seems to take a lot cues from Marxism supplanting class with race; after all the people making this PC stuff up don't want people realizing that they privileged white kids.

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

You can't stop PC guys, its best just to work within the system original.gif

laughing.gif

You guys and your hyperbole....PC is not an ideology, no need to compare it to proper global beliefs like Communism  happy0203.gif

It behaves like one and seems to take a lot cues from Marxism supplanting class with race; after all the people making this PC stuff up don't want people realizing that they privileged white kids.

If we're talking about Marxism as in what Marx wrote, that isn't really the case. If it did, PC would be advocating an overthrow of the oppressors followed by dictatorship of the previously exploited which would lead to a raceless society. PC is more akin to Puritanical standards of social interaction, in that it's less about making radical changes to a system and more about presentation of ideas and standards of social interaction.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

laughing.gif

You guys and your hyperbole....PC is not an ideology, no need to compare it to proper global beliefs like Communism  happy0203.gif

If we're talking about Marxism as in what Marx wrote, that isn't really the case. If it did, PC would be advocating an overthrow of the oppressors followed by dictatorship of the previously exploited which would lead to a raceless society. PC is more akin to Puritanical standards of social interaction, in that it's less about making radical changes to a system and more about presentation of ideas and standards of social interaction.

That's not a bad definition but can you also tone down the hyperbole ...  " Puritanical standards of social interaction " you guys are real drama queens :)

Its actually very easy to be PC ...just apply yourself 

John Milton 

That's not a bad definition but can you also tone down the hyperbole ...  " Puritanical standards of social interaction "

It's not hyperbole at all. When social conservatives want violence, sexual content, or insults to Christianity removed or toned down because it insults their feelings, they are demanding a form of political correctness.

you guys are real drama queens original.gif

There's a joke here about "ban bossy" I'm too charitable to make.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"you guys are real drama queens"

Look at that. A homophobic remark by a SJW. :)

Oh no Volo....you are not a  drama queen...you more like a drama empress, my gay friends would really enjoy company  :p

John Milton 

laughing.gif

That's not a bad definition but can you also tone down the hyperbole ...  " Puritanical standards of social interaction " you guys are real drama queens :)

Its actually very easy to be PC ...just apply yourself 

You're obviously blind to your bias or have a misguided judgement of what makes the core of political correctness, I'll clarify: Political Correctness is not politeness.

I can politely voice dissent and have differing views without being branded transphobic, or misogynistic. The reason I compare to Communism is because PC reminds me of another term they've used back in Cuba "Ideological Diversionism ". What it meant was that anything that wasn't aligned the ideals of the party was against the law.

Similarly the PC crowd have a desire to do the same, hence their push towards exclusivity over a more inclusive industry via attacking the current status quo rather than creating their own niche. Something that money wise, they should be capable of doing since they have managed in the past to fund projects which so happen are not games but people or series attacking games.

village_idiot.gif

That's not a bad definition but can you also tone down the hyperbole ...  " Puritanical standards of social interaction "

It's not hyperbole at all. When social conservatives want violence, sexual content, or insults to Christianity removed or toned down because it insults their feelings, they are demanding a form of political correctness.

you guys are real drama queens original.gif

There's a joke here about "ban bossy" I'm too charitable to make.

Okay what type of PC are you referring to?

I thought we were discussing PC around gaming related things like this forum?

John Milton 

6vjriLy.jpg

Every single Fallout game and every single game developed by Bethesda Softworks since the 90s has let you choose what gender to play as.

What about Elder Scrolls Adventure: Redguard?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

6vjriLy.jpg

We're trying to forget about that.

I see. Into the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance bin of garbage we'd like to forget it goes then.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I see. Into the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance bin of garbage we'd like to forget it goes then.

Make sure there is room for Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.

Make sure there is room for Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.

I'll put it next to Metroid: Other M.

• Like 1