Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

The AAAs *are* supporting Gamergate, at least tacitly. They don't want the journos to gain any more influence (or to stop losing influence), and they loathe this pseudo-academic "critique" stuff just as much as your average gamer. The thought of having to kiss the ass of some PhD in order to gain an Indie or Social Justice imprimatur is insulting to them. They've got money to make. So by remaining silent on Gamergate and having IGN do the pageantry of adopting an ethics policy (no skin off their nose), the AAAs signalled that they were not in alignment with the journos. And they aren't. They are happy to see Gamergate take these people on--and that enrages the journos all the more. This wasn't a planned strategy on behalf of the AAAs, but it was an easy call to make once Gamergate was in play.

Interesting theory. Do you think he's right?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The AAAs *are* supporting Gamergate, at least tacitly. They don't want the journos to gain any more influence (or to stop losing influence), and they loathe this pseudo-academic "critique" stuff just as much as your average gamer. The thought of having to kiss the ass of some PhD in order to gain an Indie or Social Justice imprimatur is insulting to them. They've got money to make. So by remaining silent on Gamergate and having IGN do the pageantry of adopting an ethics policy (no skin off their nose), the AAAs signalled that they were not in alignment with the journos. And they aren't. They are happy to see Gamergate take these people on--and that enrages the journos all the more. This wasn't a planned strategy on behalf of the AAAs, but it was an easy call to make once Gamergate was in play.

Interesting theory. Do you think he's right?

Sounds very plausible in my eyes. But unless there's an actual quote on this, it is just that: something plausible.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It behaves like one and seems to take a lot cues from Marxism supplanting class with race; after all the people making this PC stuff up don't want people realizing that they privileged white kids.

If we're talking about Marxism as in what Marx wrote, that isn't really the case. If it did, PC would be advocating an overthrow of the oppressors followed by dictatorship of the previously exploited which would lead to a raceless society. PC is more akin to Puritanical standards of social interaction, in that it's less about making radical changes to a system and more about presentation of ideas and standards of social interaction.

I do think "take a lot cues from Marxism supplanting class with race" (and gender) is a fair description.

Not the parts of Marx's theories where he fantasized about the "inevitable" transitions towards Communism that societies would be taking, sure. But they did borrow much of his approach to analyzing the status quo.

E.g. the whole obsession with sorting people into (social/racial/gender) "classes" and then assigning the absolutist labels "oppressed" or "oppressors" to each class, in stark contrast to the liberal worldview of treating justice, morality and desert as a matter of individual choices/actions/circumstances.

SJWs may use a different vocabulary than traditional Marxists, but the actual concepts behind the words are often very similar (e.g. "internalized misogyny" = "false consciousness").

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

E.g. the whole obsession with sorting people into (social/racial/gender) "classes" and then assigning the absolutist labels "oppressed" or "oppressors" to each class, in stark contrast to the liberal worldview of treating justice, morality and desert as a matter of individual choices/actions/circumstances.

The crucial word being absolutist, which is not exclusive to Marxist doctrines by any stretch at all, not exclusive to Marx and most certainly not invented by him. Might as well say that it's Cultural Randism because of the absolutist producer/ parasite type labels she applied to people, or Cultural Torquemadism, or Cultural Fascism. Absolutist theory is completely left/ right agnostic, rightists just like using Cultural Marxism as to them anything left = bad, because it jerks knees or because they're lazy.

The phenomenon labelled 'Cultural Marxism' does exist though, it's just that the label name itself is inaccurate propaganda, at best.

• Like 1

The crucial word being absolutist, which is not exclusive to Marxist doctrines by any stretch at all, not exclusive to Marx and most certainly not invented by him. Might as well say that it's Cultural Randism because of the absolutist producer/ parasite type labels she applied to people, or Cultural Torquemadism, or Cultural Fascism. Absolutist theory is completely left/ right agnostic, rightists just like using Cultural Marxism as to them anything left = bad, because it jerks knees or because they're lazy.

The phenomenon labelled 'Cultural Marxism' does exist though, it's just that the label name itself is inaccurate propaganda, at best.

Its a pity the USSR collapsed hey Zora? That would have been an effective balancing act to the West,  oh well at least you have your museums and once a year public holidays around "Workers Day "  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Might as well say that it's Cultural Randism because of the absolutist producer/ parasite type labels she applied to people

Thanks for reminding me how much I hate, "objectivism" as Rand puts it. What a bs name for it too, as if some one who doesn't agree with her is not objective.

I've thought this as well. I mean, when people tell you don't have to be a marxist to be a cultural marxist then why is it called cultural "marxism"?

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Extremist seems to fit the bill more aptly from what i've heard and read.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Might as well say that it's Cultural Randism

Well, there's a reason why Rand's Objectivism is sometimes nicknamed "the Marxism of the right" :p

Though I think you're deflecting too much if you brush away the comparison between SJWism and Marxism on the grounds that "other ideologies assigns labels to groups too". They do, but they're different kinds of labels, not related to the Marxist "oppressed class" concept.

While I don't like objectivism, I really don't think that one can accuse it of rejecting individual justice in favor of class justice like Marxists and SJWs do... Or put another way: Whatever labels objectivists assign (however childish or ungainly), are cosmetic and not foundational to their conception of justice. They may approve or disapprove of a group of people, but regardless of that consider justice something that needs to be administered equally to everyone regardless of group membership, based on individual actions.

Whereas to the Marxist/SJW, class membership (in an "oppressed" or "oppressor" class) very much determines what kind of "justice" a person deserves, what rights they should be granted or denied, whether their personal success should be assisted or hindered (think quotas), etc.

Edited by Ineth

Well, there's a reason why Rand's Objectivism is sometimes nicknamed "the Marxism of the right" :p

Though I think you're deflecting too much if you brush away the comparison between SJWism and Marxism on the grounds that "other ideologies assigns labels to groups too". They do, but they're different kinds of labels, not related to the Marxist "oppressed class" concept.

While I don't like objectivism, I really don't think that one can accuse it of rejecting individual justice in favor of class justice like Marxists and SJWs do... Or put another way: Whatever labels objectivists assign (however childish or ungainly), are cosmetic and not foundational to their conception of justice. They may approve or disapprove of a group of people, but regardless of that consider justice something that needs to be administered equally to everyone regardless of group membership, based on individual actions.

Whereas to the Marxist/SJW, class membership (in an "oppressed" or "oppressor" class) very much determines what kind of "justice" a person deserves, what rights they should be granted or denied, whether their personal success should be assisted or hindered (think quotas), etc.

SJWism has little in common with Marxism other than assigning privileged groups in comparison to another. Which as Zor pointed out, is hardly unique to Marxism.

To the Marxists, bourgeois are acting in self-interest and while inheritance of class is common, an individual isn't inherently proletarian or bourgeois and such status is mutable. The goal of Marxism is to abolish classes and remove labels like bourgeois and proletarian. There would be no separate standards of rights or justice based on class, because there wouldn't be differing classes to apply these standards to.

To the SJWs, white, cis, male, whatever are acting to perpetuate a oppressive structure because reasons, and identity is immutable. The goal of SJWism, while not clearly defined, seems to be one of hyperidentification with a hierarchy of benefits being handed out based on lack of privilege. In essence this is the opposite of Marxism's goal in that they want to make the identities of race(or general or orientation or whatever) stronger and matter more, while Marxists want classlessness.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

SJWism has little in common with Marxism other than assigning privileged groups in comparison to another. Which as Zor pointed out, is hardly unique to Marxism.

To the Marxists, bourgeois are acting in self-interest and while inheritance of class is common, an individual isn't inherently proletarian or bourgeois and such status is mutable. The goal of Marxism is to abolish classes and remove labels like bourgeois and proletarian. There would be no separate standards of rights or justice based on class, because there wouldn't be differing classes to apply these standards to.

To the SJWs, white, cis, male, whatever are acting to perpetuate a oppressive structure because reasons, and identity is immutable. The goal of SJWism, while not clearly defined, seems to be one of hyperidentification with a hierarchy of benefits being handed out based on lack of privilege. In essence this is the opposite of Marxism's goal in that they want to make the identities of race(or general or orientation or whatever) stronger and matter more, while Marxists want classlessness.

They are really aristocrats on a base level. Creating structures were there are none and assign themselves as experts on how to lead those structures. Useful idiots for those that actually wield power.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The idea that SJWism is an actual movement, and not just some crazies on twitter, is hard to buy into.   getlost.gif

Saw some lady saying "transracial" with a straight face on TV, so perhaps it is spreading.

Speaking of funny crazies on Twitter :

https://twitter.com/Reeckensall/status/610992869470511104

:lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

More fun stuff: https://twitter.com/search?q=mechanical%20apartheid&src=typd

Apparently there is something wrong with Deus Ex now.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Mechanical Apartheid

Tommy_Lee_Facepalm_2574.png

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with said "mechanical apartheid"?  I thought the trailer made it pretty obvious that "mechanical apartheid" bad.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Not really sure what they find problematic, just reading a lot of pouting comments. Oh right, it 'trivializes' the plight of South Africans. Kind of weird bar to have, that, we don't even now how it is handled yet - I guess you can't have any parallel to real world suffering ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's about developers using the word "apartheid" when the main character(s) is white. It doesn't matter if the dev is black.

It's just another day at SJW Central.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Yet another idiotic hill to fight on, I guess.

Hahahahahah

CHuFsQHVEAArnXX.jpg

http://twitter.com/femfreq/status/611229178596233218/photo/1

The industry has spoken.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Hahahahahah 

The industry has spoken.

I can't see the image.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hahahahahah 

The industry has spoken.

I can't see the image.

Now you can.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The idea that SJWism is an actual movement, and not just some crazies on twitter, is hard to buy into. :getlost:

For forum warriors twitter, facebook, etc. Is the reality... i can safely assume that at least 95% of general population and probably nearly 90% of gaming population have no idea what these people are talking about or dismiss them like you dismiss ravings of your street junkie or some radical who is surrounded by crazy mass stroking the ego of some sick commune leader.

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

The idea that SJWism is an actual movement, and not just some crazies on twitter, is hard to buy into. :getlost:

For forum warriors twitter, facebook, etc. Is the reality... i can safely assume that at least 95% of general population and probably nearly 90% of gaming population have no idea what these people are talking about or dismiss them like you dismiss ravings of your street junkie or some radical who is surrounded by crazy mass stroking the ego of some sick commune leader.

Pretty much spot on. As a rather popular game critic has said "they are a group and not a movement, they have no real agenda" paraphrasing here though i could search for the vid. They are doing more harm to the cause they pretend to follow. It´s the downside of social media, where everyone can be heared, but at the same time it´s a good thing, because they are so easily proven wrong.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

To the SJWs, white, cis, male, whatever are acting to perpetuate a oppressive structure because reasons, and identity is immutable.

Yeah, which is why if I were really pushed to pick the most accurate (though perhaps least inaccurate would be fairer) label I'd call the 'Cultural Marxism' phenomenon 'Cultural Fascism' instead due to the belief that some people are just inherently 'bad' due solely to the accident of birth.

To be fair though, they don't really have identity as being immutable, hence the number of mtf transsexuals who are sjws and who are readily accepted. That's a pretty large change to require for acceptance though, certainly.

The idea that SJWism is an actual movement, and not just some crazies on twitter, is hard to buy into.  

They're definitely a movement every bit as much as gamergate is, they'd just label themselves as being 'for social justice' or 'progressives' or whatever instead of being the rather more perjorative 'sjw' their opponents call them. That's pretty much the same as GGers calling themselves 'pro Gamer' instead of 'GooberGobblers'.

Its a pity the USSR collapsed hey Zora? That would have been an effective balancing act to the West,  oh well at least you have your museums and once a year public holidays around "Workers Day "  :biggrin:

Nope, it should have been managed a whole lot better though and the world would be by far the better for it. But in any case few actual Marxists have a hard on for the USSR, rather appropriately it was far more about absolutism than class struggle or anything else, as Eric Blair Orson Welles showed so well in 'Animal Farm'. I'm way incompatible with soviet 'communism' and actual Marxism anyway, I always come out as a left libertarian on political tests- you're far closer to the USSR's actual philosophy than I am.

• Like 1