Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

Hatred is back? Goodie!

I will vote 'yes' on this one, because i can already see mods of:

- Main NPC being a fat, ugly cat-lady that kills everyone supporting the patriarchy

- Main NPC killing SJWs and pretty much every minority group that they claim to "protect"

- "Breivik"-mode

- Islamists killing infidels, Christian crusaders killing infidels, Jews killing Goyms, and so on

- "Love"-mode. Instead killing, you engage in involentary love-making

I see this as a potential on exploring the darker areas of the human mind. "Behind the shadow of feeling" as some people might say. In contrary to what the Bruces of the world think, i know that venturing into those thoughts will produce great art.

Is this a real post that you are being serious about ? So  you are interested in exploring the darker side of humanity, not sure why you want to do this but its your choice, would you support a Hatred game where you get to kill only gay people or maybe black people?

I have a real issue with people being able to be live out there bigoted murder fantasies in a game, I think it is abhorrent and I will very surprised if Valve would be associated with this type of game

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"would you support a Hatred game where you get to kill only gay people or maybe black people?"

I'd support a Hatred game where you got to kill only hetereosexual white male gamers. I bet you would too. :)

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hatred is back? Goodie!

I will vote 'yes' on this one, because i can already see mods of:

- Main NPC being a fat, ugly cat-lady that kills everyone supporting the patriarchy

- Main NPC killing SJWs and pretty much every minority group that they claim to "protect"

- "Breivik"-mode

- Islamists killing infidels, Christian crusaders killing infidels, Jews killing Goyms, and so on

- "Love"-mode. Instead killing, you engage in involentary love-making

I see this as a potential on exploring the darker areas of the human mind. "Behind the shadow of feeling" as some people might say. In contrary to what the Bruces of the world think, i know that venturing into those thoughts will produce great art.

Is this a real post that you are being serious about ? So if you are interested in exploring the darker side of humanity, not sure why you want to do this but its your choice, would you support a Hatred game where you get to kill only gay people or maybe black people?

I have a real issue with people being able to be live out there bigoted murder fantasies in a game, I think it is abhorrent and I will very surprised if Valve would be associated with this type of game

Because you as well as i know that Steam is already a monopoly on online distribution. They take up 70% of all sales with GoG, Origin and others fighting for the rest. Taking away a fully functioning product that does not break any laws is censorship in this regard.

Now, back to your issue with the game itself. Sounds like you're interested in controlling the fantasies of other people, why is that? Why can those fantasies be explored in music (most of metal, but sometimes in other genre as even extending to popular music www.youtube.com/watch?v=E67UQTOvH6M) and in art as in Goya's 'Saturn devouring his son'.....but not in games?

I

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Random comment on reddit for GG that made me D'AWWWWWW:

I am in my 40s and have just found this community. Let me say that from lurking in here for a while - you all have given me new hope for the future.

It has been so depressing in my generation to have fought for free speech from the religious right, just to see the SJW hard left come in and do much worse and be much more effective at it. SJWs ruin careers left and right leaving destruction in their wake.

You may have been taught about "McCarthyism," "Blacklisting" - well straight up the left wing is doing the same thing to people now, only they are doing it more effectively than conservatives ever did.

I hope you will learn from this and stand up against efforts to fire people and ruin them over what they believe, think, or say - no matter who the tyrants are.

The left is more of a danger to this country now than the right ever was.

A big thank you to this community for giving me hope that all millennials are not SJW robots without the balls to have independent thoughts or challenge the new totalitarianism.

Freedom really must be won again EVERY generation.

He sounds like a fanatic who is exaggerating the intentions of SJW and people who share there concerns. Who is he again?

Please explain what part of his post sounded "fanatical."

No problem, the word fanatic can have various definitions. In the context of this debate I consider that person a fanatic because he is obviously embellishing and exaggerating the influence that SJW have. He uses words like "tyrant " and how the " left is a danger to the future of the country ".

Its scare tactics and I encourage people to ignore this subjective view of the SJ agenda

There are real issues in the world we should be concerned with, SJ ideas are not something that will threaten your lifestyle in respects to gaming. Unless you can give me just 3 examples of where SJW initiatives have fundamentally changed your gaming experience I would just ignore his post as propaganda :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"would you support a Hatred game where you get to kill only gay people or maybe black people?"

I'd support a Hatred game where you got to kill only hetereosexual white male gamers. I bet you would too. :)

Well I wouldn't like to play any game where you only  target and kill a certain demographic, what would be the purpose of this? Why select only gamers...this is a form of discrimination and not something I would condone

John Milton 

SJWs, by definition, are fanatics. They murder people. And, then write multiple articles about it. They get women fired. they haraass women. they manspalin to women.  They censor and ban games even though they originally claimed that wasn't a goal. They even attack their allies who aren't as extreme as them - see SJW attacks on  groups like BIO. They feel the need to enslave, control, and act like nazis. They like to  tell teenage  young ladies what games they are allowed or not allowed to play. They threaten people with death. In essence, theya re evil.

So yeah, SJWs by defintion are fanatics and  tried to fundamendetlaly tired to ruin my gaming experience. the fact they failed only shows how pathetic they are.

\

SJWs do not care about women. They do not care about other minorities. they care about power, control, slavery, nazism, and evil.

Equality is not in their vocabulary. It is in mine.

:) :) :)

"Well I wouldn't like to play any game where you only  target and kill a certain demographic, what would be the purpose of this? Why select only gamers...this is a form of discrimination and not something I would condone"

It's not real. Only psychos believe otherwise.

Edited by Volourn

SJWs, by definition, are fanatics. They murder people. And, then write multiple articles about it. They get women fired. they haraass women. they manspalin to women.  They censor and ban games even though they originally claimed that wasn't a goal. They even attack their allies who aren't as extreme as them - see SJW attacks on  groups like BIO. They feel the need to enslave, control, and act like nazis. They like to  tell teenage  young ladies what games they are allowed or not allowed to play. They threaten people with death. In essence, theya re evil.

So yeah, SJWs by defintion are fanatics and  tried to fundamendetlaly tired to ruin my gaming experience. the fact they failed only shows how pathetic they are.

\

SJWs do not care about women. They do not care about other minorities. they care about power, control, slavery, nazism, and evil.

Equality is not in their vocabulary. It is in mine.

:) :) :)

"Well I wouldn't like to play any game where you only  target and kill a certain demographic, what would be the purpose of this? Why select only gamers...this is a form of discrimination and not something I would condone"

It's not real. Only psychos believe otherwise.

I refuse to believe that you don't see the obvious issue with any game that targeted a specific demographic. So for example a game where you only killed African Americans? This would not be acceptable to many people and understandably so :)

John Milton 

Funny... Most war games like COD tend to do exactly that.

KILL THE RUSSIANS! THEY ARE EVIL!

KILL THE AMERIKAN! THEY ARE EVIL!

KILL X!

\

They are games. GAMES. Not real.

You must think Anthony Hopkins is an actual cannibal since he had no problem playing one if you cna't tell the difference between fake and real... Thnakfully, Mr. Hopkins can tell the difference and doesn't (to my knowledge) go around eating people in real life...

*TO BE NOTED* inform Hollywood that they should not hire Bruce to star in any remakes of Hannibal.... it might turn him into a cannibal...

Hey Bruce, never play mafia man. it can kill you :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hey Bruce, never play mafia man. it can kill you :)

Funny enough I played Mafia 2 and I really enjoyed it, I liked there interpretation of the game world and the fact it was an open world

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Random comment on reddit for GG that made me D'AWWWWWW:

I am in my 40s and have just found this community. Let me say that from lurking in here for a while - you all have given me new hope for the future.

It has been so depressing in my generation to have fought for free speech from the religious right, just to see the SJW hard left come in and do much worse and be much more effective at it. SJWs ruin careers left and right leaving destruction in their wake.

You may have been taught about "McCarthyism," "Blacklisting" - well straight up the left wing is doing the same thing to people now, only they are doing it more effectively than conservatives ever did.

I hope you will learn from this and stand up against efforts to fire people and ruin them over what they believe, think, or say - no matter who the tyrants are.

The left is more of a danger to this country now than the right ever was.

A big thank you to this community for giving me hope that all millennials are not SJW robots without the balls to have independent thoughts or challenge the new totalitarianism.

Freedom really must be won again EVERY generation.

He sounds like a fanatic who is exaggerating the intentions of SJW and people who share there concerns. Who is he again?

Please explain what part of his post sounded "fanatical."

No problem, the word fanatic can have various definitions. In the context of this debate I consider that person a fanatic because he is obviously embellishing and exaggerating the influence that SJW have. He uses words like "tyrant " and how the " left is a danger to the future of the country ".

Its scare tactics and I encourage people to ignore this subjective view of the SJ agenda

There are real issues in the world we should be concerned with, SJ ideas are not something that will threaten your lifestyle in respects to gaming. Unless you can give me just 3 examples of where SJW initiatives have fundamentally changed your gaming experience I would just ignore his post as propaganda :yes:

I used the word tyrant not two posts ago, and I find it odd you consider what he's doing an exaggeration when you simply have not experienced the era he's referencing. You're basically claiming a parallel he's drawing is inaccurate and ridiculous when he experienced both events first-hand whereas you have not. Likewise, while I would normally agree a statement like "the left is a danger to this country" is a ridiculous hyperbole, seeing as it's coming from someone who obviously once criticized the right in another decade, I don't see it as hate-filled. Furthermore - and you could not have known this - the very same poster goes on to explain he thinks this transcends left vs. right and is simply an authoritarian issue that all sides can be guilty of.

You are basically claiming to understand someone's life experiences better than they themselves do. By all means you could possibly find someone from his age group with opposing views and cite them, but you cannot seek to discredit someone and say that they are exaggerating their claims, especially when you do not even know them.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Hey Bruce, never play mafia man. it can kill you original.gif

Funny enough I played Mafia 2 and I really enjoyed it, I liked there interpretation of the game world and the fact it was an open world

Ah sorry, I forget about your double standards :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Seems like not only is Hatred back on Steam, Gabe Newell himself did send an email to the devs and apologized to them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5C0d5pCUAESyzd.jpg:large

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Seems like not only is Hatred back on Steam, Gabe Newell himself did send an email to the devs and apologized to them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5C0d5pCUAESyzd.jpg:large

I just regain my trust in humanity

• Like 1

Fair enough, it probably may appear to undermine the purpose of Greenlight. But there should be terms and conditions that allows Valve that  under certain circumstances to remove games. And more importantly its not like they do this often

Alas what happens Bruce when those terms don't share your views?

This track of thought that we need people to decide for us what to and not play is a slippery slope to bad bad things.

Valve itself has been a fairly upstanding company

Things change, everthing is in motion, nothing stays the same etc etc.

I'm disappointed in Steam to bowing to some public pressure and putting Hatred back

But at  least I can also vote " No "

I was disappointed that Steam bowed to public pressure and pulled Hatred.

But now I can vote "Yes"

And then proceed to buy the game. o:)

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Is this a real post that you are being serious about ? So  you are interested in exploring the darker side of humanity, not sure why you want to do this but its your choice, would you support a Hatred game where you get to kill only gay people or maybe black people?

I'd support any game being made with any kind of content, more or less.

Now if someone would mod BruceVC into Hatered.... I might even consider buying it.

Because frankly at this point I believe you are an insufferable hypocrite, thinking you know what is best for everyone and trying to mind police the world.

Adn then you claim SJW's aren't a problem.

Of course...you don't see though policing and censorship as a problem.

For the greater good, right?

hotfuzzgreatergood.jpg

• Like 3

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Look the reality is are you the best person to decide what games  Steam distributes? You guys have no filters and I doubt anything would be considered inappropriate

Also when it comes to real censorship you right it can be very subjective and hard to manage. But this is not this type of example, you just need to accept that Valve does know more about these things than most of us and they made the right decision.

Bruce?

• Like 3

Must be some impressive vote brigades marching on the Greenlight page

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Very much so, no way this game passed Greenlight based on its merit. That's what you get when you start to tell consumers what is and isn't good for them.

It's like these people have never heard of the Streisand effect.

Anyways, I'm not going to buy the game but unlike some fascists I do believe it has the right to exist. Part of free speech is accepting that works you don't agree with have a right to exist and should not be censored because someone is offended.

And Hatred is actually about equality, you can kill anyone regardless of who they are. :D

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Got to say this is some lucky timing for these devs. Right when these issues are at a peak. Could only top that if the game was ready to ship now.

Like I said before whoever got it banned and all the outraged out there have given this game a purpose it did not have before. Now most people that are going to be playing it will be because it's a middle finger to the would be morality police.

We have a user or two from Poland here, yes?

I ask because anti-GG is labeling the developers of Hatred as "literally Neo-Nazis," to quote them.

Here: http://****novideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by

I link it because....yknow it's funny, I read the little examples of them being Neo-Nazis and it's like "ONE OF THE FIRST TATTOOS ONE OF THEM EVER CREATED AT HIS OLD JOB WAS A SYMBOL THAT IS SOMETIMES LIKED BY NEO-NAZIS IN THE BALKAN REGION. ANOTHER ONCE ADMITTED TO BEING A FAN OF A BOXING LEAGUE THAT ONCE BANNED A BOXER FOR BEING SUPPORTIVE OF GAY RIGHTS. ARE THESE NOT THE LITERAL SCUM OF THE EARTH AND UNDENIABLE NEO-NAZIS???"  I'm at the point where I read it and I'm like "can't tell if actually Neo-Nazis or if these people are exaggerating things."

It's quite literally "the Boy who Cried Wolf." Here's a situation where they may be honest to god Neo-Nazis, and I have no idea simply because I've learned SJWs will literally call anyone Nazis and thus I'm skeptical.

So yeah do we have anyone from Poland here? Are those groups they reference as hate groups or homophobic or whatever -ACTUALLY- hate groups or things Neo Nazis flock to, or are they grasping at straws there?

Either way is irrelevant to me. Even if they were Neo-Nazis, the game doesn't spout Neo-Nazi doctrine so it's irrelevant. It's like you hate Hitler's paintings because they're bad painting, not because a Nazi painted it.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?