Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

What I find funny is that Hatred could be an excellent opportunity to raise critiscm of the carnage resulting from a mentally ill person who has access to weaponry. Its highly unlikely Hatred would intentionally do this, but such an experience could highlight the problems of untreated mental illness on society.

Meanwhile, DAI(a game I put about 100 hours into and completed most of the content) receives high praise despite being about killing individuals suckered in to joining a cult or who have become terminally ill because of a religion-sponsored substance abuse problem.

Indeed, most RPGs slaughter thousands for the flimsiest reasons, and not a word is said in complaint. Similarly Postal and other violent games are being defended because they have a sense of humour, a very thin excuse for legitimising simulated violence. Hypocrisy and personal taste interfering in professional opinion I think, just another reason that censorship is wrong. Especially cherry picked censorship.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Killing and murdering imaginary people should be fun and entertaining, not horrible and gruesome, because....reasons.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hatred looks like a more graphically realistic Postal. It looks like a spiritual successor to Postal, in fact. Postal is $4.99 on Steam. Seems a bit wrong that a game (Hatred), that could almost be an HD version or a graphic overhaul of a title (Postal) Steam currently sells, isn't allowed.

Well congrats to all the moralisers out there who took a game about pointless slaughter which didn't have a point and created a much more tolerable purpose for it out for thin air. As a metaphor for saying, "Fawk your PC nonsense". Ironically partially proving the developers right when they did that silly interview where they said games are too PC these days.

Like the Cynical Brit, what I'd really like out of Valve is an answer as to WHY they pulled Hatred off Greenlight.  And not the "Based on what we've seen on Greenlight, we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down." explanation they have already given, because that's a non-answer.  The way I see it (and please, correct me, or provide an addendum, if I'm wrong/incomplete here) the only possible explanations are:

1) Valve deemed the game to be of too poor quality and didn't want to rip off their customers - Hard to take that possibility seriously given the massive amount of shovelware already for sale on Steam.

b) Valve deemed the game broke terms and conditions due to the violent content/killing of innocents - Then why do they continue to sell Postal, Manhunt, GTA, etc?

III) Valve felt a moral objection to releasing the game - See item b,  Also, I do not feel it's appropriate for Valve to act as a judge of morality.

D) Valve was pressured into it by an outside group - In this case I say Valve is chicken****.

Five) Valve did it on a whim for no reason whatsoever - The scariest of all the options only added for the sake of covering all my bases (hopefully).  If this is the case, that's ****ing frightening for a company with this much power to be making such decisions arbitrarily.

Keep in mind that Valve is under no obligation to answer for their actions.  Also keep in mind that you and I are under no obligation to purchase products from them going forward.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=356532461

As of this posting, Hatred is back on Steam.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Wait. So, not only does Valve believe in censorship, they are also cowards and flip flopping evil nazis piece of craps? HAHAHAHAHA

P.S. This *might* very well be my first ever political moral oriented game purchase ever. I guess there's an exception to every rule. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fun Fact: I am pleased to see the game back on Greenlight.

Fun Fact 2:  I will not vote yes for it to be greelit.

At first glance, fun fact 1 and fun fact 2 may seem to be opposed to each other, but they're not.  I personally don't find the game appealing.  In fact, I find it somewhat revolting.  I have zero desire to play the game, and do not see any value in it, hence my refusal to vote yes.  All those things said, I'm glad it's back on Greenlight.  Why, might you ask?  Because I do not feel my opinion of the game to be law.  Just because I do not find value in the game (based on the trailer show so far, obviously, I haven't played it), doesn't mean someone else doesn't.  My opinion is my own and it serves nobody else but me.  I will not presume to pass judgement on the game for anyone else.  Those people can do so on their own.  If someone else feels they can derive enjoyment and value out of the game, and hence votes yes, that is their prerogative.  

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, I am in the same boat, Keyrock. I have no desire to play it, but I am glad it is there for those that do. I don't really enjoy GTA, manhunt, postal, or any of those games that have criminal violence. I think my exception was Sleeping Dogs, but the majority of that game is beat em up style... It's like John Woo made a GTA game. I enjoyed it. Anyway, glad Hatred is back up for greenlight, and I hope it gets the same bump as last time. I just won't "Yes" vote something I have no interest in playing... Even for political reasons.

Good, that means I was able to vote No thanks/Not interested. 

I'm disappointed in Steam to bowing to some public pressure and putting Hatred back

But at  least I can also vote " No "  :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wait. So, not only does Valve believe in censorship, they are also cowards and flip flopping evil nazis piece of craps? HAHAHAHAHA

P.S. This *might* very well be my first ever political moral oriented game purchase ever. I guess there's an exception to every rule. :)

Volo we discussed this before, its not a good idea you buy this game for a number of reasons. Lets not bring this up again?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"I'm disappointed in Steam to bowing to some public pressure and putting Hatred back"

Huh? You lvoed it when they bowed to pressure to ban it? Why so glum chum? Yiou love  it when people bow to your whims but not the other wave around?

"Volo we discussed this before, its not a good idea you buy this game for a number of reasons. Lets not bring this up again?"

I remember. You feared that the game would cause me to go on a mass murder spree (talk about  bullying on the internet ansd false accusations which SJWs love to do). Even thoguh you gladly support me mass  murdering a bunch of humans in DA3. LMAO

But, then agin, you've yet to mansplain why its acceptable for a male (you) to tell a young woman (my niece)  what she can or cannot do. because you believe in slavery and controlling women's bodies. WHY DO YOU HATE WOMEN SO MUCH!?!

• Like 1

Btw when I said it would be in Valve's best interest to justify their decision, this is part of the reason why: https://mobile.twitter.com/Eliah_R/status/544787426850267136

EU law is by no means my forte but I may check into this later as the parallels between this game and games like Postal and GTA does highlight a valid complaint and potential for bias. Sleeping soon but I'll try to check into this later.

This was bogus. In a nutshell and to spare you guys all the details, the law it's citing is more to prevent a retailer from showing bias towards one product they stock over another. In this case Steam would not have stocked Hatred, thus it'd be irrelevant.

I am genuinely surprised.

Why?

Steam and Valve likely aren't fully aware of the controversy surrounding the game and could very well have pulled it for other reasons, then after discussion, changed their minds. It was only a possibility GG influenced their choice. Likewise, Valve is a notoriously relaxed company in practice and doesn't really have strict rules or guidelines they follow, so I'm not surprised at all they'd go back on a decision.

Volo we discussed this before, its not a good idea you buy this game for a number of reasons. Lets not bring this up again?

I take offense to this because the tone of your post implies that it's factual it's not a good idea to buy this game. No, that's your opinion, and your opinion is not law. The moment you try to lord your opinion over others as though it were law, that's pretty much how tyranny is born.

Likewise I don't believe we ever discussed this "number of reasons" and I would actually be very very willing to play devil's advocate and defend this game, seeing as there's just as much research to suggest such games provide an outlet that helps diminish real life instances of violence and are only truly harmful when played by younger children (12 and under).

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Random comment on reddit for GG that made me D'AWWWWWW:

I am in my 40s and have just found this community. Let me say that from lurking in here for a while - you all have given me new hope for the future.

It has been so depressing in my generation to have fought for free speech from the religious right, just to see the SJW hard left come in and do much worse and be much more effective at it. SJWs ruin careers left and right leaving destruction in their wake.

You may have been taught about "McCarthyism," "Blacklisting" - well straight up the left wing is doing the same thing to people now, only they are doing it more effectively than conservatives ever did.

I hope you will learn from this and stand up against efforts to fire people and ruin them over what they believe, think, or say - no matter who the tyrants are.

The left is more of a danger to this country now than the right ever was.

A big thank you to this community for giving me hope that all millennials are not SJW robots without the balls to have independent thoughts or challenge the new totalitarianism.

Freedom really must be won again EVERY generation.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

"I'm disappointed in Steam to bowing to some public pressure and putting Hatred back"

Huh? You lvoed it when they bowed to pressure to ban it? Why so glum chum? Yiou love  it when people bow to your whims but not the other wave around?

"Volo we discussed this before, its not a good idea you buy this game for a number of reasons. Lets not bring this up again?"

I remember. You feared that the game would cause me to go on a mass murder spree (talk about  bullying on the internet ansd false accusations which SJWs love to do). Even thoguh you gladly support me mass  murdering a bunch of humans in DA3. LMAO

But, then agin, you've yet to mansplain why its acceptable for a male (you) to tell a young woman (my niece)  what she can or cannot do. because you believe in slavery and controlling women's bodies. WHY DO YOU HATE WOMEN SO MUCH!?!

You see Volo I'm not like some of you guys who wanted to turn this whole furore into a clear example of censorship, despite the fact it wasn't

I respect Valves decision to Greenlight this game or not

I would prefer it wasn't distributed on Steam but I am not going to think less of Steam if they decide to go this route. Not everything is a conspiracy theory  that  means SJW are trying to influence our lives

Valve is an independent company and they are entitled to support or not support any game they want

John Milton 

I am in my 40s and have just found this community. Let me say that from lurking in here for a while - you all have given me new hope for the future.

It has been so depressing in my generation to have fought for free speech from the religious right, just to see the SJW hard left come in and do much worse and be much more effective at it. SJWs ruin careers left and right leaving destruction in their wake.

You may have been taught about "McCarthyism," "Blacklisting" - well straight up the left wing is doing the same thing to people now, only they are doing it more effectively than conservatives ever did.

I hope you will learn from this and stand up against efforts to fire people and ruin them over what they believe, think, or say - no matter who the tyrants are.

A big thank you to this community for giving me hope that all millennials are not SJW robots without the balls to have independent thoughts or challenge the new totalitarianism.

He sounds like a fanatic who is exaggerating the intentions of SJW and people who share there concerns. Who is he again?

John Milton 

He sounds like a fanatic who is exaggerating the intentions of SJW and people who share there concerns. Who is he again?

Please explain what part of his post sounded "fanatical."

Edited by Longknife

"Valve is an independent company and they are entitled to support or not support any game they want"

I am an independent human being who is entitled to criticize any company I want.

My neice is also an independent human being who is entitled to decide what games splays or doesn't play. Why do you feel the need to control and enslave that woman? Please mansplain that.

Hatred is back? Goodie!

I will vote 'yes' on this one, because i can already see mods of:

- Main NPC being a fat, ugly cat-lady that kills everyone supporting the patriarchy

- Main NPC killing SJWs and pretty much every minority group that they claim to "protect"

- "Breivik"-mode

- Islamists killing infidels, Christian crusaders killing infidels, Jews killing Goyms, and so on

- "Love"-mode. Instead killing, you engage in involentary love-making

I see this as a potential on exploring the darker areas of the human mind. "Behind the shadow of feeling" as some people might say. In contrary to what the Bruces of the world think, i know that venturing into those thoughts will produce great art.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy